Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Is ID science?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Rayle, your position that the "process of evolution" is testable by the scientific method is simply false. There are no experiments which can be done to verify it.

Of course there are, and they've been done. For example, if humans and chimpanzees once had a common ancestor, then (because they have different numbers of chromosomes) there must have been a chromosome fusion at one point. The predicted fusion was found not long ago, with centromeres and telemeres precisely where they were predicted.

The predicted common descent of all organisms was tested by DNA analysis, and confirmed. There are many, many other such tests. Would you like to learn more about them?

Nor is there any evidence of evolution.

It's been directly observed. Can't do better than that.

The theory of evolution sets forth a model to explain observed phenomena.

The theory has been repeatedly confirmed.

Intelligent Design does the same thing.

No. ID is just warmed-over creationism. And the guys who invented the makeover admitted in the wedge document that it was a religion.

All that has happened in the past is history. History is a statement of unique events the truth of which is not testable by the scientific method.

See above. Much of history has been revised, as archaeology discovers more about things that happened in the past. If you think that we can't know about things we haven't directly observed, OJ would have liked you to be on the jury in his trial.

Paidion said:
Rayle, your position that the "process of evolution" is testable by the scientific method is simply false. There are no experiments which can be done to verify it. Nor is there any evidence of evolution......
A slightly roundabout way of answering your point, but if it is observed that the closeness of the relationship of one human being to another can be determined by techniques of molecular biology, e.g.that paternity can be established by DNA analysis, then the closeness of the relationship of one species to another can also be established by similar techniques. That relationships amongst species that this technique establishes match the nested hierarchy of relationships determined by observing and identifying shared traits appears convincing evidence supporting the idea of common descent and thus confirming the predictions of evolutionary theory.

Embryology also reveals otherwise obscured patterns of relationships amongst species, while the observed fact that the gene that controls the development of the mouse's mammalian eye can be transplanted to a fly embryo where it will lead to the development of an eye with the structure of a fly eye is also indicative of the shared genetic heritage of all species.

BobRyan said:
Patterson never concerns himself with simply "human or chimpanzee" rather Patterson points to a fundamental flaw in the darwinst pattern of "stories easy enough to make up -- but they are not science" when he says that the SCIENCE itself can never tell us what species a given fossil it ANCESTOR TO or DECENDANT OF -- period.

You don't understand a thing about evolution do you? I've explained this time and time again, but it seems you are unable to grasp it. Chimps and humans were and example only, it is no different to any other species. I can't be bothered explaining it again, since if you haven't gotten it by now you are clearly un-teachable.

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan
Do you know what gradualism is? Well assuming you don't (since if you did, you certainly wouldn't have shot yourself in the foot by posting that quote) I'll tell you. Gradualism (which Patterson supports as per your quotation) is one of the two theories on how evolution works, both of which are valid in certain scenarios. Gradualism is a bit harder to picture than the standard Punctuated Equillibrium model. Gradualism states that evolution proceeded slowly over large time intervals and that everything is constantly evolving, only at a slow rate. Punctuated Equillibrium states that there is very little evolutionary change between short periods of rapid evolution.

which brings us back to the start 'AGAIN"

Uh-uh. The point here is that Patterson supports gradualism, and therefore supports evolution. This is not negotiable in any way. Brings up an interesting few contradictions if your interpretations of what he says are true doesn't it?

BobRyan said:
yawwwwwwn

How very mature. I have a genuine interest in knowledge. If knowledge and reason are not of your interest, I'll leave you to your ignorant bliss.

BobRyan said:
My argument has nothing to do with either smooth gradual transition or jumps as in the punctuated model - (Known to almost all mankind at this point)... Though I appreciate your need to continally circle back and rehearsw ideas that are not solving your problem -- I would appreciate it if you would stick with the point at hand.

Well what's the point at hand? Mine is that Patterson obviously supports evolution, despite your interpretatation of what he says. Either your interpretation is wrong, or he contradicts himself and is therefore unreliable as a source. Take your pick.

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan
If there is any debate in the scientific community regarding the origin of species, it is between these two theories, both of which are ways of looking at evolution. I thank you for bringing up this quote, for it, more than any other Patterson quote yet, shows him to be an obvious supporter of the theory of evolution. You've saved me a lot of time by digging this up.

I am simply here to make your life easier.

Seriously I would love it if I could get darwinists to FOCUS on those two letters from Patterson.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Bob dodging the subject AGAIN!

BobRyan said:
Is this where you DEFEND "Affirming the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means"?

Is this another "All news is good news" attempt from Darwinists???

