Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Is It Anything About The Sabbath That We Must Know?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you believe it would make a difference if it said:

KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH
One would have to define what Holy means in the contents of keeping it Holy in this particular sabbath. In the definition of holy it means dedicated or consecrated to God. I see it as a day set apart to not only honor God in all He created that was good and then on the seventh day He rested, but that we also need a day to rest from all our labor.

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

What about the fact that it's one of the 10 commandments?
So are there really only 9?
Not at all. One day a week we rest and give time to our relationship with the Lord. When the Christians have a 7 day work week? We just don’t call it the “Sabbath” because we’re not Hebrews.

www.jewfaq.org

Noahic (Noah) Commandments are seven commandments first given to Adam by God before the flood and brought to remembrance by God to Noah after the flood, which are now binding on both Jew and Gentile as there were no Jew or Gentile in the days of Noah, and none today on this side of the cross as we are all one in the Spirit of God, Galatians 3:28. Abraham was the first one to be called a Hebrew, Genesis 14:13, and until the days of Jacob there was no land called Israel or any laws pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite as none of that existed yet. What there were was seven to begin with that are the laws that are written on our heart. Laws were added to as the generations grew until there became 613 that became a curse as no one could ever follow all of them.

Beginning with Genesis 2:16 the Babylonian Talmud, Avodah Zarah 8:4 and Sanhedrin 56ab listed six commandments given first to Adam and then again to Noah after the flood. The seven make up the first parts of the ten that God gave to Moses on Mt Sinai in Exodus 20. Below is a comparison list of the seven and the full ten which are all the first part of the 613 laws given to Moses as some were for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite and then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all, Jew and Gentile to follow that are written upon our heart. Christ did not come to destroy all the laws, but to fulfill the righteousness of the laws, Matthew 5:17-22.

Noahic Laws:
Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

Part of the ten laws broken down to various commands within one law:
Other gods and idols are as one not to worship, but broke down into two commands
Remember the Sabbath was added to the ten commandments by God as a remembrance of all God did in six days (Gods timing) and rested on the seventh, Genesis 2:1-3; Matthew 12:1-13
To establish courts of justice was only given to Noah for the new generations to come after the flood
Honor your father and mother was not given to Noah, but was added to the ten commandments by God as the generations grew.
Not to covet was added to the ten commandments by God, but broke down into seven commands as your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

Hi wondering
I know that the early Christians changed the day to Sunday to honor the resurrection.

But they DID break one oh the 10 commandments. They called it The Lord's Day instead of The Sabbath.
My thoughts are that we have long misunderstood the purpose of the Sabbath. Jesus rebuked the Jews for how they had made the Sabbath command and day fraught with all sorts of rules and regulations that he seemed to imply went further than the command was intended. This is when he made the comment that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.

The law of the Sabbath had nothing to do with worship. The early Christians did not change the Sabbath, they merely chose the day of the Lord's resurrection as the day to hold formal worship gatherings. The Sabbath law was never about worship. The Sabbath law is quite clear. No one was to work and the day was to be holy unto the Lord. Holy is defined as 'set apart'. God has asked us to recognize the Sabbath as a day of rest and to keep it set apart from all of our other 6 days. There are at least a thousand times that God asks us to keep or honor things as 'holy'. It doesn't then mean that we are to call some congregational worship meeting because He used the word 'holy' to describe something.

Do not work seven days, and understand that on the day of rest, that you are resting because the day has been set apart for you to do such as God's command to you. Keep it holy.

God bless,
Ted

I suspect God doesn’t care what name or day you use. There’s a tribe that only has 6 days a week. So the 7th day never works for them.

What you have been saying is almost exactly what the Lord taught me about it.

He said the sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath and in today's world, if saturday doesn't work for you but another day does, then choose a day and stick to it there shouldn't be disagreement about it, whatever works.../

I do get the feeling that in the New Jerusalem that the Holy Sabbath will be reinstated for all time. On a day that God has chosen, lol.

What about the fact that it's one of the 10 commandments?
So are there really only 9?

That's a good question. The thing is, it is a commandment. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy...

SO I wonder how many of the Saturday Sabbath people actually make effort to make it a Holy day, and not just my day off from work to laze around the house?

Keeping the sabbath has become the phrase and people seem to be dropping the keep it Holy part. You may be on to something here. I suspect if God had His way that it would be on Saturday.

But that immediately begs the question...If a dedicated Sunday sabbath finds that Saturday will not work for them, so choose Sunday because it will...and suppose that they move in their dedication and thir faith to the point that, they do make Holy the Sunday sabbath knowing that it should be on Saturday so extra effort is taken which may surpass the amount of keeping it Holy moreso than a man who takes saturday off but no effort to keep the sabbath Holy. Would this Sunday Holy Sabbath person surpass the other in the eyes of God?!

