Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What the Bible says abouth TATTOOs

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
:evil: [ Tattoo or Graffiti ] on
GODS HOLY TEMPLE,
is a Big Zin.
Read: Leviticus 19:28 do not tattoo your self.
1 Corinthians 3:16-19
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Romans 8:8-11

Matthew24:14 said:
:evil: [ Tattoo or Graffiti ] on
GODS HOLY TEMPLE,
is a Big Zin.
Read: Leviticus 19:28 do not tattoo your self.
1 Corinthians 3:16-19
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Romans 8:8-11

I'm may just be a dumb "fundy" but I don't see a case against tats. Lev. speaks about "for the dead."

sigh. i've seen this somewhere else, and heard it so many times before...

I am a Christian. I also have 2 tattoos. Guess i'm condemned to hell..
My Christian boyfriend has Jesus tatooed on his wrist in Aramaic.. I guess thats a double whamy..

We as christians are not bound by the law... whats so hard to get about that???

The verse right above Leviticus 19:28 is Leviticus 19:27 which says that you are also not to cut your hair at the sides or clip your beard. Sir, I want to see your picture on the photos board to make sure you're adhering to these standards.

What about Lev 19:19? - Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

Is it a sin for me to plant roses and tulips in the same garden? My shirt is 40% polyester and 60% cotton! My dog is a golden retriever poodle mix.. and i plan on breeding him!

Lev 19:32 - 'Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD

Do you stand up everytime Solo enters the forums? just kidding lol!

There are only 2 laws, we as Christians are to follow.. so sayeth Christ.. these are Love the Lord your God..... and Love your neighbor as yourself. These 2 laws encompass of all the moral laws we are obligated to follow.

Matthew 22:35-40 - One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Me having 2 tattoos in no way breaks either of those. My temple is my canvas.. i'm just decorating the walls a little bit. Its just a shell anyway!!!

We as christians are not bound by the law... whats so hard to get about that???

the fact that that somehow seems untrue in light of the verse that says not one letter shall pass away from the law...

(wow... this reply has a very JM feel to it)

the fact that that somehow seems untrue in light of the verse that says not one letter shall pass away from the law...

So then you follow all the laws in the old testament??? Or which ones did you decide were followable? Why did Christ die? By your continuous effort to keep the law, you aren't recieving grace, you're saying that what He did wasn't enough.. you gotta put a little stank on it and make sure you're REALLY saved.

Romans 7:6 - But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

but didnt the Lord himself say

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments."
John 14:15

The Word made flesh is Jesus Christ.
The bible is the Word of God.
My(Jesus) commandments = bible

We're only free from the law when we love God to the point that we dont need the law.

ex. If you love your spouse, do you need a law that says do not kill your spouse? No. You are above it. You are outside of it. You are not governed by it because you have no desire to kill your spouse due to your love of your spouse.

I AM keeping his commandments.. I'm loving my neighbor as myself (atleast trying) and loving my God .. and in doing that i'm following the 10 commandments. I strive to do as Christ did and live a life that pleases and honors God..

Romans 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But again I ask.. which laws do you follow? And how do you decide which ones apply to you and which do not?

It's important to keep in mind, the Law didn't make anything wrong (except the Sabbath) that wasn't already wrong. Following is a mixed post of quotes, mostly mine but some are taken from unsited sources.

From the time of Adam, it was wrong to kill, steal, or lie. Law merely added penalties (and they are strictly limited to Israel) for breaking the Law.

It was to be carried out by the Jewish leaders (quote: 'notice that God protected the murderer Cain, because there was no law yet, and, therefore, no penalty.')

No one today who believes we are under the Law would advocate putting church members to death for picking up sticks on the Sabbath. That's why Paul says in Galatians, "you who desire to be under the Law, do you not hear the Law? (4:21).

The believer is not under the Law in any sense as we read in Rom. 6:14, because Jesus our Lord has already paid the death penalty demanded of those who break it (Rom. 6:6; 7:4) Remember what James wrote, you're dead after breaking the Law once (James 2:10). From that point on (a death sentence) being under a law is meaningless, because you can only die once, so the second murder, etc., are freebies. What happens to a condemned murderer on death row who kills a guard?

