Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"exposing" popular Christian teachers/preachers

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Ok, first of all - Hal Lindsey - oh, that guy. Did he EVER write or predict ANYTHING that came to pass?

So a "futurist" is anyone who believes in a rapture, pre-post or mid-rapture???? Is THAT it?
Good morning sir,
I don't go there. The Catching Away, Rapture, has naught to do with my usage of the term. If I were better educated I'm sure I could find a co-locally accepted term but in my usage I was speaking of some teachers that after the rapture, have Jesus restoring the Levite Priesthood and the sacrifice for sin system.

Matthew 5 a mega church?
Ok I have refrained comment for days.

Is this a trick question? Are you looking at the literal sermon on the mount, or are you looking at what the teaching became off in the future? I have to watch what you are implying. I appreciate your comments (often loaded with more than just surface wisdom).

The literal sermon on the mount might (IMHO) been to
150(?) people. When Jesus taught the multitudes he used parables almost exclusively (Mark 4 and Matthew 13).
Mark 4:34
Describes how he spoke to his close disciples.

Matthew 4-7 is almost devoid of parables (Jesus just teaches on gut level).
IMHO the multitude was left at the bottom of the mountain and just the close group went up the mountain. I have heard stories about a natural theater that allowed the multitudes to hear, but the lack of parables is the greater indicator here (IMHO again).

The kingdom teaching to the disciples; became the basis for the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ (the real mega church).

In Matthew 8 Jesus returned to the multitudes at the bottom of the mountain, and the parables resume (even physical healing is parable like).

eddif

Ok I have refrained comment for days.

Is this a trick question? Are you looking at the literal sermon on the mount, or are you looking at what the teaching became off in the future? I have to watch what you are implying. I appreciate your comments (often loaded with more than just surface wisdom).

The literal sermon on the mount might (IMHO) been to
150(?) people. When Jesus taught the multitudes he used parables almost exclusively (Mark 4 and Matthew 13).
Describes how he spoke to his close disciples.

Matthew 4-7 is almost devoid of parables (Jesus just teaches on gut level).
IMHO the multitude was left at the bottom of the mountain and just the close group went up the mountain. I have heard stories about a natural theater that allowed the multitudes to hear, but the lack of parables is the greater indicator here (IMHO again).

The kingdom teaching to the disciples; became the basis for the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ (the real mega church).

In Matthew 8 Jesus returned to the multitudes at the bottom of the mountain, and the parables resume (even physical healing is parable like).

eddif
How are we to assume only150 people?
There were way more than 3,000 listening on the Day of Pentecost..................... and the Mount of Olives was NOT way out of town, somewhere. In truth, it is just a 15 or 20 minute walk East of Jerusalem. That was nothing to those people... just a leisurely stroll. It's not hard to see at least a thousand of His followers there with Him.

Last edited:
Of course that was Matthew 5-7 was almost devoid of parables.

One reason the passage was brought up; the description of true kingdom behavior. Jesus takes them aside and describes a person who is:
Non ego driven - poor in his concept of fleshly self
They mourn over all sin - theirs and others
They are meek - led into truth
Seek righteousness - the righteousness of Christ
Merciful - even if it takes church discipline
Pure in heart - realize natural heart is stony heart
Peacemakers - true peace that takes honesty

The multitudes heard about poor people, and in most cases had no hint it was about poor in spirit. The multitudes watched physical healing and did not know the (rise and walk) was to show he could forgive sins.

5-7 is pretty straight forward. I imagine we had rather stay in parables; so we can ascribe our meaning on them.

I try and explain
Romans 1:19-20
Especially human body symbolism. It would be easier to just just leave creation alone, but I sought to get away from hearing different doctrines of men. Since I know the temptation to run wild with the concepts; I wind up looking at my failures to temper the discussion. We will be changed at the last trump, but till the resurrection we still have the body of sin to deal with.

eddif

How are we to assume only150 people?
There were way more than 3,000 listening on the Day of Pentecost..................... and the Mount of Olives was NOT way out of town, somewhere. In truth, it is just a 15 or 20 minute walk Southwest of Jerusalem. That was nothing to those people... just a leisurely stroll. It's not hard to see at least a thousand of His followers there with Him.
Acts 1:15
This is a parenthesis verse but the # of disciples was 120.

Again the number of the multitude at the base of the mountain could be great (Jesus saw the multitude at the base of the mountain and headed up the mountain. The disciples followed him up the mountain.
Matthew 5:1-2
He taught them (IMHO the disciples that followed him up the mountain (no great number of parables In Matthew 5-7 signifies no probable multitude).

Matthew 8:1-2
Off the mountain and walking a multitude rolled him (they had waited at the bottom of the mountain).

Then he enters Peter's house (no real perables).

