Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why I choose Jesus over Buddha

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

Soma-Sight

Here are two stories illustrating the difference between the Buddha and Jesus.

BUDDHA STORY

Kisagotami and her dead child

Kisa Gotami lived in Savatthi. She was known as Kisa Gotami because of her slim body. She married a rich young man and a son was born to them. The son died when he was a toddler and Kisa Gotami was stricken with grief. Carrying her dead son, she went everywhere asking for medicine to restore her son to life. People thought she had gone mad. But a wise man seeing her pathetic condition, decided to send her to the Buddha.

He advised her: "Sister, the Buddha is the person you should approach. He has the medicine you want. Go to him."

Thus she went to the Buddha and asked him to give her the medicine that would restore her dead son to life. The Buddha told her to get some mustard seeds from a home where there had been no death. Overjoyed at the prospect of having her son restored to life, Kisa Gotami ran from house to house, begging for some mustard seeds. Everyone was willing to help but she could not find a single home where death had not occurred. The people were only too willing to part with their mustard seeds, but they could not claim to have not lost a dear one in death. As the day dragged on, she realised hers was not the only family that had faced death and that there were more people dead than living. As soon as she realised this, her attitude towards her dead son changed; she was no longer attached to the dead body of her son and she realised how simply the Buddha had taught her a most important lesson: that everything that is born must eventually die.

She buried her dead son and told the Buddha that she could find no family where death had not occurred. Then the Buddha said: "Gotami, you should not think that you are the only one who has lost a son. As you have now realised, death comes to all beings. Before their desires are satiated death takes them away."

THE BUDDHA HAD NO POWER OVER DEATH!

JESUS STORY

Luke 8

49While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master.

50But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

51And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden.

52And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.

53And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.

54And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.

55And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.

56And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

JESUS CHRIST HAS REAL POWER OVER DEATH!

But which incident is more likely to have actually happened? Besides, I think the Buddha story is clever and does contain a worthwhile real-life lesson. If you go through life expecting everyone you know to be brought back to life like the girl in the Jesus story you're in for a disappointment.

I think Brad its making a good point. Jesus is not going to come down and stop every parent from losing a child, which renders Buddha's advice noteworthy. Personally I do believe that Jesus did work miracles and was a healer, however this in itself does not seem to be a reason to elevate him above the Buddha (Jesus was one of many healers in his time). To set up these two stories in opposition to one another is misleading because both stories are told with very different intentions in mind.

Yet the two religions do have a fundamental difference. Buddha was concerned with a practical path to liberation; freeing one's mind from its self imposed bondage. He observed reality and formed his philosophies according to the manner in which the world operates. Thus Buddhism is a pragmatic religion, concerned with practice and not belief.

Christianity, on the otherhand, does not accept what we experience in this world to be the ultimate intention of God. Thus, suffering and death are alien to the original divine plan. Christianity looks to an alternate version of reality, the "Eden" blueprint, if you will, and thus is in tension with the way that the world currently operates. It is not concerned with this life, but with attainment of the lost ideal; heaven.

Essentially, to me, Jesus and Buddha were preaching a very similar thing from different perspectives, which I won't go into here. But if we are to compare Christianity (as practiced by the traditional outlook) and Buddhism, then the differences are irreconcilible.

Lastly to say that THE BUDDHA HAD NO POWER OVER DEATH depends on one's point of view. If one was to ask if Buddha had the ability to alter the transitory nature of reality, which neccesitates death (being yet another change), then the answer would be no.

Ultimately, the power to raise someone from the dead is moot, it becomes only an extension of a life that will inevitably come to end anyways. Buddha would of had no need for such a power, the consistency of change is a certainty.

Buddha did, however, have complete power over death. To rule death one must also rule life, for the two can not be separated. Like a raft that moves with the waves of the ocean, so did the Buddha offer no resistance to the flux and flow of life. Living in each and every moment free from the negative perspectives that trap one in suffering, Buddha excercised complete mastery over existence. Living in nirvana he had achieved the eternal and thus death had no effect upon him, it was not a cause of fear nor apprehension. This is why we speak of the historical Buddha, Siddhartha, and the Eternal Buddha.

sparrow said:
The account recorded in the Bible.

Yeah, :roll: and if you came from a different culture you'd be naming a different book.

Buddhism is a false religion and Christianity is the one true belief. There are those that agree, and those that do not. Jesus is alive, Buddha is dead.

Excellent contrast Soma-Sight! Don't let the nay-sayers here put a damper on the joy that we should feel over Jesus' conquering power over death. And not only does he have power over physical death but also can save us from eternal spiritual death. Because of that power, Jesus can instead give us spiritual LIFE, having paid the price for sins which would otherwise bring spiritual death. This is worth rejoicing over!

God Bless,

Josh

Buddha did, however, have complete power over death. To rule death one must also rule life, for the two can not be separated. Like a raft that moves with the waves of the ocean, so did the Buddha offer no resistance to the flux and flow of life. Living in each and every moment free from the negative perspectives that trap one in suffering, Buddha excercised complete mastery over existence. Living in nirvana he had achieved the eternal and thus death had no effect upon him, it was not a cause of fear nor apprehension. This is why we speak of the historical Buddha, Siddhartha, and the Eternal Buddha.

And someone who has the insigna of YHWH as their avatar believes this?

