Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

marriage outside of your faith?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
How would you feel if your son married a girl outside of the faith what would be the best way to represent this? Like well I'm newly married and haven't told my parents really about her faith. I am very religious she is too. We don't believe in the same thing about Jesus but generally our religious and moral views are similar as she's of a similar religion... We're expecting I think we can do this and plan to raise our child with the same principles but whether which religion they choose doesn't matter is up to them... Anyway I haven't even told them I started dating her let alone married and now I'm pressed for time. Advice?

huh because I didn't tell them that's not really the issue it's more it's all gone on and that she's not a christian...

If you posted this before you married her, I would have taken my shot at persuading you not to. But, that's done. Now you have a predicament that comes with such a decision. If you are ambivalent about the faith your children will have, I'm sorry, but I have to question your commitment to the Lord. Over and over, He tells us in his Word to teach our children to follow Him. You are now unequally yoked to a non-believer. This will make it all the more difficult to be "all in" for the Lord, let alone see to the salvation of your children.

I suggest that you need to give some serious consideration to His Place in your life. This is blunt, but it needs to be said.

huh because I didn't tell them that's not really the issue it's more it's all gone on and that she's not a christian...

Huhha ... so you're feeling guilty! .... :chair

Well let's see ..... :chin

My Senior Pastor's second son got a girl pregnant. Not only were they not married, but she was not a Christian! :o

Imagine how a Pastor who leads a flock of 5000 will feel ..... :shame

Embarrassed and disappointed would be quite an understatement I guess. :shrug

But you know what ? The family as well as the bride's family were shown full support, love and encouragement by the church. What's done is done, there was no use crying over spilled milk.

To cut a long story short, both the prodigal son as well as the unbelieving wife were totally moved and touched by the love shown by their Pastor father and the church. They are now both Christians and I never fail to see them in church every week together serving the Lord !

How awesome! God can turn around adversities into blessings, sorrow into joy! ... :thumbsup

Marrying an unbeliever is not an unforgivable sin. You should confess to your parents and your church and have them pray with you for salvation of your wife.

If you posted this before you married her, I would have taken my shot at persuading you not to. But, that's done. Now you have a predicament that comes with such a decision. If you are ambivalent about the faith your children will have, I'm sorry, but I have to question your commitment to the Lord. Over and over, He tells us in his Word to teach our children to follow Him. You are now unequally yoked to a non-believer. This will make it all the more difficult to be "all in" for the Lord, let alone see to the salvation of your children.

I suggest that you need to give some serious consideration to His Place in your life. This is blunt, but it needs to be said.
Well she is a follower of Jesus and praises GOD. We are planing to raise the child with the same morals but they'll choose what religion they want.. To me I think if one does right and follows the teachings of Jesus then I can't really care what story is different for them you know...

Well she is a follower of Jesus and praises GOD. We are planing to raise the child with the same morals but they'll choose what religion they want.. To me I think if one does right and follows the teachings of Jesus then I can't really care what story is different for them you know...

If she follows Jesus, but she's another religion, what is her religion? And what is yours? Do you mean she's Mormon or JW? I'm not getting this. :shrug

Huhha ... so you're feeling guilty! .... :chair

Well let's see ..... :chin

My Senior Pastor's second son got a girl pregnant. Not only were they not married, but she was not a Christian! :o

Imagine how a Pastor who leads a flock of 5000 will feel ..... :shame

Embarrassed and disappointed would be quite an understatement I guess. :shrug

But you know what ? The family as well as the bride's family were shown full support, love and encouragement by the church. What's done is done, there was no use crying over spilled milk.

To cut a long story short, both the prodigal son as well as the unbelieving wife were totally moved and touched by the love shown by their Pastor father and the church. They are now both Christians and I never fail to see them in church every week together serving the Lord !

How awesome! God can turn around adversities into blessings, sorrow into joy! ... :thumbsup

Marrying an unbeliever is not an unforgivable sin. You should confess to your parents and your church and have them pray with you for salvation of your wife.
We waited for marriage we've both been very modest and follow our religion very well each.. I just hope that my parents don't completely abandone us just because she's of another faith...
I have talked to her about converting and doesn't seem to be an option really...

