Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study "Pastor" Office or Gift?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The tradition of the Church, was the 5 fold ministry and the Pastor was only one of those positions. The Church can not adequality function without all of them and we do have all of them in the world today, it's simply that mainstream Christianity does not recognize these people. We can not speak solely of a pastor, he is simply one part of the entire Body.

See I would have to really ask where we get the idea that the 'tradition' of the NT church was only for the '5' to do "ministry". It is simply not spoken of that way. Ephesians clearly speaks of them as gifts, g-i-f-t-s. Its in plain black and white, and in the very context they are mentioned.

Interestingly enough, when Paul speaks of the use of gifts the focus is on keeping things in order, not in control. What we have done is put people in control of how things are done, therefore giving them a greater responsibility.

1Cr 14:26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.

1Cr 14:27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.

1Cr 14:28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

1Cr 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

1Cr 14:30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent.

1Cr 14:31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged,

1Cr 14:32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.

Specifically Paul speaks about Prophets. Not just prophecy, but Prophets. This would be included in the '5'. There seems to be no distinction of a greater responsibility than those who have the gift of tongues.

How do we know though that this is not just a distinction of semantics? Surely prophecy is a gift, yet can we really deny that the OT prophets (for example) were a caste/group of recognized men and women who prophesied? A 'Prophet' became a recognized 'role' (one could say 'office') in society, such as with the prophet Samuel. And Samuel was a prophet, priest, and a judge all in one. I'm just saying that if we want to determine what 'office' really is (which is a term we seem to have coined for roles in the body) then we need to look at what we are really trying to describe.

So do you agree that the OT prophets were a caste or had a recognized 'role'? Many OT commentators think so as indicated in 2 Kings 6:1 in which the "sons of prophets" were recognized as, even if lesser known, prophets like Elisha. I believe these prophets (many of whom were killed earlier by Jezebel during Elijah's ministry) were among the remnant that God had preserved for His people.

God Bless,

~Josh

Yes. It seems that when this topic gets brought up it quickly turns to 'semantics' and then it gets dropped. I am glad that it has not happened here, because I think it is more than semantics.

Yes, I do believe/agree that the OT prophets were a caste. There were also 'defined' priests. But we know that when Christ came He took down that 'order' and in return gave gifts. That is the whole of the matter in Ephesians 4. Christ became the head of all, and in doing so all things flow from Him. The gifts He gives, He also works in, to bring about the building up of His body.

We take things out of contextual order, fit them into our tradition, and say that there are 5 key 'roles' that are 'set up' to bring about the maturity of the body of Christ. This is absolute 'text butchering'. If you go line upon line and precept upon precept you see that Christ gave these gifts, then we have a short list of some of them, and then we see why He gives gifts, which is to build the body. People want to nail it down to these 5 gifts, but in context the "gifts" spoken of in verse 8, is the main subject of the passage.

Do we look at 1Peter 4 and say because he does not list any other gifts then there are none? Are the same gifts listed in 1Corinthians listed in Romans? No. These are just examples of the gifting God gives us. They are not intended for a 'definitive' list, but rather of an example. The same holds true for Ephesians 4.

One more thing on this about where terminology/semantics may come into play (see previous post).

The idea (in our minds as we have traditionally understood it) of role or office seems to be descriptive of the person (as if in a position) exercising the gift.

Such as:

Gift = prophesy
Office = prophet

But even if we decide to only call it a gift, we cannot deny the place of official 'roles' in the scripture, unless we want to say that that was "only" an Old Testament concept. Because clearly in the OT Priests (Levites) held an office and the the High Priest was a very specific 'office' or role for one man (which was filled by many men successively until Christ came). And it is clear that we can think of the priests in terms of an 'office' or role because of the mention in Psalm 110 of the order of Melchizedek. Different term, but same concept. An order of priests. I only say all this to try to illustrate how we might approach looking at what we are attempting to describe (however accurate or nonaccurate we may be doing so) as an office.

Does at least what I'm getting at make any sense to you?

God Bless,

~Josh

yes Josh. thank you. I do understand what you are saying. And it makes complete sense. I agree completely with the above description, in fact, it is a very good example of the person and the function of a particular gift.

To add to it, then we can use the same analogy with 'pastor'.

Gift=nurturing
Office=shepherd

It is clear when we look at what a 'shepherd' is that we see the function of what he does. There is a good reason why God gives the gift this name.

The problem we have is that we have tried to go back to OT times to describe what 'roles' each person is supposed to play. And that is exactly what is wrong with the whole idea of the pastor. Instead of looking at the perfect example Christ gives us, we look to what Christ destroyed with His death on the cross. He was constantly trying to get people to understand their 'traditions' were a misconception of what God's purpose for His people is.

