Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

easy believism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I suppose so, but first, what could a man be put on a cross for and what constitutes a criminal?
Firstly, for a non-citizen, aka Jew, looking at a Roman officer wrong could probably earn you crucifixion. As for what constitutes a criminal, is that even relevant on this one?

If one is hungry, and nobody will give him food, is he a criminal for stealing to eat?
I don't see any of this written. What would this have to do with this particular thief? The kind you are talking about concerned only with eating would be out in the country where the food is, taking a bit of produce and poaching game, not in the city taking risks.

We do know that the man understood he deserved to be there and Jesus didn't. That speaks volumes to his heart.

We dont know the man's crime, but we do see his heart. His belief was made known by his actions. He rebuked the other thief, and he confessed his sin. That's not easy believism. Its faith in action.
You won't find any argument from me. If it wasn't clear, I do think that the term itself is made up and designed for wicked combat. It's just another way for people to think they can legal-beagle their way around Romans 14:4. Why in the world anyone would want to actually put a tag on someone like this when they aren't the knower or judge of everything unseen is beyond me. Well I mean I understand why certain religious leaders would be like that, but not average people.

Would you agree that repentance and faith are synonymous? How can one repent if they don't believe. How can they believe in Salvation if they don't repent of the sins that would otherwise damn them?
I believe the process is called Monergism. Regenerated by the holy spirit alone. Not by any works I may seek to do to accomplish that. Which is Synergism.
As for verses, Acts 20:21, Acts 11 and particularly verse 18. 2nd Peter 3 and particularly verse 9 and 2nd Timothy 2 and particularly verse 25.

Agreed.

Salvation isn't a license to sin. 1 John 5 is a great teaching concerning the status of the redeemed.
However, if we do falter we have an advocate with the Father in Heaven. Our sins are not counted against us so as to lead to death as they did before we were saved.
And as we know those who are in Christ do not make a habit of sinning. 1 John 3:9

I tell the truth because I am now a temple housing the holy spirit that guides me toward all truth. It would be contrary to that leading if I were to act as that which is adverse to the holy.

Moral character isn't works. We are serving God's plan as Christians but we are not working to stay saved.
I agree with the spirit of your post.
I do parse belief, faith and repentance though.
One can believe in moral character, but never have the courage to live it out. This is where faith can really give us strength to live out our beliefs. Abraham is an excellent example. He believed Gods promise, and he believed it would come through Issac. But it took faith to take his only son, whom he loved and through which the promise came to Mt. Moriah. Abraham didnt fo this without question, but reasoned God would resurrect his Son.
Faith causes us at times to rethink the world we live in, and when we live out our faith, it solidifies Gods promises.

This can occur through repentance as well. Our flesh tells us one thing, and Gods word another. As a personal example, God frowns on pre-maritial sex. The body says something else. My first wife and i slept together on the second date. That marriage failed miserably. My second marriage is different. It was the fear of God only that kept us pure till our wedding night. I didnt understand why God was that way, I didnt understand it when my body told me otherwise. But I had faith God's way was better. And it is. I did marriage my way the first time, I'm trying to do it Gods way this time. That's a picture of repentance, and it started with believing God when my body told me different, but it took faith to live it out.

And where is the grace? It's in the footprints across the sand.

I agree with the spirit of your post.
I do parse belief, faith and repentance though.
One can believe in moral character, but never have the courage to live it out. This is where faith can really give us strength to live out our beliefs. Abraham is an excellent example. He believed Gods promise, and he believed it would come through Issac. But it took faith to take his only son, whom he loved and through which the promise came to Mt. Moriah. Abraham didnt fo this without question, but reasoned God would resurrect his Son.
Faith causes us at times to rethink the world we live in, and when we live out our faith, it solidifies Gods promises.

