Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christians & secular music

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Stuggling with this right now Ive been reading a lot & watching a lot of different views on Secular music its origins, messages (open & Hidden) Even so called " Christian Approved" music I have a problem with because its still formed (in my opinion) after music that is ungodly/anti christ. I dont see how it is okay to still dressed like the world (too tight/loose clothing, gaudy jewelry, make up galore, fake hair, piercings & tattoo's etc) and say you also follow Christ that just does not seem right to me....Im also guilty of piercings & tattoo's.... Im not saying everyone does this but where do you draw the line?? Its all confusing to me where to stand on this issue. Im someone who loves music in general its hard for me to break away but thru prayer I know the chains will be broken. Really tough topic for me....and then that leads into other issues like Tv/ movies/ practically everything if you really think about it. Guess that's why we have the Holy Ghost to lead & guide us into ALL truth.

God is Spirit and those that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit. The reason we are under the new covenant is so we don't have all kinds of written rules like the OC did. There is some secular music I won't listen to and I know what it is, but not ALL secular music is bad, just as drinking wine isn't bad unless you abuse it. You draw the line when God tells you to draw the line. It's NOT at the same place for everyone.

I used to feel the same way regarding those things. Some things, like tight clothing, I still just wouldn't do period and for good reason.
For music, I just kinda have to doubt the things that are said about the music itself.
But I understand what you mean when you say it's a tough subject. It can be.

I've found that I can worship to contemporary Christian music just as much as I can worship to hymns. And while you can get caught up in the beat of the music so that it pleases the flesh, I think it depends upon the condition of your heart. Personally I tend to concentrate more on the lyrics on any given song, Christian or secular.

A lot of the hymns we have today were pretty controversial back in the day. (Some churches felt that the only acceptable worship songs are from the Psalms. Some churches like that still exist today.)
And the music for some of the hymns actually came from drinking songs, originally. (As did the music for The Star Spangled Banner, if I remember correctly. I think that was the case with Yankee Doodle, too. Of course, those are not hymns...but yeah.)

Not trying to tell you what to do. If you think you shouldn't listen to that kind of music, do what you think God wants.:thumbsup For some people it may be best to avoid certain music, if it causes them to stumble.

questdriven:

Yes, I know what you mean.

I think it was William Booth who founded the Salvation Army who said: "Why should the devil have all the best tunes?" in explanation why he thought it was good to put Christian words to secular tunes.

I love the Psalms, though I would feel restricted in any church which sang Psalms only; of these there are relatively few, compared with those where they sing hymns and spiritual songs as well, because these often have content taken from the New Testament as well as the Old.

Re. dress, it's good to dress decently but not to get too knotted up about what other people are wearing also.

Like you said, it's making sure of one's heart that is really important.

Blessings.

I used to feel the same way regarding those things. Some things, like tight clothing, I still just wouldn't do period and for good reason.
For music, I just kinda have to doubt the things that are said about the music itself.
But I understand what you mean when you say it's a tough subject. It can be.

I've found that I can worship to contemporary Christian music just as much as I can worship to hymns. And while you can get caught up in the beat of the music so that it pleases the flesh, I think it depends upon the condition of your heart. Personally I tend to concentrate more on the lyrics on any given song, Christian or secular.

A lot of the hymns we have today were pretty controversial back in the day. (Some churches felt that the only acceptable worship songs are from the Psalms. Some churches like that still exist today.)
And the music for some of the hymns actually came from drinking songs, originally. (As did the music for The Star Spangled Banner, if I remember correctly. I think that was the case with Yankee Doodle, too. Of course, those are not hymns...but yeah.)

Not trying to tell you what to do. If you think you shouldn't listen to that kind of music, do what you think God wants.:thumbsup For some people it may be best to avoid certain music, if it causes them to stumble.

Agreed to each there own as your conscience guides you... I have a huge problem with the word Contemporary.... if you break down the word it does not even go with the word christian after it as I use to explain it to my sister mostly to bug her Ill admit..."They will con you into believing there Christian but its only temporary there Christianity because they will find a way to conform to the world hence Contemporary" but again that just me being mildy serious but mostly joking...but not really :biglol && there is no biblical truth to what Im saying just MY opinion & please do take it with a grain of salt :) Back to the topic ....As for the beats I know that's the most tantalizing part of music it amazes me how many songs I & my peers also sang along to without knowing the TRUE lyrics its quite scary what we allowed ourselves to be subjected to but I guess our ignorance is to be blamed. I look up lyrics now because I want to know what Im saying & agreeing with...thank God for opening up my eyes to the truth.

God is Spirit and those that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit. The reason we are under the new covenant is so we don't have all kinds of written rules like the OC did. There is some secular music I won't listen to and I know what it is, but not ALL secular music is bad, just as drinking wine isn't bad unless you abuse it. You draw the line when God tells you to draw the line. It's NOT at the same place for everyone.

Agreed thank Jesus for doing away with the Laws of the OT...but in my heart I would have to say ALL secular music is bad/ungodly/anti christ Why? because most music has NOTHING to do with Christ even some so called "Christian" music sad to say but again that's my opinion.

Definition of the word Secular sec·u·lar/ˈsekyələr/
Adjective:
Denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis:

Nothing Godly or Godlike about that....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that a lot of the modern Christian music is pretty me-centered compared to hymns. Not all, but quite a few songs. I avoid those songs for worshipping purposes, as worship is meant to be about God and all.
(But for the purpose of just listening, I may listen to them and I often do. That's me, though.)

