Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

YOGA

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
katsa said:
Is it right for Chrisitans to practice yoga?

What is Yoga? Or perhaps I should ask it this way (since, yes, I do know what Yoga is) How do you view Yoga?

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions. I personally don't see how there is anything bad about it. All Yoga is is stetching. That's it. I have never known someone that worshiped someone/something or chanted anything while doing it. I used to do Yoga and I really need to start it back up again because I was in much better shape when I did it. :-?

Nikki said:
You'll probably get a lot of different opinions. I personally don't see how there is anything bad about it. All Yoga is is stetching. That's it. I have never known someone that worshiped someone/something or chanted anything while doing it. I used to do Yoga and I really need to start it back up again because I was in much better shape when I did it. :-?

But is that really all Yoga is?

To actually "practice yoga" you would have to adhere to the Hindu religion since that is where it comes from. Hindus created it to achieve a "oneness" with their supreme being. I believe you CAN do forms of stretching without having to go through that particular course.
:smt061

Unless Hinduism is all about stretching and breathing in and out, then I guess we're all guilty when we do what most call "Exercise".

When I Googled "YOGA" I came up with this definition, "Yoga is a Hindu system of contemplation for effecting union of the human soul with the Supreme Being" It was created around the religion. I suppose you could communicate with The true God instead of whatever deity they believe in.
Yoga has many wide and different definitions these days. Simply stretching & breathing in & out is not all there is to yoga.
:smt061

It does matter, katsa, what you meant by "practise". If you meant to follow the actual Hindu religion then no, it wouldn't be all right for a Christian to start mimicing the Hindu. However I would assume that you simply meant if it was all right to do the exercises and breathings that make Yoga so good for the body.

It seems as though this is a 'meat' issue, by which I refer to the controversary in Romans 14 regarding the eating of meat sacraficed to idols. The conclusion Paul came to in Romans 14 was that if one was convicted that eating such meat was wrong, don't do it. If one had a clear conscience about it, go ahead, one has the liberty in Christ to do so.

The exercises in Yoga, as the disciplines in the Martial Arts, can be nothing more to the Christian than just really good exercise that keeps the body in great condition. I cannot imagine why a Christian would be drawn into any kind of false religion by simply doing some of the exercises and stretches, but if one feels convicted that Yoga, (or Karate for that matter) is too wrapped up in a different religion, then one shouldn't do them. The problem in these matters is never whether its right or wrong for a Christian to either do these things or not. The problem is when Christians start trying to decide that, since they have a certain conviction, NOBODY should do these things.

Before I married, I used to be very active in Community Theater, and it was quite often I went from frantic, boisterious late night reheresals to bed so that I could get at least 5 hours of sleep before the alarm went off for the day job. I found several stretching and relaxation exercises from Yoga that really helped the body and mind calm down enough to sleep. I didn't try to meld body and mind or anything like that, nor did I go "Ohmmmmm". It was just some stretches and breathing exercises that really relaxed me. Better than a slug of Jim Bean at any rate! I also suffer from an old childhood injury to the hip that is getting authoritic. Those stretches really helped with that as well. I probably should take it back up too. Hey Nikki, to bad there isn't a way to do Yoga on-line! :wink:

I've done martial arts for years. My instructor was a Christian and we simply learned the movements and their applications, yet did not practice any spiritualism in regards to it. As a matter of fact, we placed our Christian beliefs to it. In the yin-yang symbol, we took out the little dots in the image which stand for the spiritual part of it.

In Yoga, stretching is just stretching as long as you don't do any of the spiritualism. What you believe and how you apply it is what's important. That is the basis for what you choose or choose not to engage in. A fighting form is simply a fighting form, and a stretching exercise is simply a stretching exercise. What philosophy you place on it and practice is the defining element here.

antitox said:
I've done martial arts for years. My instructor was a Christian and we simply learned the movements and their applications, yet did not practice any spiritualism in regards to it. As a matter of fact, we placed our Christian beliefs to it. In the yin-yang symbol, we took out the little dots in the image which stand for the spiritual part of it.

In Yoga, stretching is just stretching as long as you don't do any of the spiritualism. What you believe and how you apply it is what's important. That is the basis for what you choose or choose not to engage in. A fighting form is simply a fighting form, and a stretching exercise is simply a stretching exercise. What philosophy you place on it and practice is the defining element here.

Then you are no longer practicing wooshu or yoga - but have attempted to "christianize" it.

Ask a Hinud Yoga instructure if you can teach Yoga with the Hindu principles.

Then you are no longer practicing wooshu or yoga - but have attempted to "christianize" it.

You can look at it that way, but it still has nothing to do with the principles of the spiritual belief they chose to attach to it. If I take the fighting form of boxing and attach a devised spiritual system to it, does that make boxing evil? No. it simply means that I took a means of self-defense and spiritualized it in an attempt to make it untouchable by anyone else who might have a desire to utilize it.

Martial arts and other forms have been monoploized by spirits who wish to have exclusive rights to self defense forms/exercises - with intent to require people to adopt those religious practices in order to gain access to said fighting form (or exercise).

My Christian karate master knew this and sought to change things. Those who wish to yield to the exclusivity of said practices are free to do so, but I don't settle for that.

antitox said:

You can look at it that way, but it still has nothing to do with the principles of the spiritual belief they chose to attach to it. If I take the fighting form of boxing and attach a devised spiritual system to it, does that make boxing evil? No. it simply means that I took a means of self-defense and spiritualized it in an attempt to make it untouchable by anyone else who might have a desire to utilize it.

