Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What are you giving up?

TOG

Lent started last Wednesday. While it is observed mostly by Catholics, many Christians from other denominations also give something up for Lent. The Twitter Lent Tracker at openbible.info has been tracking what people give up for Lent based on how many tweets each thing receives, since 2009. The top 15 items on this year's list are...

1. Chocolate
  2. Twitter
  3. School
  4. Alcohol
  5. Social networking
  6. Swearing
  7. Soda
  8. Sweets
  9. Fast food
  10. Junk food
  11. Chips
  12. Meat
  13. Homework
  14. Coffee
  15. Lent
It would be interesting to know how you can give up Lent for Lent. The top sacrifices for Lent in previous years has been...

2013 - Being Pope
2012 - Twitter
2011 - Twitter
2010 - Twitter
2009 - Facebook

Last year Twitter was in 11th place and in 2009 it was in 2nd place. It's interesting that Twitter always scores relatively high on the list, considering that the list is based on tweets. You can see the entire list for this year and links to previous years here.

The TOG​

What is Lent?

EDIT: Forget it, I'm off topic.
Sorry. But I don't give up anything for Lent and don't know why anyone would.

What is Lent?

EDIT: Forget it, I'm off topic.
Sorry. But I don't give up anything for Lent and don't know why anyone would.

Probably because giving something up is the whole idea of Lent. Strictly speaking, you're supposed to give up eating meat. It's supposed to be a sign of repentance and to prepare yourself for Easter. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday and ends, if I remember correctly, either on Good Friday or the Saturday before Easter. If you don't count Sundays, that adds up to 40 days and is supposed to commemorate the 40 days Jesus fasted in the Wilderness after his baptism.

The TOG​

I do not participate in Lent.I do not believe in it.I repent of my sin to Jesus Christ everyday of the year.

Forget lent: why don't we give up the wordly things that hinder our relationships with God, for God, by God all year round. Easier said than done. But. That seems more scriptural to me. Just read colossians 3. :idea

Last edited:
I don't give anything up for a temporary ceremony but I do for God. My vehicles are an old 1990 Rusty but trusty Ford Taurus and and 1990 rusty but trusty Ford F-250. My wife and I live in a foreclosed HUD home which needs a lot of work. My and her wardrobes still have 1970 era clothes we seldom add to it. I still use a Gillette Trac II razor that I used in the mid 70s and only change blades after a week or so. My wife dyes her own hair and only goes to Wal Mart for her basic hair trim and I cut my own hair in front of the mirror with another mirror in my other hand for the back of my head and on and on. We do have all that we need and are so wonderfully blessed by God that it is unfathomable. We do have the income to live a lot more convenient, comfortably, and fashionably but then there would be no money for tithing, some offerings, and helping those less fortunate. May the Lord help us to never forget those who have so much less.

On an everyday basic I give up the wordly things that I do not think God wants me to participate in which is television,movies secular music,inappropriate literature such as books,magazines.I do not think these things are advantageous in my walk with Christ.

At some point I do need to give up the internet for a short amount of time. I've been meaning to, but haven't done it yet. Lent...well, never observed it. But it seems to have a good idea behind it. Seems to be the same as or similar to fasting. (Fasting doesn't have to be just food. I think the general idea is to give up something that is important to you.)

At some point I do need to give up the internet for a short amount of time. I've been meaning to, but haven't done it yet. Lent...well, never observed it. But it seems to have a good idea behind it. Seems to be the same as or similar to fasting. (Fasting doesn't have to be just food. I think the general idea is to give up something that is important to you.)

I would like to encourage you as I just went 40 days without the computer and my tablet. it is actually very easy and very beneficial. so awesome how much you can get done when you're not on the Internet. don't think it's silly to see the tv (which I never watch) and technology as mind control.

Back