Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Your unsaved deceased loved ones are not eternally lost unless they want to be

Alfred Persson

Free Will Reformed Baptist
2024 Supporter
Explore the biblical proof salvation beyond this life is possible through the timeless sacrifice of Christ for the sins of the Cosmos. "God is to us a God of deliverances; And to Yahweh the Lord belong escapes from death" (Ps. 68:20) says scripture.

There is enough scripture proof to make a compelling argument salvation through Jesus Christ extends beyond our earthly existence. God dwells in Eternity (Isa. 57:15) and "the lamb slain from the foundation of the Cosmos" (Rev. 13:8) can save the many who obey His voice whether in the grave or not (John 5:24-29; 1 Pet. 4:5-6; Heb. 9:23-28)

Dozens of scriptures support postmortem evangelism, offering hope and clarity for those who wonder about the fate of their loved ones who have not accepted Christ in their lifetime.

Whether you are a theologian, a believer, or someone seeking answers to life’s ultimate questions, my book will challenge your understanding and expand your perspective on God’s boundless grace and mercy.

I have challenged everyone in this forum to prove me wrong. Try again.

Explore the biblical proof salvation beyond this life is possible through the timeless sacrifice of Christ for the sins of the Cosmos. "God is to us a God of deliverances; And to Yahweh the Lord belong escapes from death" (Ps. 68:20) says scripture.

There is enough scripture proof to make a compelling argument salvation through Jesus Christ extends beyond our earthly existence. God dwells in Eternity (Isa. 57:15) and "the lamb slain from the foundation of the Cosmos" (Rev. 13:8) can save the many who obey His voice whether in the grave or not (John 5:24-29; 1 Pet. 4:5-6; Heb. 9:23-28)

Dozens of scriptures support postmortem evangelism, offering hope and clarity for those who wonder about the fate of their loved ones who have not accepted Christ in their lifetime.

Whether you are a theologian, a believer, or someone seeking answers to life’s ultimate questions, my book will challenge your understanding and expand your perspective on God’s boundless grace and mercy.

So what youre saying is i can sin all i want and live dangerously, go to the lake of fire, but then repent and go to Heaven after i was sent to lake of fire! Lol! your theology and God's Justice are fundamentally opposed.
Your new idea gives people a false hope and tickles itchy ears. Ik youll hate to hear this.

So what youre saying is i can sin all i want and live dangerously, go to the lake of fire, but then repent and go to Heaven after i was sent to lake of fire! Lol! your theology and God's Justice are fundamentally opposed.
Your new idea gives people a false hope and tickles itchy ears. Ik youll hate to hear this.
Of course not. Sin will be paid for. The Rich Man in Hades was being punished for his sin:

He who mocks the poor reproaches his Maker; He who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished. (Prov. 17:5 NKJ)

But the Catholic dogma Protestants inherited---that its eternal, is wrong.

There is punishment for willful sin, but there is opportunity to repent also:

Abraham called the rich man is son, "child." Abraham says many would crossover into hell to console the rich man, if they could. That contradicts the rich man was irredeemably wicked:

21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. (Ps. 139:21-22 NKJ)

If the rich man were irredeemably wicked he would be cursing God, Abraham and Lazarus for rejecting his pleas.

Moreover, if you BELIEVE THE BIBLE, then you know everyone in Hades will be raised up, and only the wicked tossed into the Lake of Fire. If none of those raised from Hell wouldn't enter life, the book of life wouldn't be opened. Its opened so names can be written in that weren't there before God Judged them:

13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:13-21:1 NKJ)

28 "Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:28-29 NKJ)

They are judged according to their works, which INCLUDE what they did "in the grave" AFTER they heard the gospel preached to them:

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:5-6 NKJ)

There is no "second chance" for those who commit eternal sin, which rejecting Christ in full knowledge is. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is eternal sin.

For example, those who accept the mark of the beast have no forgiveness. Pedophile priests, and other sins may be eternal, no forgiveness (Mark 9:42-49).

Last edited:
Of course not. Sin will be paid for. The Rich Man in Hades was being punished for his sin:

He who mocks the poor reproaches his Maker; He who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished. (Prov. 17:5 NKJ)

But the Catholic dogma Protestants inherited---that its eternal, is wrong.

