Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Closet Christian Rock Bands?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

It is a violation to misquote or misrepresent another member.

Any personal problems with another member, then deal with it through private messages. No harassing members via PM. No public posting of PMs. Publicly announcing who is on a member's Ignore list is prohibited.
Respect where others are in their spiritual walk, do not disrupt the flow of discussion or act in a way that affects others negatively including when debating doctrinal issues, in the defence of the Christian faith, and in offering unwelcome spiritual advice.

Yeah.
I quite like soft rock, too. It depends.

questdriven:

Sounds anyway like both you and your mom do generally like rock, with your mom more into softer rock/country, while your personal and personality leaning is towards more as a hard rock woman.

(Two cents', which I hope make sense.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Sounds anyway like both you and your mom do generally like rock, with your mom more into softer rock/country, while your personal and personality leaning is towards more as a hard rock woman.

(Two cents', which I hope make sense.)

Blessings.
She does consider rock questionable, and says Charlie Daniels is the only rock she likes.
When my brother began getting into some rock music a few years ago (Crush 40, which does a lot of the theme songs for Sonic games), she was a bit distressed about it. I think it doesn't bother her quite as much now, though. She said recently she just doesn't want us to get into secular rock, like the bands she used to listen to.
Crush 40 is secular, but they're pretty safe and I've told her so.

She does consider rock questionable, and says Charlie Daniels is the only rock she likes.
When my brother began getting into some rock music a few years ago (Crush 40, which does a lot of the theme songs for Sonic games), she was a bit distressed about it. I think it doesn't bother her quite as much now, though. She said recently she just doesn't want us to get into secular rock, like the bands she used to listen to.
Crush 40 is secular, but they're pretty safe and I've told her so.

questdriven:

Yes, well I guess it can be hard sometimes for people to crystallize their thoughts, with good motives, I'm sure, on your mother's part. The fact that Charlie Daniels is an exception which she really likes, maybe mitigates in her mind the rock thing.

I'm sure it can't bother her so much now, like you say. After all, the Skillet CD that she bought you has some tracks that are definitely hard rock, aren't they?

Interesting what you just said, anyway; seems like your mom questions aspects of secular rock, like with bad words, etc.

But what she seems to be doing and saying, without saying so in as many words, is: 'So you've discovered that hard rock does something for you? here's a CD that's Christian rock; I want to encourage you to get into Christian rock if you like rock.'

You see, she's started to respect you now as a woman for whom hard rock is significant and meaningful.

My best guess, anyway. (But what do I know?)

Blessings.

..she just doesn't want us to get into secular rock, like the bands she used to listen to.

PS: questdriven:

Yes, well, there might have been bad words in some of the bands she used to listen to, years ago. Maybe they were quite different from Red or Skillet, though. So this may have been her reason for caution about secular bands.

Blessings.

PS: questdriven:

Yes, well, there might have been bad words in some of the bands she used to listen to, years ago. Maybe they were quite different from Red or Skillet, though. So this may have been her reason for caution about secular bands.

Blessings.
Mainly because she heard later on that some of the bands were associated with the occult.

Mainly because she heard later on that some of the bands were associated with the occult.

questdriven:

Well, yes, avoid this, indeed.

She can't have any such fears about the Christrian hard rock Skillet CD she bought you, though, can she? I strongly doubt it.

Blessings.

Aww, surely you jest! That was a tongue in cheek comment from me. That is a song about being born again. Not a line in it about a woman. Or so it seems to me. :)
Who do you think "The Wizard" is about? Jesus?

Who do you think "The Wizard" is about? Jesus?

Probably not. But I'd be open to hearing what you think Easy Living is about based on the lyrics posted.

Many bands do songs written by different members. Their songs could be written by different people which could give different slants to their overall theme or message? I don't know about the songs of Uriah Heep, I'm shooting in the dark on that, lol.

Mike all highlighted areas above are Past Simple Verb form. Perhaps they started off capitalizing and making their name / millions on the dark side but in later years converted to Christianity like so many of us have. Many people born again have a dark history, but that's what makes God and our Saviour so perfect, they look beyond a persons past. More Christians need to do the same.

Paul, I know you weren't offended by what I said, but I still feel I need to make it clear that this was no commentary on your walk with the Lord. I see nothing inherently evil about metal. I never listen to it, because I don't like it, but the head-banging beat isn't evil, IMO. It's the message that Black Sabbath and Ozzie Osbourne sent and send to impressionable people. I see no way around the evil presence around bands like that.

I'm no one to throw stones at glass houses, though, because I'm sure there are things I pay attention to that other believers would chastise me for. I'll never get too much of Seinfeld and certain shows like that, they they got WAY over the top sometimes.

"Artists" that profit from listeners who are attracted to things of the occult throw serious red flags up for me. There is nothing that brings glory to the Lord in that, IMO.

I see nothing inherently evil about metal. I never listen to it, because I don't like it, but the head-banging beat isn't evil, IMO. ..

Mike: I guess it's the lyrics that count. Some of the Christian Heavy Metal bands have really bold, Christian lyrics.

I think young people need to warned off bands that have a bad message.

But the idea that (and you're not saying this at all, I know) that all Christian heavy metal is to be deemed bad because Christian young people ought to try harder to revert to being culturally old fashioned, is not the sort of message the young people need to receive, either.

Blessings.

Probably not. But I'd be open to hearing what you think Easy Living is about based on the lyrics posted.

Many bands do songs written by different members. Their songs could be written by different people which could give different slants to their overall theme or message? I don't know about the songs of Uriah Heep, I'm shooting in the dark on that, lol.

I would say it could be about a woman. It could also be about "easy livin'" itself. Whoever wrote it was waiting a long time to finally live easy. David Byron died from alcoholism, pretty much. I know that doesn't mean that the song couldn't be about Jesus. Ken Hensley was in a band called The Gods with John Glascock, who went on to join Jethro Tull(I'm not sure if there is any band that bashes Christianity more than Jethro Tull). I mean, imagine if a band tried to promote themselves as Christian rock, and their name was The Gods. How many true Christians would be buying their albums? Lee Kerslake went from Uriah Heep to Ozzy Osbourne. Having said all that, the possibility remains that the song could still have been about Jesus. You do bring up a good point about songs being written by different members. If I was betting in Vegas, if it was somehow possible, I would bet that the song isn't about Jesus. There is a chance I would lose, but that is what I would bet, even though I'm not a gambler.

I've been to a couple that my Pastor's son use to play in, but just not my cup of tea, but great for the youth as many come to Jesus through the witness these bands put out there.

for his glory:

So Christian young people are to be encouraged to support Christian rock concerts, then, rather than the reverse, right?

Blessings.

questdriven:

So how is he doing? and is he listening to more rock now (when mom lets him, I guess)?

Blessings.
I'm not sure what his music listening habits are. I know he likes Crush 40, Skillet, Newsboys, and Whosoever (Christian hiphop/rap group).

I'm not sure what his music listening habits are. I know he likes Crush 40, Skillet, Newsboys, and Whosoever (Christian hiphop/rap group).

questdriven:

Kind of keeps the volume down at mom's instigation, I guess. God bless him, anyway.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back