Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Who is the Whore of Revelation 17

S

Solo

Who is the Whore of Revelation 17?

The whore is a great city that sits upon seven hills, and this one city reigns over the kings of the earth. Is the Whore of Revelation 17, Rome or as the Catholic Encyclopedia states, Vatican City?

And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. Revelation 17:9

• Only one city has for more than 2000 years been known as the city on seven hills. That city is Rome. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "It is within the city of Rome, called the city of seven hills, that the entire area of Vatican State proper is now confined" (The Catholic Encyclopedia, Thomas Nelson, 1976, s.v. "Rome").

http://www.wayoflife.org/otimothy/tl030003.htm

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth. Revelation 17:18

• Against only one other city in history could a charge of fornication be leveled. That city is Rome, and more specifically Vatican City. She claims to have been the worldwide headquarters of Christianity since its beginning and maintains that claim to this day. Her pope enthroned in Rome claims to be the exclusive representative of God, the vicar of Christ. Rome is the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, and in that too she is unique.

Numerous churches, of course, are headquartered in cities, but only one city is the headquarters of a church. The Mormon Church, for example, is headquartered in Salt Lake City, but there is much more to Salt Lake City than the Mormon Church. No so with Vatican City. It is the heartbeat of the Roman Catholic Church and nothing else. She is a spiritual entity that could very well be accused of spiritual fornication if she did not remain true to Christ.

Yes, ambassadors of nations come to Washington D.C., to Paris, or to London, but only because the national government has its capital there. Nor does Washington, Paris, London, or any other city send ambassadors to other countries. Only Vatican City does so. Unlike any other city on earth, the Vatican is acknowledged as a sovereign state in its own right, separate and distinct from the nation of Italy surrounding it. There is no other city in history of which this has been true, and such is still the case today.

Only of the Vatican could it be said that a city reigns over the kings of the earth. The phrase "the worldwide influence of Washington" means the influence not of that city but of the United States, which has its capital there. When one speaks, however, of the influence of the Vatican around the world, that is exactly what is meant--the city and the worldwide power of Roman Catholicism and its leader the pope. Vatican City is absolutely unique.

And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. Revelation 17: 6

• To wring out confessions from these poor creatures, the Roman Catholic Church devised ingenious tortures so excruciating and barbarous that one is sickened by their recital. Church historian Bishop William Shaw Kerr writes:[list:096f1]

"The most ghastly abomination of all was the system of torture. The accounts of it cold-blooded operations make one shudder at the capacity of human beings for cruelty. And it was decreed and regulated by the popes who claim to represent Christ on earth. ...

"Careful notes were taken not only of all that was confessed by the victim, but of his shrieks, cries, lamentations, broken interjections and appeals for mercy. The most moving things in the literature of the inquisition are not the accounts of their sufferings left by the victims but the sober memoranda kept by the officers of the tribunals. We are distressed and horrified just because their is no intention to shock us" (Kerr, op. cit., pp. 239-40).

The remnants of some of the chambers of horror remain in Europe and may be visited today. They stand as memorials to the zealous outworking of Roman Catholic dogmas which remain in force today, and to a Church which claims to be infallible and to this day justifies such barbarism. They are also memorials to the astonishing accuracy of John's vision in Revelation 17. In a book published in Spain in 1909, Emelio Martinez writes:

• "To these three million victims [documented by Llorente] should be added the thousands of Jews and Moors deported from their homeland. ... In just one year, 1481, and just in Seville, the Holy Office [if inquisition] burned 2000 persons; the bones and effigies of another 2000 ... and another 16,000 were condemned to varying sentences" (Emelio Martinez, Recuerdos [Memoirs] de Antano, CLIE, 1909, pp. 105-06).

Pagans Rome made sport of throwing to the lions, burning and otherwise killing thousands of Christians and not a few Jews. Yet "Christian" Rome slaughtered many times that number of both Christians and Jews. Beside those victims of the Inquisition, there were Huguenots, Albigenses, Waldenses, and other Christians who were massacred, tortured, and burned at the stake by the hundreds of thousands simply because they refused to align themselves with the Roman Catholic Church and its corruption and heretical dogmas and practices. Out of conscience they tried to follow the teachings of Christ and the apostles independent of Rome, and for that crime they were maligned, hunted, imprisoned, tortured, and slain.