This can occur through repentance as well. Our flesh tells us one thing, and Gods word another. As a personal example, God frowns on pre-maritial sex. The body says something else. My first wife and i slept together on the second date. That marriage failed miserably. My second marriage is different. It was the fear of God only that kept us pure till our wedding night. I didnt understand why God was that way, I didnt understand it when my body told me otherwise. But I had faith God's way was better. And it is. I did marriage my way the first time, I'm trying to do it Gods way this time. That's a picture of repentance, and it started with believing God when my body told me different, but it took faith to live it out.

And where is the grace? It's in the footprints across the sand.
Great testimony. :yes

Do you think someone is able to hold faith if they are immoral?
What do you think about those scriptures, and debates among Christians, concerning the scriptures that teach against divorce?

No one is regenerated by works.

Never the less, as Paul goes on to say in Romans 11.

17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
Romans 11:17-23

• Because of unbelief they were broken off

We are grafted into the olive tree by grace, not by works, however if we fall into unbelief, we may become broken off and removed.

JLB
That passage isn't speaking of the Christian faith. It is speaking to Israel , God's chosen people.

"Verse 29
For the gifts and calling of God, etc. - The gifts which God has bestowed upon them, and the calling - the invitation, with which he has favored them he will never revoke. In reference to this point there is no change of mind in him; and therefore the possibility and certainty of their restoration to their original privileges, of being the people of God, of enjoying every spiritual blessing with the fullness of the Gentiles, may be both reasonably and safely inferred.
Repentance, when applied to God, signifies simply change of purpose relative to some declarations made subject to certain conditions. See this fully explained and illustrated by himself, Jeremiah 18:7-9. "

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/romans-11.html

That passage isn't speaking of the Christian faith. It is speaking to Israel , God's chosen people.

"Verse 29
For the gifts and calling of God, etc. - The gifts which God has bestowed upon them, and the calling - the invitation, with which he has favored them he will never revoke. In reference to this point there is no change of mind in him; and therefore the possibility and certainty of their restoration to their original privileges, of being the people of God, of enjoying every spiritual blessing with the fullness of the Gentiles, may be both reasonably and safely inferred.
Repentance, when applied to God, signifies simply change of purpose relative to some declarations made subject to certain conditions. See this fully explained and illustrated by himself, Jeremiah 18:7-9. "

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/romans-11.html

If I'm not mistaken, The letter to the Romans was written to the Church.

Paul is addressing the Church at Rome, in which he addresses the principle of faith for both Jew and Gentile.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. Romans 11:19-22

JLB

If I'm not mistaken, The letter to the Romans was written to the Church.

Paul is addressing the Church at Rome, in which he addresses the principle of faith for both Jew and Gentile.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. Romans 11:19-22

JLB
I think you're making a mistake to not read the commentary on verse 29 and after you brought it up.

Jeremiah 18:7-10 "At one moment I might speak concerning a nation or concerning a kingdom to uproot, to pull down, or to destroy it; [8] if that nation against which I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the calamity I planned to bring on it. [9] "Or at another moment I might speak concerning a nation or concerning a kingdom to build up or to plant it; [10] if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it.

I think you're making a mistake to not read the commentary on verse 29 and after you brought it up.

Jeremiah 18:7-10 "At one moment I might speak concerning a nation or concerning a kingdom to uproot, to pull down, or to destroy it; [8] if that nation against which I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the calamity I planned to bring on it. [9] "Or at another moment I might speak concerning a nation or concerning a kingdom to build up or to plant it; [10] if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it.

[edited] Reviewing the actual scripture that I posted, in which you said this pertained to Israel, then I posted it again pointing out that Paul was indeed addressing the Church, and teaching them a lesson using his countrymen as an example.

How is reading the commentary going to change what Paul said?

JLB

Last edited by a moderator:

You ask me to explain. Very well. The things you called miracles in that post are a far cry from the miracles recorded in the NT, for example: raising the dead, healing the lame etc. Plus they were done instantly. Nothing today even comes close and we can put it to the test. Below is my signature.