Quote: But, the believer (new man) has also been resurrected from the dead (Col. 3:1-3) as a new man with the life of Christ, and the old man is still dead. The position of the new man is one of having already attained perfect righteousness positionally, so all sin is in the past and the penalty has already been paid (Eph. 4:22-24 - you have put off the old man... you have put on the new man...). Now, it is not the Law that is worked out (forbidding unrighteousness), but it is the life of Christ worked out (positive righteousness) from the new nature and the indwelling HS, none of which can be found in the Law.

Quote: Galatianism- the mingling of law and grace; the teaching that justification is partly by grace, partly by law, or, that grace is given to enable an otherwise helpless sinner to keep the law. Against this error, the most wide-spread of all, the solemn warnings, the. unanswerable logic, the emphatic declarations of the Epistle to the Galatians are God's conclusive answer.

"This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal. 3:2- 3).

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another [there could not be another gospel]; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed" (Gal. 1:6-8 ).

Before the Law

1. Innocence, or Untested Holiness (Genesis 1-3):
a. God offers man (Adam and Eve) eternal life for obedience (Gen. 1:26-28, 2:15-17).
b. Man rebels, and is expelled from the Garden of Eden (Gen. 3:1-6; 3:7-19).

2. Conscience (Genesis 4-6):
a. God offers to govern man through his conscience (Gen. 3:5, 7, 22, 4:4).
b. Man sears his conscience, and God brings the universal flood (Gen. 6:5, 6, 11, 12; 6:7, 13, 7:11-24).

3. Government (Genesis 7-11):
a. God offers to govern man through civil government (Gen. 8:15-9:7).
b. Man corrupts civil government, and God brings the confusion of tongues and scatters man (Gen. 11:1-4; Gen. 11:5-9).

4. Promise (Genesis 12 -- Millennial Kingdom):
a. God promises to bless Abraham and his descendants, and all nations through them (Gen. 12:1-7).
b. Jacob's sons apostatize and God brings them into slavery in Egypt (Gen. 12:10, 46:6; Exodus 1:8-14).

Which brings us to ...

5. Law (Exodus 20 -- Millennial Kingdom):
a. God promises to grant Israel the promises he made to Abraham conditional to their obedience to his Law Exodus 19:3-8 ).
b. Israel apostatizes (broke law, rejected Christ), undergoes exile and dispersion, and is finally purified through the Great Tribulation (2 Kings 17:7-20, Matt. 27:1-25; Deut. 28:63-66, Luke 21:20-24).

The doctrine many folks keep bringing up without realizing it is called "active righteousness" and ends up in the believer being under the law because Christ kept the Law. Reformed writer Dr. R. C. Sproul sums it like this: The cross alone, however, does not justify us . . . We are justified not only by the death of Christ, but also by the life of Christ. Christ's mission of redemption was not limited to the cross. To save us He had to live a life of perfect righteousness. His perfect, active obedience was necessary for His and our salvation . . . We are constituted as righteous by the obedience of Christ which is imputed to us by faith [R. C. Sproul, Faith Alone, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1997), p. 103].

The question then is, does following the Law make one righteous? Was Abram declared rigtheous because of his works or his faith? Jesus is perfect, He is God and did the will of the Father perfectly “For Christ once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh . . .†1 Peter 3:18 “. . . being justified by His blood we shall be saved from wrath through Him†Rom.5:9. We are justified and seen as righteous because of Christ's death and not His perfect Law keeping. Our justication is in the risen Christ, He is our righteousness, not Christ Law keeping in our place, "But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Gal. 3

So what is the purpose of the Law if it doesn't make one righteous? The Law was a school master ("Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.") and as the school master of the Mosaic covenant, it showed the Jewish nation their sins and condemned those under the Law.

Quote: "Law has dominion over a man as long as he liveth†(Rom. 7:1). Paul then sets forth our complete deliverance from under the law when he says that those who were under the law were made dead to the law by the death of Christ, that they might be joined to another, to Him that was raised from the dead (Rom. 7:1-6). A dead man is not subject to civil or religious law; in like manner, the believer is not subject to the law of Moses because he is dead and risen in Christ. Therefore, to those who believe on Christ, the law has lost its authority to bring either condemnation or righteousness through the obedience of Christ. Paul finally concludes this argument in Romans by writing, “For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes†(Rom. 10:4). David Dunlap

William Kelly (the man in the pic under my name) wrote: Had Christ only kept the law, neither your soul nor mine could have been saved much less be blessed as we are. Whoever kept the law, it would have been a righteousness of the law, and not God's righteousness, which has not the smallest connection with obeying the law. Because Christ obeyed unto death, God brought in a new kind of righteousness â€â€not ours, but His own favor. Christ has been made a curse upon the tree; God has made Him sin for us that we might be the righteousness of God in Him.