Looking to the Buddha, I certainly see that he was a profound and insightful person who had attained a very refined quality of inner freedom and stillness that we do not see in most people today. Personally, I can not afford to ignore his teachings.

Yahweh means "he who is" , or "He who causes to become", a name that has very deep implications. Being that which is, was, and shall be, being "being" itself, extending infinitely in each and every direction, finding itself expressed and manifest in existence itself as existence itself...Yahweh comes to mean a consciousness-life force, a ground of being, the eternity from which the infinite stems.

Thus this name has tremendous importance for my spiritual practice and in no way conflicts with my understanding of Buddhist teachings.

Looking to the Buddha, I certainly see that he was a profound and insightful person who had attained a very refined quality of inner freedom and stillness that we do not see in most people today. Personally, I can not afford to ignore his teachings.

Yahweh means "he who is" , or "He who causes to become", a name that has very deep implications. Being that which is, was, and shall be, being "being" itself, extending infinitely in each and every direction, finding itself expressed and manifest in existence itself as existence itself...Yahweh comes to mean a consciousness-life force, a ground of being, the eternity from which the infinite stems.

Thus this name has tremendous importance for my spiritual practice and in no way conflicts with my understanding of Buddhist teachings.

You know I've met a neo-Gnostic online before that talked like you do. She believed in all that spiritual "life force" junk too. And not too surprisingly I later found out that she was a "medium for spirits" (a.k.a. demons). That's all I needed for confirmation of where her ideas came from.

And I'm starting to have similar thoughts about what you are falling prey to. Don't let spiritism decieve you. The Gospel's message is very simple, to not turn away from it and be carried away with diverse doctrines.

Remember, YHWH is One, "The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! " (Deuteronomy 6:4) And Buddah is not YHWH and has no part with him.

Label me what you must. If in your eyes I am indeed "lost", then know that I intend to stay that way.

Remember, YHWH is One, "The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! "

I've never denied this. YHWH is "He who is"....the Supreme Unity

And Buddah is not YHWH and has no part with him.

Well I would certainly differ in some respects, I suppose you'll be happy to know that I do not worship the Buddha...

Solo said:
Buddhism is a false religion and Christianity is the one true belief. There are those that agree, and those that do not. Jesus is alive, Buddha is dead.

Everyone thinks their belief is the true one. What else is new?

BradtheImpaler said:
Everyone thinks their belief is the true one. What else is new?
Nothing new. Some are right, some are wrong. Some believe, some do not. Some have eternal life, Some do not.

I am merely stating that the fruits of Christ as reported by eye witnesses are superior to the philisophical notions of the Buddha.

Jesus rose people from the dead.....

Buddha just told people to deal with it....

Jesus claims to be the Son of God....

Buddha was human like the rest of us....

Christ told us to Believe in Him and His works for eternal life.....

Buddha told us to "seek salvation on your own".....

Look it up you will see for yourself that Buddha made no claims of power over death or even to a guaranteed salvation.....

Lets compare some more..... Just the different worldview.
(I put the two in quotes because I liked the looks of how it sectioned them off)

Buddhism

The four noble truths:

1. Life means suffering.

There are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness. Life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

The origin of suffering is attachment to transient things and the ignorance thereof. Transient things do not only include the physical objects that surround us, but also ideas, and -in a greater sense- all objects of our perception. Objects of attachment also include the idea of a "self" which is a delusion, because there is no abiding self. What we call "self" is just an imagined entity, and we are merely a part of the ceaseless becoming of the universe.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

Nirvana. The third noble truth expresses the idea that suffering can be ended by attaining dispassion; being unemotional or emotionally uninvolved. Gives freedom from all worries, troubles, complexes, fabrications and ideas.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering is....

the gradual path of self-improvement, which is described more detailed in the Eightfold Path. It is the middle way.

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

Versus....

Christianity:

One Truth: YHWH, Elohim, Adonai, Yeshua, the Word, the living Bread.

"I am the way and the truth and the life." John 14:6

Life is a gift from God, meant to be enjoyed.

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything. Ephesians 5:19

The origin of suffering is our sin. Our sin is disobediance to God's will.

To the woman he said,
"I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
with pain you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you."

To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it
all the days of your life. Genesis 3:16-17

The path to the end of suffering is Jesus. Its done. Believe, and be saved.

I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." John 6-47-51

Take your pick ;)

Honestly, your overly simplistic comparisons are far too riddled with falacies to really consider anything thats been said. Buddhism is certainly not a religion for every type of person, it largely depends on one's individual needs, however I am convinced that one can learn much from Buddhism without having to be Buddhist.

Until we can approach these religions with a little more effort towards objectivity there is no point in discussing this further.

Those that have arrived at the truth, have no time to waste on false religious teachings; and those that study these pseudo beliefs should spend more time seeking the truth.

Thanks Solo, as usual your insights have been a radiant display of intellectual investigation and careful consideration.

AHIMSA said:
Honestly, your overly simplistic comparisons are far too riddled with falacies to really consider anything thats been said. Buddhism is certainly not a religion for every type of person, it largely depends on one's individual needs, however I am convinced that one can learn much from Buddhism without having to be Buddhist.

Until we can approach these religions with a little more effort towards objectivity there is no point in discussing this further.

Me? That particular information on Buddhism is from a Buddhist website.

And sure, we can learn much from Buddhism without being a Buddhist. I think its interesting how people address the problem of suffering without the concept of sin.

Back