This is not found any clearly said then when two of His disciples really wanted to 'excel' at being an disciple and approached Jesus about it. The desire was a 'good one', just like what Paul says in 1Timothy, but the fact is that only God can determine who 'gets' what. So, Paul lays out the description of what an 'overseer' and 'minister' looks like so that they will not be fooled by people who come along desiring to be in positions of authority.

And so also, Jesus makes it EXTREMELY clear that those who God does decide to 'gift' in certain areas should NOT think of the gifts as authority like we normally do. But rather they should use the gift to serve even more.

I understand this really does seem like its just semantics. I have to constantly check myself to make sure I am not just playing with words. When I do this I ask myself the simple question of what is the purpose for all of this discussion?

If its to try and discount the gift of pastoring, then I am wrong. But that is not my heart at all. So thats a negative.

If its to try and cause disorder, then I am wrong. But that is not my heart either. So thats a negative.

So then why discuss this? Because I think that what we have done is elevate the gift of pastoring above all other gifts. And in doing so, we have neglected a lot of other gifts.

I also believe that because we have put the emphasis on the 'position' rather than the gift, we have stepped out of the dependence of the one who supplies the power and instead rely on the person who fulfills the role.

Most of all, I believe that there are some very 'gifted' pastors out there, which because of tradition have been placed into other 'gifted' areas which they have no gift for. So the obvious hurt is that the ones needing shepherding the most, the young and immature ones among us, are only receiving bits and pieces of the gift. And that is where the biggest need is at.

The fact that the gift has so been so mutilated brings it to a point that it really does not even function as a gift anymore. Oh sure, we still claim it does, but the ones who are so called "pastors" will usually delegate the actual 'pastoring' out to people who do not even have the gift. In the particular denomination I am in, the true pastoring role is laid upon the shoulders of deacons.

Whats crazy is that the way we pick deacons is simply according to 1 Timothy. I have to really wonder if it even has anything to do with the person being gifted by God in that area. Based on the condition of the fellowship, I would have to truthfully lean to saying no.

But is it any wonder? If we are so confused about what gift is what, and more concerned with who does what, then we loose all sight of the One who supplies the strength and power to 'grow the body'. We take it upon ourselves to get it done.

Lets face it. Its a cold hard fact that its all about control. That is what it is all about, who is going to be in charge. Because what that does is give us the security of someone to 'fall back on' when things go wrong. A scape goat. And what is sad is half of 'pastors' take this upon themselves as a sense of martyrdom. People are obsessed with prestige and honor, even when we have to sacrifice the 'insignificant' ones among us.

What is sad is those are the VERY ones that the PASTOR is supposed to watch over.

Mat 18:12 What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray?

But oh no. We can't have the "Pastor" being bothered with the insignificant things. He has a lot of other responsibilities that are more important. But guess what. If the person who is gifted in teaching would stand up, then maybe the pastor would have some more time. And the person with the gift of leading, given the opportunity they could really lead.

Just some things to think about.

Great thread Nathan! Your comments about the gift is spot on. The fact of the matter is that from th outside looking in, no one should be able to identify those who are pastoring without first observing the congregation. There is no need to place titles of pastor, reverend, etc. on those doing the work of shepharding to identify and glorify them. The glory goes to the Christ and it is his body that benefits when those pastoring are actively using that gift to oversee and shephard.

yes Josh. thank you. I do understand what you are saying. And it makes complete sense. I agree completely with the above description, in fact, it is a very good example of the person and the function of a particular gift.

To add to it, then we can use the same analogy with 'pastor'.

Gift=nurturing
Office=shepherd

It is clear when we look at what a 'shepherd' is that we see the function of what he does. There is a good reason why God gives the gift this name.

The problem we have is that we have tried to go back to OT times to describe what 'roles' each person is supposed to play. And that is exactly what is wrong with the whole idea of the pastor. Instead of looking at the perfect example Christ gives us, we look to what Christ destroyed with His death on the cross. He was constantly trying to get people to understand their 'traditions' were a misconception of what God's purpose for His people is.

This is not found any clearly said then when two of His disciples really wanted to 'excel' at being an disciple and approached Jesus about it. The desire was a 'good one', just like what Paul says in 1Timothy, but the fact is that only God can determine who 'gets' what. So, Paul lays out the description of what an 'overseer' and 'minister' looks like so that they will not be fooled by people who come along desiring to be in positions of authority.

And so also, Jesus makes it EXTREMELY clear that those who God does decide to 'gift' in certain areas should NOT think of the gifts as authority like we normally do. But rather they should use the gift to serve even more.