Martial arts and other forms have been monoploized by spirits who wish to have exclusive rights to self defense forms/exercises - with intent to require people to adopt those religious practices in order to gain access to said fighting form (or exercise).

My Christian karate master knew this and sought to change things. Those who wish to yield to the exclusivity of said practices are free to do so, but I don't settle for that.

Although it has now become a cliche, or at worst a marketing slogan - isn't the ultimate question for the Christian believer - What would Jesus Do? Or at the least, What does the BIble teach?

Paul tells us that while training the body is good, it is better to train the 'soul'. While I do not want to get into a arguement about it, I feel compelled to ask - should Christians learn how to 'fight'?

I suppose one could ask - which came first? The principles of stretching, and then the spiritual dimension added to it, or did the principles of stretching/fighting grow out of the spiritiual beliefs or hinduism or buddhism, etc.

Although it has now become a cliche, or at worst a marketing slogan - isn't the ultimate question for the Christian believer - What would Jesus Do? Or at the least, What does the BIble teach?

The bible teaches not to engage in spiritualist activity as outlined in Deut 18. Stretching exercises are not activities as such.

Paul tells us that while training the body is good, it is better to train the 'soul'. While I do not want to get into a arguement about it, I feel compelled to ask - should Christians learn how to 'fight'?

If one chooses to learn defense. Are you implying that we should not defend ourselves in such a situation? Or defend one's family from assault?

I suppose one could ask - which came first? The principles of stretching, and then the spiritual dimension added to it, or did the principles of stretching/fighting grow out of the spiritiual beliefs or hinduism or buddhism, etc.

And you could ask the same question about everything else out there that has been monopolized with some kind of spiritual philosophy. Until you understand the difference between something physically elemental and spiritualism, you will be critical of it. Old argument.

Is YOGA still YOGA without it's spiritual hertigage?

If you want to 'stretch' - then stretch.

At one time I wanted to learn YOGA, however, the more I read about it and understand what YOGA truly is - the more I realized that I would need to learn the spiritual aspect of it to trully appreciate and "do" Yoga.

Yoga without the spiritual dimension is not yoga.

Is YOGA still YOGA without it's spiritual hertigage?

I guess that depends on how an individual wishes to view it. But I don't see it as such.

If you want to 'stretch' - then stretch.

Agreed.

At one time I wanted to learn YOGA, however, the more I read about it and understand what YOGA truly is - the more I realized that I would need to learn the spiritual aspect of it to trully appreciate and "do" Yoga.

If you looking at taking part in the spiritual part of it.

Yoga without the spiritual dimension is not yoga.

I would probably say that as well since we are omitting the belief system. It's just that people continue to use the word as a reference to the stretching style, being oriental.

I find it very niave that some Christians don't find an issue with practicing pagan rituals that have been "american-ized" to make them feel good about it.

The fact is that it is a pagan activity and we are supposed to seperate ourselves from all of that. The very breathing and stretching involved is intended to loosen you up both physically and emotionally in an attempt to transcend this plane. This leaves one open to demonic forces and should be shunned by any that call themselves believers.

Would you invite Jesus to practice parts of hinuism with you? Well, if you truly are saved then He is part of you and you are doing just that.

We have to be careful assigning the meaning of something to another person. Frankly, I'd have no problem whatsoever inviting Jesus to lay down on a mat beside me and participate in alternately relaxing and stretching different body parts. Well, I guess I'd have a problem with the fact that He was probably quite physically fit and I'm pretty dumpy and out of shape, but I wouldn't have a spiritual crises about it.

I agree with the fact that we should be separated from worldly things, but I cannot agree that physical aspects of Yoga or Karate are worldly. Or pagan for that matter.

Perhaps it would be good to really examine what the text, "To the pure, all things are pure" means. The context of this text in Titus 15 is that some Jews were putting religious edicts on the church in Crete that were causing a lot of upset. I believe Paul's point in this text is that when we are following Titus 8, and are "hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled and are holding fast to the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching" then we are pure, and have the ability to be SELF-CONTROLLED. In other words, I don't need others telling what to eat, what to drink, how to dress or how to exercise. I have the Spirit, and as I follow the Spirit, then "all things are pure."

This is simplistic, and we can and should go deeper. But I think it's best if we do search the Scriptures and see just what personal liberties and freedoms we have in Christ, before equating the exercises others may do with paganism.

Gosh, I'm doing this in rather a hurry and hope I'm not coming off as snitty. I think it's a good discussion to have, because having been part of a cult which did dictate one's personal behaviors, I find this subject to be an important one.

Handy,

You actually impressed me with your handling of biblical understanding there. :smt023

:lol: Thanks Antitox.

I think ALV brings up a good point as well. While all things are lawful, the question is, is something profitable? Does it edify? And this gets us right back to the individual. For many, Yoga and Karate are very profitable. Many have found better physical health and the over-all well being that comes from toned physical condition from it. While I was involved in Community Theater, my immediate supervisor for the day job was impressed at the fact that I could, in essense, work two full time jobs, yet still be completely functional and efficient at work. I credited the Yoga exercises for the ability to have both the energy and stamina needed to perform both my jobs as well as the relaxation needed to get a good night's rest in between.
Others might find that these things are not profitable or do not edify. Naturally, if one feels that it is wrong, of course they shouldn't do it. One must follow conscience on these things.

Here's a question to ponder: If something is truly not profitable or edifying, let's say playing Solitare on the computer, is it up to another Christian to say whether or not a person should engage in that activity?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back