Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Who Has The Power To Raise The Dead?

Josef

Y
Hey All,
Here is an interesting thought. Does anyone other than God have the power to give life?
We would agree that only God has this ability, correct? Therefore only God has the power to raise a person from the dead. So here is a simple question. Who raised Jesus from the dead. God, right? Well given our agreement, this should be easy to prove.

Acts 2:23-24 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

So that's it. It was easy. God raised Jesus from the dead. But wait! What's this?

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

The father raised Jesus. OK , still easy. So the Father has that power. So the Father is God. So that's it. But wait! There's more!

John 2:19-21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.

John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

What's this you say? We agreed that only God had the power to raise a person from the dead. How does Jesus as a man have God's power? Are you following me? This is not so easy.
Only God had the power to raise a person from the dead. That was our agreement.
Jesus says He can raise Himself from the dead.
So, by our agreement, Jesus is God.
The Father is God.
Jesus is God.
So now we are done.
Not so fast grasshopper. (Anybody get the old Kung Fu TV show reference.)
There's still more!

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

QUICKEN, quik'n.
1. Primarily, to make alive to vivify to revive or resuscitate, as from death or an inanimate state. Romans 4 .
(Also, of him is an identifier of "the Spirit" so we know this isn't some random spirit. This is the Spirit that dwells in us. This Holy Spirit will also raise us up from the dead. Don't get tripped up on "of him.")

John 14:16-17. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

This last reference is just for clarity. There is only one Spirit, or Ghost that is Holy. This is the same as in Romans 8, that will dwell in us, and will raise us up "from the dead."

Now you are telling me that the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, whatever you choose to call Him, the one that Jesus asked the Father to send to live with me, and be in me, the one who teaches me all things, that Spirit, who raised Jesus from the dead, and will raise us from the dead as well, right? Is that what you are saying?

YOU ARE BLOWING MY MIND!!!!

So, by our agreement, the Holy Spirit is God.

This just got way complicated.
We know the Bible doesn't lie.
For all of this to be true. we must conclude:
The Father is God.
Jesus is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
All are God because all have the power of life.
Only God has that power. So now we are done.
Oh you think this is over?
"Nothing is over until we decide it is!" (Anybody know what movie this is from?")
We have one more fact to deal with.

1 Timothy 2:5 — For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

There are at least 28 references in the Bible to there being one God. You can look them up. Let's conclude what we know, solely from Scripture.

There is only one God.
Jesus is/was a person, an individual, a man who died on the cross. (The Roman centurion made sure of it.)
Only God had the power to raise a person from the dead.
For this to be true;
The Father must be God.
Jesus must be God.
The Holy Spirit must be God.

And they must all somehow be themselves as individuals, but coequally fit into, and coequally be the One and Only God.

Given the Scripture I have set before you, how do you recile who has the Godly ability to raise a person from the dead?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

All power and authority comes from God alone as He gave Jesus (us) what to say and do as His Holy Spirit works in us and through us giving us the ability to preform action on God's word.

ABILITY means to perform action on Gods word. Ability is a possession of qualities necessary to perform the task that are asked of us. What qualifies us to be an effective servant of God is to know the power and authority given to us is for the purpose of redeeming lost souls. Gods' power and authority gives us the ability to stand against any principality that stands in our way of doing the will of God. We are Gods eyes, hands, mouth and feet here on earth as his ambassadors as we take his word out into the world.

Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.
Luke 9:2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
Luke 9:3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.
Luke 9:4 And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
Luke 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

John 2:19-21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

What's this you say? We agreed that only God had the power to raise a person from the dead. How does Jesus as a man have God's power? Are you following me? This is not so easy.
The Father is God.
Jesus is God.
So now we are done.
There's still more!

LoL. I'm under the weather, so I'd have to wait for the rest later, even though "there's more!"

But the above is good. Have you ever run this by the Jehovah's witnesses before by any chance?

Good post.

