Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What's Up With the Sabbath?

This thread is intended to answer questions such as:
- what day is the Sabbath Day?
- Are we commanded to keep the sabbath day today?
- Is the sabbath a day of worship or of rest?

It seems that the 1st christians did not have a special day of worship when examining the New Testament. They met daily and as Romans 12:1-2 states, they were to present their bodies a living sacrifice daily which was their reasonable act of worship.

The sabbath is and always will be the 7th day from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. The only question is this, who if anyone is commmissioned to "keep the sabbath holy" post national Israel? God made the 7th day special in the creation week, but DID NOT commission anyone to "keep it" until Sinai. Galations, Romans, as well as Hebrews speak on how the covenant between God and national Israel came to a conclusion "in Christ", and since that time, NO ONE has been commissioned by God to keep His Sabbath, no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us see if we can shed some light on this Sabbath issue, why not start from the beginning.

Genesis
31 Then God viewed everything He made, and {Look!} it was very good. So came the evening and morning of day six.
Chapter 2
1 So God finished heaven and earth, and all the arranging of them. 2 God completed his work of making these things on the sixth day. And on the seventh day, He stopped making them. 3 Then God blest the seventh day and made it holy, because He had finished all the work that He started out to do.

From Genesis and the above text, we can make some observations.
1. a day was from evening to evening, rather than morning to morning
2. God blessed and make the 7th day holy in the beginning
3. no one was told to keep the sabbath day holy

No, let's go to the book of the Exodus.
Chapter 20
8 ‘Keep the Sabbath day and make it holy. 9 You may work and get everything done in six days, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of your God Jehovah, and you must do no work… not you, your son, your daughter, your male servant, your female servant, your ox, your burro, any of your cattle, or any strangers that are visiting among you. 11 Because, Jehovah made the sky, the ground, the seas and everything in them, then He rested on the seventh day. So Jehovah blest the seventh day and made it holy.

Exodus 23:22 God says ti Israel: ‘If you listen to what I tell you, do everything that I tell you to do, and keep My Sacred Agreement, you will be a special people to Me above all other nations; for the whole earth is Mine. Then you will become a holy nation of Royal Priests.

Exodus 24:4 Then Moses [sat down] and wrote everything that Jehovah said. And early the next morning, he built an Altar at the base of the mountain using twelve stones [to represent] the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 And he sent young men from the children of Israel to offer up whole burnt offerings and to sacrifice young calves as a peace offering to God. 6 Then Moses took half of the blood and poured it into bowls, and he poured the other half on the Altar.7 Thereafter, [Moses] took the scroll of the Sacred Agreement [that he wrote] and read it to the people. And they [again] said, ‘We will do and pay attention to everything that Jehovah has said.’ 8 Then Moses took the blood [from the bowls] and sprinkled it on the people, and he said: ‘{Look!} This is the blood of the Sacred Agreement that Jehovah has made with you over the things that you’ve [agreed to].’

The above texts illustrate how Israel and God made a covenant (sacred agreement) with one another. Observance of the Sabbath was part of that agreement.