Yeap, for the last 150 years, all news for evolution has actually been pretty damn good.

BobRyan said:
I see so -- "affiring the fact while claiming ignorance as to the means" is a "good thing" when Darwinists do it.

Nope, it's never a good thing, that's why we have science to figure out what the means is.

BobRyan said:
Science has found the means of Evolution, and it's called natural selection. I already explained ToE, so you can do some homework and look up natural selection for yourself.

As a side note, "Affirming the fact while claiming ignorance to the means" is another does of your trademark irony. How would you say mankind developed? God did it? Uhm, that's about as helpful as saying it happened by magic. If anyone has affirmed a fact whilst claiming ignorance to the means, it has to be the ID'ers.

OK Bad if Christians do it -- but GOOD when Darwinists do it.

*Bob dodges the subject*
Bad when there's no attempt made to figure out what the means was, good when you then go about looking for the means.

BobRyan said:
I see - you wish to "grossly equivocate" between a Barbarian Christian example as someone who is "In my group" and the LEADING Atheist DArwinist who was the senior Paleontologist at the British museum of natural history - as someone in the DARWINIST -- (yes even ATHEIST darwinist camp)??

Patterson supports evolution, same as Barbarian, only Barbarian's Christian. He's on your side, but he sees reason.

If you want a pro-Darwin comment from a "leading YEC" (oxymoron, I laughed) source, you'll never ever find one, simply because they are as stubborn as barnyard animals and about as smart. If being able to consider both sides of a debate is a good thing and (assuming) that's what Patterson's done then that's:

Darwin: 1 YEC: 0

Patterson is not THE leading Darwinist, he's just an educated man with no more academic clout than any other proponet of evolution.

BobRyan said:
I just can't believe the levels that you guys will go to in order to "pretend" not to get the point raised.

I can't believe the levels you go to in order to pretend you have a point in the first place.
I can't believe the levels we go to in failed attempts to make people like you understand high-school level science so that you'll realise you don't have a point. I don't know why I bother.

If ID would be science woudln't there be scientific resulst of their research. I have yet to see such data. All I ever see is either bashing on evolution and other scientific theories or just stupid assumptions based on no evidence (Kent Hovind anyone?).

If there are any resulsts produced by a scientific process I would be happy to get them postet here so we can verify them (please post with source).

Greetings
Geth

lordkalvan said:
I leave it to the independent, unbiased readers (if such exist) to decide for themselves which of us has provided the more persuasive arguments in this debate.

Excellent.

I thank you for the time you have taken to respond to my various posts and the thought you have given to your answers and arguments. I hope that we can at least agree to disagree on this subject reasonably cordially, while acknowledging the strength of conviction that underlies our disgreement.

LK

No question about that. I too agree that the facts speak for themselves best left as an exercise for the reader.

I welcome the opportunity to agree to disagree on these points reasonably and cordially.

Bob

Geth said:
If ID would be science woudln't there be scientific resulst of their research. I have yet to see such data.

Turn your radio on.

Set the scan mode for the radio in your car.

You are seeing the ability to "discriminate in favor of ID EM wave forms" in living color.

Obviously.

Bob

XolotlOfMictlan said:
BobRyan said:
Patterson never concerns himself with simply "human or chimpanzee" rather Patterson points to a fundamental flaw in the darwinst pattern of "stories easy enough to make up -- but they are not science" when he says that the SCIENCE itself can never tell us what species a given fossil it ANCESTOR TO or DECENDANT OF -- period.

You don't understand a thing about evolution do you?

This is the part where you needed to come up with "substance" not simply "Harrumph.. smoke and furry".

I realize that kind of non-answer probably flies very well in Darwinist circles -- but keep in mind.. I am not one of those affected by what Patterson calls the "Anti-knowledge" of Darwinism.

So you are going to need facts and the practice of focussing "on the inconvenient details".

So far -- that statement provides "nothing" but hot air.

Come to think of it -- the lack of substance in Darwinism WAS the subject of Patterson's complaint in that 1981 talk! Hmmm "wonder why"!

I've explained this time and time again, but it seems you are unable to grasp it. Chimps and humans were and example only,

This is the tiring "pretend not to understand the point of the argument" that Darwinist resort to soooo often it is getting old.

YOU are the one that STARTED with skull of species-X as "example" and broadened the PROBLEM of "knowing the ancestor and descendants" of species-x INTO the "problem" of knowing the "ancestor and descendants" OF ALL Humans, Chimps and species-x SO THAT you could identify a "COMMON ANCESTOR" simply by the "science of what fossils tell you"... Under a scenario where "FOSSILS DO NOT tell you who they are ANCESTOR TO or DESCENDANT OF".