If she follows Jesus, but she's another religion, what is her religion? And what is yours? Do you mean she's Mormon or JW? I'm not getting this. :shrug
no she's not christian. But well what she's said from her she says she follows all by example. Like she doesn't pray to Jesus or think of as GOD. But she follows him like she follows abraham moses etc. We disagree about the life of Jesus and who he is but agree on most everything else... I actually thought she was Jewish up until last September.. Either way by morals we're just alike... We have a lot in common when it comes to religion and she's as close to GOD as I am. Just believes in a different story...

Last edited by a moderator:
no she's not christian. But well what she's said from her she says she follows all by example. Like she doesn't pray to Jesus or think of as GOD. But she follows him like she follows abraham moses etc. We disagree about the life of Jesus and who he is but agree on most everything else... I actually thought she was Jewish up until last September.. Either way by morals we're just alike...

Wow...lot's in this situation...why on earth you would marry a person and not tell your folks? Why would you marry a person who isn't a Christian like you?

Why you think that morals trump faith in God?

You've carved out a rough road for the success of your marriage.

Here's the thing....I too question your commitment to Christ. I have to admit, I even question whether or not you are a Christian or are more accurately a "person who follows the philosophy of Christian thought"...

Several reasons why I say this...the main one being that you seem OK with the idea that your kids would choose a different religion than the one that teaches you is the ONLY way to eternal life. This alone makes me wonder if you are truly born again...or just someone who follows Christian ideology.

Here is my advice to you:

Straighten out your own faith. A person who is truly walking according to the Lord most likely wouldn't have been having sex outside of marriage (I get the impression that you married because she was pregnant...correct me if I'm wrong on that), wouldn't marry outside of the faith, and wouldn't be ambivalent about their children choosing a religion that would leave them eternally lost and wouldn't be fearful of sharing something that should be joyful from the parents.

It could be that you are just a very new Christian...or was like me...raised outside of the faith and are just very ignorant of what being a Christian actually entails....either way, you need to take a good hard look at yourself and how you are living out your faith in God.

Secondly...now that you are married...I say...Go for it with all you've got! According to the Scriptures, if an unbeliever is married to the believer and wants to stay in the marriage...all well and good. Stay in the marriage and work at making it a good one. Be a wonderful Christian husband who loves his wife and upholds her in every way. Don't nag her about becoming a Christian...but do live out a godly example for her...and encourage her whenever timely, to become closer to Jesus and pray, pray, pray for her that she would come to know the truth so that her eternal life becomes secure.

When your child is born, do realize that you do need to raise your child in the Lord. To not do so is to make a mockery of your faith. You wouldn't allow your child to "make a decision" to play out in the street...nor should you allow your child to be raised up without fully understanding what it means to be a person who has faith in the One True God. This may or may not be an issue in your married life, but it's one responsibility you must follow through on.

As for your parents...You're a married man now. You have left your parents and now must cleave to your wife. However, you also must take into consideration the shock, the sadness, the hurt and perhaps even anger they may feel is entirely your fault because of the way you went about this. You owe it to them to talk to them...best if the first discussion is alone without your wife present...and explain to them that you went about this in the wrong way...that you are sorry for any hurt, anger and frustration they may feel...but that you also love your wife, that you love your unborn child (their grandbaby) and that you hope when you present your wife to them, that they can embrace your new family with the love that God expects all His children to show others.

Man up...confess your fault in this mess...and they most likely will forgive and embrace your wife.

You haven't committed the unforgivable sin here. As a matter of fact, if you turn now and commit to truly walking with God in all His ways...you very well may win your wife over...no promises, but certainly there is hope!

Wow...lot's in this situation...why on earth you would marry a person and not tell your folks? Why would you marry a person who isn't a Christian like you?

Why you think that morals trump faith in God?

You've carved out a rough road for the success of your marriage.

Here's the thing....I too question your commitment to Christ. I have to admit, I even question whether or not you are a Christian or are more accurately a "person who follows the philosophy of Christian thought"...

Several reasons why I say this...the main one being that you seem OK with the idea that your kids would choose a different religion than the one that teaches you is the ONLY way to eternal life. This alone makes me wonder if you are truly born again...or just someone who follows Christian ideology.