There is punishment for willful sin, but there is opportunity to repent also:

Abraham called the rich man is son, "child." Abraham says many would crossover into hell to console the rich man, if they could. That contradicts the rich man was irredeemably wicked:

21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. (Ps. 139:21-22 NKJ)

If the rich man were irredeemably wicked he would be cursing God, Abraham and Lazarus for rejecting his pleas.

Moreover, if you BELIEVE THE BIBLE, then you know everyone in Hades will be raised up, and only the wicked tossed into the Lake of Fire. If none of those raised from Hell wouldn't enter life, the book of life wouldn't be opened. Its opened so names can be written in that weren't there before God Judged them:

13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:13-21:1 NKJ)

28 "Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:28-29 NKJ)

They are judged according to their works, which INCLUDE what they did "in the grave" AFTER they heard the gospel preached to them:

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:5-6 NKJ)

There is no "second chance" for those who commit eternal sin, which rejecting Christ in full knowledge is. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is eternal sin.

For example, those who accept the mark of the beast have no forgiveness. Pedophile priests, and other sins may be eternal, no forgiveness (Mark 9:42-49).
So by your logic, nearly everyone who didnt do unforgivable sin will repent and enter Heaven.
But the Catholic dogma Protestants inherited---that its eternal,

How was it "made by catholics"?

What did most early Bible-following Christians think??

Moreover, if you BELIEVE THE BIBLE, then you know everyone in Hades will be raised up, and only the wicked tossed into the Lake of Fire. If none of those raised from Hell wouldn't enter life, the book of life wouldn't be opened.
Sometimes people translate hades as "the grave". and yes, I know peoples' souls go to "the grave" and are, afterward, judged.

God already gave us our chance on earth. How is it just for God to save a person who was unrepentant even to their grave? Once youre gone thats it. Its appointed once for a man to die.

Do you believe the sodomites (people of sodom and gomorrah) will repent after they enter the lake of fire?

And if "post death salvation" is true, then you can sin after you enter Heaven- if you want to- , too. Why should it only be one way?

If the rich man were irredeemably wicked he would be cursing God, Abraham and Lazarus for rejecting his pleas
If your doctrine were true God would never reject his plea in the first place. God would just SAVE THEM, go back on the penalty He gave, like you imply/claim He would.

The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.

29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:28-29 NKJ)

Those verses you gave just prove that people have souls and can be ressurrected. Nothing about them "doing anything" after they died.
Besides, it is God who saves us, not ourselves. God is the way to Heaven, not anything we do.

For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
That's referring to spiritual death. In fact, if they are physically dead, then why is there "live according to God"? Why doesn't live refer to physical living?
Do they get resurrected so they can live? If not, then you have yourself a Bible contradiction.

How can physically-dead people be 'judged' by "men in the flesh"? You can only be judged by sinners and live according to God when alive.

"preached to those who are dead" The spiritually dead, physically alive. They can repent and be Born Again, as shown here.

So this verse becomes a contradiction under your ideas, but it makes sense in reality. You simply misunderstood that verse.

Bible: 1 . Ear tickle teaching: 0.

So by your logic, nearly everyone who didnt do unforgivable sin will repent and enter Heaven.

How was it "made by catholics"?

What did most early Bible-following Christians think??

Sometimes people translate hades as "the grave". and yes, I know peoples' souls go to "the grave" and are, afterward, judged.

God already gave us our chance on earth. How is it just for God to save a person who was unrepentant even to their grave? Once youre gone thats it. Its appointed once for a man to die.

Do you believe the sodomites (people of sodom and gomorrah) will repent after they enter the lake of fire?

And if "post death salvation" is true, then you can sin after you enter Heaven- if you want to- , too. Why should it only be one way?

If your doctrine were true God would never reject his plea in the first place. God would just SAVE THEM, go back on the penalty He gave, like you imply/claim He would.

Those verses you gave just prove that people have souls and can be ressurrected. Nothing about them "doing anything" after they died.
Besides, it is God who saves us, not ourselves. God is the way to Heaven, not anything we do.