New Testament Sabbath keeping instruction

Hebrews:
Chapter 3
1 Therefore, holy brothers among the calling of heavenly partakers; Let’s consider this Apostle and High Priest whom we confess, Jesus. 2 He was faithful to the One who made him, just as Moses was within His whole House. 3 However, [Jesus] was considered to be worthy of greater glory than Moses, because he who builds the house receives more honor there. 4 Of course, every house is built by someone, but He who builds all things is God.
5 Now, Moses was truly a faithful subordinate within His whole House, [for he served] as a witness to things that hadn’t been explained. 6 But the Anointed One is a Son [that is] over His House, and we are that House… as long as we continue in our [work of] speaking openly and boasting about our hope to the end. 7 It’s because of this, that [God’s] Holy Breath says, ‘If you should hear His voice today, 8 don’t harden your hearts as happened in the bitter day of testing in the desert. 9 For, that’s when your fathers tested Me to prove [My power]… yet they’d been watching what I was doing for forty years! 10 This is the reason why I became so disgusted with that generation and said, Their hearts are always wandering, and they’ve never understood My ways. 11 So, in My anger I swore, They will never enter My rest.’ 12 Therefore, watch out brothers, that none of your hearts ever become wicked and unbelieving, and then cause you to pull away from the Living God! 13 Encourage each other every day – including today – so that none of you will become hardened and be tempted to sin. 14 For, we are sharers in the Anointed One as long as we hang onto this position that we’ve started with until the end. 15 That’s why it was said, ‘If you should hear His Voice today, 8 don’t harden your hearts as happened in the bitter day of testing in the desert.’ 16 Now, just who was it that heard and caused this bitterness? Wasn’t it all those who left Egypt under Moses? 17 And just who was it that He became disgusted with for forty years? Wasn’t it those who had sinned and whose carcasses fell in the desert? 18 And who was it that He said wouldn’t enter His Rest… if not those who disobeyed? 19 So, we can see that they couldn’t enter [His Rest] due to their lack of faith!
Chapter 4
1 Therefore, we should [all] fear that some of us might be left behind when it comes to the promise of entering His rest, 2 because we’ve had the good news preached to us, just as they did. Yet, they failed to benefit from hearing those words, because the faith of those who heard and believed didn’t rub off on them! 3 However, those of us who have believed will enter His Rest. And although He said, ‘So, in my anger I swore that they’ll never enter My Rest,’ His work [has actually been finished] since the founding of the world! 4 Why, in one place He said this about the seventh day: ‘God rested from all His works on the seventh day.’ 5 And here [He said], ‘They will never enter My rest.’ 6 So, we must conclude that some will enter it! However, those to whom this good news was first given didn’t enter it because of their disobedience. 7 Then He mentioned a particular day, ‘today,’ in David’s [psalm]. And later on, He said (as I mentioned before), ‘If you should hear His voice today, 8 don’t harden your hearts.’ 8 Now, if Joshua had already led them to this place of rest, [God] wouldn’t have spoken of another day later on. 9 So, there’s still a Sabbath for the people of God to observe. 10 And those who enter His rest must also rest from the things they’re doing, just as God rested from [the things] He [was doing]. 11 Therefore, let’s do everything that we can to enter that rest, so no one will fail because of disobedience.

The above is a loaded text which is tiugh to understand without being familiar with the exodus and travels of Israel from Eygpt to the land of promise. It seems the Hebrew writer in not using the sabbath to describe the 7th day, but rather the inheritance/promise that God made to those who kept His ways (abide by the covenant/sacred agreement) in ancient Israel with the followers of Jesus who were being encouraged to keep the faith. The Sabbath in this text seems to represent the reward of the faithful rather than a day of the week.

please note:
In the Old Testament there were special high sabbaths in addition to the weekly 7th day sabbath. When you see the word sabbath, think rest rather than a day of ritualistic (which are often pagan) worship service practices.

If anyone is interested, they can go here and get some info on why the sabbath was changed to the solar calendar sunday. Although Dr Sam was an adventist, he did a great study about the sabbath.

From Sabbath to Sunday

Samuele R. Bacchiocchi

Bacchiocchi studied at the Pontifical Gregorian University. He was the first non-Catholic to be admitted since its beginning in the 16th century.[3] He completed a Doctoratus in Church History in 1974 on the subject of the decline of Sabbath observance in the Early Christian church, based on his research in the Vatican libraries. He was awarded a gold medal by Pope Paul VI for the distinction of summa cum laude (Latin for "with highest praise").[4]

Yeah what is UP with the sabbath man!

He's been moody and grumpy for 2000 years. :)

Seriously, if yer Christian I wouldn't worry too much about what day the sabbath is. We're not required to observe it weekly. We're not OT Henrews.

The sabbath for us is our REST in Christ Jesus. Everyday. Phew. Relief.

Christs yoke is easy. His burden is light. All He requires is FAITH and LOVE.

Doc.