[/list:u:096f1]

1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
Revelation 17:1-18

As far as I know the Roman empire may be revived a split into ten political divisions/districts (the ten toes) in the end times. My Pastor rejects that the Pope could be associated with the Anti-Christ, as he says it is more likely to be a Jew who is the Anti-Christ, but he said perhaps the false prophet might come from the Catholic Church, but that is by no means sure, it could be some tag-along nobody, empowered by Satan to decieve the masses.

~Josh

Rev 18:23 And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

Gee, I dunno Solo. Is it the Catholic Church that has convinced us that drugs are the answer, or drugged us against our will without our knowledge or consent? According to Rev. 18 this city has deceived all nations with pharmakeia.
Personally, I choose the stripes of Jesus for healing, but I have been held down and drugged with all kinds of garbage, and it was neither a Catholic nor a Roman that done did it. It were those bad boys that be tryin to selling the stuff to your children. Don't rightly know where they be callin home these days, but I'm still reckonin that they are more badder than the Pope.

That ain't to say one of em won't never worm their way into being a Pope someday. :wink:

Revelation 17:1 "And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials [bowls], and talked with me [John], saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore [harlot] that sitteth upon many waters:

Remember, the seven seals, vials, plagues, trumpets, and thunders are all the same acts. Only a different vision of John's, giving a different profile of the same occurrence, or event. This angel is one of the seven angels that "he" [John] has seen before, and the discussion John and this angel are having is about this "one world religion" that sits, or rules over the peoples of the earth. The "great whore" is a religion, while the "waters" represents the people that follow after the whore, or religion.

This "whore" is identified as "Mystery, Babylon", as we look ahead to the 15th verse. We will also establish in our minds exactly what the "waters", or "seas", or "rivers" truly represents. These bodies of water are peoples, and nations, tongues and languages right here on earth. This harlot is not the Catholic church, or any other church now in operation, but it is a deception created by these Kenite scribes that will so change your church, or any church, to accept the one world political and religious beasts. In the end, it will be the Antichrist's religious system.

The approach the Kenites will use to draw you and your church into their system, will be through your own doctrines like the "rapture theory", or another false doctrine spun out to draw certain churches in to their deceptions. To the Roman Catholics, they will use idols, miracles, or even a statement from the pope, to make the Catholics accept. To Buddhist and the Hindus it will be something different, but all religions will be open and willing to allow themselves to enter into the Antichrist's system.

Why then is the Christian world the focus of Satan's attacks over all other religions of the world? Christianity is the only religion where it's Messiah and founder claims to be the "Son of the Living God". All other forms of religious practice are created by man for man. Any supernatural action then would automatically draw the other forms to that supernatural entity. Christianity is the only religion that is exact and absolute, Jesus said, you either come to the Father by Me, or you are not saved and have eternal life. Jesus said in John 14:6; "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by Me."

So this angel is about to tell John exactly what these terms and idioms mean.

Revelation 17:2 "With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication."

This is the answer given to John, by the angel. The "people" of the earth have become intoxicated on her [this one world religious system's] wine, which is confusion and false doctrine. They are being drawn to accept this religious system that these Kenites will devise upon the arrival of the Antichrist to earth.

Revelation 17:3 "So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns."

John was taken by this messenger in the spirit, to a time of the end. The wilderness is the same as Joel spoke of; where before the locust arrived, it was like the Garden of Eden, lush and flourishing; and behind the locust army it became a wilderness. [Joel 1:19-20] So this "wilderness" is a "time", not a place, when all truth of God's Word has dried up.

Amos 8:11 "Behold the day come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:"

When Satan comes, he comes bring peace and prosperity to everyone that buys into his system.

Amos 8:12 "And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they [the people of the earth living in their flesh bodies] shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."

So what are these people looking for? The truth of God's Word, it simply will not be found. As we see today, Christian churches are even bringing in the heathen religious forms such as TM and other forms, and trying to use them and call their methods of those eastern religious forms "of God". This "Scarlet colored beast" religious system will be out to please everyone, including you and your church. However, the churches that are of the Smyrna and Philadelphia type will not buy into that system. The other five types of churches will.

