Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What Does This Verse Mean?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
I thought that the love the Lord had for us was unconditional, but according to this verse that I recently found, it sounds like you only remain in His love when you keep His commands.

John 15:10 "If you keep my commands you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in His love."

So hold on a second here! Is Jesus really saying that in order for God to love us we have to remain sinless? Because everybody knows that He is the only sinless person. I'm really rather confused right now. :confused

No it is not saying that. We are loved first and not in response to obedience. But as those who profess to love Jesus, we ought to walk in His ways. 1 John 2:6 1 John 3:6 (this second verse isn't to suggest we live a sinless life but that we don't live a life of habitual, continual sin). That's evidence of our love. He is the vine and supplies necessary life to us, the branches. If we leave the vine, that life supply is cut off (of our own doing). The vine is still there with its life giving flow but we must stay connected (abide) to receive the nourishment the vine offers.

1 John 2:5–6
John 10:27–30 His sheep hear His voice. When a shepherd speaks, the sheep respond. This is a picture of following Christ. Not only do we hear His words, we do them. To no do them is to not abide in Him.

If God loving us only happens if we first love and obey Him, we'd all be lost. No. God loves first. 1 John 4:19

No it is not saying that. We are loved first and not in response to obedience. But as those who profess to love Jesus, we ought to walk in His ways. 1 John 2:6 1 John 3:6 (this second verse isn't to suggest we live a sinless life but that we don't live a life of habitual, continual sin). That's evidence of our love. He is the vine and supplies necessary life to us, the branches. If we leave the vine, that life supply is cut off (of our own doing). The vine is still there with its life giving flow but we must stay connected (abide) to receive the nourishment the vine offers.

1 John 2:5–6
John 10:27–30 His sheep hear His voice. When a shepherd speaks, the sheep respond. This is a picture of following Christ. Not only do we hear His words, we do them. To no do them is to not abide in Him.

If God loving us only happens if we first love and obey Him, we'd all be lost. No. God loves first. 1 John 4:19

Alright thanks, that actually makes a lot more sense now, and coincidentally, that last verse that you quoted I believe is the verse that I quoted today in Daily Verses, or if it isn't that exact verse it's very similar to it. :cross

Yes, what Papa Zoom said. I will just add that God will never leave us or forsake us even though by knowingly sinning we can break that fellowship with Him, but He waits patiently for us to return back to Him.

You know while I was out enjoying my bike ride your comment made me think of this poem that's actually one of my favorites. :) How true it is too. :yes

footprints.jpg

Scott Wesley Brown - He Will Carry You

There is no problem too big
God cannot solve it
There is no mountain too tall
God cannot move it

There is no storm too dark
God cannot calm it
There is no sorrow too deep
He cannot soothe it

Oh, if He carried the weight of the world upon His shoulders
I know my brother that He will carry you
I know my sister that He will carry you

He said, "Come on to me all who are weary
And I will give you rest, rest, rest, rest"

Rest, rest, rest

There is no problem too big
God cannot solve it
There is no mountain too tall
He cannot move it

There is no storm too dark
God cannot calm it
There is no sorrow too deep
He cannot soothe it

Oh, I know my brother that He will carry you
Oh, I know my sister that He will carry you
I know my brother and I know my sister that Jesus will carry you

I thought that the love the Lord had for us was unconditional, but according to this verse that I recently found, it sounds like you only remain in His love when you keep His commands.

John 15:10 "If you keep my commands you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in His love."

So hold on a second here! Is Jesus really saying that in order for God to love us we have to remain sinless? Because everybody knows that He is the only sinless person. I'm really rather confused right now. :confused
No one can become completely sinless.
Everyone can strive for complete sinlessness as a goal. (Which you will reach after the resurrection)

But Jesus didn't say "Be completely sinless." He said; "If you love me, keep my commands."
What were His commands?
Love God. (Mat 22:37; Mar 12:30; Luk 10:27)
Love one another. (Jhn 13:34; Jhn 15:12. 17)
Love your neighbor. (Mat 19:19)
Love even your enemy. (Mat 5:43-44)
Can we strive to get really good at keeping those commands?
Sure we can.

Back