Yeah what is UP with the sabbath man!

He's been moody and grumpy for 2000 years. :)

Seriously, if yer Christian I wouldn't worry too much about what day the sabbath is. We're not required to observe it weekly. We're not OT Henrews.

The sabbath for us is our REST in Christ Jesus. Everyday. Phew. Relief.

Christs yoke is easy. His burden is light. All He requires is FAITH and LOVE.

Doc.

Jesus kept the sabbath as God commanded. Christians today keep the sabbath as the church commanded. Paul kept the sabbath as God commanded. Christians, both Jew and Gentile, kept the sabbath as God commanded up until the 3rd century when Constantine and the council decided to change it because they wanted nothing to with the Jewish people. From Wikipedia;
But the catholic church admits openly that they changed the sabbath worship from Saturday to Sunday: "Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claim to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles..... From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." Catholic Press, Sydney, Australia, August 1900.
In a recent Catholic church newsletter it stated, "Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. 'The Day of the Lord' [dies domini] was chosen, not from any direction noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power..... People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become [Seventh-Day] Adventists, and keep Saturday holy." Saint Catherine Catholic Church Sentinel, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995.

something to think about

Stay Blessed

Jesus kept the sabbath as God commanded.

Yes he followed the law to the letter

Christians today keep the sabbath as the church commanded.

You can speak for yourself. I and many other Christians know that we are not bound by any OT law. And especially not bound by any 'church' commandments.

Paul kept the sabbath as God commanded. Christians, both Jew and Gentile, kept the sabbath as God commanded ......

Show me where Paul kept the Sabbath?

Show me anywhere in the NT where God commands Jews or Gentiles to keep it.

Jesus kept the sabbath as God commanded. Christians today keep the sabbath as the church commanded. Paul kept the sabbath as God commanded. Christians, both Jew and Gentile, kept the sabbath as God commanded up until the 3rd century when Constantine and the council decided to change it because they wanted nothing to with the Jewish people. From Wikipedia;
But the catholic church admits openly that they changed the sabbath worship from Saturday to Sunday: "Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claim to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles..... From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." Catholic Press, Sydney, Australia, August 1900.
In a recent Catholic church newsletter it stated, "Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. 'The Day of the Lord' [dies domini] was chosen, not from any direction noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power..... People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become [Seventh-Day] Adventists, and keep Saturday holy." Saint Catherine Catholic Church Sentinel, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995.

something to think about

Stay Blessed

No problem with the post per/say. Except, having rome tell me that 'i' 'should 'become a [Seventh-Day] Adventist,..'?? because.. they profess to keep the 7th day original Sabbath is like telling me to become Jewish because they profess to keep the True 7th Day Sabbath!:screwloose Hey friends: See Eccl. 3:15 + Matt. 23:3!

romes leadership have shifted 'gears' with [all apostate] folds, where they use to say 'leave them' and come join us, they now have all of these church's as satanic bed/partners as we see in Matt. 6:24. And now they are saying DO NOT LEAVE! And the reason is that they are romes fold's even now!

And yes, here is some more 'documented facts to think about!

--Elijah

Yes he followed the law to the letter

You can speak for yourself. I and many other Christians know that we are not bound by any OT law. And especially not bound by any 'church' commandments.
Hmmmm are you claiming in the name of christian liberty the right to free love, theft, murder ect?
Show me where Paul kept the Sabbath?

Show me anywhere in the NT where God commands Jews or Gentiles to keep it.

"“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." - Matt 5:17-18

"And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.â€: Mark 2:27-28

At one point does Christ or any part of the cannon change these would be my question?

"Show me where Paul kept the Sabbath?"

