Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Why Have You Forsaken Me? –Netchaplain

netchaplain

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me" (Mat 27:46; Mar 15:34)?

Did the Father momentarily forsake Christ on the Cross or was it just Christ, in His humanity, feeling forsaken by Him? I believe Christ, in His humanity, felt forsaken by the Father, much like in His humanity, Christ momentarily desired to avoid the “cup†which He was required to endure (Mat 26:39, 42).

Just as Christ recovered from desiring to avoid the “cup†by saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done†(Mat 26:42), He also realized the necessity of the Cross by saying, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit†(Luke 23:46), which is indicative that the Father was still with Him. Let’s also not forget that Christ was still the Word of God while He was on earth, which means He was and is omnipresent, in heaven and earth simultaneously. “No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven†(John 3:13 NKJV, KJV). Also, when considering this passage, “And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone . . . .†(John 8:29), one can safely conclude that Their union is always permanent. I’ve heard it said that the Father would not look at Christ at this time because all the sin in the world was on Him. I still fail to locate Scriptural support for this thought but I have found conflicting Scripture:
“The eyes of the LORD [are] in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good†(Pro 15:3).

To me, the significance of this issue reveals the desires of Christ and the Father to relate to us, to the degree that Christ became as one of us, in human form and nature. “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin†(Hbr 4:15).

The importance of place in these “earthen vessels†is to cause us to always depend on God and not ourselves, for all things at all times. “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us†(2Cr 4:7). “And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2Cr 12:9).
“Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts†(Zec 4:6).

It has been well said that “His Blood procures pardon for our sin and His Cross procures power over our sin (the indwelling old man or nature).â€

Ultimately, this teaches us to depend, not on our works, but on His atonement (Rom 5:11) and propitiation (Rom 3:25; 1Jo 2:2, 4:10).

Jesus is quoting the victory Psalm of David.

ASV

Psalms 22:1-3 <<For the Chief Musician; set to aAijaleth hash-Shahar. A Psalm of David.>> My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou answerest not; And in the night season, and am not silent. But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Psalms 22:4-7 Our fathers trusted in thee: They trusted, and thou didst deliver them. They cried unto thee, and were delivered: They trusted in thee, and were not put to shame. But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

Psalms 22:8-10 Commit thyself unto Jehovah; Let him deliver him: Let him rescue him, seeing he delighteth in him. But thou art he that took me out of the womb; Thou didst make me trust when I was upon my mother's breasts. I was cast upon thee from the womb; Thou art my God since my mother bare me.

Psalms 22:11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; For there is none to help.

Psalms 22:12-13 Many bulls have compassed me; Strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. They gape upon me with their mouth, As a ravening and a roaring lion.

Psalms 22:14-21 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint: My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd; And my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; And thou hast brought me into the dust of death. For dogs have compassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. I may count all my bones; They look and stare upon me. They part my garments among them, And upon my vesture do they cast lots. But be not thou far off, O Jehovah: O thou my succor, haste thee to help me. Deliver my soul from the sword, My darling from the power of the dog. Save me from the lion's mouth; Yea, from the horns of the wild-oxen thou hast answered me.

Psalms 22:22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: In the midst of the assembly will I praise thee.

Psalms 22:23-27 Ye that fear Jehovah, praise him; All ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; And stand in awe of him, all ye the seed of Israel. For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Neither hath he hid his face from him; But when he cried unto him, he heard. Of thee cometh my praise in the great assembly: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. The meek shall eat and be satisfied; They shall praise Jehovah that seek after him: Let your heart live for ever. All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn unto Jehovah; And all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

Psalms 22:28 For the kingdom is Jehovah's; And he is the ruler over the nations.

Psalms 22:29-31 All the fat ones of the earth shall eat and worship: All they that go down to the dust shall bow before him, Even he that cannot keep his soul alive. A seed shall serve him; It shall be told of the Lord unto the next generation. They shall come and shall declare his righteousness Unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done it.

The psalm (22) records...Eli Eli lama azavthani! (My God My God why have you forsaken Me)

Jesus rather says..Eli Eli lama sabachthani (My God My God why have you entangled Me)

There is more to this statement than a mere repetition of the psalm. Jesus is alluding to the sacrifice promised to Abraham. God Himself will see to the sacrifice (Of His own Son). The ram was caught in the thicket (sebach)...the verb to entangle in Hebrew is SABACH...So Jesus is claiming to be that ram in the thicket...or at least He is alluding to that ram. Any wonder why Jesus was crowned with thorns...the thorns of a thicket that entangles Him.