No, I didn't say that. Free Will. Everyone who freely confesses Jesus is LORD to OBEY Him, after all self delusion and slavery to sin has been purged out of the soul, can repent and believe. BUT NOT THOSE WHO COMMIT ETERNAL SINS, there is no forgiveness for those in the age to come:

32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (Matt. 12:32 NKJ)

The Orthodox and then Catholics lost apostolic eschatology when Aramaic Palestinian Jews were gone. After Rome destroyed that culture, only the Jews remembered what it was, not the Gentile Church. For example, the Christian teacher Clement of Alexandria (150-215) retired to live with Bishop of the Jerusalem Church while it existed. He knew what apostolic doctrine was, and notice what he says about repentance in Hades:

So I think it is demonstrated that God (being good) and the Lord (being powerful) both save with a righteousness and equality that extends to all who turn to God, whether here or elsewhere. For it is not here alone that the active power of God is present. Rather, it is everywhere and is always at work.… For it is not right that those persons [who died before Christ] should be condemned without trial, and that those alone who lived after His coming should have the advantage of the divine righteousness. Clement of Alexandria (c. 195, EE Eastern), 2.491. Dead, Intermediate State of The. (1998). In D. W. Bercot (Ed.), A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A Reference Guide to More than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church Fathers (p. 192). Hendrickson Publishers.

Catholics "perverted" this into "purgatory" (Catholics only) which Protestants rightly reject. What originally applied to all in the "intermediate state" they restricted only to Catholics who paid their dues.

My site shows you what early Christians think, but oddly those who claim to believe the Bible refuse to believe what is written:

All the scriptures are there for you to study. A great example is Hebrews 9:26-28 which informs us the eternal sacrifice of Christ applies is available to everyone who dies, during the judgement. And those who pass this judgment then eagerly wait for Christ to appear a second time to save them:

26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. (Heb. 9:26-28 NKJ)

Everyone who died "since the foundation of the world" can have the sacrifice of Christ applied to bear their sins. AND He does, for the "many" who believe, choose life via their free will.

Not all, only those who haven't committed eternal sins, AND who choose to OBEY God and live in Holiness. Not everyone wants that, Satan didn't.

WHY are you confusing this with Judgment Day? The judgment happens immediately after someone dies. The Great White Throne judgment isn't until after the 1000 year reign of Christ.

That's referring to spiritual death. In fact, if they are physically dead, then why is there "live according to God"? Why doesn't live refer to physical living?
Do they get resurrected so they can live? If not, then you have yourself a Bible contradiction.

How can physically-dead people be 'judged' by "men in the flesh"? You can only be judged by sinners and live according to God when alive.

"preached to those who are dead" The spiritually dead, physically alive. They can repent and be Born Again, as shown here.

So this verse becomes a contradiction under your ideas, but it makes sense in reality. You simply misunderstood that verse.

Bible: 1 . Ear tickle teaching: 0.
No, it isn't. The word "spiritual" doesn't appear in the context. Also, sound hermeneutics requires we interpret "the dead" consistently.

God is ready to judge ALL THE DEAD, not just the "spiritually dead" in this life.

In context Peter says the mockers who rejected the gospel and spoke evil of it didn't realize they would have to explain themselves when they died.

AND that is why the Gospel is ALSO preached to these who died rejecting it, because of their self delusions and addiction to sin....

So they can reconsider, and choose to live according to God's righteousness in the Holy Spirit, protected from the torments of hell until the first resurrection-rapture of the church.

They can't leave hell, but God will end any torment they experience. The Holy Spirit will protect them from it until the rapture of the church, just as He did for the human soul of Jesus when He went and preached to the spirits in prison:

18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring you to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
19 in which he also went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison,
20 who before were disobedient, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, while the ship was being built. In it, few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
21 This is a symbol of baptism, which now saves you—not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22 who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, angels and authorities and powers being made subject to him. (1 Pet. 3:18-22 RPTE)

Last edited:
Elijah is coming, he will restore all things, bring the hearts of believers back to God, to their family, and OBEDIENCE to the Holy Scripture. Even that is rejected by many today. Incredible:

Jesus answered them, "Elijah indeed comes first, and will restore all things, (Matt. 17:11 RPTE)

Unfortunately, my deceased loved ones never made the God their god.
They made their choice of a second death before their first deaths.

