Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians and the Second Amendment

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am so deeply sorry to read this. I hope and pray the LORD comforts you whenever his name surfaces in your heart.

There are a lot of people in America who have arsenals of guns and ammunition and who only intend to do harm (primarily gangs and other criminals). These people are likely to know nothing about the Second Amendment or the Constitution of the United States of America for that matter, and are not God-fearing people. Make no mistake! I am speaking only for law-abiding citizens (God fearing or not) who own firearms for the sole purpose of good.

I own several firearms myself, never killed anyone and have no intention of doing such, unless I was seriously pressured into such a predicament.

My father died at age 50 from a sudden heart attack brought on primarily by his alcohol abuse. This never stopped me from enjoying a few alcoholic beverages of my own from time to time, even to this day ... I just know enough not to abuse the substance.

The same goes with anything else. Guns shouldn't be thought of as bad because someone you knew was killed by one. Why should an inanimate object incapable of functioning on its own take the blame for something a human being had to be behind to make properly function in order to kill?

Your compassion is very gracious. His loss was extremely hard on the members of this forum who knew him. (BTW- you don't talk like a non Christian, what's your story?)

But, I have to agree completely with your statements. It's that old saying, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Being a city girl, gangs are not foreign to me. Using your example, if all guns were outlawed, then they would use knives, if all knives were outlawed, they would use bats, if all bats where outlawed they would use chains, etc etc. How far must the ban go? Outlawing cooking and baseball? It's irrational. (And this is all coming from a Christian who won't touch a gun, mind you.)

Your compassion is very gracious. His loss was extremely hard on the members of this forum who knew him.

But, I have to agree completely with your statements. It's that old saying, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Being a city girl, gangs are not foreign to me. Using your example, if all guns were outlawed, then they would use knives, if all knives were outlawed, they would use bats, if all bats where outlawed they would use chains, etc etc. How far must the ban go? Outlawing cooking and baseball? It's irrational. (And this is all coming from a Christian who won't touch a gun, mind you.)

In response to the underlined: "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." - Unknown Origin

BTW- you don't talk like a non Christian, what's your story

It's a very long story. Let's just for keepsake (to put it in a nut shell) think of me as one of God's soldiers, and I try my best to do what is right every day; I repent daily; use prayer every chance I get in the form of reading scriptures; I attend my local church as often as possible, know my community, attend town meetings; I spread the message of love, faith and charity.

I am nobody special at all. I just from long ago picked a position from where I want to serve God and this is where I currently am residing with my axe to the grindstone.

"Let no man question nor constrain my way for it is righteous in its own."

shot in the head then burnt in his car. he was an south african and it was over skin color as he was white and his murderers were black.

racial tensions. no money was taken.

I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are to you all. Murder is a terrible toll on our humanity.

In response to the underlined: "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." - Unknown Origin

It's a very long story. Let's just for keepsake (to put it in a nut shell) think of me as one of God's soldiers, and I try my best to do what is right every day; I repent daily; use prayer every chance I get in the form of reading scriptures; I attend my local church as often as possible, know my community, attend town meetings; I spread the message of love, faith and charity.

I am nobody special at all. I just from long ago picked a position from where I want to serve God and this is where I currently am residing with my axe to the grindstone.

"Let no man question nor constrain my way for it is righteous in its own."

I liked that quote. I haven't heard that one before. And as far as your "Non Christian" status, you sure seem like a follower of Christ to me, why did you mark you were not a Christian on your profile? It seems this is a growing trend on the forum, lol. :chin

It's easy to assume that, if the same Spirit is filling all of us...then we should all be in lock-step agreement on everything, especially on what the Bible teaches.

Obviously it isn't that simple...and if a reasoned person (atheist or Christian) honestly thinks about it, it really isn't logical to expect that.

Why is it not logical for the Holy Spirit to allow all believers to understand the scripture like each other?
Or, what is the difference between Christians interpreting the scripture opposite from each other versus opposite from an atheist?

