Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Why Did God Want The Israelites to Attack Jericho?

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
I'm currently in the book of Joshua and I'm trying to understand all of this, but I'm having a little bit of difficulty doing so. :/

It was over the conquest of Canaan in whom the Canaanites occupied the land and were enemies of God. When Joshua crossed over the Jordon River into the Israel, Jericho was a city in Canaan being part of Israel and had to be overcome as being part of the promised land God gave to the Israelites.

It was over the conquest of Canaan in whom the Canaanites occupied the land and were enemies of God. When Joshua crossed over the Jordon River into the Israel, Jericho was a city in Canaan being part of Israel and had to be overcome as being part of the promised land God gave to the Israelites.

Oh okay, so in a nutshell they were enemies of God. Gotcha! :yes (I figured that you would know the answer to this question and I nearly tagged you on it lol since you pretty much almost know all and see all. :lol)

Oh okay, so in a nutshell they were enemies of God. Gotcha! :yes (I figured that you would know the answer to this question and I nearly tagged you on it lol since you pretty much almost know all and see all. :lol)

There is so much I do not know and I love to be challenged by questions I have no answers for that makes me go digging for the answers. That's why I love this forum so much as others help me to dig deeper in the word to see things I never knew before as there is so much to learn. I might not be able to give an answer right away, but by golly I will find it.

Jericho was a border/gateway city to the Land God had promised to Israel.
They sounded their trumpets and marched around it for a few days...

It would have been suicide to attack the city with the walls intact.

The Jordan River was uncrossable when at flood stage.

So...first they did the impossible of crossing the river.
Then the impossible happened of the unasailable walls of the city fell.

Jericho was never supposed to be destroyed...but it did.

There remains very much land (sin) yet to be possessed. We can't coexist with sin.

We aren't what we ought to be. We aren't what we're going to be. We aren't what we want to be. But, thank God, we aren't what we were.

Now Joshua was old, advanced in years. And the Lord said to him: “You are old, advanced in years, and there remains very much land yet to be possessed...Joshua 13:1-12 NKJV

Nevertheless the children of Israel did not drive out the Geshurites or the Maachathites, but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day (Gal. 5:19-21). Joshua 13:13 NKJV

But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell. (the works of the flesh must go, or else we will find that they will cause us tremendous problems [2 Cor. 6:14-18; 7:1]). 56 Moreover it shall come to pass, that I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them. (sin in the Believer, if left unaddressed, can be condoned by the Lord no more than sin in the unbeliever - even less). Numbers 33:55-56

God's prescribed order of victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil is to place your Faith exclusively in who Jesus is, and what Jesus has done. By doing so this glorifies Christ that gives the Holy Spirit the legal means to drive out the enemy. The Holy Spirit, He Works strictly within the parameters of the "Finished Work" i.e., "the Cross of Christ", which demands that our Faith be exclusively in the Cross of Christ. The reason is simple, that's were the price was paid, and the victory was forever won (Romans 6:1-14; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 5; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15). The Holy Spirit is the sanctifier for the Christian; we cannot sanctify ourselves.

And the LORD thy God will put out those nations before thee by little and little: thou mayest not consume them at once, lest the beasts of the field increase upon thee (Deuteronomy 7:22). The beasts of the field represent pride and self righteousness.

We learn from Deuteronomy 7:21-23, Exodus 23:30 (Type and Shadow), little by little will He remove the sin nature that is made dormant in our lives. Isaiah 28:10 says, "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

How does a Believer maintain Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross? By just believing in Jesus (who He is) and what He accomplished at Calvary Cross. Romans 4:5 - Galatians 2:19-21 NKJV - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 NKJV - Colossians 2:11-15 NKJV

Romans 8:13 says, "If you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live." Paul warns the Believer, he said, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, (the) sin (nature) revived, and I died (failed God by sinning, using the flesh) (Romans 7:9)." Zechariah 4:6

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent).

As a Christian we were "set free" the moment we are saved - "made free" speaks of a process. "Set Free," i.e., instantaneous - "Made Free, " i.e., You should know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, John 14:6). "Made Free" = sanctification.

Two kinds of peace
1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing. Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15

2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart. Rom. 8:6; 14:19; 15:13; Gal. 1:3

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.

There remains very much land (sin) yet to be possessed. We can't coexist with sin.

We aren't what we ought to be. We aren't what we're going to be. We aren't what we want to be. But, thank God, we aren't what we were.

