Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study what does bible say about pride and what is considered pride ? Psalm 12:3

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

thesaintman

The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:

what is pride.... and what is considered pride ?

To put it in simple terms, Pride is being "self centered" rather than "Christ centered". I remember in our Matthew Study, it talked about the Pharisees strutting around the streets in very public squares acting like they were so very humble. They loved to have people notice them and think how holy he was....Pride needs people to notice what he has accomplished.

OK. I used to have a pathological pride problem...as a teenager, and into my early 20s, I was labeled with "Narcissistic Personality Disorder." So, here goes...

...Pride is consistently choosing self over Christ. Pride is thinking that you matter more than others, especially (from a Christian perspective) more than your Savior. Pride is expecting special treatment for no real reason, except...well...its you, right? Right.

Self-centered is a good way of putting it, actually. I may have to give Chopper's post a "like." In the extreme form, what the pros call "Narcissism" (I avoid the term now, because its just a construct, and every "Narcissist" has a story...also, its rooted in both pagan mythology and old school psychoanalysis, both of which are decidedly anti-Christ in outlook), pride takes the form of making yourself the center of your world, and trying to impose that on those around you.

There is a Good Pride and a Bad pride
Good Pride is taking pride in your work or calling or doing the very best and then some. Just a couple simple examples.

Bad pride...Full of your self....no one is better then you....no one can tell you anything because you know best.
To live as the worldly do and believe they can meet thier own needs with out God....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back