Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

what Law did Jesus replace?

ozell

what Law did Jesus replace?

CHRIST REPLACED THE SACRIFICIAL LAWS

As stated the Sacrificial Laws were done away with as a result of the crucifixion of Jesus. Jesus replaced the Levitical priesthood and it was these priest who preformed the rites under the Sacrificial Laws.
Jesus became our high priest.

Hebrews (8:1) Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the havens.

The Levitical priest could not continue on behalf of man because they were subject to death and there their intercession stopped.

Hebrews (7:22) By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better
testament.

(23) And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
But Jesus priesthood is everlasting and He continues to make intercession on behalf of man.

Hebrews (7:24) But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.

(25) Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Jesus by the offering of Himself once did that which the Levitical priesthood could not do although they continuously offered up sacrifices.

Hebrews (7:26) For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

(27) Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

Ministers teach that the church operates under grace and is no longer subject to the Mosaic Laws because they were done away with when Jesus nailed them to the cross. The following verses are often cited by ministers to support this concept.

Romans (6:14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Colossians (2:14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The above verses due state that we are no longer under the law and that Jesus nailed them to His cross.

But the question one needs to ask is what are the laws that we are no longer under because Jesus nailed them to His cross?

An individual will find that they have erred if they accept the position that the Mosaic Law was done away with based on these verses.

In studying the scriptures one will find that Paul was not referring to the Mosaic Laws as being the ones we are no longer under but instead was speaking of a different set of laws the Sacrificial Laws.

ozell said:
Romans (6:14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Colossians (2:14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;...

In studying the scriptures one will find that Paul was not referring to the Mosaic Laws as being the ones we are no longer under but instead was speaking of a different set of laws the Sacrificial Laws.
  • 2 Corinthians 3:

3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart....

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? KJV

The first tablets God wrote on were SHATTERED...BROKEN. The stones were replaced by ones MOSES dug and hewed from the pit...a 'ministration of death', and LONGER needed...because they have been replaced by SOMETHING BETTER!

One can pretty much divide the OT Law into 3 categories - 1) Civil, 2) Ceremonial, and 3) Moral. The first 2 are obsolete according to the New Testament, the moral law is still for today. It's not a means of salvation, but it's God's Law and as followers of Christ we should delight in it.

Why didn't God send Jesus back in Noah's time rather then kill everyone. or rather why didnt God sent Jesus in the days of Seth?

Ret said:
ozell said:

Colossians (2:14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;...

• 2 Corinthians 3:

3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart....

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

The first tablets God wrote on were SHATTERED...BROKEN. The stones were replaced by ones MOSES dug and hewed from the pit...a 'ministration of death', and LONGER needed...because they have been replaced by SOMETHING BETTER!

what was it that replaced the ministration of death?

toddm said:
One can pretty much divide the OT Law into 3 categories - 1) Civil, 2) Ceremonial, and 3) Moral. The first 2 are obsolete according to the New Testament, the moral law is still for today. It's not a means of salvation, but it's God's Law and as followers of Christ we should delight in it.

what part of the civil law is obsolete?

what part is the ceremonial law is obsolete?

Jesus said this concerning the moral law

Mt 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18: He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19: Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Is eternal life and salvation the same?

ChevyRodeo said:
Why didn't God send Jesus back in Noah's time rather then kill everyone. or rather why didnt God sent Jesus in the days of Seth?

who says Jesus was not their during those times?

Jesus said

Jn 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world wa

YOU ARE UNDER GRACE

Following will be a summation of what was just reviewed and with this in mind the reader should now have a clearer understanding when he or she looks at the following verse.

It was established that the law that was added because of transgressions were the Sacrificial Laws. Through sin man was separated from God and under the penalty of death, and there was nothing man could do to save himself. Remember Paul stated in Romans (5:12) that by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin. God provided a way of salvation through the blood of a guiltless substitute.

Leviticus (17:11) For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

You will find in an concordance that atonement means to cancel: appease, make an atonement, cleanse, disannul, forgive, be merciful, pacify, pardon, to pitch, purge away put off reconcile.

Hebrews (9:22) And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Although an animal had to bear the death penalty so the sinner could be forgiven, the blood of an animal could not in itself take away sin. But it served as a schoolmaster or teacher because it showed the sinner that God in forgiving sins was not ignoring them but was dealing with them. There is a price to pay for disobedience and that price is death.

Hebrews (10:4) For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

While the Sacrificial Laws were not established with the children of Israel for some time God instituted the requirement of blood for the remission of sins as far back as Genesis.

Remember Adam and Eve had disobeyed God and their eyes were opened. Now when they realized they were naked they simply used fig leaves to cover themselves.

But note in the following verse what God did upon finding out that they had sinned.

ozell said:
An individual will find that they have erred if they accept the position that the Mosaic Law was done away with based on these verses.
Maybe those particular verses do not make the case, but I am quite convinced that the entire corpus of New Testament writings clearly show that it is the entirety of the Mosaic Law that has been done away with.

toddm said:
Well toddm, we finally seem to have a point of disagreement. I knew things were too good to last.... :D

I believe that Scripture teaches that the entirety of Mosaic Law has been done away with, and I am not sure how one can scripturally countenance this categorization you refer to. Obviously, we can think of the law as breaking down into the categories you refer to. But I see no specifically scriptural warrant that "one category has been done away with and another preserved"

ozell said:

Mt 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
But you need to remember when Jesus made this statement - it was before the entirety of Law was nailed to the cross at Calvary. If the case can be made that the Mosaic Law was done away with at the cross - and I think one can indeed make such a case - then this statement by Jesus is not really evidence that the Law remains in force this side of the cross.

ozell said:
YOU ARE UNDER GRACE

Following will be a summation of what was just reviewed and with this in mind the reader should now have a clearer understanding when he or she looks at the following verse.