Note: This is the Biblical view, it's not antinomianism (The word comes from the Greek anti, against, and nomos, law. It is the unbiblical practice of living without regard to the righteousness of God, using God's grace as a license to sin, and trusting grace to cleanse of sin.) http://www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_a-b.htm#_1_7 In no way am I suggesting that we live sinful lives, that's a red herring.
So what is the basis as a rule of life for the believer?

Quote: We are fully convinced that a superstructure of true, practical holiness can never be erected on a legal basis; and hence it is that we press 1 Cor 1:30, upon the attention of our readers. It is to be feared that many who have, in some measure, abandoned the legal ground, in the matter of "righteousness," are yet lingering thereon for "sanctification." We believe this to be the mistake of thousands, and we are most anxious to see it corrected. It is evident that a sinner cannot be justified by the works of the law; and it is equally evident that the law is not the rule of the believer’s life. As to the believer’s rule of life, the apostle does not say, "To me to live is the law;" but, "To me to live is Christ" (Phil. 1:21). Christ is our rule, our model, our touchstone, our all. We receive the Ten Commandments as part of the canon of inspiration; and moreover, we believe that the law remains in full force to rule and curse a man as long as he liveth. Let a sinner only try to get life by it, and see where it will put him; and let a believer only shape his way according to it, and see what it will make of him. We are fully convinced that if a man is walking according to the spirit of the gospel, he will not commit murder nor steal; but we are also convinced that a man, confining himself to the standard of the law of Moses would fall very short of the spirit of the gospel. – C.H. MACKINTOSH [Footnote #9--THE MACKINTOSH TREASURY– MISCELLANEOUS WRITINGS BY C.H.Mackintosh, p. 628, 653-654].

I stand with Paul when he wrote, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I LIVE BY THE FAITH OF THE SON OF GOD, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." Gal. 2:20 Because of Christ, I am a new creature (Gal. 6:15-16) set apart from the Law (2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 2:8-10; 4:24; Col. 3:10)

Here's a wonderful story to explain the relationship a believer has with the carnal nature and the Law.

Romans 7:

Notice first that in the picture by which, in Romans 7:1-4, Paul illustrates our deliverance from the Law, there is only one woman, while there are two husbands. The woman is in a very difficult position, for she can only be wife of one of the two, and unfortunately she is married to the less desirable one. Let us make no mistake, the man to whom she is married is a good man; but the trouble lies here, that the husband and wife are totally unsuited to one another. He is a most particular man, accurate to a degree; she on the other hand is decidedly easy-going. With him all is definite and precise; with her all is casual and haphazard. He wants everything just so, while she takes things as they come. How could there be happiness in such a home?

And then that husband is so exacting! He is always making demands upon her. And yet one cannot find fault with him, for as a husband he has a right to expect something of his wife; and besides, all his demands are perfectly legitimate. There is nothing wrong with the man and nothing wrong with his demands; the trouble is that he has the wrong kind of wife to carry them out. The two cannot get on at all; theirs are utterly incompatible natures. Thus the poor woman is in great distress. She is fully aware that she often makes mistakes, but living with such a husband it seems as though EVERYTHING she says and does is wrong! What hope is there for her? If only she were married to that other Man all would be well. He is no less exacting than her husband, but He also helps much. She would fain marry Him, but her husband is still alive. What can she do? She is "bound by law to the husband" and unless he dies she cannot legitimately marry that other Man.

The first husband is the Law; the second husband is Christ; and you are the woman. The law requires much, but offers no help in the carrying out of its requirements. The Lord Jesus requires just as much, yea more, but what He requires from us He Himself carries out in us. The law makes demands and leaves us helpless to fulfill them; Christ makes demands, but He Himself fulfills in us the very demands He makes. Little wonder that the woman desires to be freed from the first husband that she may marry that other Man! But her only hope of release is through the death of her first husband, and he holds on to life most tenaciously. Indeed there is not the least prospect of his passing away (see Matthew 5:18).