This "woman" then is a "false religion", and she sits on "the religious beast" of the one world system. Think of this religious system in today's terms as the "World Council of Churches", this old whore caters to any heathen cause coming down the line. The "Scarlet" color represents royalty, and a very high political power, and that is exactly where the World Council of Churches sits.

The "blasphemy" she is spouting out is against our Heavenly Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit of God. In Revelation 13:1, we were given the seven dominions, or continents which cover the entire earth, with it's ten rulers, or authoritative agencies. All these powers are riding under a beast, which is a world wide government. When this government started, it was in a political form following a world war. However, after the United Nations was established, then a troubling spiritual time came. The Political form of this world wide system will die, and out of it's destruction a religious order, or religion which the entire world will accept will come into being. We will be told later when this form will come into power.

Revelation 17:4 "And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:"

The "woman" is the religious order, or church system, that is riding on this beast. Again she is wearing the royal clothing, showing the strength of her power. The "gold and precious stones" that she will be wearing, show her attempt at priestly duties, which is a copy of the breast plate that one of God's priests would wear.

The "cup" is filled "with abominations", which in the Greek text are "bdelugma", and in the plural, its of "idolatry". It is unclean practices of worship. The "cup" in the communion holds the wine, that represents the blood of Christ, and it is taken to our lips. The "cup" represents the purity of Christ's blood, and the sacrifice that was shed for our sins. So the "cup" of this world system calling itself a church will be filled with all sorts of heathen impurities. Those abominations includes filthy practices, such as sodomy, abortion and other unclean things being accepted. This religious "woman" form will rule over all the peoples of the world that will listen to her deceptions.

The "Mother of Babylon" is the head of all confusion, and deception

http://www.theseason.org/revelation/revelation17.htm

The "whore" of Rev 17 is the religious spirit which has been behind all 4 major world ruling empires.

Daniels vision of 4 beasts arising from the sea describes the rise of the Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Greco-Macedonian and Roman empires which were to arise out of the "sea" of humanity.

The actual Hebrew describes not 4 separate beasts arising out of the sea, but one beast metamorphosing into 4 different-looking beasts. Babylon morphs into Medo-Persia etc. Its the same people, different look.

Likewise, examining the religions of these 4 empires, these morphed or changed a bit, but it was the same spirit driving them all. Its very easy to see how Zeus became Jupiter, the native Roman Goddess Ceres was assimilated with the Greek Goddess Demeter etc.

Thus, one religious spirit has been the driving force behind the religions from Babylon to today. The religious spirit has ridden the Beasts or world-ruling-empires. I am talking about a literal, demon spirit, which is called the "little-horn" "the false-prophet" etc. This spirit may at times posses a human, and may at the end speak through a human, but this spirit has lived for thousands of years and is responsible for religious deception.

Solo said:

The whore is a great city that sits upon seven hills, and this one city reigns over the kings of the earth. Is the Whore of Revelation 17, Rome or as the Catholic Encyclopedia states, Vatican City?

And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. Revelation 17:9

• Only one city has for more than 2000 years been known as the city on seven hills. That city is Rome. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "It is within the city of Rome, called the city of seven hills, that the entire area of Vatican State proper is now confined" (The Catholic Encyclopedia, Thomas Nelson, 1976, s.v. "Rome").

And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth. Revelation 17:18

• Against only one other city in history could a charge of fornication be leveled. That city is Rome, and more specifically Vatican City. She claims to have been the worldwide headquarters of Christianity since its beginning and maintains that claim to this day. Her pope enthroned in Rome claims to be the exclusive representative of God, the vicar of Christ. Rome is the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, and in that too she is unique.

Numerous churches, of course, are headquartered in cities, but only one city is the headquarters of a church. The Mormon Church, for example, is headquartered in Salt Lake City, but there is much more to Salt Lake City than the Mormon Church. No so with Vatican City. It is the heartbeat of the Roman Catholic Church and nothing else. She is a spiritual entity that could very well be accused of spiritual fornication if she did not remain true to Christ.