The psalm (22) records...Eli Eli lama azavthani! (My God My God why have you forsaken Me)

Jesus rather says..Eli Eli lama sabachthani (My God My God why have you entangled Me)

There is more to this statement than a mere repetition of the psalm. Jesus is alluding to the sacrifice promised to Abraham. God Himself will see to the sacrifice (Of His own Son). The ram was caught in the thicket (sebach)...the verb to entangle in Hebrew is SABACH...So Jesus is claiming to be that ram in the thicket...or at least He is alluding to that ram. Any wonder why Jesus was crowned with thorns...the thorns of a thicket that entangles Him.

Hello Brother! Good to hear from you! :wave

I like what I'm reading from you and yes, I do see scripture pointing back to Isaac on Mt. Moriah.

From Strongs (and yes, I do understand the huge limitation of strongs) I do see the Hebrew word Sabach in Genesis 22:13 and it indeed shows to entwine.

I can hear the similarity between the Hebrew word Sabach (entwine / entangle) and the Aramaic word sabachthani, (leave alone / distress) but I don't see a link between the two words as you've stated above.

Again, I fully understand the limitations and the bias from Strongs. Can you share your resources? This is very exciting!

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me" (Mat 27:46; Mar 15:34)?

Did the Father momentarily forsake Christ on the Cross or was it just Christ, in His humanity, feeling forsaken by Him? I believe Christ, in His humanity, felt forsaken by the Father, much like in His humanity, Christ momentarily desired to avoid the “cup†which He was required to endure (Mat 26:39, 42).

Just as Christ recovered from desiring to avoid the “cup†by saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done†(Mat 26:42), He also realized the necessity of the Cross by saying, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit†(Luke 23:46), which is indicative that the Father was still with Him. Let’s also not forget that Christ was still the Word of God while He was on earth, which means He was and is omnipresent, in heaven and earth simultaneously. “No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven†(John 3:13 NKJV, KJV). Also, when considering this passage, “And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone . . . .†(John 8:29), one can safely conclude that Their union is always permanent. I’ve heard it said that the Father would not look at Christ at this time because all the sin in the world was on Him. I still fail to locate Scriptural support for this thought but I have found conflicting Scripture:
“The eyes of the LORD [are] in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good†(Pro 15:3).

To me, the significance of this issue reveals the desires of Christ and the Father to relate to us, to the degree that Christ became as one of us, in human form and nature. “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin†(Hbr 4:15).

The importance of place in these “earthen vessels†is to cause us to always depend on God and not ourselves, for all things at all times. “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us†(2Cr 4:7). “And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2Cr 12:9).
“Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts†(Zec 4:6).

It has been well said that “His Blood procures pardon for our sin and His Cross procures power over our sin (the indwelling old man or nature).â€

Ultimately, this teaches us to depend, not on our works, but on His atonement (Rom 5:11) and propitiation (Rom 3:25; 1Jo 2:2, 4:10).

Hi, I find that Christ as the second Adam had to go to his death in Loving MATURE PRINCIPLED OBEDIENCE FAITH. This was to be Christ as man in his OBEDIENT FAITH alone. (no excitement or noise of emotion)

In Dan. 3 I find the same example for us to have developed through Christ. (Phil. 4:13)

[12] There are certain Jews whom thou hast set over the affairs of the province of Babylon, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego; these men, O king, have not regarded thee: they serve not thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
[13] Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. Then they brought these men before the king.
[14] Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
[15] Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?

[16] Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
[17] If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

[18] But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

--Elijah

Hello Brother! Good to hear from you! :wave

I like what I'm reading from you and yes, I do see scripture pointing back to Isaac on Mt. Moriah.

From Strongs (and yes, I do understand the huge limitation of strongs) I do see the Hebrew word Sabach in Genesis 22:13 and it indeed shows to entwine.

I can hear the similarity between the Hebrew word Sabach (entwine / entangle) and the Aramaic word sabachthani, (leave alone / distress) but I don't see a link between the two words as you've stated above.

Again, I fully understand the limitations and the bias from Strongs. Can you share your resources? This is very exciting!
Greetings! :wave

If we look at the words..Eli Eli lama...this is Hebrew and not Aramaic...so we must go with the sabachthani and the root sabach (to entangle). If you look at a modern Hebrew dictionary you will see the exact thing! :)

If the passage was Aramaic it would sound more like this...Alahi Alahi lemanah ...definitely different from the wording in the gospels.

Source? Heard it from a lady who heard it from a converted rabbi in New York! I then checked out a Hebrew dictionary looking for a verb meaning entangle...and voila! I was convinced of the veracity of this claim.

I believe it is there to speak to Hebrew speakers and help them to see God's design in the gospel.

Peace brother!!!!

Nice illustration:thumbsup

I pretty much agree with most of your post. I do not see Christ allowed in the Second Adam PLAN to be omnipresent until He sent the Holy Spirit back after His acceptence of Jehovah God, and then to uplift Himself worldwide by the Holy Spirit. (to testify of Christ & not the Holy Spirit Himself) Adam's sin as I see it had his domain forfieted to satan. Matt. 4:9-10 has no arguement from Christ stated there.