Here is my advice to you:

Straighten out your own faith. A person who is truly walking according to the Lord most likely wouldn't have been having sex outside of marriage (I get the impression that you married because she was pregnant...correct me if I'm wrong on that), wouldn't marry outside of the faith, and wouldn't be ambivalent about their children choosing a religion that would leave them eternally lost and wouldn't be fearful of sharing something that should be joyful from the parents.

It could be that you are just a very new Christian...or was like me...raised outside of the faith and are just very ignorant of what being a Christian actually entails....either way, you need to take a good hard look at yourself and how you are living out your faith in God.

Secondly...now that you are married...I say...Go for it with all you've got! According to the Scriptures, if an unbeliever is married to the believer and wants to stay in the marriage...all well and good. Stay in the marriage and work at making it a good one. Be a wonderful Christian husband who loves his wife and upholds her in every way. Don't nag her about becoming a Christian...but do live out a godly example for her...and encourage her whenever timely, to become closer to Jesus and pray, pray, pray for her that she would come to know the truth so that her eternal life becomes secure.

When your child is born, do realize that you do need to raise your child in the Lord. To not do so is to make a mockery of your faith. You wouldn't allow your child to "make a decision" to play out in the street...nor should you allow your child to be raised up without fully understanding what it means to be a person who has faith in the One True God. This may or may not be an issue in your married life, but it's one responsibility you must follow through on.

As for your parents...You're a married man now. You have left your parents and now must cleave to your wife. However, you also must take into consideration the shock, the sadness, the hurt and perhaps even anger they may feel is entirely your fault because of the way you went about this. You owe it to them to talk to them...best if the first discussion is alone without your wife present...and explain to them that you went about this in the wrong way...that you are sorry for any hurt, anger and frustration they may feel...but that you also love your wife, that you love your unborn child (their grandbaby) and that you hope when you present your wife to them, that they can embrace your new family with the love that God expects all His children to show others.

Man up...confess your fault in this mess...and they most likely will forgive and embrace your wife.

You haven't committed the unforgivable sin here. As a matter of fact, if you turn now and commit to truly walking with God in all His ways...you very well may win your wife over...no promises, but certainly there is hope!
I"D NEVER HAVE SEX OUTSIDE of marriage willingly. Neither of us would... We didn't do anything before marriage we even saved our first kiss for marriage.... It's not right in either of our religions to have sex out of marriage that's an abomination.... I married her because she's my solulmate and I love her more than any other person
I just believe in different roads to heaven idk why one would be lost if they follow Jesus as well...
I was born and raised christian I just am a little more accepting if one is as good as a christian I don't see why they are less than. To me we're equal...And GOD understands as HE understands everything...

I have more to say but gtg

I'm glad you corrected me on the sex before marriage...I knew I was making an assumption there...good to have it cleared.

I still exhort you to examine your faith. You seem to think that as long as someone is a "good" person...acts with good morals...that it doesn't make any difference.

(Interjecting here a question I posed to him before we were married that you might want to ponder...if all religious roads lead to the Truth...why did Jesus have to die on the cross? :chin )

In fact, you seem a lot like my own dear husband whom I married 14 years ago today (:muchlove) a believer, but one with a lot of ignorance about the faith in which he believed.

Which isn't "bad" per se...just means that you need to apply yourself and learn...if for no other reason than you are now responsible to raise your child in the faith.

All that said, I do wonder just what advice you are seeking here? Is it how to lead your wife to your own faith...how to speak to your folks...how to raise up your child in a two faith home?

I agree with everything Handy (Dora) said. I think it's clear that you have a good deal of learning to do about being a follower of Christ. Do you believe what the Bible says? Nowhere in Scripture will you find that all roads lead to Heaven. It is very clear that we are Called to repent and accept the Sacrifice of the Risen Christ for our salvation. A person who does not accept the Divinity of Jesus is not following Him.

Here's what I really wanted to say now. You need to find a Bible-based church with a pastor who will spend time with you and give you some shepherding. You need to attach yourself to a body of believers who will support you in the one True faith. You have some misconceptions that need prayer, study of Scripture, and Godly counsel. I promise you, if you find that pastor and community, they will confirm what we are saying, and they will be able to help you more than we can.

