Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS)!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is one of the hurdles OSAS has to get over:

21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, 22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach— 23 if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard..." (Colossians 1:21-23 NASB)

Why would Paul argue for something that can't happen?

Those who do not Believe and want to Believe a Christian Believer can lose their salvation fall under the law...they have rejected Lord Jesus Christ.
The problem with this reasoning is faith in Christ is not a work of the law.
It is commonly thought that righteousness must be earned. Anything worth having must be worked for—right? Not so in the Kingdom of God. In fact, something so valuable and precious as righteousness is a free gift! Still religion would tell you that your position of righteousness is based upon your performance. If that were true, you would not need Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
If so, Abraham was justified three times. Isn't that an example of justification being a process, not a one time event?

dadof10, I am not sure what biblical texts you could be referring to to suggest that Abraham was justified three times. I would be interested in a reply on this. What 3 different times of justification could you be referring to in Abraham's life?

Nevertheless, the only way to determine if any references speaka one justification or a continuous process would be the grammar and context. Would you not agree that interpretation begins with the grammar and context?

If we look at the grammar of one of the verb justification in one the texts (Romans 4:3), that text would be difficult to make justification a process. The reason it would be difficult in Romans 4:3 is that the verb for justification in that verse is found in the Aorist passive case. If it spoke of a process it would have a present tense ending.

Now the verb in verse 5 "reckoned" or "imputed" is present tense. The word "justified" in verse 5 is not a verb, but a participle.

Certainly Abraham did not experience initial justification at baptism, nor circumcision. He was never baptized, and while he was justified in Genesis 15, he was not circumcised until Genesis 17:10.

Now the use of the verb "justified" is found in the present tense in James 2:24, but that context speaks not of the doctrine of justification by faith alone, but it speaks of the the man who claims "I have faith." Is he just in making that claim. Of course it is works that "justify" the man in verse 18 who says "I will show you my faith by my works." So verse 24 says the man in verse 18 is just in his claim. This is of course not a reference to the doctrine of sola fide.

Well, give my regards to your 10 kids!! Any grandchildren yet?

Excuse me but the thread asked true or false ? If you want to go on a crusade where your statements have to be edited !!!

I see your fruit.....I'll pass thank you vary much.....

Your questions have nothing to do with the argument. All you guys need to do is to present an argument from Scripture. The problem is that there is none. There is not a single passage of Scripture that says salvation can't be lost. On the other hand there are passages that say it can be lost. Hmmm.

You're questioning God's ability to save?????? Are you serious?? God's ability to save IS THE ISSUE! What is your belief in who Jesus Christ is?? Butch Butch Butch. There is plenty of scripture, should we start with the whole book of Ephesians first. Strawman ?

No, I am not questioning God's ability to save.

You clearly are if you think his seal isn't permanent.

You've given nothing other than opinion in stating the seal is permanent. There is nothing in the definition that requires that a seal be permanent.

the Scriptures do not teach once saved always saved. I'm sure upon closer inspection the context will show that those passages are not teaching such a thing.

John 8:44 - You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

There's nothing here teaching OSAS

You've given nothing other than opinion in stating the seal is permanent. There is nothing in the definition that requires that a seal be permanent.

It's not opinions, it's God the Father and his promises to us. Blessings.

dadof10... very perceptive. I would agree that if a man can loose his salvation, sola fide is a myth. If a man can loose his salvation, there is an element of works in salvation. I would say the same thing of the concept of "free will." If our will cooperates with Gods will there is an element of merit in salvation. We have at least in some small part earned our salvation.

Hi, Mondar. Long time no see. I hope you have been well.

After all this time, I hate to disagree with you right off the bat :), but here goes.

Although it's of course possible, I don't think it necessary follows that if we cooperate with God's will we are "earning" salvation. I can think of many situations where people cooperate with others and "earn" nothing. If I go over to my mom's house and see her toilet is broken and fix it out of love, how did I earn anything? If my son cleans the garage for me, I might be grateful and maybe even take him for an ice cream, but he would in no way have "earned" the ice cream. He did something out of love and I responded out of love.

