Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Is ID science?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
XolotlOfMictlan said:
BobRyan said:
Why not show how "Stories easy enough to make up" as stated by Patterson is "A GOOD THING for Darwinists"???

Ok gauntlet thrown, gauntlet picked up.

I can hardly wait! so far all efforts to respsond "in substance" have been comprised of "glossing over the details of Patterson's words and hoping for the best"

Patterson's statement that stories easy enough to make up relate to the inaccuracy of the fossil record to demonstrate direct lineage to surviving species. The example Thunissen uses is the Apeteryx. Now is it the direct ancestor to birds? Well maybe, or was it an evolutionary dead end?

Yes "THAT's the problem" since the fallacy of "claiming every dead end you find as a CONFIRMING transition between A and C" is imply "making up dead-end stories" about "how one thing came from another" -- stories that are "NOT science"!! Stories that make you feel better as you "affirm the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means" by coming up with one dead-end after another.

Solve it.

Evolution is not linear, it has branches.

Wonderful "dancing" but not a "solution". Having billion side branches does nothing to promote YOUR ancestor-descendant CHAIN and give YOU a transition. A horse living next to a rabbit is not therefore --- half-rabbit!

So again - solve the problem.

For example, did humans evolve from Chimps? No. Humans evolved from some other prehistoric animal, which evolved from something else and so on. Somewhere back there, the animal in question also evolved into something else, which evolved to become the chimpanzee.

That is just more dancing as you GUESS that humans evolved from a common ancestor (the salient point of darwinism ASSUMED not proven)

good story telling as Patterson notes -- but not science.

If we dig up a fossil that resembles either a human or a chimp, can we tell for sure that it's on our branch and not the chimps, if it's somewhere close to that divergence point? Nope.

So fine -- it is a "dead end" -- tell me then HOW you claim it as "TRANSITION" from anthing TO anything while ALSO claiming you don't know what it is descendant OF AND you don't know what it is ANCESTOR TO.

As Patterson commented -- your argument is the lamentable religionist form that "AFFIRMS the FACT while pleading ignorance as to the means" EACH time you assert these "transitional FINDS" are just as likely "DEAD ENDS".

Dead end means NO success in breeding - NO ancestors -- NOTHING ELSE comes of it!!

So again - good "stories made up" but as Patterson argues "NOT SCIENCE"!

We can say it's likely related to one or the other, but we can't say for sure it's the ancestor of either.

NOT ancestor -- and NOT descendant -- but STILL related in some innexplicable story-telling way???

that is "AFFIRMING the FACT while pleading ignorance as to the MEANS".

Let me see if I can find that for you...

Oh yes -- here it is..

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution)

A 1981 lecture presented at New York City's American Museum of Natural History

Colin PATTERSON:

"...I'm speaking on two subjects, evolutionism and creationism, and I believe it's true to say that I know nothing whatever about either...One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view,well, let's call it non-evolutionary , was last year I had a sudden realization.

"For over twenty years I had thought that I was working on evolution in some way. One morning I woke up, and something had happened in the night, and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years, and there was not one thing I knew about it. "That was quite a shock that one could be misled for so long...

It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not to be taught in high school, and perhaps that's all we know about it...

about eighteen months ago...I woke up and I realized that all my life I had been duped into taking evolutionism as revealed truth in some way."

Patterson - again quoting Gillespie accusing that those "'...holding creationist ideas could plead ignorance of the means and affirm only the fact,'" Patterson countered, "That seems to summarize the feeling I get in talking to evolutionists today. They plead ignorance of the means of transformation, but affirm only the fact: 'Yes it has...we know it has taken place.'"

"...Now I think that many people in this room would acknowledge that during the last few years, if you had thought about it at all, you've experienced a shift from evolution as knowledge to evolution as faith. I know that's true of me, and I think it's true of a good many of you in here...

"...Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, but seems somehow to convey anti-knowledge [/u], apparent knowledge which is actually harmful to systematics..."

Thanks for being willing to transparently illustrate the probelm Patterson identified for us.

Bob

Wonderful "dancing" but not a "solution". Having billion side branches does nothing to promote YOUR ancestor-descendant CHAIN and give YOU a transition. A horse living next to a rabbit is not therefore --- half-rabbit!

The hilarious thing is, Bob really believes that's what evolution is about.

XolotlOfMictlan said:
[

And that sir, is what Patterson meant by making up stories, and rightly so. We CAN make up stories and say that that skull eventually evolved into a chimp, but that wouldn't be correct. What we can say is that the skull belonged to something that shared a common ancestor with us.

Wrong.

You can not say that the species-X SHARED a common ancestor UNLESS you can first say "I know that this is a descendant OF..(your statement goes here)". Patterson stated clearly that a fossil CAN NOT tell you what it is descendant OF nor what it is ancestor TO -- as Theunissen noted in his agreement with Patterson.

And as long as that rule holds -- your story telling is dead in the water for the chimp, for the human AND for the skull of species-x that you posit as found in the rocks.

No wonder Patterson writes -

I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job

As soon as you make the statement "SHARED a common ancestor" you have made a claim to the ancestoral chain of humans of chimps and of species-X -- you have claimed to KNOW from the fossils not just ONE chain -- but THREE chains of ancestor-descendant links...

And given that the rule is -- fossils DO NOT GIVE that information - you are back to "affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the MEANS".

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution) – to fellow atheist Darwinist Theunnissen on Patterson’s letter to Sunderland.

Dear Mr Theunissen,
Sorry to have taken so long to answer your letter of July 9th. I was away for a while, and then infernally busy. I seem fated continually to make a fool of myself with creationists. The specific quote you mention, from a letter to Sunderland dated 10th April 1979, is accurate as far as it goes .
The passage quoted continues
[quote:f3ae9] From a Letter by Patterson Written TO Sunderland –

"... a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."
I think the continuation of the passage shows clearly that your interpretation (at the end of your letter) is correct, and the creationists' is false.
That brush with Sunderland (I had never heard of him before) was my first experience of creationists. The famous "keynote address" at the American Museum of Natural History in 1981 was nothing of the sort. It was a talk to the "Systematics Discussion Group" in the Museum, an (extremely) informal group. I had been asked to talk to them on "Evolutionism and creationism"; fired up by a paper by Ernst Mayr published in Science just the week before. I gave a fairly rumbustious talk, arguing that the theory of evolution had done more harm than good to biological systematics (classification). Unknown to me, there was a creationist in the audience with a hidden tape recorder. So much the worse for me. But my talk was addressed to professional systematists, and concerned systematics, nothing else.
I hope that by now I have learned to be more circumspect in dealing with creationists, cryptic or overt. But I still maintain that scepticism is the scientist's duty, however much the stance may expose us to ridicule.
Yours Sincerely,
[signed]
Colin Patterson
[/quote:f3ae9]

1.Patterson affirms that Sunderlands QUOTE of him IS accurate.

2.Patterson points to the “detail†of “key not speech†as being incorrect in the incident that Sunderland reported about Patterson.

3.Patterson affirms “again†the point that STORY TELLING about “how one thing came from another is NOT science†it is merely “stories easy enough to make upâ€Â.

4.Patterson argues “again†that supposed “transitional†like Archaeopteryx are in fact NOT known to be descendants of reptiles OR ancestors to birds – they are simply “CLAIMED†as transitional “anyway†since SCIENCE was not going to get that “ancestorâ€Â-“Descendant†information out of the fossil anyway!.