The law is going to continue for all eternity. If the Law will never pass away, then how can I ever be united to Christ? How can I marry a second husband if my first husband resolutely refuses to die? There is only one way out. If HE will not die, I can die, and if I die the marriage relationship is dissolved. And that is exactly God’s way of deliverance from the Law. The most important point to note in this section of Romans 7 is the transition from verse 3 to verse 4. Verses 1 to 3 show that the husband should die, but in verse 4 we see that in fact it is the woman who dies. The Law does not pass away, but I pass away, and by death I am freed from the Law. [Footnote #15--Watchman Nee, THE NORMAL CHRISTIAN LIFE, pages 107-109 (Chapter 9).]

That being said....

I was tattooed before I was born again, I have four tat's. Now that I'm saved, I just can't see myself doing it again, it's a conviction from deep inside. I don't know if we can make a Biblical arguement for it, but it just feels wrong to the soul, God gave me a body and I tried to change it based upon my own ideas of beauty?

It's a matter of liberty I guess.

Peace,

jm

God gave me a body and I tried to change it based upon my own ideas of beauty?

God gave me a hairy body. I have to shave my legs and my armpits and pluck my eyebrows.. but i don't feel like i'm insulting God. But again, i believe its a personal choice and if you feel convicted thats fine.. there are things I choose not to do because of my convictions (vegetarian, sweatshopfree clothing, no coke or pepsi products, no christmas/easter etc...) that I could use biblical verses to support.. but again.. these are choices I make that I feel are good for me.. not choices that if you don't follow should condemn you

JM. the story in blue you posted is an awesome representation of the law and christ/how it applies to us.. good stuff! thank you for sharing.

starbyfar said:
Is it a sin for me to plant roses and tulips in the same garden? My shirt is 40% polyester and 60% cotton! My dog is a golden retriever poodle mix.. and i plan on breeding him!

Lev 19:32 - 'Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD

Do you stand up everytime Solo enters the forums? just kidding lol!

I believe these commandments have figurative application. However, I do believe we should obey them.

sbf said:
]There are only 2 laws, we as Christians are to follow.. so sayeth Christ.. these are Love the Lord your God..... and Love your neighbor as yourself. These 2 laws encompass of all the moral laws we are obligated to follow.

He did not say these are the only two laws we are to follow. He said they are the greatest and that on them hang all the law and prophets. There's a profound difference...

You quoted the verse yourself.

starbyfar said:
So then you follow all the laws in the old testament??? Or which ones did you decide were followable? Why did Christ die?

I'll answer each of these three questions:

(1) You cannot. All of them do not apply to any singular individual. Some are for males, some for females, some for priests, some if you have cattle, some if the temple were still standing etc.

(2) Unless there is something that forbids the following of any laws (like if you haven't learned yet or there is no possible way to perform it) then you should follow everything you can as you grow and learn.

(3) Christ died for our lawlessness (Titus 2:14).

sbf said:
By your continuous effort to keep the law, you aren't recieving grace, you're saying that what He did wasn't enough.. you gotta put a little stank on it and make sure you're REALLY saved.

Not true. I'd like to quote you.

QUOTE "starbyfar":
I AM keeping his commandments.. I'm loving my neighbor as myself (atleast trying) and loving my God .. and in doing that i'm following the 10 commandments. I strive to do as Christ did and live a life that pleases and honors God..

Why are you striving to obey the law? Loving the one true Elohim is commanded in the law, and Christ said that all the law and prophets hang off of it. So by striving, according to your own self, you aren't receiving grace.

I'd like your opinion on Romans 7:6. Does it mean we do not have to obey the law? If so, what does Romans 8:7 mean?

starbyfar said:
JM. the story in blue you posted is an awesome representation of the law and christ/how it applies to us.. good stuff! thank you for sharing.

I disagree with it as it presents the common error that the first husband is the law. That is not what the text says. The text says a woman is bound by law to a husband, not bound to the law.