I liked that quote. I haven't heard that one before. And as far as your "Non Christian" status, you sure seem like a follower of Christ to me, why did you mark you were not a Christian on your profile? It seems this is a growing trend on the forum, lol. :chin

Because I'm not a christian. I am not a label or to be labeled. I may be a follower of Jesus Christ yet I'm not a label. I am simply a God-fearing soul, and even that is not my label. I hope you can understand this.

Why is it not logical for the Holy Spirit to allow all believers to understand the scripture like each other?

Because just because we each have the Spirit, we retain our own, limited understandings, biases, prejudices, preconceptions etc. etc. etc.

:biggrin We are NOT the Borg.

Add to this is the fact that the Spirit meets each of us where we are at...my own response to having a gun and using it is determined by how the Spirit is working in my life...to someone else...someone like Cornelius who lived daily in a violent society, well, the Spirit prompted him to maintain pacifistity as a witness.

Different people, different situations, different walks of life, and the Holy Spirit met us both and work in our lives where were at...add to that the aforementioned biases, preconceptions etc....Christians can be very different from one another

Or, what is the difference between Christians interpreting the scripture opposite from each other versus opposite from an atheist?

Stay tuned for part 2...I have to go.

Because I'm not a christian. I am not a label or to be labeled. I may be a follower of Jesus Christ yet I'm not a label. I am simply a God-fearing soul, and even that is not my label. I hope you can understand this.

Yeah, I understand. I'm simply wondering because it seems to be a growing trend here. I understand your position, as far as labels, but I can't say I entirely agree. Thanks for the clarification.

By your own admission you stated that the OT (and there are several NT passages as well) contradicted your position. Even you, the atheist trying to prove the Bible says something it does not say, admitted the complete and total pacifist position contradicts the Bible

Actually, I said the Old Testament contradicts the New Testament in a large number of places. It doesn't matter which position I took, the bible will contradict that position. And it doesn't matter which position you take, the bible contradicts that, too.

Which is why you and the Amish disagree on such a major point of doctrine. You each have scripture to back you up. You each are Spirit-Filled Believers, and you are each using the bible as your source material. Yet you disagree diametrically. The source of the contradiction is the scripture you each use.

Handy wrote many of the verses in her early page one reply. She noted that they seem to support the position, but these other verses showed something different.

All of this is fine with me, Reba. I have no tie to a certain doctrine, and if verses are shown to say a certain thing, I will happily change my mind, because I have no tie. It does make an interesting discussion to explore though, and is probably why the topic is here, and apparently has been here before, and why Christians themselves disagree on it.

Every statement you have made about me being unable to understand must be also made to other christians who also interpret it that way, so the fact of my atheism is not terribly relevant, since you can remove me from the argument and pretend an Amish person is telling you their interpretation. Or any other sect of Peaceful Society.

It's an interesting question, whether the scriptures speak on the ownership of guns (or manner of self defense).

I'm surprised that an icon like "screwloose" :screwloose is used here, since it's kind of an attack against a person. It's cute, but it is unexpected to see it used.

Because just because we each have the Spirit, we retain our own, limited understandings, biases, prejudices, preconceptions etc. etc. etc.

:biggrin We are NOT the Borg.

Add to this is the fact that the Spirit meets each of us where we are at...my own response to having a gun and using it is determined by how the Spirit is working in my life...to someone else...someone like Cornelius who lived daily in a violent society, well, the Spirit prompted him to maintain pacifistity as a witness.

Different people, different situations, different walks of life, and the Holy Spirit met us both and work in our lives where were at...add to that the aforementioned biases, preconceptions etc....Christians can be very different from one another

So is the message changing or is one of you wrong?
And if the message of Jesus is NOT changing, then how do any of you know that you are not the one who is wrong?

But, the Bible teaches us that we must stand firm in our convictions because whatever is done of faith will not condemn us, but if we doubt and waffle, then we will be condemned.