5.BOTH Theunissen and Patterson work on SOLVING the problem of salvaging darwinism GIVEN Patterson’s statements about the LACK of transitional forms -- statements that Sunderland was highlighting. It is to THAT solution that Patterson refers when he argues that Theunissen's solution is also Patterson's.

6.The "solution" they BOTH agree to is that science CAN NOT tell us if a fossils is a descendant of some other species or if it is in fact ancestor to some species -- but they will make the “claim for transitional" anyway -- since the art of "making up stories about how one thing came from another" was not SCIENCE in the first place!!

Patterson refers to this as "affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means"

Bob

Since I have provided Patterson's letter to Theunissen -- I should also provide HIS letter to Sunderland so you have ALL of Patterson's arguments given to justify his views.

Sunderland
"I wrote to Dr. Patterson and asked him why he didn't put a single picture of an intermediate form or a connecting link in his book on evolution. Dr. Patterson now, who has seven million fossils in his museum, said the following when he answered my letter:

Sunderland – reports:

Before interviewing Dr Patterson, the author read his book, Evolution, which he had written for the British Museum of Natural History. In it he had solicited comments from readers about the book’s contents. One reader wrote a letter to Dr Patterson asking why he did not put a single photograph of a transitional fossil in his book.

On April 10, 1979, Patterson replied to the author (Sunderland) in a most candid letter as follows:

[quote:636be]

“ I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them.

You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic license, would that not mislead the reader?

I wrote the text of my book four years ago. If I were to write it now, I think the book would be rather different. Gradualism is a concept I believe in, not just because of Darwin’s authority, but because my understanding of genetics seems to demand it. Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record.

You say that I should at least show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived. I will lay it on the line- there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test. So, much as I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job “

[Ref: Patterson, personal communication. Documented in Darwin’s Enigma, Luther Sunderland, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1988, pp. 88-90.]

[/quote:636be]

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan said:
And that sir, is what Patterson meant by making up stories, and rightly so. We CAN make up stories and say that that skull eventually evolved into a chimp, but that wouldn't be correct. What we can say is that the skull belonged to something that shared a common ancestor with us.

Wrong.

You can not say that the species-X SHARED a common ancestor UNLESS you can first say "I know that this is a descendant OF..(your statement goes here)". Patterson stated clearly that a fossil CAN NOT tell you what it is descendant OF nor what it is ancestor TO -- as Theunissen noted in his agreement with Patterson.

And as long as that rule holds -- your story telling is dead in the water for the chimp, for the human AND for the skull of species-x that you posit as found in the rocks.

*sigh*I knew that assuming you knew how evolution worked was a bad idea.

(In terms a 10 year old could understand):
Evolution is like a family. Indeed that is why they use the word family in taxonomy. The chimp and the human can be seen as distant cousins. The human's father is not the chimp's father, although the human and the chimp might have brothers which may or may not be alive today (none of the human's brothers are still alive today). The human's grandfather is not the Chimp's grandfather, but the human and the chimp might still have uncles and cousins.

Somewhere along the line, the chimp's great great great great .... great grandfather is the same as the human's. If we find a skull of the right age to be this missing link the question arises: Is it the one we're after or is it his brother? It could be his cousin too, we don't know. However, we do know that they are still part of the same extended family because they share similar traits that are inherited by successive generations.

Patterson is correct in saying that you cannot say that a skull in on the direct paternal line from the linkage to modern human or chimpanzee, because the line branches in so many places, many of these branches may never be found. However, from studying the skulls and comparing them to other skulls, it is fairly trivial to be able to say that the skull belongs within a certain section of the extended family tree.

I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job

Do you know what gradualism is? Well assuming you don't (since if you did, you certainly wouldn't have shot yourself in the foot by posting that quote) I'll tell you. Gradualism (which Patterson supports as per your quotation) is one of the two theories on how evolution works, both of which are valid in certain scenarios. Gradualism is a bit harder to picture than the standard Punctuated Equillibrium model. Gradualism states that evolution proceeded slowly over large time intervals and that everything is constantly evolving, only at a slow rate. Punctuated Equillibrium states that there is very little evolutionary change between short periods of rapid evolution.

If there is any debate in the scientific community regarding the origin of species, it is between these two theories, both of which are ways of looking at evolution. I thank you for bringing up this quote, for it, more than any other Patterson quote yet, shows him to be an obvious supporter of the theory of evolution. You've saved me a lot of time by digging this up.

BobRyan said:
As soon as you make the statement "SHARED a common ancestor" you have made a claim to the ancestoral chain of humans of chimps and of species-X -- you have claimed to KNOW from the fossils not just ONE chain -- but THREE chains of ancestor-descendant links...

And given that the rule is -- fossils DO NOT GIVE that information - you are back to "affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the MEANS".

You do not have to know how something works to say that it does. What causes gravity? Well I don't know- it is governed by mass- but when I drop my pencil, it still falls to the floor. Thankfully we have science here to try to find the means. Science has found the means of Evolution, and it's called natural selection. I already explained ToE, so you can do some homework and look up natural selection for yourself.

As a side note, "Affirming the fact while claiming ignorance to the means" is another does of your trademark irony. How would you say mankind developed? God did it? Uhm, that's about as helpful as saying it happened by magic. If anyone has affirmed a fact whilst claiming ignorance to the means, it has to be the ID'ers.

Dear Mr Theunissen,
Sorry to have taken so long to answer your letter of July 9th. I was away for a while, and then infernally busy. I seem fated continually to make a fool of myself with creationists. The specific quote you mention, from a letter to Sunderland dated 10th April 1979, is accurate as far as it goes .

Yes the quote is accurate. This means he did say it, not that the interpretation was right. However, as always you neglect his statement concerning the quote:

I think the continuation of the passage shows clearly that your interpretation (at the end of your letter) is correct, and the creationists' is false.

There it is. There is no ambiguity whatsoever to that statement. Shall I post it again in case you missed it? Ok.

BobRyan said:
2.Patterson points to the “detail†of “key not speech†as being incorrect in the incident that Sunderland reported about Patterson.

Ok so Patterson affirmed that Sunderland lied about him once, yes go on...
Wait what was Number nine in the list of the ten commandments again? Seems Sunderland forgot.

BobRyan said:
3.Patterson affirms “again†the point that STORY TELLING about “how one thing came from another is NOT science†it is merely “stories easy enough to make upâ€Â.

4.Patterson argues “again†that supposed “transitional†like Archaeopteryx are in fact NOT known to be descendants of reptiles OR ancestors to birds – they are simply “CLAIMED†as transitional “anyway†since SCIENCE was not going to get that “ancestorâ€Â-“Descendant†information out of the fossil anyway!.

This has been delt with. I told you what he meant with that and the phrase from the letter:

Proves me right.

BobRyan said:
5.BOTH Theunissen and Patterson work on SOLVING the problem of salvaging darwinism GIVEN Patterson’s statements about the LACK of transitional forms -- statements that Sunderland was highlighting. It is to THAT solution that Patterson refers when he argues that Theunissen's solution is also Patterson's.

6.The "solution" they BOTH agree to is that science CAN NOT tell us if a fossils is a descendant of some other species or if it is in fact ancestor to some species -- but they will make the “claim for transitional" anyway -- since the art of "making up stories about how one thing came from another" was not SCIENCE in the first place!!

