Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What it means to be a true follower of Christ

Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. John 14:12 What was the doing? Healing the sick, feeding the hungry, ministering to the poor and showing love with his actions.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will bec in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21
Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.â€

Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?â€
23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. John 14

This sums up the Christian faith. Being a true follower of Christ is not about how many times a week you go to church, how many verses you memorize, how many hail Mary's you say, it is about how many people you help, how many of the poor you help, how many lives you touch. And not just those who love you(those in your church and those around you), but those who you don't know and don't love you.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.†John 13:34-35

Faith and actions work together.

FAITH saves you but true faith will have works to follow. This is how you can tell who God's children really are. By their actions. Not words only, or whether or not they are decorated with fancy titles, or robes, or have the whole bible memorized.

"Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions." 1 John 3:18

I'll take this a step further and make a point with a question. Why does a follower of Christ do the good works s/he does? What motivates this person to do them?

Galatians 6
"If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, 5 for each one should carry his own load. 6 Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.
7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

If I could also add a thought on the discussion? "To follow Christ" implies that we desire to be with Him, where He is? This is were the term "being led of the Spirit" or being "Spiritual" comes into the obedience of the gospel. Now I know that many have made these terms mean some "very strange things"! But i would say in the beginning of our walk with Christ, that it simple means being aware of His Love and being in fellowship with Him, by way of His Spirit.:)

I'll take this a step further and make a point with a question. Why does a follower of Christ do the good works s/he does? What motivates this person to do them?

Short answer; The Love of God in that man. Personal answer; I have found that the spirit of God effects me to his will. I am well aware of my own will. So the answer to what it is that motivates a Christ follower is the will of God by the spirit of God.

I think it's summed up in the word 'obedience'; the Lord Jesus Himself was 'obedient unto death', Philippians 2.

Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. John 14:12 What was the doing? Healing the sick, feeding the hungry, ministering to the poor and showing love with his actions.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will bec in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21
Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.â€
Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?â€
23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. John 14

This sums up the Christian faith. Being a true follower of Christ is not about how many times a week you go to church, how many verses you memorize, how many hail Mary's you say, it is about how many people you help, how many of the poor you help, how many lives you touch. And not just those who love you(those in your church and those around you), but those who you don't know and don't love you.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.†John 13:34-35

Faith and actions work together.

FAITH saves you but true faith will have works to follow. This is how you can tell who God's children really are. By their actions. Not words only, or whether or not they are decorated with fancy titles, or robes, or have the whole bible memorized.

"Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions." 1 John 3:18

I agree with your statements and I wanted to share this scripture to emphasize a little further...

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
1 Cor 11:1-2 (KJV)

Christ alone is the perfect model. Each believer is a model only in so far as he is a copy in relation to Christ. Paul had in mind especially the greatness of the self-denial of Jesus in taking upon himself "the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men and humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, the death of the cross" Phil. 2:7, 8, that he might save men from their sins. If we are not willing to deny self, and suffer the loss of all earthly things in order to serve and honor God and save men, we have not the spirit of Christ and are none of his.

I agree with your statements and I wanted to share this scripture to emphasize a little further...

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
1 Cor 11:1-2 (KJV)

Christ alone is the perfect model. Each believer is a model only in so far as he is a copy in relation to Christ. Paul had in mind especially the greatness of the self-denial of Jesus in taking upon himself "the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men and humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, the death of the cross" Phil. 2:7, 8, that he might save men from their sins. If we are not willing to deny self, and suffer the loss of all earthly things in order to serve and honor God and save men, we have not the spirit of Christ and are none of his.

I never tire of that Philippians 2 passage.

Such a profound example and standard of selfless obedience.

Romans 12 is a great chapter on being a true follower of Christ.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Rom 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Rom 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
Rom 12:7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
Rom 12:8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Rom 12:9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
Rom 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Rom 12:11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
Rom 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Rom 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Rom 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
Rom 12:15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
Rom 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
Rom 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Rom 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with goo
d.

Back