You simply ballooned your own problem with species-x where you COULD NOT get from the fossil identification of it's ancestor species OR descendant species into "a zillion and 1" problems.

Obviously.

Why do you keep "pretending" to fail to grasp the point of the argument "as if" that is some kind of solution for you??

How is it you think anyone who is NOT a devotee to atheist darwinist dogma is going to fall for that kind of non-response?

What are you thinking?

Bob

BobRyan said:
I see - you wish to "grossly equivocate" between a Barbarian Christian example as someone who is "In my group" and the LEADING Atheist DArwinist who was the senior Paleontologist at the British museum of natural history - as someone in the DARWINIST -- (yes even ATHEIST darwinist camp)??

XoM
Patterson supports evolution, same as Barbarian, only Barbarian's Christian. He's on your side

Barbarian "is on MY SIDE"???

XoM
Patterson is not THE leading Darwinist, he's just an educated man with no more academic clout than any other proponet of evolution.

I rest my case on the subject of Darwinism conveying actual anti-knowledge with those two wildly entertaining statements from XoM.

ANYONE who has read these threads has GOT to choke on the "Barbarian is on Bob Ryan's side" fantasy.

ANYONE who knows anything about PAtterson as the senior Paleontologist at the BRITISH museum of Natural history -- essentially a monument FOR Darwin in his own backyard.. has got to choke on that "no more significant than XoM" patently false argument that uses gross equivocation.

I can't believe you guys actually agree to fall for that stuff!

Amazing!

purely Amazing!!

Bob

I

BobRyan said:
Geth said:
If ID would be science woudln't there be scientific resulst of their research. I have yet to see such data.

Turn your radio on.

Set the scan mode for the radio in your car.

You are seeing the ability to "discriminate in favor of ID EM wave forms" in living color.

Obviously.

Bob

Please post a scientific paper or a link to a website where this topic is dealt with. I'd realy like to understand this phenomenom. I would also appreciate further scientific research papers on ID.
Just telling me to accept it won't make me do it. If your evidence is compelling enough I would gladly change my mind.

Thats why I accepted evolution as a good explenation for the diversity of life. I checked the evidence and it occured logical to me.

Greetings
Geth

It is instructive that in the "deny-all" approach used by some devotees to atheist darwinism - EVEN the glaringly obvious fact that their RADIO can engage in SCAN function that discriminates in FAVOR of ID EM wave forms while filtiner OUT (discriminating AGAINST) background noise ... is "debatable".

How sad that the "anti-knowledge" embedded into Darwinism (or as Patterson calls it "evolutionISM") that they should take this "blinders-on" solution "to every point" no matter how glaringly obvious.

Bob

BobRyan said:
It is instructive that in the "deny-all" approach used by some devotees to atheist darwinism - EVEN the glaringly obvious fact that their RADIO can engage in SCAN function that discriminates in FAVOR of ID EM wave forms while filtiner OUT (discriminating AGAINST) background noise ... is "debatable".

How sad that the "anti-knowledge" embedded into Darwinism (or as Patterson calls it "evolutionISM") that they should take this "blinders-on" solution "to every point" no matter how glaringly obvious.
If the point is so 'glaringly obvious', why do you suppose so many of us have difficulty grasping it? I have pointed out before that, whereas I accept the validity of the analogy you make, it fails any evidential test for supporting the notion that ID can be identified in biology. That those who design the equipment that detects ID in the EM spectrum already know that that which they seek exists, how it is formed, that it has been created by other human beings, and thus they know how to recognize and identify it are all things that have yet to be demonstrated in biology. Perhaps you need to develop a better argument.

The Bible text is filled with Creationist statements like we see in Exodus 20:8-11 that are not "Darwinism" in any way shape or form. In fact they are more along the lines of "FOR IN SIX DAYS the LORD MADE..."

Darwin -- grasped it.
Dawkins - grasped it.
Provine - grasped it.
Meyers - grasped it.
Huxley - grasped it.
bible Believing Christians like me "grasp it"...

It seems that the ONLY guys pretending NOT to be able to read the creationist statements in the Bible and see "anything but Darwinism as they read" are the so-called "Darwinist Christians". But they "do that" by promising to never exegete texts like Exodus 20:8-11 "apparently".

I have to conclude that the same kind of "pretend not to notice the obvious" deny-all retreat seen in the simple Exodus 20:8-11 example ALSO comes into play when it comes to "setting your radio on scan and watching the electronics effectivly discriminate IN FAVOR of ID EM wave forms".