I am listening to a radio broadcast about the conviction (legal) of Warren Jeffs, who stood firm in his conviction (spiritual) that Jesus was telling him to marry and have sex with 15yo girls. He stood firm throughout the trial that this was what the Holy Spirit guided him to do.

You are suggesting that the bible teaches him that he will not be condemned (by god) for this, because he was so sure of his rightness.

You don't need to answer that. It was just something I was hearing as I read your words here that I quoted. And it made me wonder how that works.

It's directly applicable to this thread, I suppose, because we are talking about being convinced by the holy spirit of something that may have been a misunderstanding, but standing firm to that, regardless, to show faith in your convictions.

Actually, I said the Old Testament contradicts the New Testament in a large number of places. It doesn't matter which position I took, the bible will contradict that position. And it doesn't matter which position you take, the bible contradicts that, too.

Which is why you and the Amish disagree on such a major point of doctrine. You each have scripture to back you up. You each are Spirit-Filled Believers, and you are each using the bible as your source material. Yet you disagree diametrically. The source of the contradiction is the scripture you each use.

Handy wrote many of the verses in her early page one reply. She noted that they seem to support the position, but these other verses showed something different.

Scripture in no way contradicts itself, and that is one thing, ALL believers will agree on. Man's doctrines contradict, but not the Word of God. This is the belief of all Christians who revere the Bible.

All of this is fine with me, Reba. I have no tie to a certain doctrine, and if verses are shown to say a certain thing, I will happily change my mind, because I have no tie. It does make an interesting discussion to explore though, and is probably why the topic is here, and apparently has been here before, and why Christians themselves disagree on it.

Every statement you have made about me being unable to understand must be also made to other christians who also interpret it that way, so the fact of my atheism is not terribly relevant, since you can remove me from the argument and pretend an Amish person is telling you their interpretation. Or any other sect of Peaceful Society.

It's an interesting question, whether the scriptures speak on the ownership of guns (or manner of self defense).

I'm surprised that an icon like "screwloose" :screwloose is used here, since it's kind of an attack against a person. It's cute, but it is unexpected to see it used.

There's no point in reasoning the Bible, with someone who does not hold it's Author nor it's message in esteem. The difference between the atheist and the Amish or Peaceful Society sect is that they have invited the Holy Spirit into their lives. A discussion with such a believer can reap fruitful results. A believer will seek the Lord, use the Word, and spend countless hours in prayer seeking His knowledge and understanding. To the atheist, this is nothing but a "nice" discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the message changing or is one of you wrong?
And if the message of Jesus is NOT changing, then how do any of you know that you are not the one who is wrong?

Excellent questions! :thumbsup

Cornelius and I went head to head (in a loving way, of course) on several subjects where we disagreed about interpretations.

It wasn't because the "message was changing" but because either he, or I, or very possibly both of us weren't fully understanding. I like WIP's username...we are indeed all of us "Works In Progress"...and the Spirit deals with each of us as individuals.

Well, here's the thing...we Christians should...we really should, always take the attitude that "perhaps I might be the one wrong about this"...but...we don't. The fact that we don't is probably the greatest sin of the Church...that invisible, invincible, yet still humanly flawed entity that Christ dearly loves. The Holy Spirit is the Helper of the Church...helping prepare each of us to finally become perfected...but as of now...the Church is far from perfect and her imperfections are a source of much confusion.

Earlier...
Rhea said:

Now there is a real difference here, because without the Spirit the Bible cannot be understood. Without the Spirit the Bible is a contradictory, incomprehensible, even offensive mess.

With all the disagreements that Christians do have, even disagreements on very important issues...Christians are united on essential things. Atheists really aren't going to be able to grasp the essentials without the Spirit.

This might, on the surface, sound insufferably arrogant...but really it's a statement of humility. I am in no way smarter than you...probably nowhere near as...but, because I do have the Spirit, He enables me to see truths in the Scripture that will not make sense to you or other non-believers.

