Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study We do not love the Lord!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
How many times do we find ourselves having little time to serve the Lord, whether it is through tithing, prayer or ushering? We often complain that the Lord demands too much of our time when we serve in church as musicians and look at our watches when the preacher preach a little too long for our liking. We hardly spent time on personal worship or prayer or bible study.

Instead, we spent our time on watching televisions, playing games and reading secular books. We spent so more time on doing our own stuffs than we spent with the Lord or serving God.

Do we not understand that doing these things is merely a chasing after the wind?

Ecclesiastes 1:13-14

13 And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. 14 I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.

Yet, we still think so highly of ourselves as Christians and think if ever we are persecuted for the Lord, we will not betray Him as we truly love the Lord! Do we truly love Him?

Why are we not spending more time with Him, then? The Lord commanded us to tithe. Why are we spending our money on the things we like instead of tithing to God? (Leviticus 27:30) The Lord wants us to use our talents and abilities for fellow believers. (1 Peter 4:10–11) Why are we using our talents and abilities on making money and other things than serving the church. How many of us actively volunteer in church services? You cannot serve both God and money at the same time. (Matthew 6:24) Don’t deceive yourselves that you love God when you spend more time on earning an income for yourself than serving God. God wants us to look after the needs of the helpless and oppressed. (Proverbs 31:8-9) Are we doing that? If so, why are we not taking an active stand against abortions and giving more of our money to the poor? God is against homosexuality. (Leviticus 20:13) Are we taking an active stand against it? If we truly love the Lord and will be willing to be persecuted for the Lord’s sake, why are we silent over the abortion and homosexuality issue? Why are we hiding in our own little Christian corner instead of confronting the world for its wickedness? Why don't we speak out more against evil? Is it a wonder society is losing their sense of right and wrong, and having no fear of God? God commanded us to share the gospel with all creation. Have we done that?

If not, it is time to repent and admit that we do not truly love the Lord! God promises to make us whiter than snow if we confess our sins to Him. (Psalm 51:9) The thing is, we must admit that we sin and confess. Then, we need to slowly take steps to love Him more. Start by spending more time with Him reading the bible or praying. Then, slowly, one step at a time, do the other things!

To read more articles like this from me, visit http://curiousaboutgod.42web.io/

What makes you think that many of us are not giving our all to God? Are you giving your all to Him everyday?

Hey All,
Your study seems judgemental chingjasmine. You keep saying we all need to do more, more, and more. Please tell us the more that you are doing so we might have an example of what you mean.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

How many times do we find ourselves having little time to serve the Lord, whether it is through tithing, prayer or ushering? We often complain that the Lord demands too much of our time when we serve in church as musicians and look at our watches when the preacher preach a little too long for our liking. We hardly spent time on personal worship or prayer or bible study.

Just a word of advice: When you use "we," as you have in this quotation from your OP, you do two inadvisable things: You include yourself in your criticism of certain behaviors in others, and you make an unwarranted assumption about your reader.

If you are guilty of the very thing you're criticizing in others and enjoining them to abandon, you sharply undercut your right to criticize or advise them.

Romans 2:19-24
19 ...if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,
20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth—
21 you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal?
22 You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
23 You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law.
24 For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Also, it may well be that your readers are not guilty of the things you've assumed are true of them (implied by your use of "we"). It could be that they spend much time on personal worship of God and Bible study; it could be they never look at their watch while listening to a sermon. When, by using "we," you lump these readers in with the ones you're criticizing, you give the ones not guilty of your criticisms cause to wonder at your lack of care in making assumptions about your readers. Perhaps such a lack of care extends to your thinking generally?

For these reasons, it would be better not to use "we" in your articles.

Moderator: Kindly remove the link in this thread as I just become aware that I am not supposed to self-advertise.
Hi C,
You had joined back in 2014.
Are you planning on being a participating member here, or are you just advertising?

We're going to leave the link for now.
I'm hoping you stay.

Hidden In Him
please take note.

Just a word of advice: When you use "we," as you have in this quotation from your OP, you do two inadvisable things: You include yourself in your criticism of certain behaviors in others, and you make an unwarranted assumption about your reader.