Walk now as God ordained, and live forever.
The rebellious will perish.

Catholics slowly began changing apostolic doctrine because they couldn't understand it without the apostles or other Israeli Jewish converts to explain it to them. That is how "purgatory" came into existence. Its a "perversion of the apostolic doctrine of Hades".

To the Jews of Christ's day, both schools of Shammai and Hillel (who taught the apostle Paul), Hades was a place of purgation where souls could repent (hear the voice of God and obey it) and be raised up to the resurrection of life:

25 "Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 "For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 "and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:25-29 NKJ)

They "hear" (=obey, vs. 25) while "in the graves", and these will be raised to life. Those who hear and do not obey, rise to the resurrection of condemnation.

That is why the book of life is opened on Judgment Day, so the names of those who obeyed (while in the graves) could be written into them:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:11-15 NKJ)

COMPARE the teaching of the school of Hillel in Christ's day:

[I.15 A] Said R. Kruspedai said R. Yohanan, “Three books are opened [by God] on the New Year: one for the thoroughly wicked, one for the thoroughly righteous, and one for middling [people].

“The thoroughly righteous immediately are inscribed and sealed for [continued] life.
[C] “The thoroughly wicked immediately are inscribed and sealed for death.
[D] “Middling [people] are left hanging from New Year until the Day of Atonement.

[E] “If they [are found to have] merit, they are inscribed for life.
[F] “If they [are found] not [to have] merit, they are inscribed for death.”
[G] Said R. Abin, “What is the Scriptural [foundation for this]? [Ps. 69:28 states]: ‘Let them be blotted out of the book of the living. Let them not be inscribed among the righteous.’ ‘Let them be blotted out of the book’-this refers to the book of the thoroughly wicked. ‘[… of the] living’-this refers to the book of the righteous. ‘Let them not be inscribed among the righteous’-this refers to the book of middling [people].”-Neusner, J. (2011). The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary (Vol. 6b, p. 83). Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers

Protestants disparage 1st century Jewish Tradition, which Paul the apostle was immersed in and some of which Christ called "treasure"

Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things new and old.” (Matt. 13:52 NKJ)

If everything the School of Hillel taught is garbage, how could Christ command His disciples to pay it heed when it agrees with scripture:

1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3 "Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do (Matt. 23:1-3 NKJ)

Martin Luther's antisemitism may have laid the seeds for Nazism. But WE shouldn't be blinded by such hatred, we should read everything Paul the apostle did, to see what "treasure" he bought out of Judaism.

6 But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, "Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee; concerning the hope and resurrection of the dead I am being judged!" (Acts 23:6 NKJ)

4 "So then, all Jews know my manner of life from my youth up, which from the beginning was spent among my own nation and at Jerusalem;
5 since they have known about me for a long time previously, if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect of our religion.
6 "And now I am standing trial for the hope of the promise made by God to our fathers; (Acts 26:4-6 NAS)

There is a reason why God used Paul to write most of the NT. As an expert in law he saw the treasure in 1st century Judaism, and that context sheds light on Paul thanking God repentant Jews who died "enemies of the Gospel" will find mercy when Christ comes:

26 and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob."
27 "And this is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins."
28 From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers;
29 for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
30 For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience,
31 so these also now have been disobedient, in order that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy.
32 For God has shut up all in disobedience that He might show mercy to all. (Rom. 11:26-32 NAS)

It is truly ironic this "orthodox" (=right thinking) is only permitted in the "unorthodox forum".

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my deceased loved ones never made the God their god.
They made their choice of a second death before their first deaths.

Walk now as God ordained, and live forever.
The rebellious will perish.
Fortunately, if they weren't evil people its VERY likely they repented, and are there waiting for you. They won't hold your error against you, they will be glad to see you.

Billions Now Living May Never Die: God's Plan for the Lost Paperback – Large Print, October 24, 2021​

by Alfred Persson (Author)

Fortunately, if they weren't evil people its VERY likely they repented, and are there waiting for you. They won't hold your error against you, they will be glad to see you.
All who don't obey God now, and then, are evil.

