Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Why learning the original languages would be beneficial....

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cyberjosh

We oft have a dispute here and there over proper Bible translation and no one agrees on which one is best, but really if we want to be educated enough to know for sure a good translation of the Word of God should we not desire to learn at least some of the original languages (Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic)? Back in the 1800s any Bible theologian, scholar, or preacher who went through seminary at an Ivy League school was required to be well versed in Greek in order to be able to preach properly to the people. The reformation and the many other revivals peppered around it were all started by preachers and theologians who translated the Scriptures from the original languages to the common people's language. Some would do this live, by mouth, in the Church (like Thomas Linacre), instead of writing it down, and put it into the common vernacular for each to understand in front of large crowds of people who were eager to hear the Word of God in their own language.

It would be very beneficial if we could read the original languages to become more educated to God's word, and it would put to silence many disagreements between Bible versions since we would know what the better readings would be.

As an accompanying analogy I would like to present a sort of riddle/question to you to see what your response would be. The analogy is not perfect but if you understood the premise of my arguement above you should know the more clever answer:

You enter a large room which is completely empty except for a scale sitting in the middle of the room with two items on it. On one end of the scale is a block of silver, on the other is a block of gold. They are of equal weight and the scale is balanced. You are presented with the opportunity of picking up only one item in the room. What do you pick up?

Once some people respond I will continue.

I agree 100%. It would be great if we all could learn the Greek and Aramaic that the original text were written in. (I think the NT scrolls were in Greek...I think).

I unfortunatly don't think it's always realistic. There would still be "disbute" over the context of certain words, or the application expressed in verses.

I agree 100%. It would be great if we all could learn the Greek and Aramaic that the original text were written in. (I think the NT scrolls were in Greek...I think).

Yeah NT was in Greek, and the majority of the OT in Hebrew with select books (like Daniel) having Aramaic.

I unfortunatly don't think it's always realistic. There would still be "disbute" over the context of certain words, or the application expressed in verses.

True, to some extent there would always be dispitutes but at the very least we would be closer to understanding its meaning because English doesn't always cut it. I've seen several times where two different Greek or Hebrew words are translated into the same english word in the same verse. Thus there may be two type's of words refering to "love" (for example) but the nuances are missed and it can obscure the point of a verse. Greek also has a verb tense that English does not have (nor any other language I know of). There is active tense (voice) - something performing an action on something else, passive tense (voice) - action being recieved by something else, but then there is the unique middle voice which signifies action by something reflected back upon the doer (thus active & passive). An example would be washing something. Active voice for washing would signify you washing something (floor, dishes, etc.), passive would be you being washed off by something or someone, but you if you were washing yourself off that would be the middle voice. Now in most Bible translations they cannot carry this nuance into English properly and make it just active tense, but something is lost in the process.

An example is 2 Thessalonians 2:13 which says, "But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth."

That word chose is in middle voice and would probably mean that God chose us for himself or unto himself. One person who caught this gave their own personal rendering of, "because God has (HEILATO) taken for Himself you all, firstfruits into salvation in purity of the spirit and belief of the truth." The same person also gives an alternate rendering with more of a meaning of "making up my mind for myself", meaning God chose (of) himself (made up his own mind ahead of time) those for salvation. But either rendering is lost in translation and if the first interpretation is correct it would actually be much more rich to consider God choosing us for or unto Himself. My Bible commentary picks up on this detail.

P.S. Would you mind taking a shot at my riddle/analogy/question?

cybershark5886 said:
P.S. Would you mind taking a shot at my riddle/analogy/question?

You enter a large room which is completely empty except for a scale sitting in the middle of the room with two items on it. On one end of the scale is a block of silver, on the other is a block of gold. They are of equal weight and the scale is balanced. You are presented with the opportunity of picking up only one item in the room. What do you pick up?

With the way the market is, I think i'd take the gold. :lol: :wink:

If I were to answer honestly though, I think I would pick up the scale. At least, that is what first came to mind...

If I were to answer honestly though, I think I would pick up the scale. At least, that is what first came to mind...

Very good, that's the answer I was looking for. The point of the analogy being to go to the root which upholds the other translations, and then you get the better value.

..to bring this back from the dead....

I think it is beneficial to know the original languages. And I'm always amazed to hear the beauty of a single word of the ancients and how english, quite frankly sucks.

(I didnt get this from a scholarly work so I hope its right :-D )
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE MEEK?

A. An understanding of the root definition of meek in the original language and how it was used will help us in understanding what Jesus meant.

1. Greek word praus

a. Used to describe a soothing medicine.
b. Used by sailors to describe a gentle breeze.
c. Used by farmers to describe a broken colt.

2. What do all these definitions have in common? They all describe great power under control.

that is unbelievable that is an awesome word!!!

I would like to learn some word meanings. If in the future I have more time and interest to really study to learn the language I do see a great benefit of that.

I would consider looking to the Church Fathers to be more(dare I say) beneficial, and also if there had to a choice between one or the other. (the perfect situation would be both)

But looking to them I believe they had a better command of the language and all idioms and the like, since they were not very far removed from it's regular use. And I also think looking to them to get at the vastness of what the text is really conveying... but you're right knowing the languge could help build upon the richness of the ECF's

that's my two cents

Blessings

Thank you Biblecatholic! That's pretty neat about "meekness", I hadn't read that before. Truely the riches of God can be revealed through proper study and appreciation of His Word, as led by the Spirit.

God Bless,

~Josh

I agree 100%. I should love to study the original languages then you can judge for yourself. I am told that the King James version comes as close as it gets. I have had a look at different versions of a particular passage and it is scary how they vary.

I would be really interested in hearing preachers that I know to have studied the original language and give an account in modern language. My concern is that the modern day versions are getting further and further away in the gusie of being "upto date".

God bless
Julia

Yes, I certainly agree, Josh. It is true one doesn't get the nuances as to active, passive or middle voice, yet even with good concordances and lexicons, one can get close to the original intent.

For instance, in the typical English version, the word "for", as in "Christ died for us", is usually interpretated as meaning "in our place" or "in our room and stead". Yet, with the use of a good concordance, it can be seen that the correct meaning should be "Christ died on our behalf", for the Greek word "huper" meaning "in behalf of" (Young's Concordance) is used.

The word in Greek meaning "over against" or "instead of" is "anti."

Study of Koine Greek, and Hebrew is a demanding task.

I think knowing the biblical languages is certainly important, but it comes with some possible dangers. While it can certainly reap dividends, it can also be a problem. The good part is that reading the NT in Koine Greek, or the OT in Hebrew will force the reader to slow down and recognize the grammar of a sentence.

I have seen some negative effects of the biblical languages, especially kione greek. For those unskilled in reading the scriptures the greatest tendency is to atomize the text. Meaning is drawn from a phrase, or word, or with Kione Greek maybe even the tense or mood of some verb (the ending of a word). As people focus on the smaller and smaller parts of the scripture, they miss the bigger picture (the context).

There are certainly advantages, but there are some dangers.

Concerning the riddle------> I would pick up the scale (assuming that both silver bars and gold bars remain on the scales). Or is that cheating?

Your points and concerns are well noted, and well placed.

Concerning the riddle------> I would pick up the scale (assuming that both silver bars and gold bars remain on the scales). Or is that cheating?

Nope that's the best answer. :)

"You have chosen wisely" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back