Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Are the Gifts/Works of God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Alfred Persson

MR
2024 Supporter
I agree with all of the above.
Could you expound more on item no. 4?

Although not in favor of reformed theology,
the above are 100% correct for any denomination that is teaching what Jesus taught.
(and not washed down, as you've stated).

Thanks for your reply.
Its a key tenet of Reformed theology—sola fide, or "faith alone."

Here's what is generally meant by this statement:

Salvation by Grace Through Faith: Salvation is entirely a gift of God's grace and cannot be earned by human effort.

Denial of Works-Based Salvation
: The statement is a clear rejection of the notion that any kind of works, religious rituals, payment of money etc., must precede the reception of God's saving grace.

But it is not a denial one must repent, show genuine faith in Christ and God for their salvation.

I (and I believe MacArthur) do not deem repentance and belief as a "work.' How can one be saved by "faith alone" if they don't have faith?

Peter equated repentance with salvation:

NKJ 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9 NKJ)

Its a key tenet of Reformed theology—sola fide, or "faith alone."

Here's what is generally meant by this statement:

Salvation by Grace Through Faith: Salvation is entirely a gift of God's grace and cannot be earned by human effort.

If this is what is meant by preparatory work, then I'm sure most probably all Christians agree.
In Ephesians 2:8 we find that ALL OF IT is a gift: Salvation, Faith and Grace (not in t hat order).
Denial of Works-Based Salvation: The statement is a clear rejection of the notion that any kind of works, religious rituals, payment of money etc., must precede the reception of God's saving grace.

Correct.
It's either true or not true...
It's true.

But it is not a denial one must repent, show genuine faith in Christ and God for their salvation.

I (and I believe MacArthur) do not deem repentance and belief as a "work.' How can one be saved by "faith alone" if they don't have faith?

I belief you're correct.
John MacArthur has not stated (in any of his sermons I've heard) that faith is a work.
Although some reformed do believe this. We have one as a member that believes faith is a work.
Paul spoke so much against this that I wonder why it's even necessary to have the debate.
"If it is by faith, then it cannot be by work"...or V V.

Peter equated repentance with salvation:

NKJ 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9 NKJ)
Amen to that.
Strange that you should use 2 Peter 3:9
I usually use that verse to show that God does not pick and choose, but waits patiently for us.
(let's not derail).

If this is what is meant by preparatory work, then I'm sure most probably all Christians agree.
In Ephesians 2:8 we find that ALL OF IT is a gift: Salvation, Faith and Grace (not in t hat order).

Correct.
It's either true or not true...
It's true.

I belief you're correct.
John MacArthur has not stated (in any of his sermons I've heard) that faith is a work.
Although some reformed do believe this. We have one as a member that believes faith is a work.
Paul spoke so much against this that I wonder why it's even necessary to have the debate.
"If it is by faith, then it cannot be by work"...or V V.

Amen to that.
Strange that you should use 2 Peter 3:9
I usually use that verse to show that God does not pick and choose, but waits patiently for us.
(let's not derail).
Hey All,
Quick add-on to the conversation:
As mentioned the faith to believe is of God. (Ephesians 2:8-10) We tend to leave verse 10 out of the explanation.

Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Verse 10 tells us why. It also clarifies that the grace, salvation, and faith we have are all "His workmanship" through Christ, unto (future tense) good works. Verse 10 tells us that these "good works" come after grace through faith in Jesus. Which, by implication, makes them the work of God.
Here's the question: How do we. "walk in them" (good works)? That is clearly a mixed metaphor.

Or is it???

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
PS: I left out that faith is a gift of of the Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back