Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Well Smaller, "there you go again" to quotre President Reagon. You want to bring up "other matters" when I've previously said my point, and only point in this thread has been the "signs" of Mark 16:17,18.

If you've never heard devils cry out of people when you witness to them or others around them, what can I say?

That is in fact a 'following sign' wherever Truth is proclaimed. And yes, it is picking up 'serpents.' They were not crawling on the ground under our feet, but in the ground of mankind. And they are not picked up by 'hand' either. Believers who understand, understand the actions of the left hand and the right hand as part of the Ways of God.

When we read Jesus say those signs follow them that believe, it is in fact a sign that God Himself 'provokes' to confirm the message.

I fail to see how your surmizes on "other matters" confronts Mark 16. Perhaps you should start a new thread on then, but for now I shall hold you to Mark 16.

Have a blest night

Don't know what you are after quite frankly. There has been more than sufficient details exchanged, and a mountain more behind them if needed. Haven't seen you address a single example or observation put forth. Not a one.

Sign.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Smaller

Yes, you have presented "a mountain" of other stuff while ignoring the biggest mountain, the mountain of Mk.16. Tell us, how was the word of God confirmed? I mean the confirmation of God's word in Mk.16:17,18 and 20. Or that of Heb.2:3,4: "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that he heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? Tell us, were the"signs" to follow of Mk.16 merely symbolic, merely figuratively, mere metaphors? Is that what confirmed the word? OR did they actually cast out real demons that could be heard, that could actually take control of ones body? Were those tongues (as on Pentecost ) actual languages spoken? "We do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God" Acts 2: 11. Were they actual tongues or just metaphors? "They SHALL take up serpents", was it just a symbolic thing Paul got hold of while gathering sticks? "They SHALL lay hands on the sick, and they SHALL recover." Did those apostles actually do this and they were recovered? Or is the text generally speaking in a broad symbolic, figurative sence? Tell us. I agree some are used in a figurative sense elsewhere, but contend Mk.16 is otherwise. The word was confirmed with "signs", unmistakable "signs".

Edited

Hi Smaller

Yes, you have presented "a mountain" of other stuff while ignoring the biggest mountain, the mountain of Mk.16.

You are welcome to engage any observation prior made. Not interested in repeating what you don't seem to be able to 'pick up' the first time.

enjoy!

s

Guys how do personal attacks fit with the following......

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

To all posting in this thread drop the personal attacks reba

Pentecostalism-personal attacks Who could possibly think they would be connected???

Pentecostalism-personal attacks Who could possibly think they would be connected???

I assure you our friend smaller, is no "pentecosotal"

But, I am Pentecostal in the sense that the church of I am a member was established on the first Pentecost following the resurrection of Jesus Christ, in the city of Jerusalem.

Wasn't the Holy Spirit also given prior to Pentecost?

John 20:
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost

Hi Smaller

Here we go again! My point was the day the Lord's church was established. It was the first Pentecost after the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. The local was Jerusalem, 30 ad. My point was that inasmuch as the church begin on that day I am Pentecostal in that sense. The point of my post was not and is not whether the Spirit was given prior to Pentecost to the apostles. Please read my post more carefully.

But, since you raise the question I will ask you: Did the promise of the baptism of the Holy Spirit (made by both Jesus and John) occur on the said Pentecost? And, was Christ's church (which He promised to build, Mt.16:18) established on that particular Pentecost?

Again, lest it be misunderstood my original post was that I am Pentecostal in the sense that Christ's church was established on the 1st Pentecost following His resurrection.

God bless

Just making an observation of fact of Holy Spirit given prior to Pentecost.

Nothing more than that. I think we'd probably both agree that the arrival of the Holy Spirit is a continual matter every time someone believes. Timing notwithstanding.

s

And Acts 2:38,39 is our promise of the Holy Spirit today.

Far be it from me to hinder same. It's not possible in my eyes for us to do that.

John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life -

Part of the issues of theology in general is that we all 'hold' Truth in subjectivity, and it is our own subjective filters on these matters that really are just that. The 'sects' themselves all abide in their subjective constructs of various sorts. None see it that way, all thinking they have the whole thing on all matters.

The Spirit and matters of the Spirit are matters that tend to transcend empirical measures as various measures seek to impose.

Belief itself is not something that another person or various methods can really measure, as it is not possible.

We know what we, subjectively, believe.

I know for a fact that I know only in part as does everyone else who believes, and that according to what the Apostles themselves showed to be a fact.

Mutually seeking our Perfect Reflection remains a valid direction for everyone who believes, understanding none of us currently have same.

There is no basis for me to throw stumbling blocks to these:

Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

From there everyone called has to try and sort things out don't they?

s

Far be it from me to hinder same. It's not possible in my eyes for us to do that.

Part of the issues of theology in general is that we all 'hold' Truth in subjectivity, and it is our own subjective filters on these matters that really are just that. The 'sects' themselves all abide in their subjective constructs of various sorts. None see it that way, all thinking they have the whole thing on all matters.

Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

From there everyone called has to try and sort things out don't they?

s

How we pick and choose,

One says because this verse says

That we can throw this verse out:

Mark 16:16 (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

by the very conjugation of the word "and" makes "baptized" a requirement for salvation, yet "believe" has it all covered....

When did the Eunuch rejoice, when after he believed? or after he was "baptized"?

Acts 8:39 (KJV)
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

How we pick and choose,

One says because this verse says

That we can throw this verse out:

Mark 16:16 (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

If there is one thing I've observed about 'judgment' within the general bodies of believers they all reflect only the good upon themselves, and some really get heady about their supposed authority to be able to send other believers into damnation over their doctrinal constructs.

I might reflect that there are more interesting things to reflect on than seeking that upon another believer.

by the very conjugation of the word "and" makes "baptized" a requirement for salvation, yet "believe" has it all covered....

Believing sects who believe one can 'lose' their salvation have so many constructs in place to basically guarantee that can happen it gets quite ridiculous. Their laundry lists and methods to 'let themselves off the hook' are fascinating to observe. Legitimate? Probably not in some eyes. Just your everyday religious megalomaniac. There is a phony power seat there that many fall into. And that trap is purposefully set in the texts.

When did the Eunuch rejoice, when after he believed? or after he was "baptized"?

I have nothing against baptism. Just as I would have nothing against believers who go to church on Saturday or Sunday or who eat pork or don't.

It does however come 'after' faith in Christ in their hearts. If some want to deride the faith installed by The Spirit by such exercises, they have to force out the validity of simple faith scriptures as invalid without their additionally imposed filters.

Repentance remains an internal matter regardless. And was so by the actions of The Spirit of God in Christ in their hearts.

The exercises of external rituals in some eyes make internal things valid.

It might, it might not. It still depends on Who Is on the inside.

That will factually remain beyond the measures.

I had to confront these issues in my own family.

There is only one faith, One Lord and one baptism. Yet numerous baptisms are laid out in the N.T. Some will pick baptism/baptismS up with the total and complete attempt of personal exoneration for themselves and condemnation to other believers.

Even Jews of the Old Testament, faithful Jews who believed, show that repentance is honored by God and is in fact an internal matter regardless of the external claims. Job for example repented in dust and ashes. And God returned His Favor upon him. Far be it from me to deride that man's repentance.

Repentance itself is turning away from evil and having our hearts turned toward God in Christ. It is an 'internal' matter. Yet some will use baptism with the sole intentions of burning other believers alive in fire forever. And any other number of 'rules' for that same purpose. Self justifications and damnation to other believers.

In my eyes they did not fall to far from evil intentions in that effort.

It all depends on what direction the heart of the person reflects.

Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

It might seem good to avoid evil at all costs. To repent is to abhor ones self. Probably not a bad place to stay. If we say "I was washed" therefore my need for repentance is no longer needed we may be just kidding ourselves.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The Spirit of Christ rested upon every prophet of the Old Testament. Zero of them were commanded to dunk first in order for that to happen.

God will come upon whom He Will.

And everyone will have constructs to justify themselves. That's just the way it is.

s

Hi Smaller

The only thing I get out of your post 415 is that you deny the validity of Acts 2:38,39. Rght? Those to whom that was spoken had already believed, Acts 2:36,37, if not, then when they asked in vs. 37 "what shall we do", why didn't Peter and the apostles tell them:"there's nothing you can do to receive remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit, you already believe," BUT, they said NOTHING of the sort, did they?

You bring up Jn.3:36 because it only mentions belief. Question: Is belief there generic? Does it include repentance? If it does, I promise you that through the same door you bring repentance into that verse, the scripture brings baptism. Answer: is Jn.3:36 faith only? Or does it mean the kind of belief which embraces repentance and baptism as well.

Then you use Rom.10:13. Do you not know Paul was writing to those who had already Christrians? Do you not know Paul was writing to those who had already been baptized and raised to a new life, Romans 6:3,4? And did you not notice WHEN that newness of life began? Was it before or after baptism? In fact, the same comments I made above on Jn.3:36 can be made on Rom.10:13.

It appears, sir, you are trying your best to find fault with me. In my original post this morning I said NOTHING about the Spirit or belief. I only said I am Pentecostal in the sense that I belong to the church estab lished on the 1st Pentecost after Jesus' resurrection. Thats all I said. However-----if you desire a one-on-one---ask, and you shall receive.

God bless

Wasn't the Holy Spirit also given prior to Pentecost?

John 20:
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost
If we snip John 7:39 out of our understanding, sure.

But with John 7:39 in mind, this could be our Lord's illustration of how they would receive. Look at the imagery. Jesus breathed on them.

pneuma: wind, spirit
Original Word: πνεῦμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: pneuma
Phonetic Spelling: (pnyoo'-mah)
Short Definition: wind, breath, spirit
Definition: wind, breath, spirit.

When the adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) likewise refers to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.

