Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What's with the name of this forum?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
P

Poke

"Roman Catholic and other Orthodox Faiths"

It seems to be nothing but thre Roman Catholic forum. What other orthodox faiths? Orthodox judaism? Eastern Orthodox church?

What's meant by "orthodox"? All denominations have beliefs that are orthodox to the denomination. Most denominations believe they are orthodox to what the Bible teaches.

Is "orthodox" just an awkward way of meaning existent Christian denominations that predate MLK?

The Eastern Orthodox, i.e. Greek Orthodoxy, Russian Orthodoxy etc.

The are very close to Catholicism.

The reason the forum has been RCC primarily is because I know of none on the board right now. There used to be a couple. Orthodox Christian and Orthodoxy. But they have not been around.

I had thought about it myself... Rather than "Roman Catholic and other Orthodox Faiths" I think that "Catholic & Eastern Orthodox Faiths" would be more appropriate for two reasons:

1) "Roman Catholic" is an offensive term. It would be like having a Catholic bulletin board and having a forum for protestants called "Holy Rollers and Other Christians"

2) the "and other Orthodox Faiths" implies that Eastern Orthodoxy is within the Catholic Church. While Catholics *do* feel that way, the Eastern Orthodox do not. Thus, they would be immediately offended away from posting here.

Thanks,

Michael

I don't find Roman Catholic offensive. It is an appropriate name for Latin Rite Catholics.

im with thess on that one. i dont take offense to Roman Catholic.

There's nothing offensive about the term Roman Catholic. People who use the term don't mean it offensively and there are other churches that have the word Catholic in their name, as well as the catholic church (the universal "invisible" church). Adding "Rome" removes ambiguity.

I'm sure some Roman Catholics would prefer to be called just "Catholic" iasif they're in the one true church. But, that's not going to happen.

Poke said:
There's nothing offensive about the term Roman Catholic. People who use the term don't mean it offensively and there are other churches that have the word Catholic in their name, as well as the catholic church (the universal "invisible" church). Adding "Rome" removes ambiguity.

I'm sure some Roman Catholics would prefer to be called just "Catholic" iasif they're in the one true church. But, that's not going to happen.

*** Michael - This requires a warning ****

-Michael

ZeroTX please refrain from the use of personal bashing.

*** edited by thess ****, you have no say-so in this thread.

Here are the TOS rules you could be in violation of.

#4 - Treat everyone on this board with respect. In other words, "Love your neighbor".

#5 - Respect each other's opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities.

^6 - No Bashing of other members. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

I understand that Poke asked the question. Therefore, he should read responses from those to whom the question applies.

It matters not whether Poke, a protestant, considers the term "Roman Catholic" offensive. It makes even less sense for him to respond, as it was indeed him who started the thread asking about the name of the forum.

Furthermore, the Catholic Church is made up of several Rites (or "churches") who are in full communion with the Holy See. Thus, even if "Roman Catholic" is not offensive (though, the proper term is Latin Rite Catholic or Western Rite Catholic), the term still excludes other Catholics, including Byzantine Catholics, Melkite Catholics, etc. Also, as mentioned previously (and ignored), Eastern Orthodox Christians do not consider themselves Catholic, thus having a forum called "Roman Catholics and other Orthodox Faiths" includes the Eastern Orthodox into that category, which would be quite offensive to an EO.

As such, perhaps a better name for the forum, would be simply "Catholic and Orthodox Christianity." This would cover those who use the name "Old Catholic" as well as Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic, though not in communion with the Holy See.

Summary: As currently named, some Catholics are insulted by "Roman Catholic," Eastern Rite Catholics are excluded, and Eastern Orthodox Christians are insulted.

-Michael

For the sake of political correctness, the Forum has been renamed to:

Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Faiths

I'd just like to say that in the first century, the name Christian was also derogatory, but we got over it. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back