Hey All,
Unless they have changed the wording since I last checked, verse Rev 22:16 starts the same in their book (I won't call it a Bible) as a KJV. "I Jesus have sent mine angel . . . ." So they cannot refute it. In my experience they will try to get you off the subject. I know this first hand and I talked to an ex JW who goes to our church and he said it was part of their training. I was shocked to hear this training part of their church. I always taught people, and practiced honesty as the best policy. If I don't know, I say so.
I still see them in my neighborhood every so often, but they don't come to my door anymore.
Maybe they banned people from knocking on my door. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Unless they have changed the wording since I last checked, verse Rev 22:16 starts the same in their book (I won't call it a Bible) as a KJV. "I Jesus have sent mine angel . . . ." So they cannot refute it.

Cannot refute what exactly?

Hey All,
Unless they have changed the wording since I last checked, verse Rev 22:16 starts the same in their book (I won't call it a Bible) as a KJV. "I Jesus have sent mine angel . . . ." So they cannot refute it. In my experience they will try to get you off the subject. I know this first hand and I talked to an ex JW who goes to our church and he said it was part of their training. I was shocked to hear this training part of their church. I always taught people, and practiced honesty as the best policy. If I don't know, I say so.
I still see them in my neighborhood every so often, but they don't come to my door anymore.
Maybe they banned people from knocking on my door. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Not to get off topic here, but thought you might want to know that JW use the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tracts Society that was first released in 1950 with the complete works in 1961 as they deceive others by adding one single word that changes the whole meaning of one single verse.

Y
Hey All,
Here is an interesting thought. Does anyone other than God have the power to give life?
We would agree that only God has this ability, correct? Therefore only God has the power to raise a person from the dead. So here is a simple question. Who raised Jesus from the dead. God, right? Well given our agreement, this should be easy to prove.

Acts 2:23-24 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

So that's it. It was easy. God raised Jesus from the dead. But wait! What's this?

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

The father raised Jesus. OK , still easy. So the Father has that power. So the Father is God. So that's it. But wait! There's more!

The Father is God.
Jesus is God.
So now we are done.
There's still more!

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

QUICKEN, quik'n.
1. Primarily, to make alive to vivify to revive or resuscitate, as from death or an inanimate state. Romans 4 .
(Also, of him is an identifier of "the Spirit" so we know this isn't some random spirit. This is the Spirit that dwells in us. This Holy Spirit will also raise us up from the dead. Don't get tripped up on "of him.")

John 14:16-17. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

This last reference is just for clarity. There is only one Spirit, or Ghost that is Holy. This is the same as in Romans 8, that will dwell in us, and will raise us up "from the dead."

Now you are telling me that the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, whatever you choose to call Him, the one that Jesus asked the Father to send to live with me, and be in me, the one who teaches me all things, that Spirit, who raised Jesus from the dead, and will raise us from the dead as well, right? Is that what you are saying?

YOU ARE BLOWING MY MIND!!!!

So, by our agreement, the Holy Spirit is God.

This just got way complicated.
We know the Bible doesn't lie.
For all of this to be true. we must conclude:
The Father is God.
Jesus is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
All are God because all have the power of life.
Only God has that power. So now we are done.
Oh you think this is over?
"Nothing is over until we decide it is!" (Anybody know what movie this is from?")
We have one more fact to deal with.

1 Timothy 2:5 — For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

There are at least 28 references in the Bible to there being one God. You can look them up. Let's conclude what we know, solely from Scripture.

There is only one God.
Jesus is/was a person, an individual, a man who died on the cross. (The Roman centurion made sure of it.)
Only God had the power to raise a person from the dead.
For this to be true;
The Father must be God.
Jesus must be God.
The Holy Spirit must be God.

And they must all somehow be themselves as individuals, but coequally fit into, and coequally be the One and Only God.

Given the Scripture I have set before you, how do you recile who has the Godly ability to raise a person from the dead?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
God raises folks from the dead.
But He has used Peter, and Paul, to do so.

Back