Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who decides on what is Scripture?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for comment...

Much of what God has revealed to mankind is revealed, implicitly or explicitly, in Sacred Scriptures. My question is

"Who has the authority to determine what IS sacred Scriptures?"

If individuals rely on the "revelations of the Holy Spirit", what prevents a Christian from claiming that the "Gospel of Judas" is Scriptures - according to his interpretation of what the "spirit" told him? Secondly, this "revelation is extra-biblical itself! If this mode is a means of revelation, then Scripture is NOT the sole source of Christian authority.

Since the Canon of Scriptures are not inspired by God, who has or has been given the authority to tell Christians what is Scriptures?

Thanks for your comments.

" If you should find someone who does not yet believe in the Gospel, what would you answer him when he says " I do not believe " ? Indeed I would not believe in the Gospel myself, if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so. "

Augustine of Hippo , Letter against Mani 397 AD.

francisdesales said:
Since the Canon of Scriptures are not inspired by God, who has or has been given the authority to tell Christians what is Scriptures?

It appears to me that scripture was given to the Church (ekklesia) by God… The Ekklesia pretty much had the cannon by the end of the 4th century. That is to say, the inspired Church for this reason or that had decided what was to be accepted as authentic, inspired scripture and what was not.

StoveBolts said:
francisdesales said:

It appears to me that scripture was given to the Church (ekklesia) by God… The Ekklesia pretty much had the cannon by the end of the 4th century. That is to say, the inspired Church for this reason or that had decided what was to be accepted as authentic, inspired scripture and what was not.

I agree. God worked to pass His revelation through His people, the Church.

Without an infallible authority, infallible revelation cannot be protected over time.

Regards

Total Nonsense.....the Church as we know it today has its Doctrines written by Satan.... he is the head of the organised church.

Where else is Satan going to be..... where he can mislead, cause divisions, and do the most damage, the Church is the most divided community in the World today.

He has had 2000 years to totaly screw things up and assist God in locking up all in disobedience.....I think it is awesome how Satan has not been able to get around Gods purpose for him though.

Yes indeed there is no one true Church...... the mystery of God is going to stay that way until he is prepared to reveal it, mean while the individual members of the divided and split congregations hold on to hope in their hearts because Jesus is at the centre of it all.

Our God is so far ahead of us and our way of thinking, that it is just not funny..... all Honor Power and Glory be to his name !!

matto said:
" If you should find someone who does not yet believe in the Gospel, what would you answer him when he says " I do not believe " ? Indeed I would not believe in the Gospel myself, if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so. "

Augustine of Hippo , Letter against Mani 397 AD.

So here is this legendary theological thinker, admitting that the only reason he believes the gospel is on the authority of a religious institution, an institution which, if the gospel were not true (which would be his contention apart from the Church) could claim no authority in the first place.

This example should be inserted in the dictionary of philosophical terms under the definition of "circular reasoning".

Amazing :lol:

LOL..... sorry Brad no offense intended to your post.

Can I ask did somebody already reserve the Vlad part of your online name..he he

Cheers

Spirit Driven said:
LOL..... sorry Brad no offense intended to your post.

Can I ask did somebody already reserve the Vlad part of your online name..he he

Cheers

No, I am the modern version :wink:

Spirit Driven said:
Total Nonsense.....the Church as we know it today has its Doctrines written by Satan.... he is the head of the organised church.

You say "the Church as we know it TODAY." Does this mean that you agree that the Catholic Church of nearly 2000 years ago was responsible for assembling scripture under the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

Maybe you could pinpoint the time frame that you believe the Church went wrong?

Spirit Driven said:
.....the Church as we know it today has its Doctrines written by Satan.... he is the head of the organised church.

Oh. And what did Christ say about a kingdom divided among itself? It will surely fall, no? Your accusation sounds just like the Pharisees who see a miracle and claim the devil brought it about...

Spirit Driven said:
Where else is Satan going to be..... where he can mislead, cause divisions, and do the most damage, the Church is the most divided community in the World today.

So when are you going to come BACK to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church? Don't blame the Church, blame the heretics who continue to tickle the ears of men...

Spirit Driven said:
He has had 2000 years to totaly screw things up and assist God in locking up all in disobedience.....I think it is awesome how Satan has not been able to get around Gods purpose for him though.

Certainly. Christ promised that the Gates of Hell would not prevail upon the Church that He built upon Peter.

Spirit Driven said:
Yes indeed there is no one true Church...... the mystery of God is going to stay that way until he is prepared to reveal it, mean while the individual members of the divided and split congregations hold on to hope in their hearts because Jesus is at the centre of it all.

Jesus didn't form an invisible Body that no one can know where it was to find it or learn about God's revelation. This VISIBLE Church gave us the Scriptures! God's Church is a mystery, but we DO know where we can find the fullness of it.

Spirit Driven said:
Our God is so far ahead of us and our way of thinking, that it is just not funny..... all Honor Power and Glory be to his name !!

No doubt. But what do you think about my original question, the cause of this thread? What visible authority do we have that verifies that we HAVE the Word of God???

Regards

BradtheImpaler said:
So here is this legendary theological thinker, admitting that the only reason he believes the gospel is on the authority of a religious institution, an institution which, if the gospel were not true (which would be his contention apart from the Church) could claim no authority in the first place.

The only reason we believe in ANYTHING is because we trust the messenger, Brad. Whether it is the history of Julius Caesar, whether Pluto is a planet, whether your wife loves you, and whether the Gospel is the Word of God is based on the reliability of the witness.

No circular argument here. Unseen knowledge is based on faith - and we trust in the messenger because they are deemed trustworthy based on experience. We "know" our wives love us and we know about the life of Julius Caesar based on faith...

The people of the Church trusted in the message because they SAW the fruit of the Church.

Regards

I have already locked a thread with this same question. This is spawning off another thread with regards to praying to Mary. I locked it for a reason. To come here and start the same question 'again' is trolling. Next time francisdesales, I'm just gonna give you a warning, and you'll be one step closer from leaving this site. This topic was only to cause an argument between the Church and I don't like it. As you said here

No circular argument here.

This is NOT a Catholic forum, but a Christian one. We respect the Catholic Church, and anybody of the Church.. But to say____

So when are you going to come BACK to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church? Don't blame the Church, blame the heretics who continue to tickle the ears of men...

Is tottaly uncalled for on a Christian site. Because the Catholic Church is not the "ONE" as you claim here but only an opinion. If you wanna Chat so much about your Church and gain people to the flock of your Church there is always Catholic.com and they have a forum and chat area..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back