I think sometimes our two sides talk by each other and the reason is simple. We look at justification as familial, you look at it as legal. I have read so many commentaries by well meaning OSAS adherents that mention primarily the legal side of justification/salvation and ignore the familial relationship aspect altogether. IMHO, our relationship with Christ should be looked at primarily as a family relationship. After all, the most beautiful words in the Bible might just be the last four words of 1John 3:1: "See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are."

Yes it is.. And Rev 3:5 He that overcomes will like them, be dressed in white, I will never blot out his name.

Meaning if you don't endure to the end, you don't win the race.
Oh please what a weak arguement for claiming you can lose your salvation....you added your interpretation to this scripture without any regard for other scriptures not too mention logic. That is a mistake that so many people make....they take one sentence in the bible and build their theology on it without any regard for other scirpture. Because they happen to like how it makes them feel. Once you are born-again you don't become un born that is just plain silly and illogical.:lol

the Scriptures do not teach once saved always saved. I'm sure upon closer inspection the context will show that those passages are not teaching such a thing.

John 8:44 - You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

There's nothing here teaching OSAS
Try logic Butch...God gave us a brain lets use it. You have been born. Can you become unborn? This applies to the soul as well...you become born-again...it is a spiritual rebirth...you become a new creature in Christ. You are basically a new creation. True you can sin and you can backslide...but if you are truly a born-again child of God you stay a born-again child of God. Jesus said all that the Father has given me will come to me and whoever comes to me i will never cast out.....So i can kick back grab a cold one and sit on blessed assurance that Jesus will never cast me out.:)

I've never found evidence in scripture to support the belief that once the Holy Spirit of God has sealed something human action can unseal it.

Well I can already see the insanity here, of belligerent blindness that made me run out of 29 Churches in my area. This isn't worth my time... CHRISTIANS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ARGUE.

Yes it is.. And Rev 3:5 He that overcomes will like them, be dressed in white, I will never blot out his name.

Oh please what a weak arguement for claiming you can lose your salvation....you added your interpretation to this scripture without any regard for other scriptures not too mention logic. That is a mistake that so many people make....they take one sentence in the bible and build their theology on it without any regard for other scirpture. Because they happen to like how it makes them feel. Once you are born-again you don't become un born that is just plain silly and illogical.:lol

Here's a couple for you @ Peter 2:12 12 But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.

And Jude 1:10 10 Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.

I can see the fruit you produce.....

Well I can already see the insanity here, of belligerent blindness that made me run out of 29 Churches in my area. This isn't worth my time... CHRISTIANS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ARGUE.

Welcome to the Nut House..:coke...have a coke and sit a spell.
We always make room for one more.
:bump

All jokes aside. I believe Chrisitans will endure to the end. The only reason we will endure is becasue the Holy Spirit who is in our life has sealed us.

Those who don't endure were never sealed/saved to begin with. They fall back into habitual sin habits because it's thier true nature. Their sin nature is alive and at work.

All jokes aside. I believe Chrisitans will endure to the end. The only reason we will endure is becasue the Holy Spirit who is in our life has sealed us.

Those who don't endure were never sealed/saved to begin with. They fall back into habitual sin habits because it's thier true nature. Their sin nature is alive and at work.

YES that is what I meant..... And we got a bunch here, and I'm ready to split...I just got here.... Now you know why I chose ALIENATED

Welcome to the Nut House..:coke...have a coke and sit a spell.
We always make room for one more.
:bump

Thanks man... That made me feel better..... I have just been drug over the coals for a long time by some WACKO's

YES that is what I meant..... And we got a bunch here, and I'm ready to split...I just got here.... Now you know why I chose ALIENATED

I see your fruits, and I can see inside your soul. I AM..

Alienated. :thumbsup

Ready to split? I hope you are only referring to the Christian Topics section. There are plenty of areas here at ChristianForums.net where people don't argue like this. This is our Nut House Sector. I'm here because I'm addicted to arguing.

:toofunny

No I meant check back out of society. I have lived in complete isolation for the last 7 years after my whole family died. And if this is what we have come to.....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back