Billions Now Living May Never Die: God's Plan for the Lost Paperback – Large Print, October 24, 2021​

by Alfred Persson (Author)
The only way not to die a second time is to repent of sin now.
Non-sinners only die once !

All who don't obey God now, and then, are evil.

The only way not to die a second time is to repent of sin now.
Non-sinners only die once !
Fortunately, your theory isn't scriptural. Purgation is a fact of scripture, fire purges away the dross of sin and delusion, leaving the silver behind to use their free will as God intended, free of all satanic delusion and slavery. Then they are asked if they want to live in Holiness with God, or be cast into the outer darkness.

He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the LORD An offering in righteousness. (Mal. 3:3 NKJ)

Levi's descendants are God's firstfruits (Num. 3:41), but as they go so do everyone else who obey the gospel preached ALSO to the dead that they may live according to God (1 Pet. 4:6):

For there is no partiality with God (Rom. 2:11 NKJ)

Last edited:
Fortunately, your theory isn't scriptural. Purgation is a fact of scripture, fire purges away the dross of sin and delusion, leaving the silver behind to use their free will as God intended, free of all satanic delusion and slavery. Then they are asked if they want to live in Holiness with God, or be cast into the outer darkness.

He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the LORD An offering in righteousness. (Mal. 3:3 NKJ)

Levi's descendants are God's firstfruits (Num. 3:41), but as they go so do everyone else born who obey the gospel that is preached ALSO to the dead that they may live according to God (1 Pet. 4:6):

Obey God, and live forever.
Disobey God, and live in such fear that you clamor for foolish second chances.

Thanks to the conversations I had here, I added an "Addendum" to my article and it will appear eventually in my book. Folks here are the first to see it:

ADDENDUM

A theory why most of the Christian Church lost this first century concept of salvation after death.

The Gentile Church became confused about eschatology when Aramaic Palestinian Jews vanished from it. The Roman Empire dispersed that culture, only a remnant of Jews remembered what it was. Many uniquely Jewish concepts became unknown.

We see the change when Christian scholar Clement of Alexandria (150-215), who retired to live with the Bishop of the Jerusalem at the end of his life, says:

So I think it is demonstrated that God (being good) and the Lord (being powerful) both save with a righteousness and equality that extends to all who turn to God, whether here or elsewhere. For it is not here alone that the active power of God is present. Rather, it is everywhere and is always at work.… For it is not right that those persons [who died before Christ] should be condemned without trial, and that those alone who lived after His coming should have the advantage of the divine righteousness. Clement of Alexandria (c. 195, EE Eastern), 2.491. Dead, Intermediate State of The. (1998). In D. W. Bercot (Ed.), A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A Reference Guide to More than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church Fathers (p. 192). Hendrickson Publishers.

The Gentile Church couldn’t reconcile “a second chance” with the idea Christ alone is the way to God. The scripture revelation there is a “life review” called a “judgment” that determined if Christ’s sacrifice could be applied to the deceased, was lost. The apostolic concept of hades as a place where repentance is possible for those who died unbelieving was replaced with “purgatory” which applied only to dues paying Catholics. That perversion of the truth is rightly by Christians.

Hades in the first century was seen by both Religious Schools of Shammai and Hillel (who taught the apostle Paul) as a place of purgation where souls could repent (hear the voice of God and obey it) and be raised up to the resurrection of life:

25 “Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 “For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 “and come forth– those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:25-29 NKJ)

They “hear” (=obey John 5:25) while “in the graves”, and these will be raised to life. Those who hear and do not obey, rise to the resurrection of condemnation.

