Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

what is a missionary to you?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

paisley

I ask this because I wonder if my expectations are different than others or too high. As a child, I used to hear missionary stories and I would listen in awe. Then I began reading books about missionaries and was so inspired by their total devotion to God rather than self and somewhere in that time I decided I wanted to be a missionary too. My idea of a missionary was someone who forsook the world to serve God alone. Thus, I got a BA as required by the mission board and I worked to pay off my college loan. My goal was to be debt free so I could travel the world sharing Christ with those who did not know Him. I felt the call of a missionary is not about accumolating worldly gain so I felt all I would need was a simple place to stay and my basic needs met (simple food, plain soap, just 2-3 dresses, etc). Well, I ended up getting married so that never happended, but I did end up moving overseas. I live in Asia now and I come in contact with many missionaries and I know a number of missionries in other parts of Asia, not just my country and I feel I have been disillusioned about missionaries so I was wondering what your ideas of a missionary are?[/list]

This is funny, but I just asked the exact same question to a youth group only an hour ago.

I explained to them that a missionary is a normal person willing to preach the gospel. Whether it is in their own town, in another state or in another country. Missionaries are those people willing to put their trust in God that He will provide them the words to bring others to Himself. Being a missionary has nothing to do with education, or forsaking the world any more than every other Christian should. It is about loving people and not things. Possessions are good, but must take a back seat to people and their needs. The whole thing of requiring a college degree really bugs me, I have never read anywhere in the bible that makes this a legitimate biblical requirement at all. Peter was a fisherman...not the most educated, but he was to preach the gospel, and I might mention he did an incredible job.

They are not perfect, just willing to allow Christ to work through them.

I agree that since we all are given the same commission by God to share the Good News, in essence we are all missionaries. However, when we are talking about someone that feels the call to be a "full time missionary" and accepts the monetary support of Christians to do this job, don't you think the bar should be raised a little bit to the extent that they are no longer your average Joe in the church, but someone living a more God focused life? I think so. I think God expects the spiritual leaders to live by a higher standard, but that standard is based on one's relationship with Christ rather than education. I certainly agree with you there.

Your right about raising the bar, but you must still realize that they are still human. I think of full time missionaries just like I do ministers or pastors, elders, they are all held to a higher standard because they are teaching the word of God. But I also know first hand that elders and pastors mess up at times, as almost everyone here probably has seen before too.

Here's my take on a missionary.

A Missionary is person who advances the Word of God more by their actions than by their words. When you here those missionary stories, the majority of these stories have to deal with those who step out and act. They know the words to say, but their actions are what touch the heart of those they work with.

That is why there is such a thing as a home missionary. Not all missionaries can go over seas, but that doesn't mean they can't be on a mission at home. The way a person lives can have an amazing impact on a person. In truth, we are allmissionaries to a degree, but just as pastors, some excel at this better than others. Thos are the ones we call missionaries. 8-)

I thank the Lord for missionaries because many people around the world have come to know Christ through the work of missionaries. Moreover, in my country I would venture to say most churches were started by missionaries. The church I presently attend is also run by missionaries, and this is a great church. However, it seems to me we are getting a new breed of missionaries. The older ones that I see are on fire for God, but the younger ones also love God but also the world so their houses and possessions are superior to the average person's. I know of one missionary complaining because she was not paid, in addition to her regular salary that let her live in the rich side of town and have a maid and a nanny while the people around her barely had food) every time she made a speech. To me this was a monetary career for her. She does love God, don't get me wrong, but it just does not fit into my image of a missionary. I am hearing and seeing here in Asia more and more of these types of stories whereas when I was a child I heard of stories of missionaries giving up everything to live among the native people. Perhaps I have an old fashioned view of missionaries?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back