Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What made you decide to be christian?

Were you born into and raised a Christian or did you discover it on your own? If you discovered it on your own what made you pick Christianity over other religions?

curiousatheist said:
Were you born into and raised a Christian or did you discover it on your own? If you discovered it on your own what made you pick Christianity over other religions?

I was not born in a Christian home. I came to Christ ultimately by comparing religions and their track records then i dove into flood geology and started to believe in the great flood and from there on dedicated myself to Jesus.

I was driven to my knees through years of turning away from God and toward drug and alcohol addiction. I remembered a little bit of the God I learned about as a youth, began praying thanks to some friends who helped me into sobriety, then God used people to teach me the gospel — radio ministry was vital during this time.

I was comparing different religions, with the mindset to reject Christianity (church really, not Christ), truly leaning towards Buddhism. However, I read through the Gospel of John one night, in one sitting, prayerfully and the Holy Spirit got ahold of me. Other Christians will know what I'm talking about here. ;)

curiousatheist said:
I was raised in a "Christian" home, but it didnt take until I was about 20.
I believed in a God, but wasnt sure about it all until I really got into looking at things for myself.

I started studying world religions about 17 or so to try to understand why man was reaching out to something beyond. It seems to be something thats ingrained in us as a race. Wanting to know whats out there, unable to accept that this is all there is.

After looking at a lot of other religions, in the summer of 85 I was walking past a church one day that was down the street from my house when 'something' took hold of my legs and literally turned me towards the doors. When I felt like I had control of myself again, I was kneeling up by the pulpit area with probably 75 Christians surrounding me who were praying and praising God.
It was a odd experience to say the least.
Ive been a believer every since.

curiousatheist said:
I was not raised a christian and to my knowledge did not have any christians in my family at all. I wasnt raised with the bible or Jesus etc... When i was young my grandmother and aunt began to teach me some forms of witchcraft and new age stuff which stuck with me. When i was older i became a full witch who believed in the occult in many forms. I would tell christians on the internet how decieved and inprisoned they were by the church and how all the stuff they believed was false. Many of them prayed for me even though i did not know it. I was happy being a witch and had no desire to be anything else and thought that christianity was the stupidest thing ( praise God for forgiveness) anyways i prayed one night for more truth. And that night i got it even though i did not expect what i recieved. That night the Spirit of the Lord came over me and in the morning i believed in Jesus as the Son of God, crucified for us because of sins and risen again, the only way of salvation. I knew and believed fully that the bible was true and the word of God even though i didnt know what it even really said. When i began to read it i understood it for the first time and loved it ever since and from that moment my life began to be conformed to that of Jesus. I didnt know any christians couldnt find a good church and didnt know any for awhile but i just believed the Lord and read the word and had a whole hearts desire to know him more and obey him.

Soon after the Lord gave me a vision of the names of christians who i talked to on the internet who prayed for me without me knowing it. :amen

curiousatheist said:
I didn't choose Jesus; the Lord chose me. :yes

Dude named Louis said:
[quote="Vic C.":1h962u02]
curiousatheist said:
I didn't choose Jesus; the Lord chose me. :yes
Doh! I was gonna say that! :D[/quote:1h962u02]
Yeah, that's the short story. The long story is much like yours above. God lets us wallow in the muck (so it seems) for a while before HE reaches down and pulls us out. To be honest though, I never "not" believed; I was just very Pelagian throughout most my life (raised RC) and didn't believe I could EVER live up to the "standard" expected by the Church at the time (mid 70s). Plus, I thought they were hypocrites anyway.

:lol

I wasn't looking in the 90s and in hindsight, I realize He was doing all the steering . :) He led me to a job of HIS choosing. HE led me to a co-worker that lived 2 miles from me, so I carpooled. HE led me that car-pooling co-worker who "just happened" to be a Christian. :yes HE led me through the deaths of two good friends in 1999. It was then HE had me right where HE wanted me and led me to a Bible believing, Bible preaching SBC church which I still attend today.

I went to Catholic schools and used to laugh about making up sins to confess to the priest. As a young adult, I'd smoke pot and think about flitting through space when I died. Then one day some friends stopped by with a book, Late Great Planet Earth. I read about the prophecies that had been fulfilled, and picked up the Bible to find out for myself. I wasn't looking for faith or religion...just a glimpse into the future. Within two day, I started reading the "red letters", and put down Late Great and fell to my knees. I've been there every since praising His wonderful name. :pray

Back