I believe one has to understand the law of a husband (Deuteronomy 24:1-4) to know what Paul means. Afterall, in verse 1, he did say he was speaking to those who "know the law". Sadly, many people who have been taught by their preachers to ignore the "old testament" and continue to have their noses stuck in the new don't know the law and so therefore this scripture would be meaningless to them, since it applies to those who "know the law".

What was the purpose of the Law?

Romans 7:6
"But now (now that we are saved and IN CHRIST) we have been (past tense) delivered (released, compare 7:2 "loosed" and 7:3 "free") from the law, that having died to that by which we were held (bound); we should be serving (as God’s slave--6:22) in newness of spirit (compare Romans 8:2) and not in the oldness of the letter (a reference to the law). The law can never deliver a person. We need God’s Spirit and God’s life. The believer can say, "I died to the law because of Christ’s death and I live to serve God because of Christ’s resurrection." Paul said it this way, "For I through the law died to the law that I might live unto God" (Gal. 2:19 and see also Gal. 2:20). Do you recognize the wonderful fact that as a believer in Christ you have DIED to the law and are ALIVE unto God?

"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17).

Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

The Law is the Law of Christ for the NT believer.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Gal 6:3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Gal 6:4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
Gal 6:5 For every man shall bear his own burden.

JM said:
What was the purpose of the Law?

Romans 7:6
"But now (now that we are saved and IN CHRIST) we have been (past tense) delivered (released, compare 7:2 "loosed" and 7:3 "free") from the law, that having died to that by which we were held (bound); we should be serving (as God’s slave--6:22) in newness of spirit (compare Romans 8:2) and not in the oldness of the letter (a reference to the law). The law can never deliver a person. We need God’s Spirit and God’s life. The believer can say, "I died to the law because of Christ’s death and I live to serve God because of Christ’s resurrection." Paul said it this way, "For I through the law died to the law that I might live unto God" (Gal. 2:19 and see also Gal. 2:20). Do you recognize the wonderful fact that as a believer in Christ you have DIED to the law and are ALIVE unto God?

I agree with everything here. But the context is sin. Being dead to the law is being free from sin, not free from obedience (Romans 6:15-16).

JM said:
"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17).

Indeed.

The Law is the Law of Christ for the NT believer.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Gal 6:3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Gal 6:4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
Gal 6:5 For every man shall bear his own burden.

Cannot be different from the law of Moses or contrary to the law of Moses, as Christ taught Mosaic precepts as the basis for his doctrine.

Why are you striving to obey the law? Loving the one true Elohim is commanded in the law, and Christ said that all the law and prophets hang off of it. So by striving, according to your own self, you aren't receiving grace.

I said I was striving to imitate Christ, not obey the law.

starbyfar wrote:
So then you follow all the laws in the old testament??? Or which ones did you decide were followable? Why did Christ die?

I'll answer each of these three questions:

(1) You cannot. All of them do not apply to any singular individual. Some are for males, some for females, some for priests, some if you have cattle, some if the temple were still standing etc.

If you can't obey all of them perfectly, then you're cannot be saved by the law. The verses posted about flowers and mixed breed animals and different fabric clothing... do you abide by those? Do you cut your hair or shave your beard? Do you obeserve the passover,feast of lights and so on and so forth... And if so, do you really believe that you're saved and i'm not because you obey the law and I don't?

(2) Unless there is something that forbids the following of any laws (like if you haven't learned yet or there is no possible way to perform it) then you should follow everything you can as you grow and learn.

Romans 2:23 - You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?

(3) Christ died for our lawlessness (Titus 2:14).

So are you saying that we are called to follow the law, but since we can't Christ died so that we could keep trying, although it is never possible to follow the law in a manner pleasing to God?

I'd like your opinion on Romans 3:20 - Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

The key to understanding this issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to make the Israelites know how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example), some of them were to show them how to worship God (the sacrificial system), some of them were to simply make the Israelites different from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law applies to us today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

In place of the Old Testament law, we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2) which is to, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments†(Matthew 22:37-40). If we do these two things, we will be fulfilling all that Christ wants for us to do, “This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome†(1 John 5:3). Technically, the Ten Commandments are not even applicable to Christians. However, 9 of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God we won't be worshipping other gods or worshipping idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we won't be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. So, we are not under any of the requirements of the Old Testament law. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we do those two things faithfully, everything else will fall into place.

