Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Your Desert Island Bible

Your desert island Bible ?

• NIV

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • ESV

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • NKJV

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • NET

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NLT

• NSB

• KJV

• CSB

• The Message

• Other

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

hawkman

Staff member
Your are destined for that proverbial desert island and it is inhabited by people you will be sharing the Gospel with . Only ONE Bible allowed for your choice !
Your Bible of choice would be which version ? Meaning translation .
If your Bible version of choice is not in the poll please include your choice in your comments :) .

My choice would be the 1901 American Standard Version. That translation corrects some errors in the KJV that newer manuscripts brought to light, but before the plethora of modern Bibles became more influenced by the culture of the times. It is a good study Bible because of its tendency to translate a single original language word always with the same English word when possible. For instance, in my youth I was taught that predestine only occurs 4 times in the Bible and only about the destiny of believers, but the Greek word proorizo appears 6 times, which the ASV translates by "foreordain" all 6 times, which according to Merriam-Webster is synonymous with predestine. The two times not easily noticed in the KJV are:

"for of a truth in this city against thy holy Servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, were gathered together, to do whatsoever thy hand and thy council foreordained to come to pass." (Acts 4:27-28, ASV)

The most horrific sin in all of history, the hanging the Lord of glory upon the cross to die was predestined or foreordained.

"We speak wisdom, however, among them that are fullgrown: yet a wisdom not of this world, nor of the rulers of this world, who are coming to nought: but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, even the wisdom that hath been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds unto our glory: which none of the rulers of this world hath known: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory: but as it is written, Things which eye saw not, and ear heard not, And which entered not into the heart of man, Whatsoever things God prepared for them that love him." (1Cor 2:6-9, ASV)

It seems that even our Lord Jesus Christ states the the world's greatest sin was foreordained, predestined or hath been determined in the past, before the creation of the world.

"But behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table. For the Son of man indeed goeth, as it hath been determined: but woe unto that man through whom he is betrayed!" (Luke 22:21-22, ASV)

or as the Weymouth NT reads it:

"For indeed the Son of Man goes on His way—His pre-destined way; yet alas for that man who is betraying Him!" (Luke 22:22, Weymouth)

It's a hard choice because I like to compare translations to figure out meanings, but if I had to pick one - I would bring along the NIV. The reason for this is that most people easily understand it. The English in it is very modern. Although, there are some parts that seem lost in translation, overall it's decent.

My choice would be the 1901 American Standard Version.
Thanks for your thoughts and input :):bible.

Don't feel slighted because the ASV was not listed as a choice , I used a couple of lists of best sellers in Bibles from @ the last 10 years .

It's a hard choice because I like to compare translations to figure out meanings, but if I had to pick one - I would bring along the NIV. The reason for this is that most people easily understand it. The English in it is very modern. Although, there are some parts that seem lost in translation, overall it's decent.
Thanks for you thoughts and input :):bible .

I have used the NIV and found it helpful too . I found a hardback KJV/NIV parallel Bible for a few dollars at a local thrift store and enjoy using it .

If I take my KJV I will find myself explaining more of the text to the residents on the island . Things to consider in my question . :chin 🏝️

Your are destined for that proverbial desert island and it is inhabited by people you will be sharing the Gospel with . Only ONE Bible allowed for your choice !

The Complete Biblical Library. It's a Greek interlinear of the entire NT, complete with a Greek-English Lexicon and an English commentary. But it's really one ONE Bible.

$_3.JPG

That might be cheating, but if so just call me Jacob the Trickster. If fate has so turned on me that I should be left on a deserted island, I'm taking my best Bible with me.

Last edited:
$_3.JPG

That might be cheating, but if so just call me Jacob the Trickster. If I should be left on a deserted island, I'm taking my best Bible with me.

P.S. If I can't have that, I'll take my cross-referenced KJV with the pages torn and some of it coming out of the binder now.

I chose other.

Mine would be the NRSV with apocryphal. I used to really like the NKJV, but have been really digging the NRSV lately.

The last time I got the NRSV which was pretty recently I had prayed about it and was led to it.

I also have one of those huge KJV Heirloom Bibles.

s-l640.jpg

Maybe that would survive the elements better. You have to think of these things, you know. There are a lot of hurricanes in the Caribbean and stuff.

2015-10-19avn5pm.gif

The Complete Biblical Library. It's a Greek interlinear of the entire NT, complete with a Greek-English Lexicon and an English commentary. But it's really one ONE Bible.
If this is what you take you may need to construct a wheel barrow to carry around your choice as you spread the Gospel around the island . By using a wheel barrow you would be using God's word to build your muscle power too:biggrin2 .

I chose other.

Mine would be the NRSV with apocryphal. I used to really like the NKJV, but have been really digging the NRSV lately.

The last time I got the NRSV which was pretty recently I had prayed about it and was led to it.
Thanks for your input :):bible . Your choice is one I am unfamiliar with . I wonder how many more choices I needed to list to avoid so many "other" selections ? Oh well live and learn as they say .