Not too surprising that the methods of denial are the same.

They retreat in a kind of "religious" fashion in that deny-all for the sake of darwinist orthodoxy solution as if Darwinism was "revealed truth".

Evolution AS FAITH

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution)

A 1981 lecture presented at New York City's American Museum of Natural History

[quote:41382]
Colin PATTERSON:

It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not to be taught in high school, and perhaps that's all we know about it...

about eighteen months ago...I woke up and I realized that all my life I had been duped into taking evolutionism as revealed truth in some way."

[/quote:41382]

Bob

Bobbie, ID has the freedom to follow the data where it leads. I don't think there are armed guards at the institute stopping them. Correct me if I am wrong though.

But, one would imagine that would have to be the case, since no theories have came out of ID. The data isn't leading them anywhere.

The question is what is to be taught in science class. Typically that is reserved for factually backed theories like ToE.

Once ID can conjure up some testable and falsifiable theories based on the data, it can be taught in class. Don't hold your breath though.

Just like we are not holding our breath for you to finally show us any theories that ID has developed based on "where the data leads".

BobRyan said:
XolotlOfMictlan said:
You don't understand a thing about evolution do you?

This is the part where you needed to come up with "substance" not simply "Harrumph.. smoke and furry".

I realize that kind of non-answer probably flies very well in Darwinist circles -- but keep in mind.. I am not one of those affected by what Patterson calls the "Anti-knowledge" of Darwinism.

So you are going to need facts and the practice of focussing "on the inconvenient details".

I find it scathingly ironic that you should ask for facts and accuse me of ignoring inconvenient details seeing how far out of your way you've gone to ignore all the facts I've given you. I have to wonder if you forge on blindly through stubbornness or if you actually don't understand what I'm saying. If it's the former, I have nothing more to say to you. If it's the latter... well I tried.

BobRyan said:
I've explained this time and time again, but it seems you are unable to grasp it. Chimps and humans were and example only,

This is the tiring "pretend not to understand the point of the argument" that Darwinist resort to soooo often it is getting old.

If I'm pretending, it's better than someone in your position who sincerely doesn't understand the point of anything remotely relating to the argument.

BobRyan said:
YOU are the one that STARTED with skull of species-X as "example" and broadened the PROBLEM of "knowing the ancestor and descendants" of species-x INTO the "problem" of knowing the "ancestor and descendants" OF ALL Humans, Chimps and species-x SO THAT you could identify a "COMMON ANCESTOR" simply by the "science of what fossils tell you"... Under a scenario where "FOSSILS DO NOT tell you who they are ANCESTOR TO or DESCENDANT OF".

You simply ballooned your own problem with species-x where you COULD NOT get from the fossil identification of it's ancestor species OR descendant species into "a zillion and 1" problems.

Obviously.

Hence my claim you don't understand me. If I didn't have an adequate explanation, if I was deliberately ignoring inconvenient details, why would I then make that example? Why would I admit that you can't trace a line of direct ancestory?

Because it doesn't matter one little bit. It takes only a little logic to figure out why.

BobRyan said:
How is it you think anyone who is NOT a devotee to atheist darwinist dogma is going to fall for that kind of non-response?

What are you thinking?

I'm thinking that almost anyone else who's been tracking the progress of our little debate here would have succeeded where you failed and been able to comprehend the basic reasoning I have given as to why the points you make hold no weight. Every non-response post I've made since giving my initial explanations is just harvesting your responses, making it more and more obvious that you don't know what either of us are talking about.

Also, my point about Barbarian being on your side was perhaps incorrectly framed. Both of you are Christian, but only one of you can handle the truth.
Barbarian shows that there is no fence between religion and science. The only time you get sides is when fundamentalists like you wall off everyone else.

Your comment about the importance of peoples opinions is also somewhat misinformed. The idea I was trying to convey is that Patterson can say what he wants. Darwin could say what he wants. You or I can say what we want. Who's going to listen? No-one.

Patterson can assemble material evidence, as Darwin did, I can assemble material evidence and then each of us can publish our findings. Then we will be listened to. My point is that opinions alone are worthless, no matter whose they are. To sway the thinking of the scientific community takes evidence and until a scientist of any level produces evidence, no-one's going to listen to them.

lordkalvan said:
BobRyan said:

If the point is so 'glaringly obvious', why do you suppose so many of us have difficulty grasping it?

Did you read PAtterson's statement on "anti-knowledge"??