It is written:

Levi’s descendants are God’s first fruits (Num. 3:41), but as they go so do everyone else who obey the gospel preached ALSO to the dead that they may live according to God (1 Pet. 4:6):

To write the names into the book of life of those who repented in Hades is why the “book of life” is opened on Judgment Day:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:11-15 NKJ)

COMPARE the teaching of the school of Hillel in Christ’s day:

[I.15 A] Said R. Kruspedai said R. Yohanan, “Three books are opened [by God] on the New Year: one for the thoroughly wicked, one for the thoroughly righteous, and one for middling [people].
“The thoroughly righteous immediately are inscribed and sealed for [continued] life.
[D] “Middling [people] are left hanging from New Year until the Day of Atonement.
[G] Said R. Abin, “What is the Scriptural [foundation for this]? [Ps. 69:28 states]: ‘Let them be blotted out of the book of the living. Let them not be inscribed among the righteous.’ ‘Let them be blotted out of the book’-this refers to the book of the thoroughly wicked. ‘[… of the] living’-this refers to the book of the righteous. ‘Let them not be inscribed among the righteous’-this refers to the book of middling [people].”-Neusner, J. (2011). The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary (Vol. 6b, p. 83). Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers

Protestants disparage 1st century Jewish Tradition, which Paul the apostle was immersed in and some of which Christ called “treasure”:

Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things new and old.” (Matt. 13:52 NKJ)

Confirming this, if everything the School of Hillel taught is irrelevant why did Christ command His disciples to obey them:

2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat.
3 “Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do (Matt. 23:1-3 NKJ)

Martin Luther’s antisemitism may have laid the seeds for Nazism.

WE shouldn’t follow his lead and be blind to the “treasure” in 1st century Judaism.

There is a reason why God used Paul to write most of the NT. As an expert in law he saw the treasure in 1st century Judaism, he was raised in it:

6 But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, “Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee; concerning the hope and resurrection of the dead I am being judged!” (Acts 23:6 NKJ)

4 “So then, all Jews know my manner of life from my youth up, which from the beginning was spent among my own nation and at Jerusalem;
5 since they have known about me for a long time previously, if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect of our religion.
6 “And now I am standing trial for the hope of the promise made by God to our fathers;
(Acts 26:4-6 NAS)

It is that Jewish context that sheds light on why Paul thanked God: “All [obedient] Israel” would be saved, even those who had died “enemies of the Gospel” will find mercy when Christ comes:

26 and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.”
27 “And this is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins.”
28 From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God’s choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers;
29 for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

30 For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience,
31 so these also now have been disobedient, in order that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy.

32 For God has shut up all in disobedience that He might show mercy to all. (Rom. 11:26-32 NAS)

All who repent and believe, of course.

Last edited:
ADDENDUM

A theory why most of the Christian Church lost this first century concept of salvation after death.

The Gentile Church became confused about eschatology when Aramaic Palestinian Jews vanished from it. The Roman Empire dispersed that culture, only a remnant of Jews remembered what it was. Many uniquely Jewish concepts became unknown.

We see the change when Christian scholar Clement of Alexandria (150-215), who retired to live with the Bishop of the Jerusalem at the end of his life, says:

The Catholic doctrine of Purgatory is a corruption of early Jewish Christian concepts that saw Hades as an intermediate place for the dead that wasn’t necessarily a place of punishment but rather a shadowy realm where souls awaited their final fate. First Century Palestinian Jews believed the dead could undergo purification or purgation in preparation for their eventual resurrection or judgment. NT scripture is in agreement plainly stating the dead will rise from Hades and it will cease to exist:

14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (Rev. 20:13-14 NKJ)
Christ our Teacher (Mt. 23:8) agrees:

25 “Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 “For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
29 “and come forth– those who have done good, to the resurrection of life
, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Jn. 5:25-29 NKJ)
All the dead “in the graves” who obediently “hear” God’s voice will rise in “the resurrection of life” but those who do not “hear” obediently will rise “to the resurrection of condemnation” (John 5:25, 29).

Levi’s descendants are God’s first fruits (Num. 3:41), as God does for them He will do for all who obey the gospel preached ALSO to the dead that they may live according to God (1 Pet. 4:6):

6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:6 NKJ)
The reason why the “Book of Life” is open during the Great White Throne Judgment is to write the names of those redeemed from Hades into the book of life:

COMPARE the teaching of the school of Hillel in Christ’s day:

It is inconsistent with sound hermeneutic exegetes ignore 1st century Jewish Tradition, which Paul the apostle was immersed in (Acts 23:6; 26:4-6) and some of which our LORD Jesus described as “treasure”:

If everything the Pharisees taught was wrong Jesus would have said so. Instead we read:

2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat.
3 “Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do (Matt. 23:1-3 NKJ)

Last edited:
So far, although opinion is dead set against the concept of Hades as depicted by Christ in Luke 16, a place of purgation while a child of Abraham awaits his ressurrection from it, no can produce scripture against this apostolic view.