Patterson refers to this as "affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means"

Again, nothing I haven't already covered.

Oh... one more thing I might have forgotten to mention:

CAVEMAN.gif

Want a good study? go here.. http://www.creationism.org/patten/

The Biblical Flood and the Ice Epoch
©1966 by Donald W. Patten
It is over and against the prevailing monopoly of uniformitarian thought (which proposes that oceans of time are necessary for anything and everything, both geologically and biologically) that Mr. Patten proposes his view of historical celestial crises, global catastrophes. Such catastrophes may explain many features about several planets. Such catastrophes, relative to the Earth-Moon system, explain the raising up of mountain ranges, sweeping across the face of the Earth in arcuate alignment, similar to the mountain patterns of the Moon.

This was achieved suddenly, and by tidal upheavals within oceans (of centrifugally rotating lava) within the Earth's crust. Simultaneously, tidal upheavals engulfing the oceans raised tides of subcontinental dimensions on the Earth's crust, thus the historically recorded Deluge, or Flood

BobRyan said:
Is this the part where you DO remember what Patterson said in BOTH letters or you don't??

<snipped repeated arguments concerning Dr Patterson's two letters and attributed remarks at the AMNH including a complaint that Dr Patterson's letter to Louis Theunissen had not been fully quoted by myself>
It is clear that even a middle ground is unlikely to be arrived at between us. It also appears that, as elsewhere, I have failed to make my arguments entirely clear to you, for which the fault must be my own. As far as Dr Patterson's remarks, confirmed or otherwise are concerned, this may end up being my last post on the subject, especially as I see that others are comprehensively and effectively demonstrating the paucity of your claims on this topic more capably than I am.

Your focus on the text, the whole text and nothing but the text is significant. Dr Patterson's work and views are not encompassed by but two letters and one speech, accurately reported or not. The letter to Louis Theunissen is quoted in full below, except for the address and salutation:
Sorry to have taken so long to answer your letter of July 9th. I was away for a while, and then infernally busy. I seem fated continually to make a fool of myself with creationists. The specific quote you mention, from a letter to Sunderland dated 10th April 1979, is accurate as far as it goes. The passage quoted continues "... a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."

That brush with Sunderland (I had never heard of him before) was my first experience of creationists. The famous "keynote address" at the American Museum of Natural History in 1981 was nothing of the sort. It was a talk to the "Systematics Discussion Group" in the Museum, an (extremely) informal group. I had been asked to talk to them on "Evolutionism and creationism"; fired up by a paper by Ernst Mayr published in Science just the week before. I gave a fairly rumbustious talk, arguing that the theory of evolution had done more harm than good to biological systematics (classification). Unknown to me, there was a creationist in the audience with a hidden tape recorder. So much the worse for me. But my talk was addressed to professional systematists, and concerned systematics, nothing else.

I hope that by now I have learned to be more circumspect in dealing with creationists, cryptic or overt. But I still maintain that scepticism is the scientist's duty, however much the stance may expose us to ridicule.
If you interpret this letter to mean anything other than that, as far as the fossil record was concerned, Dr Patterson's argument was that it was not possible to unequivocally identify specific fossil species as directly ancestral to extant species, then your comprehension of written English is different from mine. How you interpret this as wholly undermining evolutionary theory, I have no idea. And this is why the context of Dr Patterson's work and understanding beyond two letters is significant and relevant. You are taking Dr Patterson's remarks out of this context, as well as ignoring his specific point that what he was referring to by the phrase 'It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another' was the impossibility, at that time, of making 'a watertight argument' regarding the direct ancestral relationship between particular fossils and extant species, the reason being 'that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record'. Strangely enough, this does not shake evolutionary theory to the core.

If Dr Patterson was content with Mr Sunderland's interpretation of his letter to him, apparently centred on these sentences
I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. . .I will lay it on the line, There is not one such fossil for which one might make a watertight argument.
why would he state quite unequivocally to Mr Theunissen that 'I think the continuation of the passage shows clearly that your interpretation (at the end of your letter) is correct, and the creationists' is false'? You prefer to focus on those aspects of Dr Patterson's letters that seem to support your argument, gloss over anything in those letters that perhaps qualifies that support and ignore completely what Dr Patterson has said and written elsewhere that would convince any reasonable person that he was entirely persuaded of the evidence supporting evolutionary theory.

If anything else was the case, why would Dr Patterson feel compelled to conclude his letter to Mr Theunissen with the remark 'I hope that by now I have learned to be more circumspect in dealing with creationists'?

As far as Dr Patterson's remarks at the AMNH on 5 November 1981 are concerned, Dr Patterson has indicated that the transcript circulated by the creationist taper is heavily flawed
....saying that the talk was only about details within his narrow specialty, cladistics. He had spoken loosely, and thrown out rhetorical questions, since he thought that everyone in his audience was an expert. He had just read a scathing attack on cladistics, and was pretty heated up. He was not talking from notes, and did not try to create a correct transcript.

When asked for a summary, he said that he was talking about the two schools of thought among cladistics experts. One school took evolution as a given. Therefore when they drew a diagram showing the relatedness of various species, they were explicitly drawing a family tree that showed descent. The other school - Patterson's - tried to construct diagrams showing only the logical relatedness of species, strictly based on similarities and differences. That is, his diagrams did not use evolution as an assumption. He was arguing that this is important, because it is a fallacy to use one of your assumptions as one of your conclusions. Since his school did not use evolution as an assumption, they were free to use it as a conclusion.

Patterson said he was not expressing doubt that evolution had happened, and he felt that his "cladograms" were evidence for evolution.
From:http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/quote_patterson.html

I don't know how this can be said more emphatically, but again it is clear that Dr Patterson had no truck with the idea that his remarks invalidated evolutionary theory whatsoever. To continue using them as if they did seems to me disingenuous.
Bob said
Again you provide an answer in the form of "no quotes from either Eldredge or Patterson" regarding the point/incident under discussion. Just more accusation without evidence.
My point concerns nothing that these gentlemen said or wrote, but rather is directed towards the problem which you believe exists as a result of those attributed words that you focus so intently upon. In other words, neither Dr Patterson's remarks nor Niles Eldredge's 'lament' are evidence in and of themselves of anything other than opinion. Evolutionary theory is supported by much more evidence than that which is present in the fossil record. Even if no fossil remains existed whatsoever, evolutionary theory would still be persuasive on the basis of evidence from, amongst other things, phylogenetics, molecular evolution and population genetics.
[quote:c9fbb]L.K.

7. Regardless of anything else, do you think that understanding of evolutionary theory may have progressed at all in the decades since Dr Patterson's spoken and written remarks? I am thinking particularly of research in molecular biology, molecular genetics, phylogenetics and population genetics, but please feel free to include other fields in your answer.