I am listening to a radio broadcast about the conviction (legal) of Warren Jeffs, who stood firm in his conviction (spiritual) that Jesus was telling him to marry and have sex with 15yo girls. He stood firm throughout the trial that this was what the Holy Spirit guided him to do.

You are suggesting that the bible teaches him that he will not be condemned (by god) for this, because he was so sure of his rightness.

You don't need to answer that. It was just something I was hearing as I read your words here that I quoted. And it made me wonder how that works.

It's directly applicable to this thread, I suppose, because we are talking about being convinced by the holy spirit of something that may have been a misunderstanding, but standing firm to that, regardless, to show faith in your convictions.

The thing about Jeffs goes back to what I said in my previous post about Christians being very united on essential things...and one thing I think, if you could determine who every truly Spirit-filled person out there is, and ask them about it, we would all agree...Jeffs is not a Christian.

I'm not engaging in the "No True Scotsman" debate tactic here. The LDS and even more so the FLDS are not recognized by Christians as being part of the Church. They simply do not preach the Christ of the Bible...that is why they have the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price...to "interpret" or more correctly, redefine the Christ of the Bible.

It's sort of like political RHINO's or DINO's ..."Republican In Name Only" "Democrat In Name Only"...

Here in Idaho, if one is a Democrat one has very little chance of getting elected...so everyone runs as a Republican. A few years back we had one Representative who was elected as a Republican...

...a Republican who was for abortion, for stringent gun-laws, for raising taxes, for increasing funds to all state agencies, for cutting funds to the military, for heavy state regulation over private property rights....

Get it? She was a RHINO...not because she did one or two things that were against the Republican platform...but because she was diametrically opposed to everything Republicans stand for. However, she put herself forth as a Republican, because she wouldn't have been elected if she had just admitted she was a Democrat.

Jeffs is not a Christian and therefore, whatever voices he was hearing in his head, it wasn't the Holy Spirit...

I'm not saying this because of the "No true Christian" defense...but because Jeffs' theology, when examined by the light of the Scriptures is nothing like what is taught in the Scriptures.

Scripture in no way contradicts itself, and that is one thing, ALL believers will agree on. Man's doctrines contradict, but not the Word of God. This is the belief of all Christians who revere the Bible.

AB-SO-LUTE-LY TRUE!!!!!

At one point in my life I too was a skeptic, but as myself searching the scriptures with impurity at heart I can now understand how anyone can find anything. It takes the Holy Spirit in one's mind, heart and body to truly understand the truth before them. The messages are not even intentionally hidden.

This is where Proverbs speaks of such people who will search for the point of contradictions, or mockery, and yet cannot find anything other than the mud they fell into. It is through-in and throughout.

<SUP>15</SUP> "The way of fools seems right to them,
but the wise listen to advice." - Proverbs 12

<SUP>20</SUP> Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. - Proverbs 13

<SUP>6</SUP> The mocker seeks wisdom and finds none,
but knowledge comes easily to the discerning. - Proverbs 14

<SUP>30</SUP> There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan
that can succeed against the LORD. - Proverbs 21

There are hundreds of more proverbs along the way. The mocker (or non-believer) sees it in the small sense of "What is the true meaning?" Any mocker who takes a chance on faith will understand it all in a completely different way; (filled with the Holy Spirit) their eyes will become wide; they will see and know everything; their old self departs, and they become new.

I'm not engaging in the "No True Scotsman" debate tactic here. The LDS and even more so the FLDS are not recognized by Christians as being part of the Church. They simply do not preach the Christ of the Bible...that is why they have the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price...to "interpret" or more correctly, redefine the Christ of the Bible.

I'm not saying this because of the "No true Christian" defense...but because Jeffs' theology, when examined by the light of the Scriptures is nothing like what is taught in the Scriptures.

He thinks it is. And he claims Jesus is his Saviour. He believes wholeheartedly in God and Jesus. He is using the same certainty that you are to claim what he claims. Whatever justification he has, it is the same one that you are using. That he "hears" God's direction and that is how he knows.

I realize why you would not want to agree with him. But his *method* of belief is the same as what you claim for yours.