Re. dress, it's good to dress decently but not to get too knotted up about what other people are wearing also.

Like you said, it's making sure of one's heart that is really important.

Agreed. My mother raised me to respect other people's stances on such things. I had friends who listened to or wore things we disagreed with. I also had friends whose parents were even more restrictive than mine.

I have respect for the more people with more "fundamentalist" views. (I use that word for lack of better wording as it technically just refers to Bible doctrine and by that definition I am still a fundamentalist because I still adhere to that doctrine).
But I have moved away from a lot of those views within the past couple of years. By "those views" I mean things such as, "girls should always wear dresses" and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. My mother raised me to respect other people's stances on such things. I had friends who listened to or wore things we disagreed with. (They used to ask me why I never wore pants. My parents didn't want me to. I do wear pants now, though. Don't agree with my parents on everything.) I also had friends whose parents were even more restrictive than mine.

couple I have respect for the more people with more "fundamentalist" views (I use that word for lack of better wording as it technically just refers to Bible doctrine and by that definition I am still a fundamentalist because I still adhere to that doctrine), but I have moved away from a lot of those views within the past couple of years.

questdriven:

This is interesting; so how do you mean exactly?

I think that what you're saying is very worthwhile; there IS actually a thread on stuff such as pants, etc. where what you are saying might fit, rather than on this one which was started about music.

Blessings.

I edited the post for a bit more clarity. So hopefully it's easier to understand.:)

I was raised with beliefs like, "don't watch shows with magic in them", "alcohol is always wrong", "the only acceptable music is on traditional instruments" (that was mostly my dad's belief, he even disapproved of Southern Gospel), etc.
Little things like that that I've come to disagree with now that I'm older.

These beliefs tend to be associated with fundamentalists. But the actual definition of a fundamentalist is someone who believes five specific doctrines. (The inspiration of the Bible by the Holy Spirit and the inerrancy of Scripture as a result of this, the virgin birth of Christ, the belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin, the bodily resurrection of Christ, and the historical reality of Christ's miracles.)

Not trying to go off topic. Tehe.:lol

Music doesn't have to be "worship" to be Biblical.
My favorite musician is Neal Morse. Here is the first part of his CD Sola Scriptura. It's a retelling of the life of Martin Luther.

[video=youtube;cQhqsczPm1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQhqsczPm1M[/video]

Neal was already a well-established musician before becoming a Christian, and many of his fans have stayed with him even if they aren't Christians. His CDs aren't on Christian labels, and he rarely plays "Christian" events.

I've got no problem with secular music as long as its lyrics don't promote sin.

Everything in world may corrupt or bless: movies, books, musics, or any other art.
Why many christians spend time asking "is right listen to secular music" but these same christians dont ask: "is right watch secular channels" or "is right appreciate secular arts" ?

I think the people is searching for a "easy guide" to check everything is right or wrong, it seems like could have a perfect way to discover what exactly we have to do. The Holy Spirit is among us and he wishes to live inside us, to guide us in these questions... Not because we MUST do christian things, but we need BE christians.

Why is music the only thing in life people seem to want to label secular or Christian...if a Christian plays in the NFL do we call it Christian football ? if a Christian is a doctor do we call it Christian medicine ? Music is Music it can be used for good or bad, there are 12 tones in the Western scale and to the best of my knowledge God has not divided them up into secular and Christian tones, there are no sacred/secular melodies or harmonies or rythms.....there are only people who use or abuse Music to suit their own ends and agendas....same as with any other part of God's creation.

Why is music the only thing in life people seem to want to label secular or Christian...if a Christian plays in the NFL do we call it Christian football ? if a Christian is a doctor do we call it Christian medicine ? Music is Music it can be used for good or bad, there are 12 tones in the Western scale and to the best of my knowledge God has not divided them up into secular and Christian tones, there are no sacred/secular melodies or harmonies or rythms.....there are only people who use or abuse Music to suit their own ends and agendas....same as with any other part of God's creation.
I think the point is moreso to show that there are alternatives to secular music, which often are not something Christians should listen to because of the lyrics. Just like there are Christian movies.

Careers do not have a reputation for being immoral like entertainment often can be. Not in the same way.

I think the point is moreso to show that there are alternatives to secular music, which often are not something Christians should listen to because of the lyrics. Just like there are Christian movies.

Careers do not have a reputation for being immoral like entertainment often can be. Not in the same way.

Professional sports is notoriously trashy yet I have never heard Christian sports figure criticized for being involved with it,layers ? doctors ? the first soap opera was about the lives of Doctors and Nurses and we certainly know about lawyers...there are Christian actors who work in Hollywood and are not criticized for doing so.

The reasons music has been singled out,rock music in particular is because the church was against rock from the very beginning and the fact that it has since its beginning held great influence in the lives of young people...its not like Country music,Bluegrass or Classical music is populated by saints for it certainly isn't,those forms of music were approved by previous generations and that is all that realy mattered...Rock was/is not.

The issue of alternatives is or lack thereof is an issue of individuality,you cannot simply substitute one musicians work for another and say its all the same...there are no substitutes Christian or otherwise for bands like Yes,Genesis,Jethro Tull,Rush,The Beatles,Led Zeppelin,etc,etc

Back