Bob asks
Is it your argument that Patterson was correct in making these frank statements about the flaws in atheist darwinism that existed during his life time -- but since his death in 1999 "Darwinism changed" ?

you seem to "hope" that although Patterson reveals flaws in the Darwinist argument -- yet since that time those flaws have been addressed.[/quote:c9fbb]
My question makes no reference to the 'rightness' or otherwise of Dr Patterson's statements. Nor does it express any 'hopes' that the 'flaws' Dr Patterson identified (whether understood correctly by yourself or not) have or have not been 'addressed' since his untimely death. It asks whether you think it possible that understanding of evolutionary may have progressed at all since his spoken and written remarks. The attempt to reduce the period to which I am referring is duly noted.
Your question is "DO I think that SCIENCE has since SOLVED the problem" of looking at a fossil and NOT KNOWING what it is ancestor TO or descendant OF.
No, it isn't. Please see above.
No - since 1999 I have not heard of any "breakthrough" that solves that problem. NO announcement "WE have finally figured out how to do that".
1999 is not the date in question here. Neither is your answer to the question, which if you read it again carefully you will see it is not directed at the fossil record. If it had been directed at the fossil record, tiktaalik would no doubt have been a useful place to start.
But given Patterson's recognition of the LIMIT I have no doubt that should they HAVE found a way to SOLVE it -- a lot of hoopla would surely have resulted.
This is because you assume that your conclusions based on Dr Patterson's two letters and one misreported talk are a correct summation of the problem that they pose to evolutionary theory. Is any problem at all other than the one that you conjure forth? If your summation of the problem is in fact erroneous and the problem does not in fact exist beyond your own hopes that it does, then we would expect scientists to devote no effort at all to 'solving' it, which appears to be the case. I would be most interested in any citations or references you can provide to any scientific papers, articles or books dealing with evolutionary theory that agree with your summation of the seriousness of the problem and then try to address it.
no let me ask you a question --

IF the PROBLEM REMAINS -- does THAT change your faith in darwinist orthodoxy one iota?
1. I do not have 'faith' in evolutionary theory. I am persuaded by what I have read that the weight of evidence accumulated since Charles Darwin originally proposed the theory overwhelmingly supports it.

2. Even if your analysis of the problem is wholly correct, the problem relates only to the fossil record. There are many other evidential legs that support evolutionary theory. Therefore my answer to your rather tendentiously phrased question would be a quite resounding 'No'.
[quote:c9fbb]L.K By the way, I assume that you have no answers to my questions (4)-(6).

It is more the case that I have about 20 threads active on this board -- and while I do try to get to yours first - as I find you to be a more objective thoughtful participant than most of the regular darwin supporting group - I am also prone to missing a thread topic.

In fact it is thanks to VZ4M commenting here and bumping this up to the top that I got to this. I was not aware that you had posted a response here until then.[/quote:c9fbb]
My apologies, I understand and appreciate the demands on your time. It was just that you jumped from responding to my first three questions to addressing my seventh. I just assumed (falsely and perhaps unreasonably) that this meant you had considered the others and had no reply. I will understand if, as the discussion has now moved on, you prefer to leave them hanging.

When the subject of Patterson's frank statements comes up - we get a lot of "sound an furry" accompanied by "harrumph and thunder" as we see in some of what Xotl posts -- so any response from the Darwinist side that shows an inclination to "adress inconvenient details" is rare and much appreciated.

lordkalvan said:
Your focus on the text, the whole text and nothing but the text is significant. Dr Patterson's work and views are not encompassed by but two letters and one speech, accurately reported or not.

The argument is not that these represent the sum total of his life's work. The argument is that the "inconvenient details" he raises in those 3 cases are so devastating that they logically give impetus to Niles Eldredge's "my god what is he doing to us" -- but the totally nonsensical "all news is good news to us" attempts by darwinist attempting a "deny-all" and ignore-all solution simple shows the weakness in their argument and their glaringly obvious willingness to embarrass themselves as they claim to "not understand the points raise" in post after post after post.

Surely you can see that this has been my argument all along.

I have provided Patterson's post to Sunderland -- I have provided his 1981 lecture and I have provided his letter to Theunissen "in total" SHOWING the parts of the letter that darwinists are runnning from as fas as their feet can fly.

lordkalvan said:
The letter to Louis Theunissen is quoted in full below, except for the address and salutation:
Sorry to have taken so long to answer your letter of July 9th. I was away for a while, and then infernally busy. I seem fated continually to make a fool of myself with creationists.

The specific quote you mention, from a letter to Sunderland dated 10th April 1979, is accurate as far as it goes. The passage quoted continues

[quote:736c7]
"... a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."

If you interpret this letter to mean anything other than that, as far as the fossil record was concerned, Dr Patterson's argument was that it was not possible to unequivocally identify specific fossil species as directly ancestral to extant species,
[/quote:736c7]

1. Patterson does not use terms like "unequivocally identify".

2. The CONTINUATION section That Pattersons SAID to focus on -- is IN BOTH my quote of Patterson TO SUNDERLAND AND my quote of Patterson TO Thunissen AND is highlighted BY ME in almost all my references to those TWO letters. It is hardly accurate to see I have been down playing THAT CONTINUATION of the letter. So "again" that is not your point in your response EVEN though IT IS Pattersons!

3. Patterson uses a classic case of 'claimed transitional' -- Archaeopteryx -- and shows that such CLAIMS are being made WITHOUT KNOWING if they are even true since SCIENCE can not tell us WHAT that species is descendant OF or what it is ANCESTOR To!! hint " a dead end does not give birth to a new species" ... period.

So far .. I am merely stating the glaringly obvious.

then your comprehension of written English is different from mine. How you interpret this as wholly undermining evolutionary theory, I have no idea.

Ok -- then apparenly the english language is the difference "if that is what you want to claim".

It amazes me that darwinists are willing to go to such a defense.

lordkalvan said:
You are taking Dr Patterson's remarks out of this context,

Wonderful "claim" -- good accusation... but then "Should come the part" where you "show your work" -- where you do the math. Prove that your accusation has substance. I am ready to read it.

lordkalvan said:
as well as ignoring his specific point that what he was referring to by the phrase 'It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another' was the impossibility, at that time, of making 'a watertight argument' regarding the direct ancestral relationship between particular fossils and extant species, the reason being 'that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record'.

Indeed I keep pointing out that section of Patterson's letter - -highlighting it... underlining it -- posting it in red -- asking the darwinists to DEAL with the point raised rather than simply doing some "harrumph hand waiving" as Xotl tries to do and then saying "but it is alll gooooood no matter what the details".

As if such chanting and story telling is some new kind of "compelling argument" or substantive response.

Surely you can see that "reason" is needed by way of response -- not simply looking at that fundamental problem and saying "yes but all news is still good news for darwinist because... well just because".

This is where Patterson ALSO points out that when Darwinists do this they are "affirming the fact while pleading ignorance as to the MEANS".

Claiming TRANSITIONALS without actually KNOWING "in science" what they are ancestor TO or descendant of -- is clearly "ignorance as to the means" while simply "affirming the fact -- transitional!".

How can rational minds among darwinists continually pretend to "miss the point"???

I find it truly astounding!

Strangely enough, this does not shake evolutionary theory to the core.

As you said "strangely enough".

However Niles Eldredge "got it right" when HE heard Patterson going off on this point!

Bob

lordkalvan -

If Dr Patterson was content with Mr Sunderland's interpretation of his letter to him, apparently centred on these sentences
[quote:4a99f]I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. . .I will lay it on the line, There is not one such fossil for which one might make a watertight argument.

why would he state quite unequivocally to Mr Theunissen that 'I think the continuation of the passage shows clearly that your interpretation (at the end of your letter) is correct, and the creationists' is false'?
[/quote:4a99f]

Obviously "because" the creationists CONCLUSION is that WITHOUT having ACTUAL transitionals (you know - where you CAN assert that B is the descendant of A and the ancestor of C) you have no genetic CHANGE - no MOVEMENT -- no "evolution" to point to as the ORIGIN for the major species. Easy enough for a creationist but a tough road for an atheist like Patterson. He simply can not go to that conclusion -- no matter how he whines and complains that the core mechanism NEEDED to "tell the story" is missing.