Yes, ambassadors of nations come to Washington D.C., to Paris, or to London, but only because the national government has its capital there. Nor does Washington, Paris, London, or any other city send ambassadors to other countries. Only Vatican City does so. Unlike any other city on earth, the Vatican is acknowledged as a sovereign state in its own right, separate and distinct from the nation of Italy surrounding it. There is no other city in history of which this has been true, and such is still the case today.

Only of the Vatican could it be said that a city reigns over the kings of the earth. The phrase "the worldwide influence of Washington" means the influence not of that city but of the United States, which has its capital there. When one speaks, however, of the influence of the Vatican around the world, that is exactly what is meant--the city and the worldwide power of Roman Catholicism and its leader the pope. Vatican City is absolutely unique.

And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. Revelation 17: 6

• To wring out confessions from these poor creatures, the Roman Catholic Church devised ingenious tortures so excruciating and barbarous that one is sickened by their recital. Church historian Bishop William Shaw Kerr writes:[list:043ed]

"The most ghastly abomination of all was the system of torture. The accounts of it cold-blooded operations make one shudder at the capacity of human beings for cruelty. And it was decreed and regulated by the popes who claim to represent Christ on earth. ...

"Careful notes were taken not only of all that was confessed by the victim, but of his shrieks, cries, lamentations, broken interjections and appeals for mercy. The most moving things in the literature of the inquisition are not the accounts of their sufferings left by the victims but the sober memoranda kept by the officers of the tribunals. We are distressed and horrified just because their is no intention to shock us" (Kerr, op. cit., pp. 239-40).

The remnants of some of the chambers of horror remain in Europe and may be visited today. They stand as memorials to the zealous outworking of Roman Catholic dogmas which remain in force today, and to a Church which claims to be infallible and to this day justifies such barbarism. They are also memorials to the astonishing accuracy of John's vision in Revelation 17. In a book published in Spain in 1909, Emelio Martinez writes:

• "To these three million victims [documented by Llorente] should be added the thousands of Jews and Moors deported from their homeland. ... In just one year, 1481, and just in Seville, the Holy Office [if inquisition] burned 2000 persons; the bones and effigies of another 2000 ... and another 16,000 were condemned to varying sentences" (Emelio Martinez, Recuerdos [Memoirs] de Antano, CLIE, 1909, pp. 105-06).

Pagans Rome made sport of throwing to the lions, burning and otherwise killing thousands of Christians and not a few Jews. Yet "Christian" Rome slaughtered many times that number of both Christians and Jews. Beside those victims of the Inquisition, there were Huguenots, Albigenses, Waldenses, and other Christians who were massacred, tortured, and burned at the stake by the hundreds of thousands simply because they refused to align themselves with the Roman Catholic Church and its corruption and heretical dogmas and practices. Out of conscience they tried to follow the teachings of Christ and the apostles independent of Rome, and for that crime they were maligned, hunted, imprisoned, tortured, and slain.

[/list:u:043ed]

1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
Revelation 17:1-18

From the text, the city appears to be Babylon (Baghdad). Personally, since the sons of Ishmael and their false prophet, Mohammed, play such a huge role in the world, I can't see how Babylon can not be the city that talked about in Revelaiton.

I think you're on the right track with Rome, but I'm wondering if you've gone far enough? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that the city of Rome is symbolic for the old Roman empire. Today that would be the EU.

God has big plans for the EU. How do I know that? Well, for one thing one of its headquarters in Strasbourg, France is modeled after the Tower of Babel. I kid you not.

In front of the other headquarters in Brussels, Belgium is a statue of a woman riding a beast. This is Europa riding a bull. She is a queen.

Here's the big picture:

1. Israel destroys Damascus with nuclear weapons. This will be happening in the next couple of years. So pay attention. Amos 1 and Isaiah 17
2. America gets destroyed in retaliation. Isaiah 18
3. The EU leads the world.
4. Iran and its allies destroy the EU.

I post regular news articles each day on http://www.1913intel.com showing how the world is slowly positioning itself for war. Primarily it will be against America, but if you pay attention then you can see the seeds of another war starting to grow right now. This is where the whore gets burned.

Sorry, but I disagree: you have missed it by about 1426 miles.

Will the antichrist and false prophet deceive people about who is proper to worship?

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him.....
Rev 13:12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast whose deadly wound was healed.

