Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Should Christian Dating Look Like?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Pard

Hey guys!

Well, I am off to college now. A few weeks ago I sat next to this girl in class and we hit it off. A week later I asked for her number and she gave it to me. We began to hang out, silly stuff really like playing Manhunt and getting lunch or dinner. Last week I stepped up our interactions a little, trying to see where she was at with me. Went grocery shopping, a few dinners with friends and a lunch. Her grandfather died last week and she was away for his funeral weekend. We talked a lot while she was gone, about serious stuff, like our families and were we need prayer and help. This week I intended to ask her out on a date, Monday it didn't work out because I just did not feel comfortable asking around her friend. Tuesday I lost her in the crowd of kids trying to get their papers back.

So then today we was my birthday and she joined me and some friends for dinner. We went to church after dinner and again I lost her in the crowd. Well, I was really bummed out because I was hoping to walk back with her. Ended up making a Sheetz run and she wanted to come along so on the way backed I asked her out to dinner and she said yes.

Now, all my nervous doubts aside, it's obvious she likes me and you'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid to not notice that I like her. It's also obvious that she has told all her friends about me because all they do is gush and smile when I am around.

Well, it's just dinner, but I am pretty sure that this could end in a relationship. I do not want to end up in a relationship and then have no clue what to do or where to go with it. All my knowledge of dating comes from what I have seen from worldly friends and worldly entertainment. All I know about Christian relationships is that they should be intentional and should be focused on drawing one another closer to God.

Beyond that, what do I need to know to go about a successful dating relationship?

I don't really need to know about the physical side of things here. School rules limit your physical relationship to literal three second hugs. I am looking for the meat and potatoes here, I honestly want to disciple this girl and love on her in a Godly way because I want her to just grow in Christ.

Talking about your families, plans, goals, likes and dislikes, hobbies. Playing games together. Praying for each other and for your friends. Knowing each other's families and friends. Having devotinals together. That's some examples of good things you can do together in order to be more friends and getting to know better each detail of your lifes. :thumbsup That's what really matters now, leave physical things aside for now.

I'm not sure about Christian relationships specifically, but for relationships in general, it's good practice to have solid communication. Both of you need to be adept at listening when you need to listen and voicing your opinion when you need to speak. You will not be happy if one person doesn't feel heard or one person can't speak up for themself. That's not the end all be all of a good relationship, but it's definitely one of the biggies.

Also, you mention that it would be easy for anyone to tell that you like this person. That may be true for bystanders, but you'd be surprised how clueless the object of your affection can be about your feelings if you don't spell it out. Besides it feels good to hear that you're loved, even if you already know it's true. Moreover, it goes back to that communication thing I was talking about.

Sir, you are young! My best advice is to give it to God and ask for his Guidance. He calls some to be in human to human serious relationship/marriage and others to live a Virgin life! Keep Talking to God and just be patient. You say you like this Girl, but I ask you this Sir, is she the Best God is giving you? could their be someone better God has for you?

Back