Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who is the Number One?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Shema

CF Ambassador
Screenshot_20210712-192151.png
An Emoji Devotions for Mon 12th July, 2021

Topic: Who is the number one?

By H.U. Wenger

Wherever human beings are in groups together, the very question arises without anyone uttering it. It belongs to the group dynamic to somehow figure out who is top and who is bottom. The bible tells us a story of two competing groups, the shepherds of Abram and the shepherds of Lot, who tried to settle the matter in a fight, so that it developed very quickly to a matter of the chiefs.

Highlights: So Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herders and mine, for we are close relatives. (Genesis 13:8)

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:9 – 10)

The quarrel between the shepherds had a reason. There was just not enough water and food for the livestock when the large herds of the two men stayed together.

Abram quickly realized that the only solution to the problem was to create more space and that meant the two men could not dwell any longer in the same location.

If you have a quarrel in the family or marriage, look if there is enough space for everybody. Often time it gets easier to be together, when each part has the freedom to be enough with him or her.

A German Psychotherapist coined the sentence: “I can better live with you, when I am more with me.” The way the bible tells us the story, it is quite clear that Abram is the senior chief. He most likely would have had any right, to say where he wants to live and where Lot should go. He, however, invites Lot to separate from him and to choose where he wants to dwell. Lot made his choice with astute human calculation. Abram remains on the lesser land, but has made the better deal anyway.

He makes peace by taking himself back and giving Lot the honor of choice. Abram displays here the attitude of Christ according to Philippians 2:5 – 11: “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God, something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Humility and a mindset of servitude is generally a sign of true greatness in the kingdom of God.

The only way to be the number one leads over being the servant for everyone. Jesus displayed this through his whole life on earth, but especially when he was washing his disciple’s feet. (John 13:1 – 17) In this event he made clear that he expects them to follow his example. ‘When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.’ (John 13:12 – 15)

“For it is the one who is least among you all, who is the greatest.” (Luke 9:48b)

Prayer: Lord God, please help me to be a faithful servant. I long to be great as everybody does. Let me be your servant and show me how to use my gifts to serve my fellow human beings. Keep me from false pride. Amen.

Back