It was established that the law that was added because of transgressions were the Sacrificial Laws.
Where have you made any case at all that it was specifically the Sacrificial Laws, to the exclusion of other elements of the Mosaic Law, that was added "because of transgressions"?

Drew said:
toddm said:
Well toddm, we finally seem to have a point of disagreement. I knew things were too good to last.... :D

I believe that Scripture teaches that the entirety of Mosaic Law has been done away with, and I am not sure how one can scripturally countenance this categorization you refer to. Obviously, we can think of the law as breaking down into the categories you refer to. But I see no specifically scriptural warrant that "one category has been done away with and another preserved"
Drew, we may not disagree as much as it might seem - that's the wonderful ambiguity of forums. :D

What I mean by ceremonial laws are the traditions, sacrifices, and so forth. These were a picture of what Christ would fulfill and since he's already fulfilled them acting as our high priest once for all then we no longer observe these practices.

The civil laws were more of the cause & effects of the moral law.

Here's why I think the moral law (10 Commandments) are still for today. Jesus basically summarizes these when he gives us the 2 Greatest Commandments. Now I want to underscore again that these are not requirements for salvation, but rather results of salvation. One who follows Christ will have a desire (produced by the new nature created through the Holy Spirit) to love God w/ all his heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love others like himself - John puts a strong emphasis on the 2nd greatest commandment in his 1st letter; such a strong emphasis that this is how we know that we belong to God (1 John 3:10; 4:12).

In Matthew 5-7 (Sermon on the Mount), Jesus goes through the moral law and puts a greater emphasis on the heart - ie, Jesus says whoever hates is guilty of murder. Jesus is looking at the condition of the heart.

As far as the Sabbath, Jesus tells his audience to come to HIM and he will give the REST in Matt. 11. He is the ultimate fulfillment of the Sabbath (like the rest of the Law) that men find their rest in Christ alone, not a specified day of the week. Now I affirm that a day of rest is vital for our own physical/mental health, but we will never find true rest in a day of the week - that only comes through Christ.

So, in summary, the ceremonial/civil law was fulfilled in the work of Christ. The moral law was also fulfilled in the work of Christ in that he was perfectly sinless and obedient to the Father. However, since Jesus summarized the moral law in the 2 Great Commandments, then they should be a RESULT of our obedience to Christ.

ozell said:
Ret said:
  • 2 Corinthians 3:

The first tablets God wrote on were SHATTERED...BROKEN. The stones were replaced by ones MOSES dug and hewed from the pit...a 'ministration of death', ...

what was it that replaced the ministration of death?
Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone...
the body of Jesus Christ replaces the stones that are a'ministration of death...

The sabbath, a shadow...is no longer needed as the real SABBATH - Jesus Christ if our REST!

• Colossians 2:16-17
    16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink,
    or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
    17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. KJV

Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone...
the body of Jesus Christ replaces the stones that are a'ministration of death...

The sabbath, a shadow...is no longer needed as the real SABBATH - Jesus Christ if our REST!

• Colossians 2:16-17
    16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink,
    or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
    17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ[/b

• the stones had the commandments written on them.

you are saying that the Lord replaced thou shall not steal and thou shall not kill, etc

listen to the question again what law did Jesus replace?

How did Jesus replace the sabbath the 7th day of the week?

we still have a 7th day of the week.

why do you quote colossians? whose judging?

Drew said:
ozell said:
YOU ARE UNDER GRACE

It was established that the law that was added because of transgressions were the Sacrificial Laws.
Where have you made any case at all that it was specifically the Sacrificial Laws, to the exclusion of other elements of the Mosaic Law, that was added "because of transgressions"?

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

what law is Paul talking about?
what was added because of breaking the law?
who is the seed that should come?

Drew said:
ozell said:
Maybe those particular verses do not make the case, but I am quite convinced that the entire corpus of New Testament writings clearly show that it is the entirety of the Mosaic Law that has been done away with.

if that was the case why did Paul do this Loooong after Jesus death and resurrection?

Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
Acts 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

why did Paul preach this concerning the commandments?

Rom 13v8: Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9: For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10: Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Drew said:
ozell said:

But you need to remember when Jesus made this statement - it was before the entirety of Law was nailed to the cross at Calvary. If the case can be made that the Mosaic Law was done away with at the cross - and I think one can indeed make such a case - then this statement by Jesus is not really evidence that the Law remains in force this side of the cross.

Lets read this in Revelation the last chapter

Rv 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

is this the mosiac law?

why is it that in order to get into New Jerusalem we must keep the law?

do this sound like the mosiac law (commandments) is done away with?

when Jesus died on the cross what law did he replace?

when man committed sin before Jesus came in the flesh what did they do for forgiveness?

Back