Patterson shows how HE HIMSELF was "duped for over 20 years"

Patterson confirms that Darwinism is being promoted as if it were "revealed truth" that is - a theological argument.

The FAITH based responses that we get from Darwinists are exactly what we would expect given the truth of Patterson's statements -- and now you ask why we are getting such a response???

Take a look at the "Evolution vs evolutionist" thread and SEE in living video debate "color" how it is that they first "pretend not to see the point" in almost all of the exchanges where a problem arises rather than "directly solving the problem".

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32996

It is right there -- click on that link.

I have pointed out before that, whereas I accept the validity of the analogy you make, it fails any evidential test for supporting the notion that ID can be identified in biology.

You have stated your assumption in that regard -- but without evidence.

Conversely we DO see the SAME principle applicable between the ID example of the EM wave form AND the "applied chemistry" example of DNA-mRNA protein synthesis when you consider that the BACKGROUND noise in BOTH cases is accepted to be "what rocks can do by themselves given enough time, mass and energy".

I.e the glaringly obvious in this case.

Yet I will concede that it is not "more glaringly obvious" than is the obvious summation language in the Exodus 20:8-11 example showing that the work week and the creation week are the same cycle of time. So "pretending not to see the point" in cases where the incredibly obvious point is staring us in the face is not "A new tactic" for Darwinists on this topic.

I see no reason for "surprise" that they would do it again here.

Bob

VaultZero4Me said:
Bobbie, ID has the freedom to follow the data where it leads. I don't think there are armed guards at the institute stopping them. Correct me if I am wrong though.

But, one would imagine that would have to be the case, since no theories have came out of ID. The data isn't leading them anywhere.

The question is what is to be taught in science class. Typically that is reserved for factually backed theories like ToE.

Once ID can conjure up some testable and falsifiable theories based on the data, it can be taught in class. Don't hold your breath though.

Just like we are not holding our breath for you to finally show us any theories that ID has developed based on "where the data leads".

:oops: still holding my breath.

Bob said -

Obviously.

Why do you keep "pretending" to fail to grasp the point of the argument "as if" that is some kind of solution for you??

What are you thinking?

XolotlOfMictlan said:
I find it scathingly ironic that you should ask for facts and accuse me of ignoring inconvenient details

Indeed that is the problem with your "stories easy enough to make up aboug how one thing came from another -- but they are not science" solution.

"inconvenient facts" and the first one is that in the wild claim to "transitional form" you are saddled with the sad fact that NO fossil can show "scientifically" what is ancestor to or descendant OF -- other than it's OWN KIND. That is the ONLY thing we know "scientifically" about it's lineage.

Having that as the "science LIMIT" you are then left with "Stories easy enough to make up" as Patterson points out.

Was I supposed to "not notice"??

XolotlOfMictlan said:
If I'm pretending, it's better than someone in your position

Again you may be imagining that such a tactic "is working" but as my point at the top of this post shows -- it is not.

BobRyan said:

Obviously.

XolotlOfMictlan said:
Hence my claim you don't understand me.

Wonderful.

I think that illustrates our differences perfectly!

XolotlOfMictlan said:
Why would I admit that you can't trace a line of direct ancestory?

Because it doesn't matter one little bit. It takes only a little logic to figure out why.

I.e. smoke-mirrors some "harrumph!" and you get by that little "detail" nicely among fellow darwinist devotees -- but it does not work outside of that system of what Patterson called "anti-knowledge".

OUTSIDE of that system you need a logical compelling argument to solve that problem.

BobRyan said:

What are you thinking?

I'm thinking that almost anyone else who's been tracking the progress of our little debate here would have succeeded

I think fellow darwinists are buying that kind of circular non-answer.

But now you say that you "imagine" that non-darwinists are going for it too??

What "evidence" did you have for that?

XolotlOfMictlan said:
Your comment about the importance of peoples opinions is also somewhat misinformed. The idea I was trying to convey is that Patterson can say what he wants. Darwin could say what he wants. You or I can say what we want. Who's going to listen? No-one.

Interesting idea.

But I am going on the position that the unbiased objective reader IS GOING TO NOTICE that my argument is SOOO objective that EVEN the OTHER SIDE (well known icons on the other side in fact) admit to many of the salient points of my argument EVEN as they stay "stuck" in an atheist darwinist religion.

Darwinists CONFIRMING some of the disputed salient points in my argument.

No non-Darwinists arguing FOR any of the disputed salient points in yours.

So far no darwinist has been able to match that level of objective confirmation of a disputed point.

Glaringly obvious to the reader

That is the real problem that you have in this case.

