Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Christian Rock Satanic ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
One of the things that attracted to me to my church was the music. I realised that churches could be modern and cool, playing the music style that I enjoyed. At this time I was not saved, and during worship I broke down in tears of unexplainable joy. The music had reached me and put me in an intimate place with God. Having been in other traditional churches, I had never felt the presence of the Holy Spirit when singing hymns to an organ. I mean this as no disrespect to traditional churches. Speaking as a young person of 15, the first style of worship attracted me far more than the second. I expect the majority of young people coming from a non Christian background such as myself would have the same views as I did.

A year later I am playing as part of my youth worship team. We always pray before the services, and remind ourselves that this is not a gig, but it is all for God. This is what differs Rock to Christian Rock. Rock groups go out and play a gig, to get themselves known, to earn money for themselves. When a Christian group play, its about God, for taking themselves and their audience to an intimate place through worship.

Remember Christian Rock is just a name. What It really is is Christian Worship, just in different styles. Take an example of lyrics from Hillsong United, A Christian Rock band:

"Jesus, we're living for your name, we'll never be ashamed of you. Our praise and all we are today, take it all."

This? Satanic? The only difference between Christian Rock and Traditional Hymns is the backing. The lyrics are still praising and worshiping God. So really, they are pretty similar. Let different styles of people worship God with their own style of worship.

Richard (15)

Proximity said:
You miss the point as well. We are supposed to LIVE IN THE CULTURE (WORLD) because Jesus did. We aren't going to reach people by singing at them with our 'oh so holy chiors' and by singing our hymns at them!

Every one of the accepted worship songs you hear in church were at one point modern music. The church was once the driving force behind the arts, we were the cutting edge of all things music, painted and sculpted. Since the reformation that has changed and we have created a sense of 'us and them'. Well guess what, we were once them too, and they can be like us.

You wont reach a teenage metal head in almost any other way than by powerful music that they can relate to. I have seen this.

And, what right do you have to tell us what is correct in the eyes of God?

We are not the ones fooled but rather those who are against this movement towards the culture. The devil doesn't want us to reach people. It is common in these times for people to identify themselves by the music they listen to and if we don't accept rock music we don't accept rockers. Now obviously not all rock music is good, and contrary to what you so ignorantly posted, WE AREN'T DEFENDING ROCK MUSIC. We are defending an outlet of that genre that is pleasing to God and one that is as much worship as any hymn sung in churches.

knowtodogood, you offend me by assuming that because we listen and stand up for christian rock music that we don't stand up for Jesus. You are wrong and blinded.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

That doesn't include you.

Face it. They just don't like the music and they are twisting scripture to make it fit their own ideal for what type of music is okay with God. They are talking out both sides of their mouths....chastizing us and judging us to the point of accusing us of "lusting" after another god and even telling us that we've been deceived by Satan. It doesn't get much more judgmental than that.

(1 John 4:1)
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

(John 7:24)
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Preacher, honestly, you tire me. Those last two scriptures lack relevance entirely. One, this has nothing to do with prophesy, two i would hardly call your judgement righteous. I hope this is your last effort to press your limited views on this forum in regards to christian music.

If you believe that God is only worshiped in a traditional hymnal way, then you are limiting what God is capable of.

All your arguments lack validity, and if you think otherwise, please state them in a clear, listed way so that we can shoot them down systematically without having to traverse through the waist deep bull.

I don't like Southern Gospel music, but that does not mean it is satanic. I will admit I despise Christian rock, but again that does not mean it is satanic.

I have a friend that is in a Christian rock band. They are pretty popular actually. They travel all over the country touring. I love my friend but I cannot stand listening to them. Their lyrics are normal lyrics...not Amazing Grace type of lyrics, but they are "normal". It is the loud, can't understand what they are saying thing that I don't like.

People have been saved at their concerts. Is that satanic? We live a changing world and I believe God is using "different" tactics to win souls to the kingdom.

I thank God for this band and others who will go to places that I could never go.

daisygirl said:
I don't like Southern Gospel music, but that does not mean it is satanic. I will admit I despise Christian rock, but again that does not mean it is satanic.

