Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Wikipedia

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JM

Did you notice that anyone can edit files on Wikipedia? It's important for people to understand this fact, Wikipedia is often quoted, the information "may not" be correct.

I wonder if I made an edit to the page, adding whatever I liked and posted a link, would it still be considered a "reputable source?"

I hit the edit button to see what would happen and it gave me full access to the file.

I wonder if I made an edit to the page, adding whatever I liked and posted a link, would it still be considered a "reputable source?"

I hit the edit button to see what would happen and it gave me full access to the file.

Someone would soon notice an unregistered user had edited the page and would check to see precisely what your edits were. If they are unverifiable, as I think they likely would be in your case, they would be removed. Repeated offenses would get you banned.

You demonstrate a gross ignorance of the process of academic peer review.

JM said:
Did you notice that anyone can edit files on Wikipedia? It's important for people to understand this fact, Wikipedia is often quoted, the information "may not" be correct.

Some articles have been locked. Democrats have been accused of tampering with political issues. JW's have been tampering with stuff about Jesus.

If I had time, I would look up their policy but other issues have seemed quite accurate though I'm sure there is room for abuse.

Novum said:

Someone would soon notice an unregistered user had edited the page and would check to see precisely what your edits were. If they are unverifiable, as I think they likely would be in your case, they would be removed. Repeated offenses would get you banned.

Could you be bias Nov? What is it you refer to?

JM said:
Could you be bias Nov? What is it you refer to?

This:

JM said:
I wonder if I made an edit to the page, adding whatever I liked and posted a link

That's called vandalism on Wikipedia. You're just destroying the work of others, and it clearly goes against the spirit of the community they're trying to establish over there. It'd be no different than going into the Louvre with a can of spray paint and having your way with the Mona Lisa. Why bother doing it?

Wikipedia Becomes Hotbed of Political Dirty Tricks

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193634,00.html

Ulanoff: How Dangerous Is Wikipedia?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181234,00.html

Encyclopedia Britannica: Wikipedia Comparison Just Wrong

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189064,00.html

Poster Admits Wikipedia Bio Hoax

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,178415,00.html

Wikipedia Tightens Entry-Submission Rules

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177740,00.html

"Wikipedia visitors will still be able to edit content already posted without registering. It takes 15 to 20 seconds to create an account on the Web site, and an e-mail address is not required."

I think that quote takes the cake.

Wikitruth

http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

New to the Wikitruth? Unsure where to begin, how to truly enjoy this site and all its myriad features?
Wikitruth is a website dedicated to the subject of flaws and issues with the Wikipedia, another website run by Jimbo Wales and a massive, insane army of Wikipedians that he controls with his mind rays. It's very hard to really explain Wikipedia, but if you visit it, it says it wants to be "the free encylopedia that anyone can edit". Instead, however, it is often filled with crazy people, experiences some issues with manipulative personalities, and falls prey to abuse and censorship. And that's a real shame.

And I suppose all of this just goes to show the futility of man.

How many references to things like wikidpedia do we see these days, and even in 'christian' forums, proclaiming the truth and virtues of this or that - all based on the definitions that he has concocted in order to justify himself before others and to appease his own sense of well being.

This looks like a "General Discussion" topic and for that reason it is being moved there.

Sothenes said:
"Wikipedia visitors will still be able to edit content already posted without registering. It takes 15 to 20 seconds to create an account on the Web site, and an e-mail address is not required."

I think that quote takes the cake.

The freely editable aspect of Wikipedia is both its greatest strength and its deepest flaw.

Unfortunately, it appears that people like you seem to only desire to contribute to the latter, leaving the former for others.

The times I have used wikipedia, it has been to find an easy source from info I already know. I have quoted out of wikipedia things I have read in my old college biology book. They may try to debate the source, but in a case such as wikipedia, where there is a great chance the information is correct, then they should debate the information.

A couple studies have shown that Wikipedia is, on balance, about as accurate as "real" encyclopedias. The fact that anyone can edit anything is a sticking point, but it generally takes only a matter of minutes for someone to notice the change and set it back. I've read thousands of Wiki pages, and I've never actually noticed any misinformation.

Its biggest strength is in technology matters, because the internet is the only form of media that's really up to the task of keeping up with the fast pace of advances. It's also good for uncontroversial matters of science, because it tends to be far more exhaustive on a subject than a traditional encyclopedia.

On contraversial matters, it tends to fall prey to the idea that both sides should be presented with equal weight, even if one side is disputed by 99% of people. It tries a little too hard to be fair and balanced on these issues.

It's still considered poor form to use a Wiki article as a formal cite for a paper, but as a general resource for, say, people in an internet debate, it's pretty solid. It's at least reliable enough that if someone posts something to demonstrate a point, it's pretty flimsy to simply say, "Oh, that's just Wikipedia, I'll ignore it" without at least posting a counter-cite.

I found the following correct:

The situation takes on a different complexion in Mahayana and Tantric Buddhism. Here one encounters the notion of the Buddhas as kinds of cosmic wizards or magicians, as the creators of, and rulers over, “Buddha fields†(Buddha Paradises – whole world systems of spiritual exaltation and instruction). Although there are countless Buddhas, their essence is one - that of "Tathata" ("suchness" or "that-ness") - , and it is in this sense that the Buddha proclaims himself as "Tathagata" and exalts himself in theistic terms beyond all other "gods" when he declares:

"I am the god above the gods, superior to all the gods; no god is like me - how could there be a higher?" (Lalitavistara Sutra).

The Tantric text, The Sarva-Tathagata-Tattva-Samgraha, eulogises the supreme Buddha Vairocana in the following theistic paeons:

“He is universal Goodness, beneficial, destroyer [of suffering], the great Lord of Happiness, sky womb, Great Luminosity … the great All-perceiving Lord … He is without beginning or end … [He is] Vishnu [God] … Protector of the world, the sky, the earth … The elements, the good benefactor of beings, All things … the Blessed Rest, Eternal … The Self of all the Buddhas … Pre-eminent over all, and master of the world.â€Â

For example, the Japanese buddha Amida of the Pure Land school of Buddhism is a popular choice of deity. Adherents of this system believe that a certain chant of faith intoned daily will result in devotees of Amida at death entering Jodo (the Pure Land), a beautiful paradise peopled by angels and lesser buddhas singing next to lakes of ambrosia and sweet, sweet flowers. The awesome beauty of this heavenly paradise is beyond description and the souls of the dead may remain there as long as they wish until they are ready to reincarnate again.

Thanks for the link Nov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

ArtGuy said:
A couple studies have shown that Wikipedia is, on balance, about as accurate as "real" encyclopedias.

Hey ArtGuy, could you post a few links to these studies, thanks.

Back