Bob

BobRyan said:
lordkalvan said:
BobRyan said:

If the point is so 'glaringly obvious', why do you suppose so many of us have difficulty grasping it?

Patterson confirms that Darwinism is being promoted as if it were "revealed truth" that is - a theological argument.
Dr Patterson says nothing whatsoever about ID and your reference to your opinion of the impact and interpretation of his words is irrelevant. Not every argument made against you reduces to Darwinist propaganda which can be countered by referencing whatever Dr Patterson may have written or said in two letters and one address nearly twenty years ago.

[quote:c115e]I have pointed out before that, whereas I accept the validity of the analogy you make, it fails any evidential test for supporting the notion that ID can be identified in biology.

Conversely we DO see the SAME principle applicable between the ID example of the EM wave form AND the "applied chemistry" example of DNA-mRNA protein synthesis when you consider that the BACKGROUND noise in BOTH cases is accepted to be "what rocks can do by themselves given enough time, mass and energy".

I.e the glaringly obvious in this case.[/quote:c115e]
Again, analogy is not evidence: that X is analogous to Y is not evidence that X is the same as Y. You are the one making the point that because X is analogous to Y, X is the same as Y; you are the one who needs to provide the evidence that your argument is actually supported by observation.
Yet I will concede that it is not "more glaringly obvious" than is the obvious summation language in the Exodus 20:8-11 example showing that the work week and the creation week are the same cycle of time. So "pretending not to see the point" in cases where the incredibly obvious point is staring us in the face is not "A new tactic" for Darwinists on this topic.

Others can decide who is or who is not pretending not to recognize 'the incredibly obvious point' and who should and should not be 'surprised' at who is doing so.

BobRyan said:
lordkalvan said:
BobRyan said:

lordkalvan said:
Dr Patterson says nothing whatsoever about ID

Interesting dodge of the point raise. You asked why it is that you and others are claiming "not to see the point in the ID" argument. I simply point to the flawed logic that Patterson already admits to being within the darwinist camp such that we have someone "duped for 20 years" and we have darwinism promoted as "revealed truth" with "anti-knowledge" being used to propel the belief system forward.

When you ask how those in such a system could be confounded by the simple direct example of ID in the EM case vs the "applied chemistry case" I simply point to "the obvious".

and your reference to your opinion of the impact and interpretation of his words is irrelevant.

Fine -- then I will just quote Patterson HIMSELF and let the reader "see it" in the text.

I took the liberty of thinking that you might have recalled Patterson's exact words and would not suppose that comment to be "just me" but apparently it slipped your mind.

fine - here it is "yet again".

Evols Contradicting their own storytelling;
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Fmh8PCmrlk

SALIENT points in the Darwinist argument merely ASSUMED but not PROVEN:

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution) spoke at the American Museum of Natural History 1981

“Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing…that is true?
I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural history and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology seminar in the University of Chicago, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said “I know one thing – it ought not to be taught in high schoolâ€Â[/b]

(Speech that was not published but transcripts are said to be available) Similar views given by Patterson in “Deducing from Materialism†National Review Aug 29, 1986)

ANTI-KNOWLEDGE
Evolution AS FAITH

Colin Patterson (Senior paleontologist at the British Natural History Museum and author of the Museum’s general text on evolution)

A 1981 lecture presented at New York City's American Museum of Natural History

[quote:2643a]
Colin PATTERSON:

"...I'm speaking on two subjects, evolutionism and creationism, and I believe it's true to say that I know nothing whatever about either...One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view,well, let's call it non-evolutionary , was last year I had a sudden realization.

"For over twenty years I had thought that I was working on evolution in some way. One morning I woke up, and something had happened in the night, and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years, and there was not one thing I knew about it. "That was quite a shock that one could be misled for so long...

It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not to be taught in high school, and perhaps that's all we know about it...

about eighteen months ago...I woke up and I realized that all my life I had been duped into taking evolutionism as revealed truth in some way."

Patterson - again quoting Gillespie accusing that those "'...holding creationist ideas could plead ignorance of the means and affirm only the fact,'" Patterson countered, "That seems to summarize the feeling I get in talking to evolutionists today. They plead ignorance of the means of transformation, but affirm only the fact: 'Yes it has...we know it has taken place.'"

"...Now I think that many people in this room would acknowledge that during the last few years, if you had thought about it at all, you've experienced a shift from evolution as knowledge to evolution as faith. I know that's true of me, and I think it's true of a good many of you in here...

"...Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, but seems somehow to convey anti-knowledge [/u], apparent knowledge which is actually harmful to systematics..."

