Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What Is the Body of Christ?

TonyChanYT

What is the Body of Christ mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12?

This Body of Christ is a spiritual reality. We are born of the Paraclete. Jesus sent us the Paraclete to dwell in us. Every believer who has the Paraclete is a member of this Body of Christ. This is not a fleshly reality but a spiritual one. It is not the visible physical church. The Body of Christ is the true church existing in the spiritual realm but manifesting in the physical realm.

There is oneness and unity in this Body, 1 Corinthians 12:
12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. ...
27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.

Christ is the head of this church, Colossians 1:
18a he is the head of the body, the church

This invisible church is the Body of Christ. Ephesians 1:
22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Metaphorically, we play different parts in the body of Christ. Some are eyes; some are ears, nose, hands, feet, etc. (1 Corinthians 12:12-20).

Horizontally speaking, there is the Catholic Church. There is also the Reformed Church. Etc. Not every member of such visible churches belongs to the Body of Christ. Vertically speaking, everyone who has been born of the Spirit is connected to the organic Body of Christ as a spiritual reality in the one body.

Welcome Aboard
1 Corinthians 12:
The diverse group we are, but with different gifts.

1 Corinthians 15:45 kjv
45. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Revelation 3:20 kjv
20. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

The Word became flesh. Jesus. Christ in us is our hope of Glory.

The Holy Spirit was Given that we might have power to Witness. A guide.

Then I see through a glass darkly, but not blind.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

No member of Christ is in a visible church, we know it because they do not care to obey God to cast out of their church the wrong doers, and that is why not everyone in those churches could be born of the Spirit, and also how none of them could be, as none obey the Spirit, to all be one together, to have the same care for every member. ( casting away from themselves the wicked persons.)

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 5: 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

Also my new thread about seeing darkly, explains how anyone who thinks that way is painfully unaware of what they are saying.

No member of Christ is in a visible church, we know it because they do not care to obey God to cast out of their church the wrong doers, and that is why not everyone in those churches could be born of the Spirit, and also how none of them could be, as none obey the Spirit, to all be one together, to have the same care for every member. ( casting away from themselves the wicked persons.)

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 5: 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
The reason for casting out a person comes after:
Private counsel to restore the person.
More than one person talks to the person.
Turning over to Satan is ti bring repentance, that the person might be restored to fellowship.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Are you a member of a visible church? Do you attend a church every Sunday?
The visible Jews were not always the true Jews of the heart.

What about Saturday worshipers?
What about those who consider all days the same?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The reason for casting out a person comes after:
Private counsel to restore the person.
More than one person talks to the person.
Turning over to Satan is ti bring repentance, that the person might be restored to fellowship.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
The same way that God gave laws to Israel, to keep wickedness out of Israel, is the similar purpose to keep evil from the church.

Look at Deuteronomy 13, when men would entice anyone to idol worship, their family members or close friend, the command was to kill them as they sought to thrust the people of Israel away from the Lord, and all Israel would see and fear, and do no more such wickedness as that among them.

Deuteronomy 21 shows the son of the men of Israel, who will not obey the voice of their father even though they chastised him, then they are commanded to bring him to the elders and show what the son has done, that he is stubborn and rebellious and would not obey their voice, that he is a glutton and a drunk, and then they stone him until he dies, to put evil away from among them, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

Acts 5, has example of Jewish believers having satan filling their heart, to lie to the Holy Ghost, agreeing together to tempt the Lord. They die immediately from hearing these words, and great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Deuteronomy 13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

Deuteronomy 21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Acts 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Israel had fear at one time when hearing the judgement of God, the believers had fear in the church one time in hearing the judgement of God.

If Israel had continued to fear Gods judgement, they would have continued to cast out evil from among them, but they instead all became the idol worshippers.

If the believers hearing the example of those who lied to the Holy Ghost, continued to fear when they heard these things, they would have continued to put away wicked persons from among them, but instead they left the covetous idol worshippers in the church.

Paul gave the reasons for that too, as those grievous wolves entered the flock, not sparing them, and among themselves men arose speaking perverse things to draw away disciples after them. ( to perverse doctrines.)

If Israel had obeyed instead of disobey, that would keep the evil of idolatry away, if the church had obeyed to put away the evil persons of coveting idolatry, they would have kept the wolves away, but the wolves entered because they did not put them away.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

That is why 1 Corinthians 5, shows to not be with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world, and also to NOT keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. ( the same as some men of Israel were gluttons and drunkards.)

Light has no communion with darkness, the church had a limited time to out away wicked persons from them, which they did not do, they stopped fearing, they allowed the covetous, the drunkards, the wolves entered that corrupted flock, or could not have, the same as Israel would have put wickedness away, if it obeyed the voice of the Lord to thrust all evil doers away from them. ( but the same false prophet teachers entered among Israel also.)

Deuteronomy 13:1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
4 Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

The same way that God gave laws to Israel, to keep wickedness out of Israel, is the similar purpose to keep evil from the church.

