Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Why Is It So Important To Keep The Sabbath Day Holy?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
Saturday 7-6-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Sivan 29 5785 17th. Summer Day

To Love and praise the LORD through prayer, worship, and studying His words. To honor the day He set aside from creation, thank Him for our strength and endurance, and the six days of our livelihood.

Observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants. It will bring us closer to the Lord and to our family. It will give us an eternal perspective and spiritual strength. The Sabbath also allows us to rest from our physical labors and worship the Lord.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Saturday 7-6-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Sivan 29 5785 17th. Summer Day

To Love and praise the LORD through prayer, worship, and studying His words. To honor the day He set aside from creation, thank Him for our strength and endurance, and the six days of our livelihood.

Observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants. It will bring us closer to the Lord and to our family. It will give us an eternal perspective and spiritual strength. The Sabbath also allows us to rest from our physical labors and worship the Lord.

Love, Walter And Debbie

I think many of would like to have some clarification on what it means to “keep the Sabbath holy” in the New Testament.

I’m sure we all want to follow the teachings of Christ and obey Him.

The problem is we have mostly heard about the Sabbath as the law of Moses required but we haven’t really seen any New Testament teachings where Jesus or Paul have taught the Church how to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant.

I have seen where Paul, seeking to see his Jewish brethren converted, would go to a synagogue on the Sabbath because that’s when and where his Jewish brethren would be together in one place.

Paul wisely used this opportunity to preached Christ from the scriptures in hopes of seeing his brethren turn to Christ.

This of course is not how we “keep the Sabbath” but rather how Paul, a Jew would seek to teach and preach Christ to his countrymen, something a Gentile wasn’t capable of doing because Gentiles aren’t permitted to teach in a Synagogue.

JLB

I think many of would like to have some clarification on what it means to “keep the Sabbath holy” in the New Testament.
We know what God says about His commandments, but do we obey what He 1st. said from the beginning on the seventh day? instead, why go with a new idea?

Love, Walter

We know what God says about His commandments, but do we obey what He 1st. said from the beginning on the seventh day? instead, why go with a new idea?

Love, Walter

Because under the New Covenant as opposed to the law of Moses, we don’t sacrifice animals, travel to Jerusalem every year for Passover, put to death those caught in adultery.

Under the law of Moses, even if a man picked us sticks to make a fire to cook, he was stoned to death.

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
Then the LORD said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the LORD commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.
Numbers 15:32-36

So yes, there needs to be som clarity and how we observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant.

Paul says this -

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:13-17

I think if someone were to come forth with some realistic guidelines about what we can and can not do on the Sabbath it we be beneficial to all.

When does the Sabbath officially begin?

Friday at 6:00 PM?
Saturday Morning at 12:00 AM

When does it officially end?

How far can we travel?

What is considered work?

Are there allowances for emergencies?

These are just some basic questions and the list could grow exponentially as some answers come forth.

JLB

Because under the New Covenant as opposed to the law of Moses, we don’t sacrifice animals, travel to Jerusalem every year for Passover, put to death those caught in adultery.

Under the law of Moses, even if a man picked us sticks to make a fire to cook, he was stoned to death.

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
Then the LORD said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the LORD commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.
Numbers 15:32-36

So yes, there needs to be som clarity and how we observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant.

Paul says this -

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:13-17

I think if someone were to come forth with some realistic guidelines about what we can and can not do on the Sabbath it we be beneficial to all.

How far can we travel?

What is considered work?

These are just some basic questions and the list could grow exponentially as some answers come forth.

JLB
Yes JLB we understand what you are saying but still we as Christians should obey His commandments, and the new covenant is that He says I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts, just as we are supposed to wait on Him as He has promised. Hebrews 8:7-13 KJV

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Sundown on the sixth day.
Sundown on the seventh day.
How far can we travel?
The Scriptures say to not even go out. Although, it figures that since Jesus and others traveled to the Synagogue, attending worship services would be permitted travel, but only that.
What is considered work?
All forms of laborious activities. Cooking and lighting a fire are even prohibited.
See the example of those who chose death over war on the Sabbath in Maccabees 1. Although, the survivors eventually chose to fight.

JLB
I wonder if running electricity is considered work. Air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration are some things that would be difficult to do without.

The Scriptures say to not even go out. Although, it figures that since Jesus and others traveled to the Synagogue, attending worship services would be permitted travel, but only that.

Ok.

Please use Scripture from the New Testament.

All forms of laborious activities. Cooking and lighting a fire are even prohibited.

7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.
And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.” John 5:7-10

Can you please provide New Testament scripture for these claims you are making?
After the death of Jesus, as it was Preparation Day (the day before the Sabbath), those who buried the Lord did so before evening came, the start of the Sabbath. All four Gospels mention the timing of the burial. Luke 23:54-56 is an example.

After the death of Jesus, as it was Preparation Day (the day before the Sabbath), those who buried the Lord did so before evening came, the start of the Sabbath. All four Gospels mention the timing of the burial. Luke 23:54-56 is an example.

I asked you ... Sundown in Israel or Sundown in Texas?

You replied -

It's local to wherever one is.

I asked you to provide New Testament scripture that it's local wherever one is.

We know people observed the Sabbath in Israel during the first century.

We also know Paul taught us that the Sabbath were shadows of things to come, and that one person observes a specific day and another does not observe specific days.

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. Romans 14:5-6

Maybe some passages where Paul gave specific instructions to the Gentile Churches as to how to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant.

Paul gave instructions about sin, specific instructions.

• Do you consider it a sin, not to observe the Sabbath the way you do?

I was asking that those who practice "observe the Sabbath" to share with us some New Testament scriptures as to what rules we are to abide by, such as...

How far can we travel?

What is considered work?

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back