Now is the time for you to allow God to transform yourself, and it will have to start with you. You simply cannot continue down this road as you had planned.

I have the solution to this problem. Since the two of you are very religious I think your should have a contest to see who's more religious than the other, and then the looser simply adopts that religion since whatever it is is obviously better than the other. Then you can both be one in the best religion that wins.

yea I just read everything

And actually we believe in the same GOD. We both are monotheist and believe the same true GOD...

That's why I'm kind of ok with everything. It would be nice if we could agree completely...

I just hope my parents can accept I am going to tell them today

She does have good morals and believes in GOD. She's in one of the family faiths it's practically quite similar...

I just don't see how to tell my parents without them trying to tear us apart and all...

yea I just read everything

And actually we believe in the same GOD. We both are monotheist and believe the same true GOD...

That's why I'm kind of ok with everything. It would be nice if we could agree completely...

I just hope my parents can accept I am going to tell them today

She does have good morals and believes in GOD. She's in one of the family faiths it's practically quite similar...

I just don't see how to tell my parents without them trying to tear us apart and all...

You'll be fine. When the emphasis is on being good you just have to work at it, and if your parents are also religious I'm sure they will accept it.

I agree with everything Handy (Dora) said. I think it's clear that you have a good deal of learning to do about being a follower of Christ. Do you believe what the Bible says? Nowhere in Scripture will you find that all roads lead to Heaven. It is very clear that we are Called to repent and accept the Sacrifice of the Risen Christ for our salvation. A person who does not accept the Divinity of Jesus is not following Him.

Here's what I really wanted to say now. You need to find a Bible-based church with a pastor who will spend time with you and give you some shepherding. You need to attach yourself to a body of believers who will support you in the one True faith. You have some misconceptions that need prayer, study of Scripture, and Godly counsel. I promise you, if you find that pastor and community, they will confirm what we are saying, and they will be able to help you more than we can.

Now is the time for you to allow God to transform yourself, and it will have to start with you. You simply cannot continue down this road as you had planned.

Not ALL roads just ones in the family. Ones that follow Jesus... Plus people before Jesus didn't believe in Jesus like Moses and didn't believe in Jesus as a GOD because he didn't know of him same thing here. To me it seems even better she follows Jesus just her definition of GOD is different. But we believe in the same GOD. Just different stories.... She's as pious as my mother as righteous and even more subservient to GOD which is what I admire. But I still follow as much as any other traditional christian....

Neither of us want to convert. I preffer mine and she preffers hers...

justme1808 you said, "Like she doesn't pray to Jesus or think of as GOD." I'm assuming there is a typo and this should read "think of Him as GOD."

And now you say, "And actually we believe in the same GOD."

If she doesn't believe Jesus is GOD...then she either doesn't believe in the same GOD as you...or you are not a Christian.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...the Christian GOD...and Jesus is the Son.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men....And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1-4, 14

For to which of the angels did He ever say, “YOU ARE MY SON,
TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU�

And again,
“I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM
AND HE SHALL BE A SON TO ME�

But of the Son He says, “YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER,
AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM. Hebrews 1:5, 8

I have to agree with Mike....you need to get to a solid Bible believing church and learn about this "religion" you are claiming as your own. Not criticizing here, not at all...I was once in a very ignorant position as well...and I am thankful for the solid Biblical teaching I've had over the years. We all need it.

As for your parents...if they are Christians, then the last thing they should desire to do is to "tear apart" a man and his wife, especially when a baby is on the way. If they try to do so, you might want to explain to them that God hates divorce, that you do love your wife, that you want an intact home for your child and that Jesus Himself said "
FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH; so they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.†(Mark 10:9)

I'll certainly pray that your meeting with your parents will go well and that they will have enough love for you, your wife and your child to not act badly.

are we not monotheist though? HE is one GOD not three. Three in one. She just claims to believe in Genesis in GOD in that sense. I do too. So don't we believe in the same. We believe in the same beginning. The same GOD created this earth. I hope this presentation can help my parents to be ok with it.. It's just people judge so much it seems

She believes GOD worked through Jesus. She believes in the miracles and follows Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back