And I honestly do NOT mean this as derogatory. It is a look at this discussion and *how* you come to your belief. You believe your point is right and his is wrong, but the *method* you use for deciding is the same *method* that he uses.

So the description of how your method will result in a right answer and how his will result in a wrong answer will need to address what he is doing differently than others. He is very devout.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Reba nails it...

Not every one who says "Lord, Lord" is a Christan. Especially if the "Lord" they are referring to, while they may call him Jesus, bears no resemblance to Jesus Christ.

Rhea, I can understand the confusion that non-Christians have about this...I truly can.

But, let me break down some of this...first of all:

He believes wholeheartedly in God and Jesus.

He believes wholeheartedly in what he refers to as God and as Jesus...but the "God" and the "Jesus" he is referring to has absolutely nothing to do with the God or the Jesus of the Bible. The God of the Bible does not have a "spirit wife" that He has sex with giving birth to spirit babies that have need of humans to have sex down here so that they can come and live on earth...that is just so far disconnected with anything having to do with the God of the Bible. The "Jesus" he believes in doesn't bear any resemblance to the Jesus of the Bible either.

I'm not saying that Jeffs isn't a devout beleiver...I have no doubts of the sincerity of his beliefs...any more than I doubt the sincere beliefs of Osama bin Ladin, or Ghandi, or Confucius. Sincere believers all...just not in the Christian God.

With the LDS and FLDS, the lines get a little blurry because they use much the same language of Christianity...but the words are redefined.

Me...but because Jeffs' theology, when examined by the light of the Scriptures is nothing like what is taught in the Scriptures.

Rhea...He thinks it is.

I think if you could sit down with Warren Jeffs and me and we could discuss for a few hours exactly what it is we mean when we use terms like "God" and "Jesus" and I were to be very clear on what I mean by those terms, you would find that Jeffs would be the first to admit that I don't have what he believes is the truth. He would disagree most vehemently with my simple Biblical explanations and point you to the Book of Mormon, the Doctrines and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price to "correct" my view.

Which is why he's Mormon and not Christian.

Now, if you were to sit down with me and an Amish person...or a Catholic...or a Baptist...or an Episcopalian...and we were to discuss what we mean by "God", "Jesus", you would find that we would be in complete agreement. We might differ on some of the details about salvation...need baptism or not, faith only or works as well....but not about the essentials of who God is and who Jesus is and that Jesus and God are One in the same. Not something Jeffs and I would agree about.

Going back to our little meeting, you, Jeffs and myself...from your POV, Rhea, you can conclude that either Jeffs is correct and I'm wrong, and convert to Mormonism. Or conclude that Jeffs is wrong and I'm correct and convert to Christianity. But, please...don't conclude that Jeffs and I believe the in same God...we don't.

Going back to our little meeting, you, Jeffs and myself...from your POV, Rhea, you can conclude that either Jeffs is correct and I'm wrong, and convert to Mormonism. Or conclude that Jeffs is wrong and I'm correct and convert to Christianity. But, please...don't conclude that Jeffs and I believe the in same God...we don't.

I'd like to correct this, because I think the difference between what I wrote and what you read is very interesting. Interesting because it gets at why believers (of any type) and non-believers have trouble understanding one another.

And relevant to the topic because it gets at the question of whether it's right to be certain the bible is for or against the gun rights, insofar as bible-believers will disagree on this issue.

So the correction: I didn't say that you and Warren Jeffs believe in the same God. What I said was that you and Warren Jeffs use the same method for deciding you are each right about God's will.

I ask you to pause for a moment and understand that I see quite clearly you do not believe in the same god. And it is this obvious fact that makes me question the method of discernment that you both employ. In fact, it's this very thing that non-believers see when they look at teh Catholic Church versus the UCC. The Wisconsin Lutherans versus the Cavalry Church. The Jehovah's Witnesses versus the Southern Baptists. And yes, the Mormons versus the Methodists.