Now Joshua was old, advanced in years. And the Lord said to him: “You are old, advanced in years, and there remains very much land yet to be possessed...Joshua 13:1-12 NKJV

Nevertheless the children of Israel did not drive out the Geshurites or the Maachathites, but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day (Gal. 5:19-21). Joshua 13:13 NKJV

But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell. (the works of the flesh must go, or else we will find that they will cause us tremendous problems [2 Cor. 6:14-18; 7:1]). 56 Moreover it shall come to pass, that I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them. (sin in the Believer, if left unaddressed, can be condoned by the Lord no more than sin in the unbeliever - even less). Numbers 33:55-56

God's prescribed order of victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil is to place your Faith exclusively in who Jesus is, and what Jesus has done. By doing so this glorifies Christ that gives the Holy Spirit the legal means to drive out the enemy. The Holy Spirit, He Works strictly within the parameters of the "Finished Work" i.e., "the Cross of Christ", which demands that our Faith be exclusively in the Cross of Christ. The reason is simple, that's were the price was paid, and the victory was forever won (Romans 6:1-14; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 5; Gal. 6:14; Eph. 2:13-18; Col. 2:14-15). The Holy Spirit is the sanctifier for the Christian; we cannot sanctify ourselves.

And the LORD thy God will put out those nations before thee by little and little: thou mayest not consume them at once, lest the beasts of the field increase upon thee (Deuteronomy 7:22). The beasts of the field represent pride and self righteousness.

We learn from Deuteronomy 7:21-23, Exodus 23:30 (Type and Shadow), little by little will He remove the sin nature that is made dormant in our lives. Isaiah 28:10 says, "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

How does a Believer maintain Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross? By just believing in Jesus (who He is) and what He accomplished at Calvary Cross. Romans 4:5 - Galatians 2:19-21 NKJV - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 NKJV - Colossians 2:11-15 NKJV

Romans 8:13 says, "If you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live." Paul warns the Believer, he said, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, (the) sin (nature) revived, and I died (failed God by sinning, using the flesh) (Romans 7:9)." Zechariah 4:6

The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit mortifies the deed of the flesh by changing my condition into my position which is perfect and Holy because God has declared us justified (not guilt and innocent).

As a Christian we were "set free" the moment we are saved - "made free" speaks of a process. "Set Free," i.e., instantaneous - "Made Free, " i.e., You should know the truth and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, John 14:6). "Made Free" = sanctification.

Two kinds of peace
1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing. Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15

2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart. Rom. 8:6; 14:19; 15:13; Gal. 1:3

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.
Your Word for Today

“now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the LORD said unto him, You are old and stricken in years, and there remains yet very much land to be possessed (Josh. 13:1).

Joshua was now about 100 years old.

The first seven, and perhaps the first twelve, Verses of this Chapter are the very words of Him Who said, “In My Father’s House are many mansions.” He here pointed out to His People the “very much land” that He had prepared for them. He desired to make them understand and know all that He had given them. He had a Perfect Plan for them, as He has for His Own today. There was nothing uncertain in His arrangements, but, on the contrary, everything was orderly and well defined.

The fact that these Verses are the very words of the Lord Jesus Christ makes them especially precious to the Christian, while, to the ordinary reader, they are uninteresting. The sad word, “nevertheless” (13:13), expresses man’s response to the exceeding Great and Precious Promises of the preceding Verses. Such is also the sad condition of most Believers presently. All spiritual blessings are ours in the Heavenlies in Christ, but how few of these are really possessed and enjoyed!

There is a difference between the Gifts of God and receiving and enjoying those Gifts; and, accordingly, how many enemies remain unsubdued in the hearts of Believers.

Please allow me to state that which we have stated again and again:

All that the Lord has for us can never be realized unless we make the Cross of Christ the Object of our Faith. If we try to possess these “Promises” by carnal means, it cannot be done!

As we have repeatedly said, the Holy Spirit Alone can make real to us the victories already won by Jesus Christ, and He ever does so by the Cross and our Faith in that
Finished Work (I Cor. 1:18).”

—Donnie Swaggart (taken from the “Word for Every Day”)
Donnie Swaggart

Okay, I just finished reading the end of Joshua (or rather truthfully skimming it since a lot of it confuses me) and there's still so much that I don't understand. :/ Were the people of Jericho the disloyal ones? If so, how and why? What were they doing to make God jealous? :confused

Okay, I just finished reading the end of Joshua (or rather truthfully skimming it since a lot of it confuses me) and there's still so much that I don't understand. :/ Were the people of Jericho the disloyal ones? If so, how and why? What were they doing to make God jealous? :confused
Joshua is a good book...it tells a great story. But it's translated into English from "High Formal Hebrew". So English translation doesn't do it justice. Nor is it readily understandable for normal people.

Jericho was in the "Holy Land" and as such only a Holy People could occupy the place. (Israelites)

Back