Amazing, if it were so wrong, that no one treats all the texts I produce in support:

Dt. 32:39 [#A]; 1Sam. 2:6 [#B]; 2Sam. 22:5-7 [#C]; Ps. 16:10-11 [#D]; Ps. 30:1-4 [#E]; Ps. 40:1-3 [#F]; Ps. 49:12-15 [#G]; Ps. 56:13 [#H]; Ps. 68:18-20 [#I]; Ps. 69:13-18 [#J]; Ps. 71:19-23 [#K]; Ps. 86:13 [#L]; Ps. 102:18-22 [#M]; Ps. 116:1-9 [#N]; Hos. 13:14 [#O]; Jon. 2:1-10 [#P]; Zec. 9:9-11 [#Q]; Mt. 12:30-32[#R]; John 5:28-29[#S]; Rm. 11:25-36[#T]; 1 Pt. 3:18-22[#U]; 1 Pt. 4:6[#V]; 1 Cor. 5:5[#W]; Eph. 4:8-10[#I]; Heb. 9:27-28[#X]; Rev. 20:11-15[#Y];Luke 16:19-31[#Z]

I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal

39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
40 For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. (Deut. 32:39-40 KJV)
Literally interpreted “I kill, I make alive” explicitly states God’s power to grant postmortem life to anyone He has killed.

See the rest on my site, just click on any # hyperlink

There is not one verse in Scripture that lends any real support to the idea of a second probation. Its consistent teaching rather is that it is in this world that man’s fate for good or evil is decided, that what the person is at death he continues to be throughout all eternity.-Boettner, L. (1956). Immortality (p. 107). Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company.

"Not one verse", many verses lend support to Postmortem Opportunity for Salvation aka "second probation":

Dt. 32:39 [#A]; 1Sam. 2:6 [#B]; 2Sam. 22:5-7 [#C]; Ps. 16:10-11 [#D]; Ps. 30:1-4 [#E]; Ps. 40:1-3 [#F]; Ps. 49:12-15 [#G]; Ps. 56:13 [#H]; Ps. 68:18-20 [#I]; Ps. 69:13-18 [#J]; Ps. 71:19-23 [#K]; Ps. 86:13 [#L]; Ps. 102:18-22 [#M]; Ps. 116:1-9 [#N]; Hos. 13:14 [#O]; Jon. 2:1-10 [#P]; Zec. 9:9-11 [#Q]; Mt. 12:30-32[#R]; John 5:28-29[#S]; Rm. 11:25-36[#T]; 1 Pt. 3:18-22[#U]; 1 Pt. 4:6[#V]; 1 Cor. 5:5[#W]; Eph. 4:8-10[#I]; Heb. 9:27-28[#X]; Rev. 20:11-15[#Y];Luke 16:19-31[#Z]

I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal
He is stating His Power and what He does.
He has killed people (like the 2 sinners anias&saphira) and He has created people and resurrected people. Remember that boy who fell from a window, died, and was resurrected? And Lazarus? And Jesus????

That just says that He kills people and reurrects people. Nowhere is there a second chance. You just grasp at straws to tickle your ears with.

So why should that verse only back a 2nd chance, but not a 3rd, 4th, or 5th?
Plus, there is no limit on the number of chances in that verse.

Deuteronomy is describing HISTORY and what God will or can do.

17 They sacrificed to demons who were not God,
To gods whom they have not known,
New gods who came lately,
Whom your fathers did not dread.

This is history, as you see.

"And there is no one who can deliver from My hand." So no, once people die, their destiny is set. Or do you conveniently disbelieve this?
Also, your theology makes suicide O.K. if it were true. Just exterminate ourself and repent of sin! How utterly irrational.

If you are going to preach this eartickle ideology to s*icidal people I want to know how you are going to prevent them from doing it. Whatcha gonna tell em????

Why is murdering ANYONE here in this life a sin if we all just magically get a free 2nd chance?

Back