Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What Do These Verses Mean ?

G

greyfeather

In MICAH 4:1-5 it speaks about Vision of peace and glory. The verses that have always puzzeled me are MICAH 4:4-5 What do these 2 verses mean to you.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

I've got a Bible with some study helps at the bottom of the page, and according to it, the part about the vine and fig tree in Micah 4:4 is "a reference to the peace and security of the kingdom of God."

It give a reference to 1 Kings 4:25 "And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, every man under his vine and under his fig tree, from Dan even to Bersheba, all the days of Solomon."

It also references 2 Kings 18:31 "Harken not to Hezekiah: for thus saith the king of Assyria, Make an agreement with me by a present, and come out to me, and then eat ye every man of his fig tree, and drink ye every one the waters of his cistern."

A third reference is given to Zechariah 3:10 "In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree."

The peace and security reference makes sense to me since the next part of verse four states that "none shall make them afraid." However, I think that verse five is saying that a person will only receive these blessings if they "walk in the name of the Lord our God for ever and ever." The first part of verse five, I think, indicates a person's right to choose, and the fact that many individuals will choose other gods to "walk" with. The NIV says "they may walk in the name of their gods," but the KJV says "they will walk every one in the name of his god."

All in all, I think these verses are outlining a possible reward for those that walk with God, but they also state that there will be some that will choose to not walk with God, and that they will not recieve these blessings. I could be wrong, but that's what I gather from them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe this helped.

cly,

Thank you for anserwing , I thought about these verses for so long . The way you explain it helps to see it in a different light . I wasn't quite sure because of the wording in the versus themselves , but thanks for the other reffernces. I have a hard time with understanding some things in the OT , but I figure it never hurts to ask, thanks again.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

When all else is said and done, those study Bibles with their references are only meant to help you understand, not to cause you to understand all by themselves. And we must also remember that these "study Bibles" are only produced by a man. They are only a reflection of a man's understanding of those verses.

That said, some are better than others. I personally use the Companion Bible with E.W Bullinger's commentary and study notes. Very helpful, but again, he was just a man.

The 4th chapter of Micah is an apocalyptic passage that speaks to conditions prevalent during the period of time we call the Millennium. There has been a massive conflagration (Armageddon), and peace now reigns. Peace reigns to the extent that man no longer learns the art of warfare. And warfare is an art, it is also a science. The gospel is going into the deepest crevices of the globe. Economic prosperity, the likes of which the world has never known is enjoyed by all.

But not all is completely perfect. Outside the City are the dogs, the whoremongers, and those who dealt in the magic arts. And as Micah tells us, there will be some who walk in the way of their own gods. And they do so unmolested. None causes harm, or raises alarm. There will be no hurt in all the Holy Mountain of God. Nothing disturbs the peace and prosperity of this age. And nothing hinders the spread of the Gospel during this time.

Micah is just telling you that that period of time will be a time of great blessing, beyond what the world has ever experienced. But he is also alluding to the fact that this isn't the end of the story just yet. The story ain't over. There is more to come.

Just some of my comments from a Jewish roots perspective on Malachi 4.

Mal 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

1. The "Sun of Righteousness" is the Messiah.
2. "Healing in his wings" is a reference that he will heal the infirmed. In ancient Judaism, the Tallit (prayer shawl), is worn as a traditional garment. The edges of the Tallit have fringes (Tzitzit) sewn on that are reminders of the 613 Laws of Moses. The edges of the Tallit are considered "wings". So it is considered that there is "healing" under the cover of the "wings", or Mosaic Law. Now for the cool part.......Jesus healed the woman with the issue of blood when she "Touched the hem of his Garment", or in other words she touched the Tzitzit of his Tallit.

Mar 5:27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
Mar 5:28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
Mar 5:29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in [her] body that she was healed of that plague.
Mar 5:30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

The woman knew the OT prophecy, knew that the Messiah would have healing in his wings. She knew that healing was in the Law under Messiah. Don't forget, Jesus wore aa Tallit as a Torah observant Jew.

3. "calves bought up in the stall' is a Jewish idiom regarding the Messianic Kingdom, known as the Messianic Millennium.

Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do [this], saith the LORD of hosts.

During the Messianic Millennium, Messiah will reign from Jerusalem, but there will be lawless people outside of Millennial Israel. These will meet their ultimate defeat after the Millennial period is complete.

Mal 4:4 Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, [with] the statutes and judgments.
Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

Of course this is prophecy to be fulfilled as Elijah will be one of the 2 witnesses found in Revelation who will announce the return of the Messiah.

Back