Here is a more FULL treatment of Patterson's letter to Sunderland (if in fact you have genuine interest "in the details" we see there).

Sunderland – reports:

Before interviewing Dr Patterson, the author read his book, Evolution, which he had written for the British Museum of Natural History. In it he had solicited comments from readers about the book’s contents. One reader wrote a letter to Dr Patterson asking why he did not put a single photograph of a transitional fossil in his book.

On April 10, 1979, Patterson replied to the author (Sunderland) in a most candid letter as follows:

[quote:4a99f]

“ I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them.

You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic license, would that not mislead the reader?

I wrote the text of my book four years ago. If I were to write it now, I think the book would be rather different. Gradualism is a concept I believe in, not just because of Darwin’s authority, but because my understanding of genetics seems to demand it. Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record.

You say that I should at least show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived. I will lay it on the line- there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument. The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test. So, much as I should like to oblige you by jumping to the defence of gradualism, and fleshing out the transitions between the major types of animals and plants, I find myself a bit short of the intellectual justification necessary for the job “

[Ref: Patterson, personal communication. Documented in Darwin’s Enigma, Luther Sunderland, Master Books, El Cajon, CA, 1988, pp. 88-90.]

[/quote:4a99f]

If you really want to discuss this in detail -- I welcome the exchange.

If your desire is to avoid it -- or leave it in the form of your 1 sentence quote above -- then fine.

Bob

lordkalvan
You prefer to focus on those aspects of Dr Patterson's letters that seem to support your argument

Indeed -- not too surprising since it is the BULK of his letter and since it makes darwinist squirm to have to deal with the "inconvenient details" of WHAT HE said.

Much rather would they prefer to shift the point to some other "rabbit trail" -- Patterson is simply "holding their feet to the fire" in a way that makes Eldredge whine "my god -- I can't believe he is doing this to us".

lordkalvan

, gloss over anything in those letters that perhaps qualifies that support and ignore completely what Dr Patterson has said and written elsewhere

You have exposed your own problem -- you NEED to "go elsewhere" to make a firm case for darwinism because in those two letters, AND in the 1981 speech you do not FIND IT!

I on the other hand want to highlight every single point RAISED in those two letters and in that speech -- point by point... slow and HIGHLIGHTED.

Darwinists have only one option when I do that -- run away from Patterson's speech... gloss over the details that you can get by with and pull in a new rabbit trail as soon as the discussion will permit.

WHY in the world do you think I would "not notice"???

That is the part that amazes me!

lordkalvan

If anything else was the case, why would Dr Patterson feel compelled to conclude his letter to Mr Theunissen with the remark 'I hope that by now I have learned to be more circumspect in dealing with creationists'?

All I can think of for that is ... "the obvious". Patterson claims they SHOULD be critical -- SHOULD expose the gaps and flaws EVEN if it gets them into hot water with those who dissent from their darwinist orthodoxy BECAUSE to do otherwise is just TOO MUCH of a "religionist COURSE" for even HIS mind to stomach.

HE already stated this in the 1981 speech.

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution)

Colin PATTERSON:

"...I'm speaking on two subjects, evolutionism and creationism, and I believe it's true to say that I know nothing whatever about either...One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view,well, let's call it non-evolutionary , was last year I had a sudden realization.

"For over twenty years I had thought that I was working on evolution in some way. One morning I woke up, and something had happened in the night, and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years, and there was not one thing I knew about it. "That was quite a shock that one could be misled for so long...

It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not to be taught in high school, and perhaps that's all we know about it...

about eighteen months ago...I woke up and I realized that all my life I had been duped into taking evolutionism as revealed truth in some way."

Patterson - again quoting Gillespie accusing that those "'...holding creationist ideas could plead ignorance of the means and affirm only the fact,'" Patterson countered, "That seems to summarize the feeling I get in talking to evolutionists today. They plead ignorance of the means of transformation, but affirm only the fact: 'Yes it has...we know it has taken place.'"

"...Now I think that many people in this room would acknowledge that during the last few years, if you had thought about it at all, you've experienced a shift from evolution as knowledge to evolution as faith. I know that's true of me, and I think it's true of a good many of you in here...

"...Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, but seems somehow to convey anti-knowledge [/u], apparent knowledge which is actually harmful to systematics..."

You are free to keep arguing that you don't see english the way I see it in these statements AND The way Niles Eldredge clearly saw it -- but I think that is an embarrassing option to take just to try and salvation darwinism.

As far as Dr Patterson's remarks at the AMNH on 5 November 1981 are concerned, Dr Patterson has indicated that the transcript circulated by the creationist taper is heavily flawed

Patterson said he was not expressing doubt that evolution had happened, and he felt that his "cladograms" were evidence for evolution.
From:http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/quote_patterson.html

I don't know how this can be said more emphatically,
[/quote]

Patterson had just condemned his audience saying that in Darwinism ITSELF he saw the flaw of devotees "AFFIRMING the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means".

Patterson said that even IN HIS OWN CASE he was find acceptance of darwinism to be LESS based on a science and MORE of a "faith based" initiative.

Here is a more detailed excerpt from the 1981 speech

Dr. Frair quotes Colin Patterson: NY American Museum of Natural History – talk - 1981.

Colin PATTERSON:

"...I've tried putting a simple question to various people and groups of people: 'Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing, any one thing you think is true?'

"I tried that question on the geology staff in the Field Museum of Natural History, and the only answer I got was silence.

I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time, and then eventually one person said: 'Yes, I do know one thing. It ought not to be taught in high school.' "..

(Patterson took the words of Neal C. Gillespie alleging that the "pre-Darwinian creationist paradigm" was "'...not a research-governing theory, since its power to explain is only verbal, but an anti-theory, a void that has the function of knowledge, but conveys none'" and suggested ")...It must seem to you that I'm either misguided or malicious to suggest that such words can be applied to evolutionary theory.

"...Most of us think that we are working in evolutionary research. But is its explanatory power any more than verbal?...I feel that the effect of hypotheses of common ancestry in systematics has not been merely void, not just a lack of knowledge-I think it has been positively anti-knowledge. "...

What about evolution? It certainly has the function of knowledge but has it conveyed any?...It is true, evolution does not convey any knowledge, or if so, I haven't yet heard it.

"Well, here we all are with all our shelves full of books on evolution. We've all read tons of them, and most of us have written one or two. And how could it be that we've done all that, we've read these books and learned nothing from them? And how could I have worked on evolution for twenty years, and learned nothing from it?

"...There is some sort of a revolution going on in evolutionary theory at the moment...It concerns the possible mechanisms that are responsible for the transformation...natural selection is under fire, and we hear a rash of new and alternative theories..."

(Again quoting Gillespie accusing that those "'...holding creationist ideas could plead ignorance of the means and affirm only the fact,'"

Patterson countered with this- ) "That seems to summarize the feeling I get in talking to evolutionists today. They plead ignorance of the means of transformation, but affirm only the fact: (saying) 'Yes it has...we know it has taken place.'"