When a scientist wants to know something, they form an idea, and then they try to defeat that idea. They try to come up with tests that would successfully prove it wrong. When (if) they can't prove it wrong, the idea gains some strength. Then they publish it, and allow others to think up ways to try to *dis*prove it. If others are unable to disprove it, they all start looking for corollaries, such as, "well *if* this were true, what would be expect to see? And - do we see that?" It's another form of trying to disprove it. If the idea continues to predict a certain result and scientists are unable to cause a different result no matter how hard they try, then the idea becomes a sound theory and it becomes useful for making decisions about that topic.

This is the *METHOD* used to discover things that are true (or provisionally true and acted upon until new evidence changes it's apparent truth.) This is the process or METHOD that science uses to discern truth.

Now religion, as in Yahweh's view on resistance or gun ownership, you have said is discerned internally. You said you read the scripture and then the Holy Spirit will convince you whether you are right. And that the Holy spirit will convince Warren Jeffs whether he is right, and will convince the Amish and the lutherans whether they are right. AND, you say, the Holy Spirit may convince different groups differently, AND that different groups or individuals will have different abilities to discern (biases and imperfections, you said).

So you have said that something as important as whether or not to use deadly force on human beings does not have an absolute answer in the bible, but will be correctly discerned differently by different people, BUT, you know, that your discernment is more correct than he Amish one. And that Jeffs' discernment that arranged marriages with 15yos, such as was done regularly in the bible is wrong, DESPITE his having used an identical process of discernment as the one you used.

This is confusing to non-believers, who will be forced to conclude, "then your method of discernment is unreliable, and you can no more make a claim about your correctness than you can about his incorrectness, because he used the same method to come to his incorrect conclusion as you used to come to the conclusion you claim is correct." And not ONLY that, but you already told me that as long as it's close to what you think, you can't really be sure you're right because of your bias, while you can be very sure that he is wrong because of his bias.

Many Christians will claim that Mormonism is not Christian because it includes a revelation that they do not believe. And yet the book of revelations used the same method ( a dream) to create a doctrine. The argument for why to accept one and not the other has not procedural difference other than, "we say so" or "we feel that's right" or "it came first".

So this is a fundamental difference between us not in WHAT we think, but in HOW we think. The atheist doesn't actually care much about the details of the bible or doctrine because it must stand in line AFTER the question of HOW do you know it's true. And that question there has never been reproducibly shown. That a person can use this procedure to evaluate EACH religion and Christianity is the only one that will pass. If a person "believes with all their heart and listens to the convincings of their spiritual guidance" and decides upon Wicca, haven't they done all the right things? Believe in whatever religion with all your heart, listen to spiritual guidance and the answer will ALWAYS be Christianity?

The arguments in and about religion often founder on this misunderstanding, where a Christian will accuse the Atheist of mocking (or rebelling against) the bible, when in fact the Atheist is trying to figure out what repeatable method are you using to decide which course is true? What procedure can you follow that will come up with reliably true answers?

And in this discussion of the correctness of lethal self-defense, THAT is my question. HOW are you able to say that there is a biblical message on this when the method you claim - spiritual guidance - provides diametrically opposed answers in various people who are using it correctly?

Reba nails it...

Not every one who says "Lord, Lord" is a Christan. Especially if the "Lord" they are referring to, while they may call him Jesus, bears no resemblance to Jesus Christ.

Rhea, I can understand the confusion that non-Christians have about this...I truly can.

I hope you can better understand the true confusion now. Your answers before showed there was still some misunderstanding. That until Christians can convince each other of the correct answer, they have not shown they have the authority to call atheists wrong on the matter, nor that the atheist method is flawed in any way more than the Christian method.

Your bible in your quote right here shows that even people who think they are following Christ, like you, may be totally missing the boat. I don't see how any christian can read that verse and proclaim they can't be one of the error-filled believers, but are sure someone else is.

Non Christian folks are not going to understand the Scripture or the Christian. Most Christians can well understand the nonchristian because most of us have been nonchristian at one time.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back