Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Work/Rest

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Corn Pop

6 days should work / labour and rest on the 7.

It seems backwards because people are self serving 6 days a week and serve God 1 day a week at church.

I think the scripture means people are supposed to serve God 6 days and everyone has a rest on the 7th with God.

Last edited:

It seems backwards because people are self serving 6 days a week and serve God 1 day a week at church.

I think the scripture means people are supposed to serve God 6 days and everyone has a rest on the 7th with God.
Well, this sounds rather lofty. The point of the law was that if we don’t work (or someone works) we don’t eat. But man needs one day a week where he isn’t earning his living.This is a very practical requirement. It was also a way to protect servants so that they too had a day to rest the body. It wasn’t applicable to relationships, just labor. One didn’t take a rest from the spouse or children or friends.

Well, this sounds rather lofty. The point of the law was that if we don’t work (or someone works) we don’t eat. But man needs one day a week where he isn’t earning his living.This is a very practical requirement. It was also a way to protect servants so that they too had a day to rest the body. It wasn’t applicable to relationships, just labor. One didn’t take a rest from the spouse or children or friends.

I mean still working but serving God by living righteous and being a light to the world and going to church and everything 6 days and 7th is rest day.

Like some Christians serve God everyday and try live righteous in everything they do and then go to church on Sunday so they not really having a rest day but call it rest day.

So that would mean there is no rest day at all because you serve God 7 days so why is Sunday acknowledged as rest day and a day of service and worship?

Worshipping God just means serving God.

I mean still working but serving God by living righteous and being a light to the world and going to church and everything 6 days and 7th is rest day.

Like some Christians serve God everyday and try live righteous in everything they do and then go to church on Sunday so they not really having a rest day but call it rest day.

So that would mean there is no rest day at all because you serve God 7 days so why is Sunday acknowledged as rest day and a day of service and worship?

Worshipping God just means serving God.
The rest is resting from manual or otherwise labor required so have the material means to live. That’s it. Six days shall you work. Relationships, including that with God, aren’t a matter one “rests from.”

In scripture God said to serve 6 days and rest on the 7th. The same word when he said let them go so they can serve him.

Im just trying to figure out the context.

The same root word is used for "working" 6 days that is , to serve, and letting his people go so they can "serve God" that is, to serve.

How can serving 6 days a week in manual labour and serving God be the same thing and same root word if they mean different services?

Last edited:
In scripture God said to serve 6 days and rest on the 7th. The same word when he said let them go so they can serve him.

Im just trying to figure out the context.

The same root word is used for "working" 6 days that is , to serve, and letting his people go so they can "serve God" that is, to serve.

How can serving 6 days a week in manual labour and serving God be the same thing and same root word if they mean different services?
Same ways lots of words mean different things.

Its all the same root word. Even the word worship is the same root word so if it's the exact same word used then it could be

Do not "serve/worship" any other gods.

Let my people go so they can "serve/worship."

6 days you shall "serve/worship".

Last edited:

Actually, I suspect that to be one of the problems. People treat God in this way. They spend 6 days, 23 hours doing worldly things and then for one hour spend time in church thinking they are fulfilling their duty.

God often does things that seem backward to us. in fact the former top man at the Union for Messianic Jewish Congregations (a messianic denomination) wrote a book a few years back on that very topic called "Divine Reversal."
1654001338795.png

I thought it was tradition people were supposed to serve God in everything they do for 6 days and then rest with him on the
7th, so the 7th day was lazy chill out day.

But people go to church on the 7th day and call it worship and service day.

In all things glorify God

Yes we need to rest physicallly,

Yeah as wished that I could or we could go back to being where Sunday and Saturday. Having those days off and a five day work week. Really a bygone era there.

GOD clearly said work on 6 and rest on 7.
Obviously a Christian will live and work in a Christian manner on all 7 if he/she so desires as the Sabbath was made for man.

GOD clearly said work on 6 and rest on 7.
Obviously a Christian will live and work in a Christian manner on all 7 if he/she so desires as the Sabbath was made for man.

I know we are to live righteous and serve God 7 days in everything we do and try our best, it just seemed confusing how Christians call the 7th day service and worship day. Everyday should be serving God day. I dont see Sunday Church as anything special.

We don't cease to try do our best 7 days. I fail, majorly, but hey I still got faith and hope in Christ that's all I have. My faith and hope in Christ is the only thing that keeps me going and gives me the energy to get through another day.

Last edited:

Yeah, I can't argue with that. And I find it interesting that a week was defined as 7 days by the creation account: a prime number that cannot be evenly divided. Thus there is a special Sabbath Day with the Lord-- one can divide the other 6 days for whatever else. If you notice, there are many attempts to "change the times and seasons" including ancient Rome with the 8-day week to get people mixed up with the true cycle-- they tried to do this again with a "world calendar". 8 is nicely divisible so we can partition off the Lord with everything else; no special day (saying this tongue-in-cheek).

I just think sometimes people don't see scripture for what it is. I mean Jesus the merciful and compassionate, the soft teddy bear who lay his life down for the world. That's where many stop and focus on. That's the past that's his first coming to teach a lesson that people might listen and hear , that is to obey his words. Jesus ain't coming back merciful with compassion. a little cute baby in a manger. He's a harsh judge there is no mucking around with Christ.

Last edited:
I just think sometimes people don't see scripture for what it is. I mean Jesus the merciful and compassionate, the soft teddy bear who lay his life down for the world. That's where many stop and focus on. That's the past that's his first coming to teach a lesson that people might listen and hear , that is to obey his words. Jesus ain't coming back merciful with compassion. a little cute baby in a manger. He's a harsh judge there is no mucking around with Christ.
Another soft Jesus one sees is in the pictures where he carries a lamb with one arm perhaps over his shoulder, staff in the other arm, and his head lovingly tilted to one side. LOL

Another soft Jesus one sees is in the pictures where he carries a lamb with one arm perhaps over his shoulder, staff in the other arm, and his head lovingly tilted to one side. LOL

Everyone loves a soft Jesus. The softest man who ever lived. So soft just say his name and he will beam you into the clouds and keep you safe from tribulation. Hold on, I think scripture says christians will suffer persecution and tribulation in this world. My wrong. No promised teddy bear safety and security.

Its always the classic question. If Jesus is so great why do Christians get sick or die, well, he didn't say they would be safe in this world, he actually said they would suffer trials and tribulations and also be persecuted for his name, so just admit his words are truth.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back