Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Which scriptures are inspired by God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
2 Timothy 3 v 16: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

Does this mean that the original Hebrew/Greek bible was God-breathed, or what?
How 'inspired by God' was the choice of books that are included in the bible?
How 'inspired by God' is the translation into English (or any other language)?

ProphetMark said:
2 Timothy 3 v 16: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

Does this mean that the original Hebrew/Greek bible was God-breathed, or what?
Yes. Several NT characters affirm the OT as Scripture, including Jesus by often quoting it.

2 Peter 1:21 - no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:25 - who through the mouth of our father David, your servant, said by the Holy Spirit...

How 'inspired by God' was the choice of books that are included in the bible?
How 'inspired by God' is the translation into English (or any other language)?
This is really more of a question of God's sovereignty. Did God, in His sovereignty, guide the translators and those present when the canon was formed? I would say "yes". :yes

Did he affect their "free will"? If not, then that's a WHOLE lot of faith in those men. I don't see every part of it as inspired. Some parts seem completely like the words of men, and they really should be seen that way.

Orion said:
Did he affect their "free will"? If not, then that's a WHOLE lot of faith in those men. I don't see every part of it as inspired. Some parts seem completely like the words of men, and they really should be seen that way.
That depends on how you understand inspiration. They didn't go in to some trance and then snap out of it and say "whoah! what happened?" God worked through the men and he used their personalities and literary preferences to communicate His message. Now, did they know that they were writing Scripture when they were writing it?? Hmmmm....I don't know, but I do know that Peter recognized Paul's writing as inspired (2 Peter 3:16).

I simply believe God-breathed to mean the Scriptures contain God's Truth as presented by men. Especially if you are only going to consider the canonized bible.

Not to judge the book of mormon as I believe it merely to be Joseph Smith's views, but wouldn't that make it infallible as well seeing as the same logic is applied??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back