"...Now I think that many people in this room would acknowledge that during the last few years, IF you had thought about it at all, you've experienced a shift from evolution as knowledge to evolution as faith. I know that's true of me, and I think it's true of a good many of you in here... "...Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, but seems somehow to convey anti-knowledge, apparent knowledge which is actually harmful to systematics..."

Question for the reader: -- is Pattersons "antiknowledge" and "faith" statement about "evolution" in general or just limited to “ systematics being damaged by evolutionism's dogma�

before you answer -

Notice that Patterson admits that evolutionism has mislead even him.

[/quote]

Dr. Frair provides his own testimony as a front-row attendee of this talk by Patterson
Dr Frair:
I was sitting in the front row next to an AMNH curator of mammals, Karl Koopman, who, obviously very agitated kept slamming his pencil down in front of him.

Niles Eldredge in the Department of Invertebrates at AMNH was standing by the left wall (as one looks toward the speaker). Beside Eldredge stood a high school biology teacher, Roy Slingo, from the prestigious Scarsdale NY district.

Slingo later informed me that at one stage of the talk Niles Eldredge (well known for his anti-creationist perspective) grabbed his forehead and slid down the wall proclaiming, "My God, how can he be doing this to us."

[/quote]

lordkalvan said:
BobRyan said:
Again you provide an answer in the form of "no quotes from either Eldredge or Patterson" regarding the point/incident under discussion. Just more accusation without evidence.
My point concerns nothing that these gentlemen said or wrote, but rather is directed towards the problem which you believe exists as a result of those attributed words that you focus so intently upon. In other words, neither Dr Patterson's remarks nor Niles Eldredge's 'lament' are evidence in and of themselves of anything other than opinion.

You are trying out "several solutions" to see which one will work. First your attempt is to show that Patterson's remarks are building up the darwinist argument instead of exposing it's vulernerable underbelly -- as Eldredge' lament would clearly show -- then you back off and try another solution "ignore those guys" and "start over".

What you are missing is that Darwinists have been going at this with Christians for years - each side saying why they don't like the other side's argument. NOTHING NEW there. If my only interest was to compare creationist sources to atheist sources -- we could play that game year after year after year.

My interest is in doing what the atheist darwinists CAN't do -- right from the start. SHOW a devoted and well accepted member of the other side MAKING YOUR CASE for you!

This is a level of objectivity that the other guys can only whine about -- but never match.

Surely you see that.

When the "force of truth" is SO EVIDENT that even a devoted atheist darwinist at the HELM of the Darwinist cause in the BMNH as senior paleontologist has to CONFESS the unpleasant facts before HIS peers before "his own" -- why in the world should I "blindly ignore them" in response?

Seems pretty silly.

Evolutionary theory is supported by much more evidence than that which is present in the fossil record.

CLEARLY it would NEED TO BE given the truth of Patterson's arguments. My objective is not to assail every possible argument for Darwinism. I am simply taking one glaringly obvious point at a time. NOT "all at once".

Even if no fossil remains existed whatsoever, evolutionary theory would still be persuasive on the basis of evidence from, amongst other things, phylogenetics, molecular evolution and population genetics.

that might be true -- and IF SO then one would hope that even an atheist darwinist "could bring themselves" to ADMIT to the SAME points Patterson outlines instead of continually arguing "all news is good news" regarding his statements.

L.K.

7. Regardless of anything else, do you think that understanding of evolutionary theory may have progressed at all in the decades since Dr Patterson's spoken and written remarks? (1993) I am thinking particularly of research in molecular biology, molecular genetics, phylogenetics and population genetics, but please feel free to include other fields in your answer.

Bob asks
Is it your argument that Patterson was correct in making these frank statements about the flaws in atheist darwinism that existed during his life time -- but since his death in 1999 "Darwinism changed" ?

you seem to "hope" that although Patterson reveals flaws in the Darwinist argument -- yet since that time those flaws have been addressed.
My question makes no reference to the 'rightness' or otherwise of Dr Patterson's statements. Nor does it express any 'hopes' that the 'flaws' Dr Patterson identified (whether understood correctly by yourself or not) have or have not been 'addressed' since his untimely death.
[/quote]

That too is "instructive" for the unbiased objective reader.

lordkalvan

It asks whether you think it possible that understanding of evolutionary may have progressed at all since his spoken and written remarks.

I am certain that science progresses every year -- I am not sure that the religious arguments of darwinists also do that,

lordkalvan
[quote:6e772]Bob Your question is "DO I think that SCIENCE has since SOLVED the problem" of looking at a fossil and NOT KNOWING what it is ancestor TO or descendant OF.

No, it isn't. Please see above.
Bob said
No - since 1999 (when Patterson died -- or 1993 when that last letter was written) I have not heard of any "breakthrough" that solves that problem. NO announcement "WE have finally figured out how to do that".
1999 is not the date in question here. Neither is your answer to the question, which if you read it again carefully you will see it is not directed at the fossil record. If it had been directed at the fossil record, tiktaalik would no doubt have been a useful place to start.
[/quote:6e772]

No it would not -- since the statement Patterson made was about SCIENCE -- his argument was that the SCIENCE of studying fossils does not lend ITSELF to telling if a fossil is ancestor of another fossil or descendant of another.

Are you imagining that tiktaalik is any better accepted than Archaeopteryx or that it represents "new science" in terms of the ability to study fossils and determine their ancestors??

Bob said

But given Patterson's recognition of the LIMIT I have no doubt that should they HAVE found a way to SOLVE it -- a lot of hoopla would surely have resulted.

Again - this is a statement about the LIMIT of SCIENCE when confronted with a fossil - as stated to Sunderland and as confirmed in 1993 by Patterson's letter to Theunissen.

Patterson argues that SCIENCE ITSELF can not look at the fossil and determine it as ancestor to a species or descendent of a given species.

This is because you assume that your conclusions based on Dr Patterson's two letters and one misreported talk are a correct

Nothing in anything I have provided has been shown to be misquoted or misreported - FULL LETTERS are presented and transcripts available.

You have what I have quotes I have posted - if you can SHOW them to be in error - please do it with an accusation that is accompanied by actual evidence.

summation of the problem that they pose to evolutionary theory. Is any problem at all other than the one that you conjure forth?

We are once again back to "all news is good news" as the "solution" EVEN given Eldredge's "lament" over those remarks!!

How instructive to the unbiased objective reader!

If your summation of the problem is in fact erroneous and the problem does not in fact exist beyond your own hopes that it does, then we would expect scientists to devote no effort at all to 'solving' it, which appears to be the case.

You ARE reading that right??

Do you see what you are saying.

"IF my summation"???? The letters are short the details are there for all to see -- and as for the 1981 statements EVEN ELDREDGE sees the problem!

You have chosen a foxhole solution that is shocking.

The attempt to spin PATTERSONS OWN summation as MINE and then conclude that I need to PROVE what Patterson argues is "true" is truly an astounding retreat.

lordkalvan
I would be most interested in any citations or references you can provide to any scientific papers, articles or books dealing with evolutionary theory that agree with your summation of the seriousness of the problem and then try to address it.

1. That is revisionism when it comes to what we can all read in those letters and in that 1981 speech.

2. ANY summation of ANYONES published work by me - would be as much ignored and glossed over as you are already doing with the report on what Patterson stated.

obviously.