Thanks for you input :):bible . I have a Thompson Chain-Reference KJV , is that what you have too ?

Pretty sure it's Thompson. I don't know that another chain reference even exists out there, it's just that mine doesn't specifically mention which one it is. It's a Crusade Topical Reference KJV. Very useful, though. Chain-referencing is absolutely invaluable to study.

Thanks for you thoughts and input :):bible .

I have used the NIV and found it helpful too . I found a hardback KJV/NIV parallel Bible for a few dollars at a local thrift store and enjoy using it .

If I take my KJV I will find myself explaining more of the text to the residents on the island . Things to consider in my question . :chin 🏝️
I don't think I've ever seen a combined KJV/NIV Bible, that'd be pretty nifty :biggrin ! I love comparing versions so that could be a fun one. Might have to keep an eye out for one.

I don't think I've ever seen a combined KJV/NIV Bible, that'd be pretty nifty :biggrin ! I love comparing versions so that could be a fun one. Might have to keep an eye out for one.
Rose, you know you can download the free computer software study Bibles, either from www.theword.net or www.e-sword.net

With either of those programs you can make your own parallel Bible and you can select the versions you wish to have in comparisons. For instance, in my 'theWord' compare view, I now have selected the KJV, ASV, NRSV, REB and YLT. The NIV you mentioned is a paid module, not free though, if you wish to have it.

The REB is the Revised English Bible, a 1989 translation from the UK, which is a Dynamic Equivalence Translation and it is a favorite of mine; but, sadly the module is no longer available for download. A couple examples of the REB translation are:

"Truly I tell you: the present generation will live to see it all." (Matt 24:34, REB)

That does away with the nonsensical Scripture twisting that gets applied to that verse! :clap

"By God’s act you are in Christ Jesus; God has made him our wisdom, and in him we have our righteousness, our holiness, our liberation. Therefore, in the words of scripture, ‘If anyone must boast, let him boast of the Lord.’" (1Cor 1:30-31, REB)

Just as the NRSV is an update of the RSV, the REB is an update of the NEB and the NEB can be read online at:

Select "HOLY BIBLE select-a-version. (Includes Apocrypha-Deuterocanonical books in the KJV(AV), KNSB, and RSV.)"

Rose, you know you can download the free computer software study Bibles, either from www.theword.net or www.e-sword.net

With either of those programs you can make your own parallel Bible and you can select the versions you wish to have in comparisons. For instance, in my 'theWord' compare view, I now have selected the KJV, ASV, NRSV, REB and YLT. The NIV you mentioned is a paid module, not free though, if you wish to have it.
Will e-sword parallel give you a chapters next to each other view like what is in the photo ? A verse at a time is not as helpful for me .

Thomas-Nelson-KJV-NKJV-Parallel-Bible-%E2%80%93-Review-006.jpg

Will e-sword parallel give you a chapters next to each other view like what is in the photo ? A verse at a time is not as helpful for me .

Thomas-Nelson-KJV-NKJV-Parallel-Bible-%E2%80%93-Review-006.jpg
Yes, Hawkman, the e-sword under the "Parellel" setting will read through the verses so you are not limited to single verses. I'll see if I can show you a screen shot from my e-sword by attachment.eswordParallel.JPG

The REB is the Revised English Bible, a 1989 translation from the UK, which is a Dynamic Equivalence Translation and it is a favorite of mine; but, sadly the module is no longer available for download. A couple examples of the REB translation are:

"Truly I tell you: the present generation will live to see it all." (Matt 24:34, REB)

That does away with the nonsensical Scripture twisting that gets applied to that verse! :clap

"By God’s act you are in Christ Jesus; God has made him our wisdom, and in him we have our righteousness, our holiness, our liberation. Therefore, in the words of scripture, ‘If anyone must boast, let him boast of the Lord.’" (1Cor 1:30-31, REB)

Just as the NRSV is an update of the RSV, the REB is an update of the NEB and the NEB can be read online at:

Select "HOLY BIBLE select-a-version. (Includes Apocrypha-Deuterocanonical books in the KJV(AV), KNSB, and RSV.)"

I've never bothered to download the computer software Bibles before. Generally I prefer using my printed copies and if I'm on the computer I waltz over to Biblegateway.com

Thank you for the references and useful tips. I will probably keep them handy :)

Oh Rose, you are missing out on so much by not taking advantage of Bible software, since it is free. If you wish to find a phrase rather than just a word, the software will search the entire Bible or sections of the Bible for the exact phrase. You can also search for more than one word in a verse where you want all the words in the verse, or any of the words you input and the software finds it. You can do it with the KJV or many other translations. Using the KJV you can use the Strong's numbers and do word studies in the Hebrew and the Greek. You have the Strong's Hebrew-Greek dictionary and you can also download free the lexicons also such at Thayer's and AMGL. I remember before the computer age I had to study with Strong's and Young's hardcopy using the long Yellow Legal pads to make my word study notes, etc. The software is a God-send! Yet, I do have a sister who does refuse to use a computer, so maybe you have the same outlook as sis! :lol

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back