Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What are we going to do for all of eternity?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What are we going to do for all of eternity?

Glorify God, of course. Those angels that John saw in Revelation were singing "Holy, Holy, Holy!" before the throne of God - always have and always will be. God created us for His glory and forever we will be enthralled and amazed with God's glory. As a man, which Moses found out, we cannot see God in His full glory lest we die, but in our redeemed bodies seeing God in his full beauty and glory is reward enough for a lifetime of faithful obedience to God.

"You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures evermore" (Psalm 16:11)

Hmmmmm. . . . apparently..."God's glory" wasn't enough for "a third of the angels". Have you ever wondered why that is? I know I have.

Orion said:
Hmmmmm. . . . apparently..."God's glory" wasn't enough for "a third of the angels". Have you ever wondered why that is? I know I have.

Sure I have. With the limited information we have on Satan's fall, one may possibly assume that pride and self-importance rose up in the case of Satan in which the glory given to the angels as well became a point of boasting for Satan. It certainly is an interesting question to take the view point of Arminianism into eternity to wonder if even a believer may apostatize in Heaven or eternity - however upon careful consideration of the covenant promises of God one will realize that the covenant is everlasting and God has promised to keep those who were faithful - not one shall be taken out of His hand (John 10:28). Satan for his part has never been redeemed nor is in covenant with God. So I do not think that the past case of the apostasy of Satan and the other 1/3 of the angels will apply to believers in the future with God in eternity.

Your supposition is very theoretical, though. Regardless, IF god is supposed to be so wonderful and magnificent, it begs the question of how any created being could do anything other than "be at awe", . . .but somehow, we have created beings believing it was possible to rise to the height of its creator, . . . then convincing 1/3 of other created beings that it WAS possible. . . . . No, this idea is hardly believable.

As for "what you'll be doing in heaven", and the answer, "glorifying god", . . . do you find anything wrong with the idea of any being expecting, or at least not denying, the constant praise of lower lifeforms? I believe there is a word for such a state, . . . one not all that positive.

Orion said:
Your supposition is very theoretical, though. Regardless, IF god is supposed to be so wonderful and magnificent, it begs the question of how any created being could do anything other than "be at awe", . . .but somehow, we have created beings believing it was possible to rise to the height of its creator, . . . then convincing 1/3 of other created beings that it WAS possible. . . . . No, this idea is hardly believable.

As for "what you'll be doing in heaven", and the answer, "glorifying god", . . . do you find anything wrong with the idea of any being expecting, or at least not denying, the constant praise of lower lifeforms? I believe there is a word for such a state, . . . one not all that positive.

Well I don't necessarily mean to imply that for eternity we will be standing around God's throne staring at Him, though I am sure the adoration of God will not cease. There are additional considerations of the Millennial Reign and the New Heaven & Earth in which believers are pictured as active in reigning with Christ so there will be other activities as well, no doubt in dispensing righteousness and justice in our reigns. I don't think God's glory is supposed to be some "mesmerizing elixir," but even from brief glimpses that man has already gathered of God, as historically documented in the texts of the Hebrew Scriptures, people such as Moses, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, and the Apostle John were among those who saw God and were utterly amazed. Beholding God's glory visually and actually seeing God is a specific theme in the Bible and will be something that believers will see in the end times, but I do not see our "activities" in eternity as limited to some slack-jawed staring at God. Though I must admit I would love to behold God in His full glory - it would be indescribable beyond words.

That being as it may, this I do not believe is to be seen as any reason to see any 'control' of the creature to whom the glory is exposed. The Angels I mentioned who proclaimed "Holy, Holy, Holy" do so of their own free will and - if you wish to ascribe a personality "characterization" to Satan - Satan today would probably "grudgingly" admit that God is Holy (what else could He say? cf. James 2:19). I did not mean to extend this into speculation on how Satan departed from worshiping God, but I meant to make a statement about God's glory which is undeniable.

~Josh

Again, . . . all speculative. The human condition is what it is. It is who you are. . . . who I am. If that is taken away [to acheive this supposed "sinless existence"], you will not be who you are here on earth. So, then what WAS the purpose of this earth? Just to see how many of us would believe something void of evidence, and only having each person's own ability to "sense it"?

I'm unconvinced.

Of course it's speculative. The Bible doesn't explicitly state what we will be doing for eternity, so any answer given will be speculative.

prough91 said:
I'm planning on taking a swing through the galaxy.

That actually does sound pretty awesome. Maybe Jesus would wish us "God-speed" on our journey. LOL (okay, bad joke). :biggrin

P.S. On a somewhat (un)related note, for those of the Mormon persuasion don't they believe that you become like demi-gods and get to rule your own planets, etc. in the afterlife?

TheCatholic said:
ProphetMark said:
Aren't we going to get rather bored after about 15,000 years?

Time does not neccessarilly pass in the spiritual realm as it does in the created realm
I didn't even read the OP. lol I would agree and also add that to think we might get bored after X amount of time is to make some assumptions, including, but not limited to, that everything will remain static and that we will be able to obtain exhaustive knowledge about everything.

TheCatholic said:
ProphetMark said:
Aren't we going to get rather bored after about 15,000 years?

Time does not neccessarilly pass in the spiritual realm as it does in the created realm
The Bible teaches that the ultimate destiny of the believer is not a disembodied existence in a "spiritual" realm, but rather embodied existence - legs, arms, hands, stomachs - right here on a transformed and redeemed earth.

So I do not worry about being bored - there is "pleny to do, build, and learn". Its easy to imagine being bored if you buy into an images of harps, clouds, and choruses of angels. But that is not the Biblical picture.

Drew said:
The Bible teaches that the ultimate destiny of the believer is not a disembodied existence in a "spiritual" realm, but rather embodied existence - legs, arms, hands, stomachs.......

Uh huh. And there was a snake and a teee in a garden too? And there will be a woman riding a beast too?

Well, I won't argue with a literalist. Its usually an excersize in futility

Well actually I do agree with Drew to the extent that, as I have already said in an above post, there will be a New Heaven and a New Earth and we will spend eternity on Earth not in Heaven. This is why the New Jerusalem will descend upon the Earth, so Christ may rule from there on Earth.

TheCatholic said:
Drew said:
The Bible teaches that the ultimate destiny of the believer is not a disembodied existence in a "spiritual" realm, but rather embodied existence - legs, arms, hands, stomachs.......

Uh huh. And there was a snake and a teee in a garden too? And there will be a woman riding a beast too?

And Jesus, after his resurrection?

Free said:
TheCatholic said:
Drew said:

Agree. We are told rather clearly in 1 Corinthians 15 that we will get bodies like Jesus - and the resurrected Jesus had all the things I referred to, including a stomach (He ate fish, remember?).

Drew said:
Agree. We are told rather clearly in 1 Corinthians 15 that we will get bodies like Jesus - and the resurrected Jesus had all the things I referred to, including a stomach (He ate fish, remember?).
Exactly. I would also add:

Luk 24:39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." (ESV)

Joh 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe."

Free said:
TheCatholic said:
Drew said:

Your point?

TheCatholic said:
Free said:
TheCatholic said:

Your point?
You seemed to be suggesting that we wouldn't have bodies. So, my point is that we will, as Scripture clearly shows.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back