[/quote:2643a]

I highly recommend "those very words" to the reader.

Not every argument made against you reduces to Darwinist propaganda which can be countered by referencing whatever Dr Patterson may have written or said

Very true. At times Darwinists do have an argument not based on an obvious fallacy in logic. I concede that point readily. But when they do resort to a "deny-all" kind of pretense -- I am more than happy to remind the objective unbiased reader about the source of that kind of thinking as Patterson discovered it and reported it.

BTW one of those letters came in 1993 -- are you suggesting that every ten years Patterson needed to say "and I still mean that... and yes I still mean that today"??

Again - this is flawed reasoning.

I have pointed out before that, whereas I accept the validity of the analogy you make, it fails any evidential test for supporting the notion that ID can be identified in biology.

1. I argue that a "principle" for identifying ID (that is defining what it has to be contrasted TO) has already been established as a proven workable reliable method.

2. I argue that the same kind of test should ALSO be applied in the "applied chemistry" realm of Biology when trying to determine IF something in "applied chemistry" shows ID attributes as one might find it in the study of EM wave forms.

3. I do not argue that BECAUSE it is discovered to exist in the study of EM wave forms that therefore it MUST exist in the applied chemistry field "Biology". Rather I argue that the construct has been established and proven already in the EM field and we should be more than happy to apply that same rule of contrast -- in this particular form of applied chemistry.

L.K

I beg to differ.

Bob said

L.K
Again, analogy is not evidence: that X is analogous to Y is not evidence that X is the same as Y.

Again we are treated to the "deny-all" solution.

I am simply pointing to the obvious fact that the SAME "test for contrast" that was used in the EM wave form (the contrast to what "rocks can do given enough time, mass and energy) is AVAILABLE in the "applied chemistry example".

It is glaringly obvious -- as noted.

How one does the test and comes to a conclusion is not my point -- I am simply sticking with the incredibly obvious part of the argument -- because I know that each point -- no matter how obvious will be rejected in the "deny-all" solution some use... so I want them to have their chance to reveal their methods for the unbiased objective readers to see.

Bob said -

Again - my constant focus in revealing this "deny-all" solution that darwinists often resort to -- when faced with glaringly obvious problems (as in the case of Exodus 20:8-11 and in the case of ID PROVEN in the EM wave form arena yielding the benefit of a valid "CONTRAST TEST" for ID experiments in all other fields)

L.K
Others can decide who is or who is not pretending
[/quote]

Now you have my method exactly. The idea is to lead the discussion to these glaringly obvious points so that all unbiased objective readers easily see the contrast in methods.

All smoke and mirrors dissappear that way.

Bob

BobRyan said:
lordkalvan said:
Dr Patterson says nothing whatsoever about ID

Interesting dodge of the point raise. You asked why it is that you and others are claiming "not to see the point in the ID" argument. I simply point to the flawed logic that Patterson already admits to being within the darwinist camp such that we have someone "duped for 20 years" and we have darwinism promoted as "revealed truth" with "anti-knowledge" being used to propel the belief system forward.

When you ask how those in such a system could be confounded by the simple direct example of ID in the EM case vs the "applied chemistry case" I simply point to "the obvious".
I may have misunderstood your argument, in which case I apologize. However, you should be wary of avoiding claiming that, even if the conclusion you draw from Dr Patterson's remarks is entirely valid, it logically follows that evolutionary theory is wholly invalidated and the claims you make on behalf of ID must therefore be substantiated. And if you are telling me again that what you consider to be the obvious must be obvious, I again point to the weakness of argument from analogy without any evidence to make that analogy substantive.

[quote:77c2f]
Not every argument made against you reduces to Darwinist propaganda which can be countered by referencing whatever Dr Patterson may have written or said

Very true. At times Darwinists do have an argument not based on an obvious fallacy in logic. I concede that point readily. But when they do resort to a "deny-all" kind of pretense -- I am more than happy to remind the objective unbiased reader about the source of that kind of thinking as Patterson discovered it and reported it.[/quote:77c2f]
Asking you for evidence to support your analogy is not denying anything; it is simply asking for clarification of your argument.

BTW one of those letters came in 1993 -- are you suggesting that every ten years Patterson needed to say "and I still mean that... and yes I still mean that today"??
No need for the double interrogative; it doesn't make your question twice as devastating. Insofar as Dr Patterson has, after the event, contested the manner in which his words have been used by creationists against his intentions and clarified his conviction that evolutionary theory rests on sound principles, I rather think that if Dr Patterson meant something other than what he seems to say in these subsequent statements, and something different about his understanding of the soundness of evolutionary theory that is shown in the books and papers he wrote in the later years of his life, then the answer to your question would indeed be 'Yes'. That he failed to do this and, in fact, did quite the opposite, is surely significant.