The best I can do is Luke and Acts

Luk 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up in order to read.
Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

The laws, not done away with, but changed include things like circumcision. Heart instead of flesh. Jesus changed these things, not the early church.
These:
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Set-apart Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessities:
Act 15:29 that you abstain from what is offered to idols, and blood, and what is strangled, and whoring.1 If you keep yourselves from these, you shall do well. Be strong!
were given for that time because judaizers who were telling gentiles they had to convert to judaism in order to be saved.
Act 15:24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your lives, to whom we gave no command –

Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets.1 I did not come to destroy but to complete. Footnote: 1The Law and the Prophets is a term used for the pre-Messianic Scriptures.
Mat 5:18 “For truly, I say to you, till the heaven and the earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall by no means pass from the Torah till all be done.
Mat 5:19 “Whoever, then, breaks one of the least of these commands, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the reign of the heavens; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the reign of the heavens.
Mat 5:20 “For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees,1 you shall by no means enter into the reign of the heavens. Footnote: 1Mt. 15:3-9, Mk. 7:7-13, John 7:19, Acts 7:53, Rom. 2:23-27, Gal. 6:13.

“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees" refers to the oral law.

Stay Blessed :yes

To better understand the issue of sabbath keeping, we must come to a proper understanding of the law itself. The 7th day was blessed by the Lord long before any law was established and before man was commissioned to keep it holy.

Now, the law we must remember was a part of a covenant beginning at Sinai between GOD and the nation of Israel. The 10 Commandments should more accurately be called the 10 Words of the Covenant. ALL of those ordinances along with the things that came later were a part of that covenant between those parties, no one else.
So, once the covenant between Israel and GOD was finished and annulled (because of the nation's disobedience and rebellion culminating with the murder of Jesus and many of his holy ones), this covenant was no longer in place and therefore NO ONE was commissioned to keep the sabbath anymore as part of a covenant agreement.

Exodus 23:22 God says ti Israel: ‘If you listen to what I tell you, do everything that I tell you to do, and keep My Sacred Agreement, you will be a special people to Me above all other nations; for the whole earth is Mine. Then you will become a holy nation of Royal Priests.

Exodus 24:4 Then Moses [sat down] and wrote everything that Jehovah said. And early the next morning, he built an Altar at the base of the mountain using twelve stones [to represent] the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 And he sent young men from the children of Israel to offer up whole burnt offerings and to sacrifice young calves as a peace offering to God. 6 Then Moses took half of the blood and poured it into bowls, and he poured the other half on the Altar.7 Thereafter, [Moses] took the scroll of the Sacred Agreement [that he wrote] and read it to the people. And they [again] said, ‘We will do and pay attention to everything that Jehovah has said.’ 8 Then Moses took the blood [from the bowls] and sprinkled it on the people, and he said: ‘{Look!} This is the blood of the Sacred Agreement that Jehovah has made with you over the things that you’ve [agreed to].’

The above texts illustrate how Israel and God made a covenant (sacred agreement) with one another. Observance of the Sabbath was part of that agreement.

Hmmmm are you claiming in the name of christian liberty the right to free love, theft, murder ect?

Lolz....certainly not good sir.

I'm just saying we're not bound by OT written law.

We are a law unto ourselves..in Christ. We obey the moral law of God through our nature, not through observance of Torah.

"Show me where Paul kept the Sabbath?"

The best I can do is Luke and Acts

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up in order to read.
Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Ya well, I'm afraid thats not good enough friend. There was a day known as the sabbath day to those that Paul was preaching to. He went and preached to them on that day. This doesn't mean that he observed the statutes of the sabbath in any way shape or form (really, he shouldn't even be leaving his house), and never are we followers of Christ told to do so yet the other MORAL commandments of God are reiterated time and time again in the NT.

The laws, not done away with, but changed include things like circumcision. Heart instead of flesh. Jesus changed these things, not the early church.

OT written law has VANISHED AWAY. We are not sons of the bondwomen we are children of the promise and of the FREE!

Why tempt ye to put a YOKE around the neck of your brethren?

To better understand the issue of sabbath keeping, we must come to a proper understanding of the law itself. The 7th day was blessed by the Lord long before any law was established and before man was commissioned to keep it holy.

