Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What's Your Hobby?

I'm always curious as to the hobbies of others. Besides scripture studies, forum posting, and the usual family-and-friends, what are some of your leisure pass-times?

I myself seem to have more hobby interest than money but have been thinking about building a museum quality, wooden sailing ship.

Another thing that I enjoy is club slotcar racing. Have been doing this with my son for the past few years.

Also like trail riding on my mountain bike. Not the radical, technical trails, but the smooth wide ones.

What about the rest of you?

Peace

Electronics and high voltage projects.
I'm a diehard electronics home hobbyist. A rare breed these days I'm afraid.
Nobody understands me. :smt022

:-D

A couple smaller ones in the past.
I'm currently building a 10KW power center for subsequent projects.

The power center is a work still in progress. I've added quite a bit since these pics were taken last summer. I'm hoping to get the project completed, documentation and all, by spring.

Carriage and power center. The carriage was fashioned by hand using a drill press and assorted hand tools.
pcpic01.jpg

pcpic02.jpg

pcpic03.jpg

The carriage allows the center to tilt to service the motors and chain drives if necessary.
Also very handy for going up or down stairs.
pcpic06.jpg

pcpic07.jpg

The transformer from a distribution transformer placed in 1" thick acrylic and filled with clear transformer oil.
I put 240VAC in and get 14,400VAC out at about 3/4 amp.
pcpic04.jpg

Homebrew high voltage isolation transformer... goes between the power center and the pole transformer above for safey. Anything happens on the high voltage side and the high voltage can't get back to the center.
pcpic05.jpg

Currently the center is getting a new "brain".
MWAHAHAHA!!!
(Back view)
pcpic08.jpg

I've worked in engineering departments as an engineering tech, test engineer and head of quality control. But I don't have the degree necessary to hold a design engineering position.

Maybe we need a hobby of getting people interested in hobbies.
:-D

vic C. said:
[quote="A-Christian":2ea41]Well Potluck,
Maybe we are the only folks on the forum with hobbies. :-D

Are you kidding, you peop... I mean, this site is my hobby. :-D[/quote:2ea41]
Ditto.

Ever been West Destiny? You'd love southern Utah and northern Arizona. There's a LOT to see out West just about anywhere for that matter. Beautiful country but don't forget your water bottle. Take a big one.
Or two. :-D

Potluck said:
Ever been West Destiny? You'd love southern Utah and northern Arizona. There's a LOT to see out West just about anywhere for that matter. Beautiful country but don't forget your water bottle. Take a big one.
Or two. :-D
I'm sure I would love it! One of these days I hope we get to do some serious travling; I really want to go out west ...also want to see Yellowstone and the Alaskan wilderness.

Well in my spare time:

1:I study scripture
2:Work out at the gym-includes mountain biking/climbing, hiking and rafting(if possible)
3:Talk on ham radio
4:Read history and technology books.
5:Relax and have fun with friends. No cultic practices or anything.
6. listen to music and watch some good tv//movies.

I am also a graduate of Purdue Unversity in ECE. So, yeah its cool to see folks interested in electronics. I work for Lexmark right now and my speciality is radar/antenna systems.

Golf, building websites, fixing things..acting. I guess that's it.

Well, my screen name is part of my hobby :-D
http://www.youtube.com/user/68StoveBolts

Believe it or not, I've got a tad over $18,000 in this pile of stovebolts and it's still not running. This video was taken last spring and since then, I did finally get the boat finished and actually put it in Port Huron last October for her maiden run. We hope to get a lot of use out of the boat this coming summer.

As far as the car, the engine isn't even broke in yet. Actually, I've only put just under 15 gallons of gas through the tank. Shortly after this video was shot, I was doing a test run on one of our country roads and well... the weakest link broke... I was in first gear, trolling around 4500 rpm when I stabbed the gas peddle. As the Lakewood slapper bars (traction bars) hit the leaf springs, it actually bent the spring causing excessive axle wrap resulting in the my 500 hp rated U-Joint meeting mr. axle yoke and something had to give. $800 bucks later and I now have a custom set of front and rear Eaton Springs (dropped the stance the car over 2" and will achieve better performnce) along with a set of Competion Engineering Slide a Link traction bars. I just finished bolting up the new rear springs last weekend!

All I have left to do before spring is setting the pinion angle, adjusting the new traction bars, tow the car into Metro Detroit and have DST build a new driveshaft! After that, it's time to work on the body and at least get some primer sprayed down before next fall!

Looking at the engine compartment, firing it up it reminded me of the first time startups that you smell all sorts of stuff burning off the exhaust system. Not the smell of something wrong but the smell of success. :-D
And promise.
shades.gif

Love those round notes. No other sound like it.

Ohh goodness! The first time I fired it up I forgot to put the radiator cap on tight and she blew! Scared my son do death as hot antifreeze came gushing out like Old Faithfull! In the video, he yells, "Wait, not yet!", now you know why :wink: (I made sure my son was a safe distance the first time I fired it)

But yeah, it smelled up the garage pretty well the first time as all the new paint heated up the first time and the gaskets sealed etc. As an after thought, because the headers were burning my plug wires, I took the headers off and wrapped them. Man, now that stunk while that stuff burned off!

As far as the cam, I can't remember the exact specs, but she's a solid lift cam @ .540 lift on both intake and exaust. She starts to make power at about 2500 rpm and the peak doesn't drop until 6800. I've got custom length hardened pushrods w/ a set of Pro Magnum roller rockers. It sounds pretty wicked!

Back