GotQuestions.org

[/quote]

Cannot be different from the law of Moses or contrary to the law of Moses, as Christ taught Mosaic precepts as the basis for his doctrine.

Not true.

Many things were different about Christ's doctrine. He quoted a lot of OT scripture, but everything was taken further.

I don't have time to go through eveything, but here are a few examples simply from Matthew when Christ gave the sermon on the Mount.

Matt5:21 - "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment.

Matt 5:27-28 - "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matthew 5:31-32 "It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'[a] 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Point being, there is definitly a teaching different from the OT coming from Christ, and thats what I follow.

starbyfar said:
I said I was striving to imitate Christ, not obey the law.

A false dilemma. You can't do one without doing the other. You also said you try to love God and your neighbor. These are commanded in the law and nowhere else (unless some on in the NT is quoting it).

So by trying to follow the law, then, according to your own words you aren't receiving grace.

sbf said:
If you can't obey all of them perfectly, then you're cannot be saved by the law. The verses posted about flowers and mixed breed animals and different fabric clothing... do you abide by those? Do you cut your hair or shave your beard? Do you obeserve the passover,feast of lights and so on and so forth... And if so, do you really believe that you're saved and i'm not because you obey the law and I don't?

Who said I had to be perfect? The bible says:

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Yahshua ha Mashiach the righteous:

Anyway, yes, I do observe the feasts (festival of lights is tradition and not commanded in the law). Anyway, I own no field and no livestock or any type of animals. As far as fabric, the only fabrics mentioned are wool and linen. If he meant any types of garments, I believe he would have just said "garments". He didn't specify or name types of seeds or cattle. He did with fabric, however. This leads me to believe only those specific fabrics are not to be mingled.

And no, I did not say you weren't saved. In error, imo, though.

sbf said:
Romans 2:23 - You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?

This is talking about being a hypocrite. Teaching others not to kill and steal, etc and doing it yourself.

sbf said:
So are you saying that we are called to follow the law, but since we can't Christ died so that we could keep trying, although it is never possible to follow the law in a manner pleasing to God?

You introduce unscriptural concepts here. Who says we can't guard and obey the law in a pleasing manner to Yahweh? Following the law is simple. There is a bad way and a good way, and then there's not following it at all (blatant rebellion).

The first way is doing it in truth and love and faithfulness. The second way is doing it in hypocrisy, or only outwardly or being partial in it. Like, say, you stole and then tried to come back and keep the sabbath like nothing happened. This is the "bad" way to follow the law. We are called to worship Yahweh in spirit and truth.

sbf said:
I'd like your opinion on Romans 3:20 - Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

It says what it says. You quoted it.

sbf said:
The key to understanding this issue is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians.

The phrase "Old Testament law" is not in scripture, but let's consider what you've said here.

So if it does not apply to Christians (which is a manmade title anyway, given by man to believers), why do you try to love the one Elohim and your neighbor?

Both of these laws were specifically given to Israel. As a matter of fact, the greatest commandment begins with, "Hear, O Israel..."

All of the law was given to Israel. That includes the prophets, the psalms etc. Do these apply to you?

sbf said:
Some of the laws were to make the Israelites know how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example), some of them were to show them how to worship God (the sacrificial system), some of them were to simply make the Israelites different from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law applies to us today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

Then if none of this "old testament law" applies today, you should not be loving your neighbor or doing anything good and righteous. As far as your "end to the Old Testament law" scriptures, I will address each one.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

This does not say he ended it. It says he is the end of it. The Greek word used here is telos, meaning "goal/purpose", not "termination". Everytime in scripture where it talks about the "end of" something, "goal or purpose" is more accurate.

Examples:

James 5:11
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end [telos] of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

Yahweh has been terminated and we have seen it?

1 Peter 1:9
Receiving the end [telos] of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

The termination of faith? I could have sworn 1 Corinthians 13:13 says that faith, hope and love remain.

The context of the scripture also backs me up. Many in Israel reject Christ on account of the law, when in reality, he is the goal/purpose of the law.

See John 5:39 and even one of your scriptures here, Galatians 3:24.

The law is established (Romans 3:31) and witnesses to the righteousness of Yahweh (3:21).

And if the law has been "terminated", why did Paul quote it in the 10th chapter of Romans right after he supposedy said it was ended? In verse 5-8, he is quoting the law.