Now, the law we must remember was a part of a covenant beginning at Sinai between GOD and the nation of Israel. The 10 Commandments should more accurately be called the 10 Words of the Covenant. ALL of those ordinances along with the things that came later were a part of that covenant between those parties, no one else.
So, once the covenant between Israel and GOD was finished and annulled (because of the nation's disobedience and rebellion culminating with the murder of Jesus and many of his holy ones), this covenant was no longer in place and therefore NO ONE was commissioned to keep the sabbath anymore as part of a covenant agreement.

[

My brother in Christ, were we not grafted in? Jesus gave the covenant to the Jews, and gentiles were allowed to partake of it through faith in Jesus Christ. Not conversion or circumcision, but faith.
Up until a year ago or so, I believed as others here. Freedom from the law, until I started seeing that freedom causing the tearing down of Christianity in america. Though we may all believe in Jesus, there is no unity, we are not of one mind. The donimations all have their own sense of right and wrong. Not to mention the fact that most disreguard the chastisement of Paul in 1Cor.

1Co 1:10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
1Co 1:11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.
1Co 1:12 What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ."
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Protestant, Episcopalian( Lord help us), Catholic, Evangelical, Charismatic, and on and on and on. And you can plainly see the degradation of some of these because they do not keep the law of God.

Col 2:16 Let no one therefore judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths –
Christians believe this justifies not keeping the sabbath, the Passover, etc; yet the very next verse tells us, I firmly believe, why we should.
Col 2:17 which are a shadow of what is to come – but the Body of the Messiah.

What do we celebrate that shows His coming again? Israel was given the feasts and festivals that pointed to the coming of Messiah. Is He not coming back? what exactly do we have that celebrates His Life, death, resurrection and return? we have Christmas and easter. There is a way to celebrate the birth of Christ that honors God. It does not include the traditions we have all come to love.

In a previous post I quoted the church saying that they changed the sabbath day to sunday under their own authority, with no backing from scripture. Should not that be enough alone to say, wait a minute, and at least investigate?

I know that it truly comes down to keeping the sabbath, feasts and festivals. God's appointed times. But it seems there is a line drawn in the sand. Christians have Jesus, Israel has God. There has to be a way to reconcile and unite.

Stay Blessed.

This thread is intended to answer questions such as:
- what day is the Sabbath Day?
- Are we commanded to keep the sabbath day today?
- Is the sabbath a day of worship or of rest?

The Sabbath was made for us—we were not made for the Sabbath. Jesus said so.

We each need a day of rest each week. It doesn’t have to be any particular day like Saturday or Sunday. If it did, we’d have no policemen, doctors, nurses, etc. on that day.

The Sabbath was made for us—we were not made for the Sabbath. Jesus said so.

We each need a day of rest each week. It doesn’t have to be any particular day like Saturday or Sunday. If it did, we’d have no policemen, doctors, nurses, etc. on that day.

Respectfully, elijah, these verses tell us the police, doctors and nurses are allowed to do their good work.

(Mat 12:5 ESV) Or have you not read in the Law how on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are guiltless?

Mat 12:8-12 ESV
(8) For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."
(9) He went on from there and entered their synagogue.
(10) And a man was there with a withered hand. And they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"--so that they might accuse him.
(11) He said to them, "Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out?
(12) Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Luk 13:10-17 ESV
(10) Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.
(11) And there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.
(12) When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, "Woman, you are freed from your disability."
(13) And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God.
(14) But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the people, "There are six days in which work ought to be done. Come on those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day."
(15) Then the Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it?
(16) And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?"
(17) As he said these things, all his adversaries were put to shame, and all the people rejoiced at all the glorious things that were done by him.

Stay Blessed

Let us see if we can shed some light on this Sabbath issue, why not start from the beginning.

Genesis
Then God viewed everything He made, and {Look!} it was very good. So came the evening and morning of day six.