Again - this is flawed reasoning.
I incline rather to view your reasoning as flawed in this case.

[quote:77c2f]I have pointed out before that, whereas I accept the validity of the analogy you make, it fails any evidential test for supporting the notion that ID can be identified in biology.

1. I argue that a "principle" for identifying ID (that is defining what it has to be contrasted TO) has already been established as a proven workable reliable method.[/quote:77c2f]
But only by reference to an example where the fact of ID is widely understood and recognized as a product of those supposedly looking for it.

2. I argue that the same kind of test should ALSO be applied in the "applied chemistry" realm of Biology when trying to determine IF something in "applied chemistry" shows ID attributes as one might find it in the study of EM wave forms.
But you can only be do this by assuming that the design and designers you are looking for are known to exist - because this is exactly what your EM analogy does - and that no alternative, plausible explanation is available that cannot be excluded.

3. I do not argue that BECAUSE it is discovered to exist in the study of EM wave forms that therefore it MUST exist in the applied chemistry field "Biology". Rather I argue that the construct has been established and proven already in the EM field and we should be more than happy to apply that same rule of contrast -- in this particular form of applied chemistry.
This qualifies your two previous statements and my understanding of your overall argument somewhat. However, it again appears to be the case that the 'rule of contrast' assumes that both the design and designer exist.

]Bob said

I don't follow this point. Perhaps this is my fault, but can you be a little more explicit about what you mean.

[quote:77c2f]L.K
Again, analogy is not evidence: that X is analogous to Y is not evidence that X is the same as Y.

Again we are treated to the "deny-all" solution.

I am simply pointing to the obvious fact that the SAME "test for contrast" that was used in the EM wave form (the contrast to what "rocks can do given enough time, mass and energy) is AVAILABLE in the "applied chemistry example".

It is glaringly obvious -- as noted.[/quote:77c2f]
Pointing to a weakness in your argument is not a 'deny-all' solution, it is pointing to a weakness in your argument. Your 'glaringly obvious .... test for contrast' appears to be founded entirely on the assumption that that contrast exists and can be confidently concluded to be evidence of ID. I do not see this.

How one does the test and comes to a conclusion is not my point -- I am simply sticking with the incredibly obvious part of the argument -- because I know that each point -- no matter how obvious will be rejected in the "deny-all" solution some use... so I want them to have their chance to reveal their methods for the unbiased objective readers to see.
You seem to not know how to do the test, but you seem confident in the result it will produce. Your continuing insistence on claiming that X or Y is 'obvious' or even 'glaringly obvious' is not helpful. It is quite clear from my responses that I do not see this. This may be because it is neither 'obvious' nor 'glaringly obvious' at all to anyone but yourself, or it may be because you have failed to explain it clearly enough. I am not ignoring your point, I am just not understanding it sufficiently well to see the 'obviousness' of it.

Bob said -

Please see my comment above. Your suggestion that I am 'pretending not to see the point' is unwarranted and unfair. Your continued return to point-making founded solely on your contention that something is 'incredibly obvious' is the argument of a young child.

Again - my constant focus in revealing this "deny-all" solution that darwinists often resort to -- when faced with glaringly obvious problems (as in the case of Exodus 20:8-11 and in the case of ID PROVEN in the EM wave form arena yielding the benefit of a valid "CONTRAST TEST" for ID experiments in all other fields)
That you regard the soundness of your conclusions from your analysis of Exodus 20:8-11 as posing a 'glaringly obvious problem' for anyone who disagrees with you is in no way evidence that your argument about 'ID proven' is also a posing 'glaringly obvious problem' for anyone who also disagrees with you about this. It is empty rhetoric.
[quote:77c2f]L.K
Others can decide who is or who is not pretending

Now you have my method exactly. The idea is to lead the discussion to these glaringly obvious points so that all unbiased objective readers easily see the contrast in methods.

All smoke and mirrors dissappear that way.[/quote:77c2f]
My immediate, knee-jerk reaction is to ask you to ST*U about what may or may not be 'glaringly obvious points', but that would be impolite. Most of your argument seems to reduce to this repeated assertion and accusations that when I say that a point is not 'glaringly obvious' to me I am 'deny[ing] all' or 'pretending not to see the point'. Maybe the fault is your own for failing to make your point clearly and and logically enough.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back