Next:

Galatians 3:23
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Galatians 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Galatians 3:25
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

All this says is that, based on verse 22, the law kept us in sin till we could find a redeemer and be justified by faith in that redeemer. Now that this faith in that redeemer is revealed, the law no longer keeps "shut up". This has nothing to do with obeying it. This has to do with whether or not these believers should be submitted to the Jews who had "bewitched" them, and who taught justification by circumcision and making believers Jewish converts. He calls the law "scripture" here. It can't be ended because of what he says in 2 Timothy 3:16.

Next:

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Law of commandments in dogma (the Greek word for "ordinances" used here in the KJV). Extrabiblical precepts placed upon believers by Jewish authorities.

The law (of Moses, or law of Elohim) never separated Jew from non-Jew. This scripture is saying something separated Jew from non-Jew as "enmity" and Christ had to abolish it. What does the law say?

Deuteronomy 4:5
Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as יהוה my Elohim commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
Deuteronomy 4:6
Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
Deuteronomy 4:7
For what nation is there so great, who hath Elohim so nigh unto them, as יהוה our Elohim is in all things that we call upon him for?
Deuteronomy 4:8
And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

According to Moses, the giver of the law, the law was an invitation. The nations would see Israel with the law and glorify Yahweh.

The law also commands:

Exodus 22:21
Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt

Deuteronomy 32:43
Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people...

Leviticus 19:33-34 is also a good passage to prove my point.

According to the law itself, the law brought both together in unity to glorify the one Elohim, who is Yahweh.

This lets us know that Ephesians is not speaking of the law. If it is, Paul is a liar, as he contradicts the scriptures as well as himself in many cases.

So if it is not talking about the law, what is it talking about? I believe he is referring to extrabiblical dogmas like the outer court of the gentiles etc.

sbf said:
In place of the Old Testament law, we are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2)

Scripture says no such thing. That is your opinion based on what you think scripture is saying.

sbf said:
which is to, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments†(Matthew 22:37-40).

You just refuted your argument here. If he ended the law and replaced it, why did he use it here as the basis of his doctrine? He quotes directly from and says the law and prophets hang off of the two greatest commandments therefore it can't be ended. How can it be "ended"? How can it be all the bad things people say it is if Christ himself says that the greatest thing in it is love?

sbf said:
Technically, the Ten Commandments are not even applicable to Christians.

I assume you mean the 4th commandment when you say "Ten Commandments"...

sbf said:
However, 9 of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God we won't be worshipping other gods or worshipping idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we won't be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them.

Ah, so you are one of those people who believe in the 9 commandment theory (no offense)? That theory is flawed.

Not all of the ten commandments are repeated or quoted in the NT. The principles of them are. Say, not having other gods. That must be taken from a scripture such as 1 Corinthians 8:6. The NT never repeats, "you shall have no other gods before me". It must implied from similar texts.

By the same logic, we can say the sabbath commandment is found in the NT in a scripture such as Matthew 12:12, where Christ says it is lawful to do good on it. It can't be lawful to do good on a day that he supposedly ended. Luke also mentions the sabbath "according to the commandment".

sbf said:
]So, we are not under any of the requirements of the Old Testament law.

Loving Yahweh and our neighbor are "old testament law" requirements.

sbf said:
We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we do those two things faithfully, everything else will fall into place.

Surely, but saying Yahweh's law is ended is not the fullest way to love him.

starbyfar said:
Not true.

That is 100% true and can be supported easily by several scriptures.

sbf said:
Many things were different about Christ's doctrine. He quoted a lot of OT scripture, but everything was taken further.

Alright then. There's a difference between expounding or elaborating on things and contradicting them.

sbf said:
Point being, there is definitly a teaching different from the OT coming from Christ, and thats what I follow.

Wrong. What he said wasn't different. As a teacher, he taught. He wasn't the only teacher ever to give torah doctrine.

As a matter of fact, many of his teachings can be compared with that of the Pharisees of his day!

Like looking at a woman and it being lust. Look a this Talmudic teaching:

One who gazes lustfully upon the small finger of a married woman, it is as if he has committed adultery with her.- Kallah, Ch. 1

Do you think that before Christ came, absolutely no one was aware that you were not supposed to even think bad thoughts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back