Chapter 2
So God finished heaven and earth, and all the arranging of them. God completed his work of making these things on the sixth day. And on the seventh day, He stopped making them. Then God blest the seventh day and made it holy, because He had finished all the work that He started out to do.​

From Genesis and the above text, we can make some observations.
1. a day was from evening to evening, rather than morning to morning
2. God blessed and make the 7th day holy in the beginning
3. no one was told to keep the sabbath day holy

No, let's go to the book of the Exodus.
Chapter 20
‘Keep the Sabbath day and make it holy. You may work and get everything done in six days, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of your God Jehovah, and you must do no work… not you, your son, your daughter, your male servant, your female servant, your ox, your burro, any of your cattle, or any strangers that are visiting among you. Because, Jehovah made the sky, the ground, the seas and everything in them, then He rested on the seventh day. So Jehovah blest the seventh day and made it holy.​

Exodus 23:22 God says to Israel:
If you listen to what I tell you, do everything that I tell you to do, and keep My Sacred Agreement, you will be a special people to Me above all other nations; for the whole earth is Mine. Then you will become a holy nation of Royal Priests.

Exodus 24:4-8
Then Moses [sat down] and wrote everything that Jehovah said. And early the next morning, he built an Altar at the base of the mountain using twelve stones [to represent] the twelve tribes of Israel. And he sent young men from the children of Israel to offer up whole burnt offerings and to sacrifice young calves as a peace offering to God. Then Moses took half of the blood and poured it into bowls, and he poured the other half on the Altar. Thereafter, [Moses] took the scroll of the Sacred Agreement [that he wrote] and read it to the people. And they [again] said, ‘We will do and pay attention to everything that Jehovah has said.’ Then Moses took the blood [from the bowls] and sprinkled it on the people, and he said: ‘{Look!} This is the blood of the Sacred Agreement that Jehovah has made with you over the things that you’ve [agreed to].’

New Testament Sabbath keeping instruction

Hebrews:
Chapter 3
Therefore, holy brothers among the calling of heavenly partakers; Let’s consider this Apostle and High Priest whom we confess, Jesus.
‘If you should hear His voice today, don’t harden your hearts as happened in the bitter day of testing in the desert. For, that’s when your fathers tested Me to prove [My power]… yet they’d been watching what I was doing for forty years! This is the reason why I became so disgusted with that generation and said, Their hearts are always wandering, and they’ve never understood My ways. So, in My anger I swore, They will never enter My rest.’ Therefore, watch out brothers, that none of your hearts ever become wicked and unbelieving, and then cause you to pull away from the Living God!
And just who was it that He became disgusted with for forty years? Wasn’t it those who had sinned and whose carcasses fell in the desert? And who was it that He said wouldn’t enter His Rest… if not those who disobeyed? So, we can see that they couldn’t enter [His Rest] due to their lack of faith!

Chapter 4
Therefore, we should [all] fear that some of us might be left behind when it comes to the promise of entering His rest, because we’ve had the good news preached to us, just as they did. Yet, they failed to benefit from hearing those words, because the faith of those who heard and believed didn’t rub off on them! However, those of us who have believed will enter His Rest. And although He said, ‘So, in my anger I swore that they’ll never enter My Rest,’ His work [has actually been finished] since the founding of the world! Why, in one place He said this about the seventh day: ‘God rested from all His works on the seventh day.’ And here [He said], ‘They will never enter My rest.’ So, we must conclude that some will enter it! However, those to whom this good news was first given didn’t enter it because of their disobedience.
Therefore, let’s do everything that we can to enter that rest, so no one will fail because of disobedience.

The above is a loaded text which is tough to understand without being familiar with the exodus and travels of Israel from Egypt to the land of promise. It seems the Hebrew writer in not using the sabbath to describe the 7th day, but rather the inheritance/promise that God made to those who kept His ways (abide by the covenant/sacred agreement) in ancient Israel with the followers of Jesus who were being encouraged to keep the faith. The Sabbath in this text seems to represent the reward of the faithful rather than a day of the week.

please note:
In the Old Testament there were special high sabbaths in addition to the weekly 7th day sabbath. When you see the word sabbath, think rest rather than a day of ritualistic (which are often pagan) worship service practices.

Thank you.

Cordially,

~Sparrow

Back