We can see that the beast and false prophet will lead the entire world into false worship. The false prophet will undoubtedly claim to be the Messiah, or the Christ, and will perform wonders that will deceive the world. John shows is this figurtively here:

Rev 17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

This "fornication" is the worship due to God as the creator, but given to the beast and false prophet and satan.

Where will the antichrist and false prophet be located, as they lead the world into false worship?

Of course, none other than the holy city, Jerusalem. That will be His headquarters - until it is destroyed. We see a hint of this here:

2 Thes 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Where is that "temple of God?" Of course, it will be in Jerusalem, "that great city." Therefore, God calls Jerusalem, "the great whore Babylon." John spells it out, so that none should miss it:

Rev 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

What does John tell us that "great city" is?

Revelation 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

There should be no doubt. John is telling us that it is Jerusalem that will lead the world in the worst false worship this world has ever seen.

Some will be screaming about now: "What about the 7 mountains?"

Ok, where is the woman sitting?

1...I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

3...I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast...

9...The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. And there are seven kings...;

The woman then, is seated or is sitting on "many waters," on a "scarlet beast" and on "seven heads or mountians." We also see:

15And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

We could then add this to the list of where the woman is sitting: she is sitting on "many waters," on a "scarlet beast" and on "seven heads or mountians," and "peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues."

What does all this tell you? It is very simple. The beast is ruling the world, since God gave him world wide authority ("power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations). he is ruling from Jerusalem. However, the beast is linked to only seven kingdoms of the world, as shown by the seven heads or seven mountains with seven kings. This is speaking of seven kingdoms, each with a king. Undoubtedly, some of them will be Iraq, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and other Muslim nations. It is these seven that the great whore is said to be sitting on.

The beast rises to power with Arab nations, and then the world becomes scared of him, and so the whole world lets him do his thing. But when the midpoint comes, and the false prophet comes, the whole world is deceived - that is all but those who have their names written in the book!

So no, it is not "Rome." Far, far from it. The beast rules from Jerusalem.

Coop

I believe the location of the anti-christ will be in Iraq, where this false religious system started in Gen. at the tower of Babel. The word Babylon has represented both a city and the religious system that arose in that city. Babylon is a literal geographical location on the Euphrates River.

May God bless, Golfjack

golfjack said:
I believe the location of the anti-christ will be in Iraq, where this false religious system started in Gen. at the tower of Babel. The word Babylon has represented both a city and the religious system that arose in that city. Babylon is a literal geographical location on the Euphrates River.

May God bless, Golfjack

My question would be "when?" Daniel tells us where he will be at one point during the 70th week:

Dan 11:45 And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him.

Then Paul tells us that he will walk into the temple and declare that he is God. At that time, he will be in Jerusalem.

Coop

Reply with quoteReport this post Who is the Whore of Revelation 17
by Solo on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:00 pm

MY COMMENTS: The first rule of exegesis is study the whole context. Read all of chapts. 17 & 18 of Rev.
It is true the angel uses some metaphors when explaining to John the secret of the woman sitting on the beast.

We are told she is Babylon, the city: not New York, not London, not Rome, but Babylon. I take this as literal because it contrasts with Jerusalem.

To me, since the seven heads are said to be seven kings, I understand the "mountain" to be a metaphor for "kingdom". There are some scriptures that bring this out:

Psa 48:1 "Great is the Lord, and most worthy of praise, in the city of our God, his holy mountain."
Isa. 2:2 "In the last days the mountain of the Lord's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills and all nations will stream to it."
Jer. 51:24, 25 "Before your eves I will repay Babylon and all who live in Babylonia for all the wrong they have done in Zion", declares the Lord." I am against you, O destroying mountain, you who destroy the whole earth," declares the Lord."

The angel also said the city was in the desert.

I believe the meaning is that Babylon will be elevated or maintained by the seven kingdoms, headed by the seven heads (kings), all empowered by the anti-christ.

I would just like to throw a spanner into the works. Revelation is a prophetic book and the majority of it is metaphorical-speak.

The term Babylon derives from the term Babel - which means confusion. Whoever the whore is, she is sitting in the city of seven hills (Rome) and confusing people.

Anyway, that is my take.

Rad.

Back