Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What are your thoughts on Christian/Secular Folk music?

omofca

I like secular folk music and haven't been able to find much Christian Folk. What do you guys think about Folk music? Is it something a Christian should listen to or not? I feel kind of on the fence because the ones I listen to seem kind of sacrilegious, maybe even pagan. For example, The Tallest Man on Earth sings;

"Let's open up the windows have Satan departin' now
And we'll be even when the blues fall down like hail
Hell I don't even care no more about cadejo now
If he's a white one or a black one on the trail"

And;

"Well I see Jesus and Judas
Making love now of course
And all the roman emperors hanging up their horse"

Then we have Bon Iver, I have no idea what he sings about most of the time, so he might possibly be speaking witch language.

"Sold, I'm Ever
Open ears and open eyes
Wake up to your starboard bride
Who goes in and then stays inside
Oh the demons come, they can subside"

Also, what are the origins of Folk music? What was/is the purpose of Folk music? It seems like it is kind of New Age, but maybe I'm wrong. I know music is powerful and a lot of today's music is Satanic.

I like secular folk music and haven't been able to find much Christian Folk.
I wonder if there really is such a thing.

What do you guys think about Folk music?
I like the folk rock of the late sixties/ early seventies. Not sure I like Folk music in it's purest form.

Is it something a Christian should listen to or not?
Like any other kind of music...as long as it has not been made for the sole purpose of being obscene or blasphemous. Some songs just simply don't have any good intent in them, being rotten right down to the very reason they was written.

I feel kind of on the fence because the ones I listen to seem kind of sacrilegious, maybe even pagan. For example, The Tallest Man on Earth sings;

"Let's open up the windows have Satan departin' now
And we'll be even when the blues fall down like hail
Hell I don't even care no more about cadejo now
If he's a white one or a black one on the trail"

And;

"Well I see Jesus and Judas
Making love now of course
And all the roman emperors hanging up their horse"

Then we have Bon Iver, I have no idea what he sings about most of the time, so he might possibly be speaking witch language.

"Sold, I'm Ever
Open ears and open eyes
Wake up to your starboard bride
Who goes in and then stays inside
Oh the demons come, they can subside"
Pure garbage if you ask me. I don't care how 'good' the music is, I would not indulge this kind of stuff.

Also, what are the origins of Folk music? What was/is the purpose of Folk music?
I believe it has Celtic origins. It is for story telling.

It seems like it is kind of New Age, but maybe I'm wrong. I know music is powerful and a lot of today's music is Satanic.
Only if it's been purposely set apart to serve that purpose.

If you're looking for recommendations for some good folk stuff, try Mumford and Sons' new album called 'Babel'. I'm also fond of the Avett Brothers.

I love a lot of folk that has no lyrics, just instrumental. SOMETIMES I listen to Cajun, which l cant understand. Classical folk is beautiful
And often hymns used it and put godly lyrics to it. We are judged by our words and should judge music by the lyrics. When in doubt,
Would Jesus be comfortable listening to it? HE is, you know.

Back