I have a friend that is in a Christian rock band. They are pretty popular actually. They travel all over the country touring. I love my friend but I cannot stand listening to them. Their lyrics are normal lyrics...not Amazing Grace type of lyrics, but they are "normal". It is the loud, can't understand what they are saying thing that I don't like.

People have been saved at their concerts. Is that satanic? We live a changing world and I believe God is using "different" tactics to win souls to the kingdom.

I thank God for this band and others who will go to places that I could never go.

Exactly.

After listening to rock and rap nearly all my life and than being converted into a christian, I stopped liking rock and rap and felt guilty if I ever did. I switched to contemporary christian for the first few years. Now that I am growing more in the Lord I am finding myself questioning whether contemporary christian music is really ok like I thought it was. I have been finding myself guilty listening to certain rock songs who the artist claims to be a christian. Just because a genre is under "christian" does not mean its safe to listen too. Hymms and full gospel songs actually glorify god and sing and give him praise and honor. Alot of the christian music today does not, except for a very few and they only say things about something other than giving god honor and praise. If all the wording is constantly giving god glory, honor and praises it may be ok, if the wording starts to talk about their life or somebody elses you may want to check what your listening too. Do you believe every person who says they are christian or do you believe they are christian by observing their lifestyles? I also see alot of other threads opened like masturbation asking if its ok to do it, as if they would try to get another brother to make them feel better by saying nothing is wrong with it when all along they had a guilty feeling for a reason, because it is wrong. So many people are asking whether or not this type of music is safe to listen too. I dont hear anybody ask if hymms and full gospel music is safe to listen too, because everybody is fully assured it is. If you have no guilt or any bit of questioning whether or not this music is appropriate than why would you even worry about it, however, if you start to question whether this music is inappropriate you may want to stop for a second and open up your ears and try to listen a little more careful as god may be trying to speak to you. If you take some hamburger meat which is all fat and slap a lean sticker on it......does it make it lean or only sound lean? As for the one who eats that meat feels good about it because it says lean when it does nothing good as far as it being lean...hope I dont get off topic too much here, just trying to explain a point. I think some bands in the christian genre are going this way.

Well, J6o7h8n3, it sounds you've certainly come a long way! I believe one's taste in music must be a "generational" thing for the most part although I know of 50 and 60 year olds who like some contemporary and know of teenagers who love Southern Gospel. The lyrics and spirit behind the so called contemporary and "Christian Rock" has a lot to do with their acceptance. As for me, I don't like it, I don't think it glorifies the Lord and personally, don't like the music.

This is not to say that churches or individuals should only sing/listen to "In the Garden" or "The Old Rugged Cross", but; neither should contemporary and the like be the ONLY music in the church just to lure the teenagers and young folks into the church. If that's all they're there for, they won't get much out of the service.

I've been to many of Bill Gaither's concerts and have been blessed by each and everyone of them. He's a big reason why Souther Gospel is as big as it is today but, I have noticed in some of the latest videos and concerts, there seems to be a swing from his "earlier love" to compromising and learning somewhat more to contemporary style. This saddens me very much. Styles of music are just like the many versions of the bible on the market today-they're out to make money. Nothing wrong with making a living and staying in business but, if one has to compromise truth to do it that may be a good time to follow a different avenue. If you read the lyrics of old hyms/Southern Gospel songs over the years, one can readily see the love and experiences of life that prompted writers such as Mosie Lister, Ira Stanphil, and Albert E. Brumley to write what they did. Jim Hill, who wrote that beautiful song, "What A Day That Will Be", and the signature song of first tenor, Rosie Rozelle of the Statesmen Quartet, "Oh, What A Saviour" are dear to my heart as is a more modern and very beautiful song by the Booth Brothers, "Look For Me at Jesus' Feet" are all songs that will stir the soul and prompt a praising of God for who He is.

Just my two cents on this. :)

but; neither should contemporary and the like be the ONLY music in the church just to lure the teenagers and young folks into the church. If that's all they're there for, they won't get much out of the service.