I think it is possible!

for_his_glory had it right when he said in post#3:
The Sabbath was a ceremonial law practiced and that of the Old Covenant, the same covenant that circumcised and sacrificed animals. Some may literally circumcise, but we do not sacrifice animals anymore. This ceremonial law was only for Israel and not the Gentiles as now under the new covenant that joins Israel and Gentiles together under the grace of God the ceremonial laws no longer exist as Jesus is now our sacrifice whom we find rest in.

It wasn't and isn't for Gentiles.
It was a part of the (Old) Covenant Law for the Jews.

Well, I’m glad we still have Sunday rest laws where I live.

They should make it a law that you don't have to work on your Birthday either. I almost bever worked on my birthday until I went self employed. My last ob before retirement for a company tried to force me to work on my Birthday. But I had told their mean old secretary two weeks ago that I would be not working on my birthday (I know how this game is played!)

So she starts yelling well I forgot and I have work scheduled you simply must be here for work...And I slowly stood up and I said, I never work on my birthday and I wont work on this birthday so...fire me if you must but I. Am. Not. Working. On My. Birthday. And I didn't. Lol.

for_his_glory had it right when he said in post#3:

It wasn't and isn't for Gentiles.
It was a part of the (Old) Covenant Law for the Jews.
We live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. The word ‘Proceeds’ is simple present tense not past tense. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God (Deut 8:3, Mt 4:4)

We live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. The word ‘Proceeds’ is simple present tense not past tense. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God (Deut 8:3, Mt 4:4)
Really?
And how many sheep have you offered for sacrifice lately?
I hope Walter does not round off the hair on his temples or mar the edges of his beard (Lev 19:27)
Do you tithe?

The Old Covenant has passed away.
Paul himself declares he is no longer under the Law.
To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law--though not being myself under the law--that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law [Gentiles] I became as one outside the law--not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ--that I might win those outside the law. (1Cor 9:20-21)
He also makes here a clear distinction between those under the Law (the Jews) and those not under the Law (the Gentiles).

The Book of Hebrews makes this replacement of the Old Covenant by the New very clear.
On the one hand, a former commandment is annulled because of its weakness and uselessness, for the law brought nothing to perfection; on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God. (Heb 7:18-19)

When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well. (Heb 7:12)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second one. But he finds fault with them and says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will conclude a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. (Heb 8:7-8)

When he speaks of a “new” covenant, he declares the first one obsolete. And what has become obsolete and has grown old is close to disappearing (Heb 8:13)

He takes away the first to establish the second (Heb 10:9)

The Ten Commnadments as (Old) Covenant Law were never applicable to gentiles and were abolished along with the Old (Mosaic) Covenant.

Really?
And how many sheep have you offered for sacrifice lately?
I hope Walter does not round off the hair on his temples or mar the edges of his beard (Lev 19:27)
Do you tithe?

The Old Covenant has passed away.
Paul himself declares he is no longer under the Law.
To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law--though not being myself under the law--that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law [Gentiles] I became as one outside the law--not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ--that I might win those outside the law. (1Cor 9:20-21)
He also makes here a clear distinction between those under the Law (the Jews) and those not under the Law (the Gentiles).

The Book of Hebrews makes this replacement of the Old Covenant by the New very clear.
On the one hand, a former commandment is annulled because of its weakness and uselessness, for the law brought nothing to perfection; on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God. (Heb 7:18-19)

When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well. (Heb 7:12)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second one. But he finds fault with them and says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will conclude a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. (Heb 8:7-8)

When he speaks of a “new” covenant, he declares the first one obsolete. And what has become obsolete and has grown old is close to disappearing (Heb 8:13)

He takes away the first to establish the second (Heb 10:9)

The Ten Commnadments as (Old) Covenant Law were never applicable to gentiles and were abolished along with the Old (Mosaic) Covenant.
The OP is not about your ideas, it is about what our Lord has done, and following His steps with obedience to His words.

Any scripture tells you that that day is to be the seventh day of the week.

You are absolutely correct. But it also says that there isn't any such thing as divorce and God gave to moses as a concession, the right to divorce. God is not without a soft heart and when He seen how sneaky some women can be, He thought, the man should be able to leave that one. (J/K)

And it's that way with the Sabbath too. Even Jesus said, who wont go looking for their lost livestock on the Sabbath? Of course you can. So the day matters less as long as you pick a day and stick to it consistently.

WHen you're retired every day is the Sabbath!

I guess they'll have to change their week to 7 days if they want to be in compliance with scripture.

WHy would that create a problem? Just tell them to remember to keep the Sabbath day Holy, every 6 days. If they have a 6 day week then it is a 6 day work week included so take a day every 6 days.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back