Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Would You Buy From China?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well of course...if I can and if they have a good product.
I've seen first-hand the micro-economies in Europe. Sure, goods are brought in but many of the staples are sourced locally. Especially the foods.

Here, in America that just isn't possible.
We have some things that we can buy locally...but all the small production shops have closed. There are a few left but they are so expensive you can't afford to buy their products.
No one grows corn or wheat for the local mill.
Strawberries come from the border area in Tennessee near Kentucky...but that's a drive. Over 90 minutes away.
And that's just two things.
Big, huge, farms are the norm.

There's a farm in Minnesota...just three guys work it full time. Granted they work some really long days...but they are making a go of it independently. (Rare thing) But he puts up videos on YouTube...they farm over 2,500 acres of corn and soybeans used for ethanol and feed. Now I do pump gasoline and I do eat meat...but I don't use his products.
MillenialFarmer on YouTube will give you a look at small-scale, independent farming.

Even WIP does some farming up north there on an even smaller scale...but I don't think that he makes much profit off of it. (It is rather fun to do) because of the small size of his farm.

Big business owns the farm that grows the feed that feeds their animals that go to their processing plant that goes to the store's central warehouse that gets distributed everywhere.
ConAgra and Monsanto and Safeway/Kroger are the big boys. Albertsons/Publix is the other grocery store line.

These guys control the food market here in America and abroad. Like I said before... America feeds 60% of the world's population but has around 5% of the people.

Of that 5%...or 330 million people...less than half of one percent grow food for a living.

Things are done on a scale that is unimaginable to gain efficiency and keep costs low.
Albertsons folded

Yes they did into a new company...it's really still Albertsons but with the new name.
Odd ,all of them closed in my,state .

Also I can refuse Brazilian citrus ,not hard just like in my,youth I wait for the local season.

There's more ,these may cost more but they aren't processed ,and filled with additives,oranges and the juice with pulp and seeds .

Tropicana is local but,they process it .I,grew up on local citrus.

Publix is local,that's a chain that until recently didn't have self check out and also is above ghetto mart . George Jenkins original store still,stands

China makes a ton of stuff though.

From those little umbrellas that go in your drinks to back scratchers.
Three phase transformers and motors...tons of things.

China makes a ton of stuff though.

From those little umbrellas that go in your drinks to back scratchers.
Three phase transformers and motors...tons of things.
i bought a portable jaccuzi from china, works great, $400.00
Beats $4000 from America
Yes, American made is better, a lot better, but I can only afford $400.00.
Should I go without or buy the cheap stuff?

i bought a portable jaccuzi from china, works great, $400.00
Beats $4000 from America
Yes, American made is better, a lot better, but I can only afford $400.00.
Should I go without or buy the cheap stuff?

I actually don't know what you should do.
That's why I asked the question.

Part of me says buy nothing Chinese made...
Part of me says that a lot of stuff is coming from Taiwan and Hong Kong and that I should.

I don't have the answers.

I seen an article today about Trump issuing an executive order about critical supplies needing to be made here in America. Including medicine ingredients, medical supplies, and computer chips.

Apparently about 75% of all medicine is made from foreign sourced pharmaceutical grade components...and is about to change.

JohnDB

We have lots of things. World's biggest exporter of Dairy products milk, eggs, cheese. Meat products. Also lots of wood as forestry is big, aslo fruit, wine, and fish.

Agriculture would be the biggest industry.
always buy fresh meat, fish etc. locally or freeze dried.

That's a Pohutukawa. It's also my fishing tree. As soon as they start to flower I know the Amberjacks are starting to come into the harbour. I also smoke fish with the leaves. That place looks familiar.
I always thought it was a Christmas tree.
While I'm thinking about it, do they have dingos in New Zealand?
And if you live in New Zealand, then where is Old Zealand?

I always thought it was a Christmas tree.
While I'm thinking about it, do they have dingos in New Zealand?
And if you live in New Zealand, then where is Old Zealand?

I never heard of it being called a Christmas tree. I have only known it as a Pohutukawa, Maori name.

No dingos here.

The country is acturaly called Aotearoa/New Zealand. Aotearoa is a Maori name meaning land of the long white cloud. That's the real name of the country given by the Maori who were there first and graciously allowed us to live there.

Last edited:
I never heard of it being called a Christmas tree. I have only known it as a Pohutukawa, Maori name.

No dingos here.

The country is acturaly called Aotearoa, it's a Maori name meaning land of the long white cloud. That's the real name of the country given by the Maori who were there first and graciously allowed us to live there.
Oh, really, thanks for the info

I come from Malden, Massachusetts, settled in 1629, 5 miles from Boston.
There is a town in England called Malden

Oh, really, thanks for the info

I come from Malden, Massachusetts, settled in 1629, 5 miles from Boston.
There is a town in England called Malden

I like the USA, when I was a child there was only one place I wanted to go visit and that was the USA. I don't know what it was I just thought it was great, because it was, it was just way more advanced, like our milkshakes were small and the USA was extra large, our rollercoaster was short had no loop, the USAs had many loops and went for miles, if I wore a USA starter cap it was seen as real and quality.

In my childhood imagination the USA was the greatest place ever.

I used to watch The Wonder years, and Full House, I love that bridge in San Francisco.

Last edited:
I like the USA, when I was a child there was only one place I wanted to go visit and that was the USA. I don't know what it was I just thought it was great, because it was, it was just way more advanced, like our milkshakes were small and the USA was extra large, our rollercoaster was short had no loop, the USAs had many loops and went for miles, if I wore a USA starter cap it was seen as real and quality.

In my childhood imagination the USA was the greatest place ever.

I used to watch The Wonder years, and Full House, I love that bridge in San Francisco.
The type is a suspension bridge ,the name is the golden gate bridge .one of several ,the veranza narrows and Tacoma narrows are the others .

Back