Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Is It Anything About The Sabbath That We Must Know?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
Monday 8-15-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 16 5782 56th. Summer Day

• The Sabbath is a memorial of creation. Every time we rest upon the seventh day, as God did at creation, we commemorate that grand event. (Exodus Twenty:11) It is also a sign between God and us that He sets us apart as His special people.
1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/facts-about-the-sabbath
34 facts about the Sabbath | Bibleinfo.com

Love, Walter

Hi WalterandDebbie

I'm rather of a mind that Jesus told us the truth about the Sabbath. It was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. God knows that the physical bodies that our souls inhabit needs rest. Working 7 days a week, which would ultimately lead to working forever, is not good for our bodies, minds or souls. The Sabbath was made for man to rest from his work just as it was used by God to rest from His work.

God bless,
Ted

Genesis 2:
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Sabbath is the seventh day, which by our calendar makes it a Saturday. It is the day God rested after creating everything including man and woman. God sanctified it meaning He set it apart from all the other days as a day He rested from all His work. From the time of Adam to that of Mt. Sinai it was never commanded as being a holy day or that all mankind was to rest on that day. It was a holy day as God being Holy and rested that day.

The Hebrew Sabbath was instituted by God given to Moses in Exodus 16 as a day that started from Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset as a day of remembrance or a memorial of the Exodus exile as God parted the sea bringing the Hebrews to the promised land by defeating their foes. Hebrews used a Lunar Calendar that is different from our Gregorian calendar we use today.

The Sabbath was a ceremonial law practiced and that of the Old Covenant, the same covenant that circumcised and sacrificed animals. Some may literally circumcise, but we do not sacrifice animals anymore. This ceremonial law was only for Israel and not the Gentiles as now under the new covenant that joins Israel and Gentiles together under the grace of God the ceremonial laws no longer exist as Jesus is now our sacrifice whom we find rest in.

Could you please post the commandment?
Do you mean these ones?

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

This is part of the ten, but not actually a commandment, but just something to keep in remembrance as being set apart as something holy.

All we need to know is take one day a week to rest and devote to the Lord. Otherwise drop all the Hebrew trappings. They tend to puff up the pride.

Do you mean these ones?

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall not murder.
You shall not steal.
You shall not covet.

This is part of the ten, but not actually a commandment, but just something to keep in remembrance as being set apart as something holy.
Yes. But I wanted to see how the other poster would have stated it.

This is also for Dorothy Mae .

I know that the early Christians changed the day to Sunday to honor the resurrection.

But they DID break one oh the 10 commandments. They called it The Lord's Day instead of The Sabbath.

I know that the early Christians changed the day to Sunday to honor the resurrection.

But they DID break one oh the 10 commandments. They called it The Lord's Day instead of The Sabbath.
I suspect God doesn’t care what name or day you use. There’s a tribe that only has 6 days a week. So the 7th day never works for them.

Last edited:

Hi Wondering, The reason for the question mark is I was wondering were you talking about the two linked scriptures Luke 4:16 and 1 Peter 2:21 but then I thought about which Commandment, so I wanted to know from you for sure.

Hi Wondering, The reason for the question mark is I was wondering were you talking about the two linked scriptures Luke 4:16 and 1 Peter 2:21 but then I thought about which Commandment, so I wanted to know from you for sure.
Yes.
I wanted to see how you would word the commandment, but, knowing you I was 99% sure you would word it the correct way

Do you mean these ones?

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall not murder.
You shall not steal.
You shall not covet.

Do you believe it would make a difference if it said:

KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Back