"And being assembled together with [them], He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," [He said], "you have heard from Me; "for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."" - [Acts 1:4-5 NKJV]

Hi Smaller

The only thing I get out of your post 415 is that you deny the validity of Acts 2:38,39. Rght?

I've said repeatedly that I deny zero scriptures.

How we may reflect on these matters will obviously vary. If history shows us anything it would be that no two reflectors (individuals) are likely to have identical reflections. And I'm OK with that approach.

If we all see in part we will have different reflections. The variance of given light is also very scriptural.

Even in that particular event more light was shed upon and given from Above to some and not as much or even ANY upon others.

To say we are the arbiters of that distribution would not be an accurate reflection in my eyes.

Those to whom that was spoken had already believed, Acts 2:36,37, if not, then when they asked in vs. 37 "what shall we do", why didn't Peter and the apostles tell them:"there's nothing you can do to receive remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit, you already believe," BUT, they said NOTHING of the sort, did they?

People will naturally formulate that matter a number of ways. Stated prior that the Holy Spirit was also given in an entirely different setting in John 20, so obviously there are a number of things to reflect upon. It's always problematic to take individual scripture sets and make them fit all circumstances at all times.

We also know that God has always worked in diverse ways and manners.

You bring up Jn.3:36 because it only mentions belief. Question: Is belief there generic? Does it include repentance? If it does, I promise you that through the same door you bring repentance into that verse, the scripture brings baptism.

The scripture presents MANY forms of baptism as previously noted in this thread.

It is likely that the disciples themselves experienced John's baptism, seeing as how they also baptised after that manner with Jesus, though Jesus Himself baptised no one after that manner.

Yet John and Jesus also spoke to them about other baptismS:

Here are two more to add to the list:

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

In a single scripture set there are THREE to observe. At least in some eyes.

And Jesus spoke to His disciples about this as well:

Matthew 20:22
But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

Obviously and again well AFTER all of their prior water baptism.

Answer: is Jn.3:36 faith only? Or does it mean the kind of belief which embraces repentance and baptism as well.

The only remedy for me to understand 'one baptism' is the placement of believers into His Body via faith. That's how I see it. That's how I also experienced it. I can only speak to what I know and experience and what my own conscience has to find peace with. I find no peace in bringing condemnation into my heart to other believers over these matters. Some get their jollies on those angles. I don't.
Then you use Rom.10:13. Do you not know Paul was writing to those who had already Christrians?

I tend to be substantially more liberal in my sights on the above and as to 'who' actually 'does so.' If a believer claims to be one and does NOT so, then I might question their validity of walk. If we read Paul who clearly in my eyes, says everyone who does what he states thereby fulfills every command, it would also put the external exercises into a lesser form of light in my own eyes. If you say any believer can not do that and thereby fulfill unless they are baptized after your certain fashions, I'd probably have to disagree on the basis of Spirit in Love Actions in that believer.

Do you not know Paul was writing to those who had already been baptized and raised to a new life, Romans 6:3,4? And did you not notice WHEN that newness of life began? Was it before or after baptism? In fact, the same comments I made above on Jn.3:36 can be made on Rom.10:13.

Please see prior comment. There is no way that external baptism can stop any believer from moving into what Paul directs in Romans 13:8-10.

Paul himself notes that there is in fact only 'one thing' that counts for any believer.

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

I might add that 1 Corinthians 12-13 lays out the exact same lines.

We all know for a certain fact that God Is Love and that Love NEVER fails.

You can focus on any other matter you see from there. It wouldn't matter to me one bit by any comparative measure.

It appears, sir, you are trying your best to find fault with me.

I've also said many times here that I believe everyone who has called upon the Lord in faith to save them is saved in my eyes. So there is NO condemnation in my hands toward you, period, nor can there be.

How we may reflect on these matters is going to by nature of imperfect and limited sights, going to be different. But in my view, if you are saved, even if you don't believe that yourself, there is zero intentions of harm or even fault to be found. I have another direction to move in for judgments that does not involved potentially casting my fellow believers into burning alive forever. If you are seeking proponents of that intentions you'd be looking to the wrong guy. I don't celebrate His life by bringing condemnation to you and I'm not interesting in bringing same into myself to other believers.

In my original post this morning I said NOTHING about the Spirit or belief. I only said I am Pentecostal in the sense that I belong to the church estab lished on the 1st Pentecost after Jesus' resurrection. Thats all I said. However-----if you desire a one-on-one---ask, and you shall receive.
God bless

Great.

We only have one measure to know who is who don't we?

enjoy!

s

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.â€

Are we suppose to heal the sick + cast out demons? What are your thoughts on this verse? I know there are many supporting verses, so this could be a doctrine to preach,cast out demons, speak in new tongues, and heal the sick?

All we can do is pray for them, if we properly look at the verse:

Mark 16:17 (KJV)
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

the "them" in this verse is the antecedent, therefore we have to go back to the noun or pronoun and in this case the "them" is the eleven... (Apostles)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back