3. NO attempt at all has been made to master the level of objectivity that I demonstrate in going to the SOURCE on the "other side" and showing that even they "see the flaws in the argument"!

Bob asks

IF the PROBLEM REMAINS -- does THAT change your faith in darwinist orthodoxy one iota?

lordkalvan
1. I do not have 'faith' in evolutionary theory. I am persuaded by what I have read that the weight of evidence accumulated since Charles Darwin originally proposed the theory overwhelmingly supports it.

2. Even if your analysis of the problem is wholly correct, the problem relates only to the fossil record. There are many other evidential legs that support evolutionary theory. Therefore my answer to your rather tendentiously phrased question would be a quite resounding 'No'.
[/quote]

Well at least you admit it.

Thanks.

Bob

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan said:

Wrong.

XolotlOfMictlan said:

Evolution is like a family. Indeed that is why they use the word family in taxonomy. The chimp and the human can be seen as distant cousins. The human's father is not the chimp's father, although the human and the chimp might have brothers which may or may not be alive today (none of the human's brothers are still alive today). The human's grandfather is not the Chimp's grandfather, but the human and the chimp might still have uncles and cousins.

Somewhere along the line, the chimp's great great great great .... great grandfather is the same as the human's.

yawwwwwn --

this is the point where my response STARTED -- with the "common ancestor" where I point out the glaring obvious problem that you created for yourself by going back to wild claim to a "common ancestor FOR ALL THREE lines " (chimp, human and species x) you have only tripled the problelm you "could not solve" for ONE line. (In fact you have multiplied the problem exponentially but I am giving your story telling the benefit of the doubt for this discussion).

Try again.

Bob

Bob,

There is absolutely no reason to suppose we will reach any sort of agreement on the subject of Dr Patterson's written and spoken remarks, so further debate seems sterile.

I disagree fundamentally with the emphasis you place on and the conclusions you draw from what Dr Patterson said and wrote in the one talk and two letters in question, and I have tried to explain as fully and able as I can why this is so. Obviously you do not and never will accept any of my arguments on any level at all that will affect the conclusions you draw yourself from Dr Patterson's talk and letters.

I leave it to the independent, unbiased readers (if such exist) to decide for themselves which of us has provided the more persuasive arguments in this debate.

I thank you for the time you have taken to respond to my various posts and the thought you have given to your answers and arguments. I hope that we can at least agree to disagree on this subject reasonably cordially, while acknowledging the strength of conviction that underlies our disgreement.

LK

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan said:

Somewhere along the line, the chimp's great great great great .... great grandfather is the same as the human's.

yawwwwwn --

this is the point where my response STARTED -- with the "common ancestor" where I point out the glaring obvious problem that you created for yourself by going back to wild claim to a "common ancestor FOR ALL THREE lines " (chimp, human and species x) you have only tripled the problelm you "could not solve" for ONE line. (In fact you have multiplied the problem exponentially but I am giving your story telling the benefit of the doubt for this discussion).

Try again.

Bob

Try again? *double facepalm*
My sincere apologies for my incompetance at being able to explain a relatively simplistic concept in a way that would allow you to understand it. My passion is science, not pre-school teaching.

As you so often say "You can lead a horse to water..." and these last few posts have been me trying to hold the horse's head underwater and stick tubes down it's throat to stop it from stubbornly dying of dehydration, but alas, this horse seems to want naught from the fountain of knowledge...

If common knowledge is so boring to you then it's a bit of a shame, but in fact it's beginning to open my eyes as to just how deeply the creationists heads are buried in the sand.
You have not made any points at all in reply to my post and thus I would be at the point of simply declaring victory. There is no problem in the branched lineage of the evolutionary line and your gross failure to properly understand it does not constitute a devastating argument against it.

The facts are there. I posted them. For 150 years the facts have been there and seeing as you have deliberately gone out of your way to ignore them, I can only conclude that trying to bring you up to high-school levels of biological understanding is a lost cause.

monkey.gif

I'll have to admit I'm still trying to decide, maybe after another page or two this
sock full of knowledge will make more sense :smt037

lordkalvan said:
Bob,

There is absolutely no reason to suppose we will reach any sort of agreement on the subject of Dr Patterson's written and spoken remarks, so further debate seems sterile.

I disagree fundamentally with the emphasis you place on and the conclusions you draw from what Dr Patterson said and wrote in the one talk and two letters in question, and I have tried to explain as fully and able as I can why this is so. Obviously you do not and never will accept any of my arguments on any level at all that will affect the conclusions you draw yourself from Dr Patterson's talk and letters.

I leave it to the independent, unbiased readers (if such exist) to decide for themselves which of us has provided the more persuasive arguments in this debate.

I thank you for the time you have taken to respond to my various posts and the thought you have given to your answers and arguments. I hope that we can at least agree to disagree on this subject reasonably cordially, while acknowledging the strength of conviction that underlies our disgreement.

LK

BobRyan said:
My interest is in doing what the atheist darwinists CAN't do -- right from the start. SHOW a devoted and well accepted member of the other side MAKING YOUR CASE for you!

This is a level of objectivity that the other guys can only whine about -- but never match.

Oh for crying out loud, have you never met a Christian biologist? Well, Mr Stein goes a long way out of his way in his movie to not show you any, but there are thousands of Christians, Muslims and Jews who can and do accept evolution. The most obvious case is this forum's own "The Barbarian"! He/She is fighting for Evolution despite being as good a Christian as anyone! You are epically, epically wrong if you think no Christian has ever supported evolution.

BobRyan said:
Evolutionary theory is supported by much more evidence than that which is present in the fossil record.

CLEARLY it would NEED TO BE given the truth of Patterson's arguments. My objective is not to assail every possible argument for Darwinism. I am simply taking one glaringly obvious point at a time. NOT "all at once".

Yes it would need to be, and guess what? IT IS. Unlike creationism, in science you need a LOT of irrefutable evidence before you go about making a claim that is accepted by the rest of the academic community.

that might be true -- and IF SO then one would hope that even an atheist darwinist "could bring themselves" to ADMIT to the SAME points Patterson outlines instead of continually arguing "all news is good news" regarding his statements.

Been there, done that. I have told you that Mr Patterson is right. However I have also told you that your interpretation is WRONG and you have not managed to even begin to show otherwise. Patterson did not point out any flaws in a theory. Complications yes, flaws no. Recognise there is a difference. Go back to high school.

BobRyan said:
I am certain that science progresses every year -- I am not sure that the religious arguments of darwinists also do that,

What religious arguments?

BobRyan said:
No it would not -- since the statement Patterson made was about SCIENCE -- his argument was that the SCIENCE of studying fossils does not lend ITSELF to telling if a fossil is ancestor of another fossil or descendant of another.

This has been thoroughly explained. Every time you try to make this argument again, you are only parading your own ignorance about as a badge of creationist honour.

BobRyan said:
How instructive to the unbiased objective reader!

Nothing to say here, but it made me laugh so I'm posting it.

BobRyan said:
1. That is revisionism when it comes to what we can all read in those letters and in that 1981 speech.

If it posed any problem, it would certainly have been addressed since then. Thing is it doesn't.

BobRyan said:
2. ANY summation of ANYONES published work by me - would be as much ignored and glossed over as you are already doing with the report on what Patterson stated.

obviously.