Thats really a thing that bothers me. A previous church I went to which I do not go to now used to give kids christian music CD's if they came the following week to church. I am no longer sure what to think of what the worship music should be, personally I am in the middle myself and agree with what you said not being all the one or all the other, but sometimes I find myself asking do I defend it only because I dont want to give it up....or do I defend it because it truly is ok with God. Its really a difficult subject to say whether its truly right or wrong.

Sounds to me that it is a conviction.

And i can honestly say that i feel no such conviction listening to christian rock.

Proximity said:
If you believe that God is only worshiped in a traditional hymnal way, then you are limiting what God is capable of.
quote]

Not to mention that he (Preacher Boy) discredits the worship of those who came before "traditional" hymns or those who don't have or know "traditional" hymns.

I don't know....maybe he really is smoking that holy marijuana.

Scott said:
I think the real question here is does Christian Rock have a soul to begin with?

Not sure if i'm following you...

But, if you are posing the question, "Is christian rock really about God?" I can garuntee you that some of it is. Not all, people are not perfect enough for that, but i'd be willing to bet that most is. People don't label themselves "Christian (Genre of music)" to make it big because unfortunantly christian bands have a much harder time getting going than mainstream music.

And i've met guys from christian bands and they are as legitimately christian as you and i.

Why do some pick and choose what music is acceptable and was is not? Did not God say that he created everything for His own purpose? Well, Heavy metal can get to a crowd that many can not reach in missions and out reach.. Myself a guitar player and listens to all types of music. I don't have a closed mind, and I know God our Father does not have a closed mind. Therefore it's only opinions that are offered if it is not corsponding with the Bible.

Listen to it hard, fast and loud..

Atonement said:
Why do some pick and choose what music is acceptable and was is not? Did not God say that he created everything for His own purpose? Well, Heavy metal can get to a crowd that many can not reach in missions and out reach.. Myself a guitar player and listens to all types of music. I don't have a closed mind, and I know God our Father does not have a closed mind. Therefore it's only opinions that are offered if it is not corsponding with the Bible.

Listen to it hard, fast and loud..

Ahmen

:lol: ... my question was more in line with is music saveable? Christian tags on inanimate objects just seems silly to me. My understanding is that Jesus died for individual people, and not individual outlets of creativity... songs, cars, pens, t-shirts, bookstores, bands... etc. If Jimmy and Joey Rockstar are saved I'm still not convinced that their band Rockstar Inc. is though. Who knows though, maybe the Big Guy has them booked for a reunion tour in Heaven!?

To be honest with you, there has been so much "God Marketing" by the big Christian Music execs that it sours the very basic fact that music is an art... a form of expression. Don't think for one second there aren't worldly men and women who know those who are buying these cds want to hear God atleast forty times on the cd and in every song. I feel bad for the artist when they sing about their life experience and don't sing the repeat chorus of "Praise the Lord" in their songs and then everyone starts with the "whoa... they're not Christian anymore" chants. All of a sudden they don't meet the standard. As a result I don't blame the bands that want to distance themselves from all that and be able to be free to write songs that don't have to fit a template. Their are enough clones in the music industry.

Now I know I've taken this topic off in a direction different from the "ultra conservative old folk" who were the target audience. My position really just avoids taking a side because I don't think there is "Christian" music. I like and listen to all kinds of music created for entertainment from hardcore all the way down to classical, and I've come to only one conclusion, music is just music... no more no less.

Preacher Boy said:
So which is the "christian" and which is the Satan worshippers?

I'm curious, do you personally know any of the members of the band Korn to accurately imply that?

Scott said:
I'm curious, do you personally know any of the members of the band Korn to accurately imply that?

I don't realy know how to answer, not but because I can't, but because you are spiritually retarded. :roll:

Preacher Boy said:
I don't realy know how to answer, not but because I can't, but because you are spiritually retarded. :roll:

That was un-called for... way to rise above preacher boy, you've truly set an ultimate example with that one :-?

Preacher Boy said:

That was un-called for... way to rise above slandar preacher boy, you've truly set an ultimate example with that one :-?

Back