TO BE DEEP IN SCRIPTURE IS TO CEASE BEING CATHOLIC, PROTESTANT, JEW AND CALVINIST

Reactions: JLB

What do you think about those scriptures, and debates among Christians, concerning the scriptures that teach against divorce?
I think that we have a patient Father and each of us has been given a different measure of faith. We see with all the greats in Hebrews 11 that they all stumbled with their faith. Even David had a good man murdered after having sex with the man's wife. But he repented because he was struck to the heart, and he grew from it.
Jesus talks about having the faith of a mustard seed... it's still faith.

As far as divorce, that's a big subject for some. Personally, I felt a release when my divorce was finalized. I didnt need the Bible to tell me my divorce was biblical, and I dont need the bible to justify my divorce. We are all accountable for our actions and lack of action.

God hates divorce, and I understand why. I hate them too.

what do you describe as immoral ? as christian we have a ADVOCATE what does scripture say
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

this is the part where man wants to be judge and say who is saved and who is not . when the Bible says in those days days God will judge the secrets of man heart by his son Christ Jesus. we all should be asking God to forgive us every time we fail /sin fall short of his Glory .. thank God i dont have to ask man if i can be forgiven or if i am saved ..i can approach the throne of Grace with Boldness at any time 24/7 just as i am with out one plea

1 John 2:1-3

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

You mean to tell me that by simply confessing our sins, He forgives us and cleanses us from ALL unrighteousness?

That’s hard to believe! We must have One great Savior then huh?

You are from God, little children, and you have overcome them, because greater is the One in you than the one in the world.
1 John 4:4 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 John 4:4&version=DLNT

You mean to tell me that by simply confessing our sins, He forgives us and cleanses us from ALL unrighteousness?

That’s hard to believe! We must have One great Savior then huh?

You are from God, little children, and you have overcome them, because greater is the One in you than the one in the world.
1 John 4:4 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 John 4:4&version=DLNT

hello chessman, dirtfarmer here

I noticed the conversation between you and Ezra, I have a question for both you and Ezra: If when you were saved was your future sins covered by the blood? Scripture does state that "ALL" sin was covered, does that mean future sin was under the blood at that time?
Think about this: Where is scripture is a believer called "sinner"? If when we were saved we were translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear Son, are we still sinners? I didn't ask if we still commit sin, but are we still sinners? I find that believers are called saints, not a sinner still that is saved by grace.
In my study I have not found where a believer is called "sinner", but I do find where the believer is called saint. I know that Paul, according to the King James bible, state that he was "chief sinner". If you study that scripture it states that Paul was the first to understand a sinner saved by the risen savior is called "saint", and not "a sinner saved by Grace" but past tense, "was a sinner but now called saint.

hello chessman, dirtfarmer here

I noticed the conversation between you and Ezra, I have a question for both you and Ezra: If when you were saved was your future sins covered by the blood? Scripture does state that "ALL" sin was covered, does that mean future sin was under the blood at that time?
Think about this: Where is scripture is a believer called "sinner"? If when we were saved we were translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear Son, are we still sinners? I didn't ask if we still commit sin, but are we still sinners? I find that believers are called saints, not a sinner still that is saved by grace.
In my study I have not found where a believer is called "sinner", but I do find where the believer is called saint. I know that Paul, according to the King James bible, state that he was "chief sinner". If you study that scripture it states that Paul was the first to understand a sinner saved by the risen savior is called "saint", and not "a sinner saved by Grace" but past tense, "was a sinner but now called saint.

Yes sir.

Those who are born again are called saints, not sinners.

Jesus is separate from sinners.

For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; Hebrews 7:26

JLB

I have read through some of the comments in this thread and to be quite honest, I do not know what the purpose of it is. What is it we think we are discussing, or what are we trying to accomplish by debating a term such as "easy believism"? Are we talking bout how easy it is to have or walk in Faith? Why Jesus said that if you had the faith the size of a mustard seed, then you should be able to say to that mountain be thou removed. If believing is so easy that we would criticize others in their faith, then it should be easy for you to say to that mountain be thou removed. Have you tried moving that mountain yet? How easy did you find it? Or do you even know which mountain it is that you should say be thou removed to?