Look at Deuteronomy 13, when men would entice anyone to idol worship, their family members or close friend, the command was to kill them as they sought to thrust the people of Israel away from the Lord, and all Israel would see and fear, and do no more such wickedness as that among them.

Deuteronomy 21 shows the son of the men of Israel, who will not obey the voice of their father even though they chastised him, then they are commanded to bring him to the elders and show what the son has done, that he is stubborn and rebellious and would not obey their voice, that he is a glutton and a drunk, and then they stone him until he dies, to put evil away from among them, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

Acts 5, has example of Jewish believers having satan filling their heart, to lie to the Holy Ghost, agreeing together to tempt the Lord. They die immediately from hearing these words, and great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Deuteronomy 13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

Deuteronomy 21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Acts 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Israel had fear at one time when hearing the judgement of God, the believers had fear in the church one time in hearing the judgement of God.

If Israel had continued to fear Gods judgement, they would have continued to cast out evil from among them, but they instead all became the idol worshippers.

If the believers hearing the example of those who lied to the Holy Ghost, continued to fear when they heard these things, they would have continued to put away wicked persons from among them, but instead they left the covetous idol worshippers in the church.

Paul gave the reasons for that too, as those grievous wolves entered the flock, not sparing them, and among themselves men arose speaking perverse things to draw away disciples after them. ( to perverse doctrines.)

If Israel had obeyed instead of disobey, that would keep the evil of idolatry away, if the church had obeyed to put away the evil persons of coveting idolatry, they would have kept the wolves away, but the wolves entered because they did not put them away.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
There is a difference in OT and NT
Discipline.
The OT is a type and Shadow of things to come. God was long suffering to a point. The point was the end of the OT writings. The 400 years of silence contained the wrath of God by using gentiles.

The NT will be like Noah for those who walk in darkness. Sudden destruction will come. Those unbelievvers in the grAve will be judged.

In edit mode
The just and un/just will receive their judgement.

eddif

There is a difference in OT and NT
Discipline.
The OT is a type and Shadow of things to come. God was long suffering to a point. The point was the end of the OT writings. The 400 years of silence contained the wrath of God by using gentiles.

The NT will be like Noah for those who walk in darkness. Sudden destruction will come. Those unbelievvers in the grAve will be judged.

In edit mode
The just and un/just will receive their judgement.

eddif
The judgement of God is the same as in the old and the new, idolatry didnt become acceptable, those who do not hear God, are not heard by Him.

Hebrews 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Hey All,
We agree that the church is the body of Christ and not the building on the street corner. The body of Christ is a metaphor for any group of believers who gather together. (See Acts 2:42 below.) However I do not understand what is meant by "invisible church." The church, the gathering of believers, is in a visible form. It could take place in a house, a restaurant, a park, or even here online. Think about it. This site is a body of believers doing most of Acts 2:42 teaches.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

With the exception of Communion we do the rest here. (Has anyone figured out a way to hold Communion on line? ) We all have aliases because bad things can happen if our real names were available. But we are real people. We are not invisible. Keep walking everybody.
May God,
Taz

Hey All,
We agree that the church is the body of Christ and not the building on the street corner. The body of Christ is a metaphor for any group of believers who gather together.
It is more than just a metaphor. It is a spiritual reality.

(See Acts 2:42 below.) However I do not understand what is meant by "invisible church."
Good point. I meant the physically invisible but spiritually real Body of Christ.

What is the Body of Christ mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12?

This Body of Christ is a spiritual reality. We are born of the Paraclete. Jesus sent us the Paraclete to dwell in us. Every believer who has the Paraclete is a member of this Body of Christ. This is not a fleshly reality but a spiritual one. It is not the visible physical church. The Body of Christ is the true church existing in the spiritual realm but manifesting in the physical realm.
It is both visible and invisible.
There is oneness and unity in this Body, 1 Corinthians 12:
Not totally, not really.
We are united to Christ and to each other spiritually, but we are not yet united to Christ physically. Or to each other.
Christ is the head of this church, Colossians 1:
This invisible church is the Body of Christ. Ephesians 1:
Metaphorically, we play different parts in the body of Christ. Some are eyes; some are ears, nose, hands, feet, etc. (1 Corinthians 12:12-20).
Functionally we 'play' different 'parts' in the body of Christ.
Each of us have a calling in the body of Christ.
Each of us have a place in the body of Christ.
Each of us also have different spiritual gifts that enable us to perform our function and service to Christ.
Then there are the 'pounds' of which everyone has one particular natural gift or ability.
Then we each have different personalities and temperaments, and experience, and knowledge, and 'measure' of faith in which to accomplish our function in the body of Christ.
Horizontally speaking, there is the Catholic Church. There is also the Reformed Church. Etc. Not every member of such visible churches belongs to the Body of Christ. Vertically speaking, everyone who has been born of the Spirit is connected to the organic Body of Christ as a spiritual reality in the one body.
Correct-o-mundo.

Back