--Elijah

Greetings! :wave

If we look at the words..Eli Eli lama...this is Hebrew and not Aramaic...so we must go with the sabachthani and the root sabach (to entangle). If you look at a modern Hebrew dictionary you will see the exact thing! :)

If the passage was Aramaic it would sound more like this...Alahi Alahi lemanah ...definitely different from the wording in the gospels.

Source? Heard it from a lady who heard it from a converted rabbi in New York! I then checked out a Hebrew dictionary looking for a verb meaning entangle...and voila! I was convinced of the veracity of this claim.

I believe it is there to speak to Hebrew speakers and help them to see God's design in the gospel.

Peace brother!!!!

Now this is what I call a gem! Absolutely beautiful!

My attention was kindly drawn to this thread. Today at a meeting I heard someone speak on: 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?' which makes for a moving meditation.

I love that verse which says:

"None of the ransomed ever knew how deep were the waters crossed,
Nor how dark was the night that the Lord passed through, 'ere He found His sheep that were lost."

Re: Why Have You Forsaken Me? A View Of GOD!

A View Of GOD!

Have you ever tried to think through, to see in your mind who God is. This can be a very difficult job. John 1:1 tells us if we look to the original meaning of the ideas behind the words of the verses.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
In the beginning= In the origin of the concept of God. Not just of man or even creation we are talking about God. In eternity past of God…
WAS= eternally exist, the eternal self existent, I exist,
The Word= Relational thought of wisdom to maturity as Truth, the essence of God.

and the Word was with God= The Relational thought of wisdom to maturity as Truth was the advantage (or Facing ) God.
the Word was God.= it says, “και θεος ην ο λογος†and God is the word, (Word meaning, Relational thought of wisdom to maturity as Truth .)

Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
ουτος ην εν αρχη προς τον θεον
This existed in the origin to the advantage of the God.

Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

We are still discussing God. This is to say or prove that the “Wordâ€, (the description of God from above) is the God that created the world.

Joh 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
εν αυτω ζωη ην
in him life exist and the life force of truth and love were made manifest to men.

Here the evangelist is saying the eternal God and Jesus united in nature are the
truth made known to man.

Joh 1:5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it not.
The Light= The eternal God and Jesus
Shines = are made manifest to the
The Darkness= obscurity / ignorance of spiritual things
and the darkness did not comprehend it = ignorance did not understand it.

Joh 1:6 There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Joh 1:7 He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.
Joh 1:8 He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.

Joh 1:9 There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.
There was God and Jesus made known to the world to give truth to every person.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
HE= the God of eternity was in the world
The God that created to world
And the world did not know Him.

Joh 1:11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
He came to His own= all mankind

Joh 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
Joh 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

And the Word= the same as 1-5 above the Eternal Spirit Essence God Relational thought of wisdom to maturity as Truth.

became flesh, and dwelt among us= was born of God the Holy Spirit and Mary this is the union of the Eternal God and man two in one God and man totally.

There is so much error written on this subject it is real hard to know where to go. There is and eternally has been only one God, we come close to sounding like three very often, But, the Persons or identity or offices or activities of the Eternal Sprit Essence God, must be seen as one God. This is important because it was this God that became united in Jesus Christ Totally God and Totally man.

Verse 14 is the first reference to the “man†Jesus before that the reference has been to the Word, that is to GOD. God is from eternity. Jesus was born, yes he had no earthly father, God was his father and Mary his mother, but, he was born, lived, and died.

The error here is in WHO ARE WE TALKING ABOUT? GOD or the Man Jesus? The writers in the early Church went to great extremes to prove what they had already made up their minds to. The man Jesus had to be ETERNAL and the bible does not say that. God is eternal God is manifest in three ways, works, offices, and that became said as PERSONS. There is ONE GOD Eternal Holy Spirit Essence, There are some that come very near three Gods separating the office to the point of three persons then going back and saying one substance. There is GOD the FATHER as creator law giver head of Israel. There is The Christ, Messiah, SON, and the same God in a different relationship to us. There is the comforter, Spiritual power, guide, God the HOLY SPIRIT, but always one GOD. The “Word†of John is God the Son. What ever you call Him God, work, relation, Person, He is God. So He is Creator, Judge, King, before the beginning He Is God.