If you are guilty of the very thing you're criticizing in others and enjoining them to abandon, you sharply undercut your right to criticize or advise them.

Romans 2:19-24
19 ...if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,
20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth—
21 you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal?
22 You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
23 You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law.
24 For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Also, it may well be that your readers are not guilty of the things you've assumed are true of them (implied by your use of "we"). It could be that they spend much time on personal worship of God and Bible study; it could be they never look at their watch while listening to a sermon. When, by using "we," you lump these readers in with the ones you're criticizing, you give the ones not guilty of your criticisms cause to wonder at your lack of care in making assumptions about your readers. Perhaps such a lack of care extends to your thinking generally?

For these reasons, it would be better not to use "we" in your articles.
I understand what you're saying but how would you state the first sentence?

Instead, we spent our time on watching televisions, playing games and reading secular books. We spent so more time on doing our own stuffs than we spent with the Lord or serving God.

Do we not understand that doing these things is merely a chasing after the wind?

Ecclesiastes 1:13-14

13 And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. 14 I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.

Yet, we still think so highly of ourselves as Christians and think if ever we are persecuted for the Lord, we will not betray Him as we truly love the Lord! Do we truly love Him?

Why are we not spending more time with Him, then? The Lord commanded us to tithe. Why are we spending our money on the things we like instead of tithing to God? (Leviticus 27:30) The Lord wants us to use our talents and abilities for fellow believers. (1 Peter 4:10–11) Why are we using our talents and abilities on making money and other things than serving the church. How many of us actively volunteer in church services? You cannot serve both God and money at the same time. (Matthew 6:24) Don’t deceive yourselves that you love God when you spend more time on earning an income for yourself than serving God. God wants us to look after the needs of the helpless and oppressed. (Proverbs 31:8-9) Are we doing that? If so, why are we not taking an active stand against abortions and giving more of our money to the poor? God is against homosexuality. (Leviticus 20:13) Are we taking an active stand against it? If we truly love the Lord and will be willing to be persecuted for the Lord’s sake, why are we silent over the abortion and homosexuality issue? Why are we hiding in our own little Christian corner instead of confronting the world for its wickedness? Why don't we speak out more against evil? Is it a wonder society is losing their sense of right and wrong, and having no fear of God? God commanded us to share the gospel with all creation. Have we done that?

If not, it is time to repent and admit that we do not truly love the Lord! God promises to make us whiter than snow if we confess our sins to Him. (Psalm 51:9) The thing is, we must admit that we sin and confess. Then, we need to slowly take steps to love Him more. Start by spending more time with Him reading the bible or praying. Then, slowly, one step at a time, do the other things!

To read more articles like this from me, visit http://curiousaboutgod.42web.io/
Words to a song by Randy Stonehill:

(Chorus:)
That's why, that's why we don't love God,
Although our lips feign praise, our hearts are far away.
That's why, that's why we don't love God,
We're so consumed with self, we can't love anybody else.

1. We mask the nakedness of our mortality,
Cloaked in this poisoned pride, and the illusion of control.
We need the gift of grace more than the air we breathe,
But as it draws us near, still it repels our stubborn souls. (Chorus)

2. Why are we so afraid, guarded and counterfeit?
Is it because we know all the shadows we conceal?
And we are so alone - wolves in the winter snow,
Never imagining that this mercy could be real. (Chorus)

(Bridge:)
We say we need a little help, we need some new direction,
Yeah, avoid the blessing like a curse.
We're only lying to ourselves, what we need is resurrection;
What we need is second birth!

That's why, that's why we don't love,
That's why, that's why we don't love God.

I understand what you're saying but how would you state the first sentence?

"How many times do we find ourselves having little time to serve the Lord, whether it is through tithing, prayer or ushering?"

Here are some alternatives:

"How many times I've found myself having little time to serve the Lord..."

"Many times in the past, I've found myself having little time to serve the Lord..."

"Some believers have difficulty finding time to serving the Lord..."

"Do you find yourself having difficulty finding time to serve the Lord...?"

Back