Matthew 8:18
The multitudes again, and the parables start with
Matthew 8:20.

It is tough telling when the multitudes are present. Matthew 13 and Mark 4 explain when Jesus usually spoke in parables. On occasion Jesus would give a parable with explanation to the disciples.

Tradition says Jesus used parables to teach, but the text given shows differently. Another sign of error in some. Heresy can arise with our use of our meaning for parables (thus the reason for identifying multitudes).

eddif

Mat 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people (not the disciples ) were astonished at his doctrine:

In my thinking Jesus used the mountain like an amphitheater... Could be years of colouring Sunday School papers :shrug

150 is a mega church to me... country girl....
So it wasn't a trick question?

I can get off on parables too quick sometimes. Willie T is correct on a large # at the base of the mountain (mega church). Today we can use parables to teach (greater things than these shall we do).

If I get snappy, just put that rolling pin (in love) up side my head. Details are good, but knowledge tends to puff up. No one may care about tracking when Jesus is privately teaching and publically teaching.

eddif

I was thinking..... Mt. Scopus (aka: Mt of Olives) isn't very far across the Kidron Valley, as the crow flies, from the old city. (Maybe 300 - 500 feet) It MIGHT have been possible for people in the city to have heard Him, too. It really is a very small area over there. The Mt. of Olives is not very tall, either...... at the most, 300 feet higher than the Temple.

Mat 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people (not the disciples ) were astonished at his doctrine:

In my thinking Jesus used the mountain like an amphitheater... Could be years of colouring Sunday School papers :shrug
It may not make a total lot of difference. The disciples (probably the 12) had to ask what the parable of the sower meant ( they did not get it either). Jesus had to tell the 12 plainly what was happening at times.

I think the extra folks I mentioned were the extra people.
And
Like I said it is hard to tell exactly when he went from group to group.
People does not have to be multitudes.
Again tradition says the disciples were getting the meaning of parables, but the disciples were asking what a parable meant ( showing they were not on top of everything).

Enough of this.

eddif

I was thinking..... Mt. Scopus (aka: Mt of Olives) isn't very far across the Kidron Valley, as the crow flies, from the old city. (Maybe 300 - 500 feet) It MIGHT have been possible for people in the city to have heard Him, too. It really is a very small area over there. The Mt. of Olives is not very tall, either...... at the most, 300 feet higher than the Temple.
Matthew 13:34
All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Jesus talked to the multitude in parables Isaiah 6
Jesus explained the meanings to his disciples when they were alone.

Thus reading we find multitudes got parables. (The disciples were given the meaning alone later).

I must be stubborn.

eddif

Yeah, I tried to watch his Amazing Facts TV show, but just couldn't take it.

you most defiantly are not alone :woot2 :wave2 :tongue :dancing:erm :woot3 we're here too...
For the most part, I would agree. And I suppose it is because they really didn't want to hear straight truth, since very few of them ever came to Him, seeking more direct explanations.

But, a few were able to see past the fable talk, and some of those did come to Jesus, since He had many followers who were not in the relatively small group of disciples. And we have to believe those that were converted, weren't doing it because they REALLY believed they were going to walk on streets of gold and have pockets full of pearls, etc.

A list of the most dangerous false teachers in America
1. Paul Crouch
2. Pat Robertson
3. Rick Warren
4. Chuck Smith
5. Benny Hinn
6. Robert Schuller
7. Oral Roberts
8. James Swaggart
9. Joel Osteen
10. John Hagee

You can add Mark Driscoll to that list.
Rodney Howard Brown
Jesse Duplantis
Joyce Meyer
Paul White
Every last pastor on the "Preachers of LA" reality show
Creflo Dollar
Kenneth Copeland. (Who owns 5 private jets and who's wife Gloria was giving a sermon wherein she bragged that she and her husband are able to control the weather)
In this piece she says she and her husband hate to fly (their private jet) in bad weather. Well Glo, if you and Ken can control the weather how is it there is ever bad weather? Hmmm?
Published on Jul 28, 2014

This woman is bragging about working witchcraft.

Kathi, could you list what makes each of these people a dangerous false teacher please? Some of them are obvious to me, but maybe not to some other readers. And then a couple of them aren't very obvious to me either. I'd be curious what things you see in each of them that makes them false teachers.

Heres a few things I know of the top of my head.

Rick Warren

Member of CFR propaagnda machine, discourages prophecy in purpose driven life. (Revelation says that the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Christ)
Benny Hinn
Says people are little gods. (genesis 3:5, Psalm 100:3) Also says that each member of the trinity is triune, therefore there are 9 of them. :screwloose2
Joel Osteen
Says mormons are saved, and preaches occult law of attraction.
John Hagee
"Jesus did not come to be the Messiah"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back