Jesus was born of God and Mary. He did not have Human male genes these came from God making Jesus the son of God. In Jesus there were Two natures one of GOD, Eternal Holy Spirit Essence, the other of man, totally man in every way as we are. The People and heresies and some Church leaders have run the two together and not recognized the Humanity if Jesus and the Deity of Christ as two natures in one. Jesus was born, wrapped in baby clothes and placed in a manger, grew up a carpenter’s son, lived among men as a man, Taught, and died, was buried, rose again and was rewarded in heaven as the first fruits of men. Why would GOD say “All power is given to me in heaven and on earth?†God had this power always. The reward for the Man Jesus was to be made Judge of nations King of Kings Lord of Lords. There are times when Christ spoke as God, there are times when Jesus spoke as a man, (in the Garden,) there are times when both speak as savior, God cannot change, separate, or DIE, When Jesus on the Cross said “MY GOD MY GOD why have you forsaken me.†The God “Nature†turned His back on Sin. For the first time Jesus “the man Nature†was both alone and (He who had been with God, Holy and pure) bore all the sins of mankind. The Man died on the cross and with His Precious blood paid the sin debt in full. He died and was in the grave 3 days, He Is Risen and on the right hand of GOD as Judge, His blood paid my debt. The Judge sees me as innocent.

Well, other than the usual things mentioned on this subject, it seems to me what could have possibly included in the Lord’s statement is, what Abel’s blood cried out unto his Creator and Judge who recently showed respect to Abel and his offering. Could it have been "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me", considering that, Abel was the first human to experience death (at least of the flesh). The first person to experience death, experienced it at the hand of his brother. I mean, Jesus also experience the Cross at the hand of the Israelis and Gentiles, and is the First to be resurrected.

Greetings DPmartin and God's blessings to you! Thanks for your input and good meeting you!

I'm not sure I completely understand you comment but it's interesting.

Greetings DPmartin and God's blessings to you! Thanks for your input and good meeting you!

I'm not sure I completely understand you comment but it's interesting.

netchaplain
Thanks for the reply, may the Lord always be with you and yours.

I realize it’s off the beaten path on this subject, but the dispute over whether the Father turned His back on His own Son or not, is another one of those feudal arguments among Christians.

We are sinners, and the Father doesn’t turn His back on us, why would He turn His back on His Beloved Son?

So to me, anyways, there’s more to the statement of my God my God why have you forsaken me?

The statement alone is interesting that the Lord would have even said it. Almost every, if not every time, Jesus refers to "God", He refers to Him as Father. In this statement, He doesn’t. And "Eli" is referring to God as "Creator and Judge". And we know Jesus was not created but is of God. Also, more often then not, Jesus was always referring to the "Son of man" when He spoke of what the "Son of man" would have to experience. Don’t hold me to it, but I believe that "my God my God why have you forsaken me?" is what the "Son of man" experienced. Not what the Son of God, or better said the Word of God experienced. I mean what is it that the Word of God, the Lord doesn’t know?

Again, the first person to be removed from the world, Abel, his blood:

Gen:4:10: And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

(Also the blood of Christ was poured out onto the ground. )

11: And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;

(Also the Lord made sure that it is known that He heard the blood of Abel cry out unto Him.)

It is also interesting that Abel is the first to offer a lamb, of which anyone else in following generations would want to commune or respectfully address the Lord God would offer the lamb. And was established by the Lord God ever scene Abel unto the Lord Jesus Christ

Scripture doesn’t say what Abel’s blood cried. Or maybe it does, and maybe Jesus did say. Scripture does say what the relationship was between Abel and the Lord:

Gen:4:4: And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

Also note that Abel is a son of man.

Mt:27:46: And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Note that this is the next to the last thing Jesus says on the Cross. The last I do believe is :

Lk:23:46: And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

If the Father had turned His back on His Beloved Son, then why would His Beloved Son even had said this? These are not the words of someone abandoned.

Jn:20:17: Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Hence, the Son of God and Son of man are one, that we may be as He is.

I’m sure there’s more on this, but I hope the jest of it is clear.

Hi DPMartin,

.02, but the way I understand the blood of Able, is that it was a cry for justice, and thus brought about a curse.

The Blood of Christ frees us from that curse, and brings us life.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the OP. Thanks for reading!

Hi DPMartin,

.02, but the way I understand the blood of Able, is that it was a cry for justice, and thus brought about a curse.

The Blood of Christ frees us from that curse, and brings us life.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the OP. Thanks for reading!

StoveBolts
Thanks for the reply

As you say not to derail or detract from the OP. It seems that though Righteousness is of God, and Judgement is of God, and Mercy is of God, justice is something that is given to men to do. So justice comes and is done, through the Son of man, our Lord Jesus Christ. I mean when Jesus was on the Cross, was He seeking justice for himself, or Mercy for all? And we know Jesus did not receive justice on the Cross, or did He?

Again we were not there and the scripture doesn’t really say, that I know of, what Abel’s cry was. Was Abel seeking justice for himself, or Mercy for himself, or something else? It’s a curious thing that the Lord didn’t destroy Cain on the spot, I mean what was the point of not only letting Cain live, but protecting Cain with a mark so that all would fear what would befall them if they sot justice for Abel, by killing Cain? (This might be a worthy subject for another thread)

(Nice ride, by the way. Is that a 67 SS)

Back