A young girl I am mentoring at work was taking a few minutes this morning to finish up something she was working on for her church youth group. I asked her what it was she was going to be discussing. She told me it was the story about the faith of the man with palsy that couldn't get to Jesus, so his buddies cut a hole in the roof and lowered the man down upon his bed. I didn't recall the story the way she told it to me, so I asked her which book and chapter. She was referring to the story in Mark 2.

In a way, I think that scripture is quite appropriate for establishing what we wish define as "easy believism".

Which is easier: Is it easier to say your sins are forgiven you? Or is it easier to say Rise and Walk, your faith has made you whole?

It is a question the Pharisees could not answer. It should be easy to say your sins are forgiven you, for those words alone can provide comfort; but to say rise and walk, that requires the power of God to back it up.

Jesus left us with a command, he said to forgive one another as I have forgiven you. How many people actually believe they have the power to say to another "your sins be forgiven you"?

Why it is so much easier for people to believe in the wrath of God against an unbelieving people than it is to believe His salvation has already been granted them?

I have read through some of the comments in this thread and to be quite honest, I do not know what the purpose of it is. What is it we think we are discussing, or what are we trying to accomplish by debating a term such as "easy believism"? Are we talking bout how easy it is to have or walk in Faith? Why Jesus said that if you had the faith the size of a mustard seed, then you should be able to say to that mountain be thou removed. If believing is so easy that we would criticize others in their faith, then it should be easy for you to say to that mountain be thou removed. Have you tried moving that mountain yet? How easy did you find it? Or do you even know which mountain it is that you should say be thou removed to?

A young girl I am mentoring at work was taking a few minutes this morning to finish up something she was working on for her church youth group. I asked her what it was she was going to be discussing. She told me it was the story about the faith of the man with palsy that couldn't get to Jesus, so his buddies cut a hole in the roof and lowered the man down upon his bed. I didn't recall the story the way she told it to me, so I asked her which book and chapter. She was referring to the story in Mark 2.

In a way, I think that scripture is quite appropriate for establishing what we wish define as "easy believism".

Which is easier: Is it easier to say your sins are forgiven you? Or is it easier to say Rise and Walk, your faith has made you whole?

It is a question the Pharisees could not answer. It should be easy to say your sins are forgiven you, for those words alone can provide comfort; but to say rise and walk, that requires the power of God to back it up.

Jesus left us with a command, he said to forgive one another as I have forgiven you. How many people actually believe they have the power to say to another "your sins be forgiven you"?

Why it is so much easier for people to believe in the wrath of God against an unbelieving people than it is to believe His salvation has already been granted them?

Jesus' words alone, no ONE of anyone else. It would be good to NOT pitch paul at another servants words against the master him Lord Jesus Christ. here is WHY easy believism doctrine is straight from the devil. Please reply with Christ's words alone /\ . after all the MASTER cannot be countered contradicted or explained by His servant.

Matthew 7:21 New International Version (NIV)

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 25 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
25 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

Jon 6: 42-----

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

John 14:15

"If you love me, KEEP my commands.

Matthew 18 New International Version (NIV)
The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Causing to Stumble
6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! 8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

The Parable of the Wandering Sheep
10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.[11] [a]

12 “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.

Matthew 7 New International Version (NIV)
Judging Others
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Matthew 7:24-27 New International Version (NIV)
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Matthew 5:29

If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Revelation verses ( after Jesus has departed )

Luke 9:23 ►

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Revelation 22:12 ►

"Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. To him who overcomes I will give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of my God.
Revelation 2:7

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. He who overcomes won’t be harmed by the second death.
Revelation 2:11

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. To him who overcomes, to him I will give of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written, which no one knows but he who receives it.
Revelation 2:17

He who overcomes, and he who keeps my works to the end, to him I will give authority over the nations.
Revelation 2:26

He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Revelation 3:5

He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will go out from there no more. I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God, and my own new name.
Revelation 3:12

He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne.
Revelation 3:21

He who overcomes, I will give him these things. I will be his God, and he will be my son.
Revelation 21:7

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back