Not if it was cited with reliable references... which would be difficult for a creationist. What was the ninth commandment again?

BobRyan said:
3. NO attempt at all has been made to master the level of objectivity that I demonstrate in going to the SOURCE on the "other side" and showing that even they "see the flaws in the argument"!

You have quite a skewed definition if you think that using a quotation is an objective argument. Quotations are about as subjective as one can possibly get. When you go back to school to learn the fundamental principles of science, why not enrol in a semester of English101 as well?

XolotlOfMictlan said:
Patterson is correct in saying that you cannot say that a skull in on the direct paternal line from the linkage to modern human or chimpanzee, because the line branches in so many places, many of these branches may never be found.

Patterson never concerns himself with simply "human or chimpanzee" rather Patterson points to a fundamental flaw in the darwinst pattern of "stories easy enough to make up -- but they are not science" when he says that the SCIENCE itself can never tell us what species a given fossil it ANCESTOR TO or DECENDANT OF -- period.

And the example he gives is sweeping and general for he selects the fossil having most-favored transitional status -- Archaeopteryx and he applies this to the HIGHEST level of species comparison examples - reptiles-to-bird. So not even primate-primate-primate.

At that HIGH level Patterson says - darwinists are STILL engaged in "story telling" if they pretend to know what Achaeopteryx is ancestor TO -- or descendant OF.

From a Letter by Patterson Written TO Sunderland –

"...statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."

On the other hand -- they COULD simply "affirm the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means" by insisting "THIS IS a transitional form EVEN though we don't know what it is ancestor TO or descendant OF... because... it just IS we know it IS".

XolotlOfMictlan
However, from studying the skulls and comparing them to other skulls, it is fairly trivial to be able to say that the skull belongs within a certain section of the extended family tree.

PATTERSON
The reason is that statements about ancestry and descent are not applicable in the fossil record. Is Archaeopteryx the ancestor of all birds? Perhaps yes, perhaps no: there is no way of answering the question. It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favored by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way to put them to the test."

Patterson to Sunderland

XolotlOfMictlan
Do you know what gradualism is? Well assuming you don't (since if you did, you certainly wouldn't have shot yourself in the foot by posting that quote) I'll tell you. Gradualism (which Patterson supports as per your quotation) is one of the two theories on how evolution works, both of which are valid in certain scenarios. Gradualism is a bit harder to picture than the standard Punctuated Equillibrium model. Gradualism states that evolution proceeded slowly over large time intervals and that everything is constantly evolving, only at a slow rate. Punctuated Equillibrium states that there is very little evolutionary change between short periods of rapid evolution.

which brings us back to the start 'AGAIN"

yawwwwwwn

My argument has nothing to do with either smooth gradual transition or jumps as in the punctuated model - (Known to almost all mankind at this point)... Though I appreciate your need to continally circle back and rehearsw ideas that are not solving your problem -- I would appreciate it if you would stick with the point at hand.

The example PATTERSON gives is archaeopteryx and the TRANSITION is from "reptiles to birds" which is a huge gap -- with a claim to "transitional status" being made while completely in the dark as to "ANCESTOR OF WHAT" and "Descendant of WHAT" so much as that Patterson says "Maybe yes -- mabye no.. there is no way to answer the question"

The argument is NOT that this is done in one step or a million and one steps -- the argument is that you HAVE TO HAVE PARENTS that have children and the children have to show some level of "CHANGE" on the way to "Becoming birds".

ARCHAEOPTERYX has to be IN THAT chain "someplace" --- does not matter if you pick a gradual scenario OR "the hopeful monsters" of PE. STILL the archaeopteryx fossil has to be SHOWN to be DESCENDANT of something NOT Archaeopteryx and ANCESTOR to something NOT archaeopteryx for this evolutionist story telling to pan out.

AND THAT is the PROBLEM!

Simply pointing out as you do that the darwinists are "Affirming the fact WHILE claiming ignorance and debating the means" (as you do below) does nothing to promote your argument

XolotlOfMictlan
If there is any debate in the scientific community regarding the origin of species, it is between these two theories, both of which are ways of looking at evolution. I thank you for bringing up this quote, for it, more than any other Patterson quote yet, shows him to be an obvious supporter of the theory of evolution. You've saved me a lot of time by digging this up.

I am simply here to make your life easier.

Seriously I would love it if I could get darwinists to FOCUS on those two letters from Patterson.

BobRyan said:

XolotlOfMictlan
You do not have to know how something works to say that it does.

Is this where you DEFEND "Affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means"?

Is this another "All news is good news" attempt from Darwinists???

XolotlOfMictlan
What causes gravity? Well I don't know- it is governed by mass- but when I drop my pencil, it still falls to the floor. Thankfully we have science here to try to find the means.

I see so -- "affiring the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means" is a "good thing" when Darwinists do it.

(Hello --- "All knews is good news")???

Science has found the means of Evolution, and it's called natural selection. I already explained ToE, so you can do some homework and look up natural selection for yourself.

As a side note, "Affirming the fact while claiming ignorance to the means" is another does of your trademark irony. How would you say mankind developed? God did it? Uhm, that's about as helpful as saying it happened by magic. If anyone has affirmed a fact whilst claiming ignorance to the means, it has to be the ID'ers.

OK Bad if Christians do it -- but GOOD when Darwinists do it.

I see the point now.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is PAtterson on that SAME POINT.

Colin PATTERSON:

Bob

XolotlOfMictlan said:
BobRyan said:

Oh for crying out loud, have you never met a Christian biologist? Well, Mr Stein goes a long way out of his way in his movie to not show you any, but there are thousands of Christians, Muslims and Jews who can and do accept evolution. The most obvious case is this forum's own "The Barbarian"!

I see - you wish to "grossly equivocate" between a Barbarian Christian example as someone who is "In my group" and the LEADING Atheist DArwinist who was the senior Paleontologist at the British museum of natural history - as someone in the DARWINIST -- (yes even ATHEIST darwinist camp)??

Truly darwinism IS CONVEYING "Anti-knowledge" IF the best you can do by way of objectivity in appealing to a leading spokesman for the YEC POV -- is offer "BARBARIAN" as your example of an argument from a leading world accepted YEC source that in fact makes YOUR CASE JUST as I have used the leading atheist DARWINIST source to make MINE!!

Even Barbarian would have to choke on that one!

I just can't believe the levels that you guys will go to in order to "pretend" not to get the point raised.

Astounding!!

Bob

Rayle, your position that the "process of evolution" is testable by the scientific method is simply false. There are no experiments which can be done to verify it. Nor is there any evidence of evolution. The theory of evolution sets forth a model to explain observed phenomena. Intelligent Design does the same thing. Neither is more or less "scientific" than the other.

All that has happened in the past is history. History is a statement of unique events the truth of which is not testable by the scientific method. Evidence for some history comes from written records, or observational knowledge passed on to progeny.

Any "history" which concerns eras prior to man's first-hand knowledge is mere theory, (the proposal of which is based on one's world view) to explain observational data .

Paidion,

I agree with your post. A few years back I started teaching this to my children so that they would learn to draw their own conclusions from the evidence that they see. I wanted to teach them to think, but also not to follow popular beliefs because of laziness or intimidation. I want them to understand that all people have a world-view from which they start and that includes, but is not limited to, believers. It's never objective, and when people deny this, then they are trying to deceive...or they are deceived. The Lord bless you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back