Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the individual's role in challenging the status quo directly with an authority figure?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

A bit of context​

As a young adult who enjoys discourse and challenging the opinions of others, I frequently run into the problem of people hating me or my peers for challenging their opinions (primarily what they consider the proper course of things. Ie: the usage of their authority).

I'm not asking if it is acceptable to challenge their authority, merely the way they use it.

To reiterate my question in a more specific manner,​

According to the bible, how much authority does the individual have in going to an authority figure to suggest a different method of the usage of their power, to call out a flaw in their teaching, or to call out an action as wrong, and how should one go about doing so?

Examples​

1: Calling out an authority figure when they make a claim or command and expect you to agree (again, I'm not asking whether or not these things are in their power) merely because they have authority.

2: If something they taught is in direct opposition to the scripture.

3: If something seems to be in opposition to the scripture and asking for clarification, and/or using the Socratic method to come to a conclusion.

4: Requesting a better boundary to be employed that may not be contrary to scripture but have a better alternative. This can be rules set for children (Ie: no video games).

5: Requesting a better method to be employed that may not be contrary to scripture but have a better alternative. This can be how the authority figure uses their tone or words, or how they utilize their authority.

Research​

I'm not sure where to begin to find an answer for my question. I can think of a few verses that may help, but nothing that directly gives an answer.

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. This seems unclear to me, but I can't tell whether letting no one despise your youth is active in the sense that I should call them out or if the setting an example is the answer to how to let no one despise your youth.

Proverbs 9:7 “He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself, And he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself. 8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you. This merely states that if a man hates you for correcting him, he's a scoffer and a wicked man.

Beyond this, I don't have anything besides certain passages like Titus 2 that state what an authority figure's conduct should be like.

clarification of terms​

Authority figure: I'm talking specifically about a religious leader, someone the bible states as having authority over another outside of governmental status. This includes Parents, Elders, Pastors, Mentors, and the like.

A bit of context​

As a young adult who enjoys discourse and challenging the opinions of others, I frequently run into the problem of people hating me or my peers for challenging their opinions (primarily what they consider the proper course of things. Ie: the usage of their authority).

I'm not asking if it is acceptable to challenge their authority, merely the way they use it.

What are God's priorities in your interactions with others? I can tell you that what you've described here doesn't align with what He values in your interactions with people.

Ephesians 4:15
15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,

1 Corinthians 13:1
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

To reiterate my question in a more specific manner,​

According to the bible, how much authority does the individual have in going to an authority figure to suggest a different method of the usage of their power, to call out a flaw in their teaching, or to call out an action as wrong, and how should one go about doing so?

See above.

1 Timothy 5:1
1 Do not sharply rebuke an older man, but rather appeal to him as a father, to the younger men as brothers,

1 Peter 5:5
5 You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

James 3:13-18
13 Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.
14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth.
15 This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic.
16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.
17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.
18 And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Hey All,
No worries FishieFishue. Your loyalty is duely noted. I don't like walking away either. I can still find a way to be useful and serve God. If it is not a serious doctrial issue, or some kind of physical abuse, pray and give what you are feeling to the Lord. Let Him make those changes. Remember Romans 8:28:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Ya gotta let God handle it.

If I had to guess, I would say what you are describing sounds a lot like the argument of women not being allowed to teach in some churches. Whether this is your issue or not, I want to use it as an example of how to work it out. Paul writes:

1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Some denominations are strict about this, others not so much. Wether it applies to the church today is another ongoing debate.

1: This is the opinion I hold, but what if they expect me to blindly agree and if I don't, I'm considered manipulative and sneaky (although I think I'd be more taken aback if they blindly agreed). Quote from FishieFishue

One idea is can they justify their negative viewpoint Scripturally? I gave you the reference for the negative response of why women are not allowed to teach or usurp authority over men in the church. So now you know my reasoning is Scripture based. If that were my viewpoint, at least you know on what I based my belief. You may not like it. But you can see I am not doing it personally. I am doing this out of obedience to God's Word.

"3. And if they refuse to? If they have a "I'm the authority, this is my word" mindset. Quote from FishieFishue

3. Find a way that works. If your calling is being a minister, find another way. My first ministry as an adult at my church, (way way back in the mid 1970s), was nothing grand. My ministry was to make sure the coffee and hot water for tea was available before and after services. Not very glamorous huh? But I did it for the Lord. After a while Pastor Steve came and ask me what I would like to do. I said minister to the youth group. They had a need for help with the junior high group. I started helping with them. That led to teaching. Eventually I was appointed youth minister and started helping the other teachers. To think, all of that came about because I was faithful in the small things (making coffee). God honors faithfulness.

4. This can be anything regarding two peers or a group of peers, particularly, but not solely, that of mixed genders." Quote from FishieFishue

Number 4 is what got me on this topic. There is a way for women to teach. Most of the teachers in Sunday School were women. It didn't violate what Paul wrote, and filled it vital role in the church.
To be fair to Paul, he also wrote this:

Titus 2:3-4 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

There is a place for women to teach in the church. Paul tells us how It to be done. Like I said, a whole nother discussion.

I know you are frustrated. It so came across in your post. Its OK. There nothing wrong with being passionate about something. That is how I knew you weren't coming at this situation egotistically. Passion can change the world. Thomas Edison once said:
Famous Quotes by Thomas Edison. “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” thomasedison.org
Edison's invention changed the world.

Find the way that will work for you. I hope the example helps you with your issue. If it is totally off base, I apologize. It is hard to get specific when I have just general information. (Not prying, and don't give private information to strangers you don't know. You have to be careful there days. ) Perhaps there is something in there that runs parallel to your issue. Take what you can from it, and ignore the rest. Big old bear hug FishieFishue,🤗
Keep walking everybody. May God bless,
Taz

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back