Great. I'm glad we can agree on a common understanding of this. So though, I want to understand more about what you are getting at. I get the idea of how tradition might sometimes be viewed as "bad" in a sense, and how we may unnecessarily make "carefully defined roles" out of naturally more liberal gifts. However I do no think, if that is the idea, that we can however just say that making a role or office for particular ones who have a gift (often as leaders) is necessarily wrong. Lol, if you have been around me long you know that I'm one always to advocate a balance or some middle-ground. Traditions are not always bad, men can make good traditions. An interesting case in point is the observance of the festival of Purim (in Esther) which the Jews enacted on their own accord (was not a feast commanded by God or in the Law) and which also Jesus attended in Jerusalem in the Gospel of John. The people decided to make their own traditional observance which was honoring something good. But I'm not wanting to go off on that particular tangent.

I don't think that a move in the Churches to "remove the pastorate" is going to be a good one. We could end up with aimless (even anarchic) crowds of Christians with no leader (or others vieing for leadership among themselves - fair game for wolves among the sheep). I think that anyone would admit that leadership is needed in the Church and the Apostles were a good role model for that. Now sure, if the criticism needs to be leveled that "pastors" should exercise more of their Scriptural Pastoral duty and not so much on traditions of Sunday/Wednesday oratory sermons and Baptist potlucks (certainly refered to in secret circles, and christened, as "lovefeasts" ;) j/k) then so be it. But actually having some heirarchy in the Church and appointed roles is scriptural (see further below about my point concerning the epistle of Titus).

In my mind (is there a grain of salt emoticon around here?), I think some come from backgrounds where their Church has had lots of problems and half-hearted pastors, and others actually had a good experience of godly, biblical, and humble pastors who understand that their highest calling is to infact literally be a 'minister' who serves/ministers to others (just as Jesus washed his disciples' feet), and not just on Sundays and Wednesdays, but is one who prays and intercedes for his flock/congregation, goes to visit the sick in the hospitals, and to "visit orphans and widows in their trouble" which is the "pure and undefiled religion before God" (James 1:27). Those with the bad experiences see, indeed, that their pastors are not following a biblical model and become "disenfranchised" with those in the pulpit (and sometimes leave the church altogether as a result - contra the sound wisdom of Hebrews 10:25), while those with better experiences may rather greatly respect those in the pulpit who truly minister to their people.

The issue is to not throw out the baby with the bath water. I have been to both types of Churches. My issue is not against pastors or the pulpit, but whether one who preaches or teaches or otherwise shepherds the flock is living a sincere life toward God. But guess what, aside from cases of abuse in which we (the church) must intervene to maintain good order in the house of God, God alone stands as their judge and those who preach and teach are held accountable to a stricter standard. The standard is established by God because he wants people in His body to exercise such gifts but because of its manifest importance he will judge those that wrongfully lead the body astray. Nonetheless this only points all the more to how much stock God puts into those gifts and roles in the body, and even leadership.

My grandparents' Church also has adopted a good model of letting others in the congregation, and outside of our church, speak often so that it is not always our head Pastor speaking. Men and women have given messages, and pastors from other Churches which they partner with, share messages to all of God's people (the universal Church, united in the Spirit). So I have had the good fortune of seeing in the Church the freedom of the exercise of the gifts and allowing equally the different members/limbs of the body to minister according to the gift given them. I also (and who am I, but one who loves Christ?) have even been invited to preach on a Sunday before (at a different Church). So it's not so much a focus on a 'traditional': "We must have a single pastor, he must lead us (as if we did not have Christ as a shepherd), and he must preach to us every week!" That honestly is the lazy, 'pew-sitter' philosophy of many in the Church.

And one last dwelling on the value of leadership and roles in the body, and even the 'roles' that all individual members in the body play, and not just being "pew-sitters" (and also I think that deacons classify in this area too - which is a position/office/role in the Church - which is a word which literally means 'servant'):

In Phillipians 4:8 Paul leaves us with some positive things to dwell on in the body so that we would be edified and built up together: "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." These same virtues of honor, purity, and being of 'good repute' are all qualities that Paul wants to be exhibited especially in the leadership of the Church (particularly elders) but also of course in everyone - which he elaborates on in detail in Titus. A simple quote will not do justice to everything Titus says here (just read the whole epistle) but Paul says in that epistle, "in all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach, so that the opponent will be put to shame, having nothing bad to say about us." These are the things which we, for anyone exemplary that we see in the body of Christ (young, old, male, female), should praise them and "dwell on these things" of "good repute" done in the body, as Paul said, so that all may "praise your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16) for the good they see.

And though this applied to all those in the Church, there are yet set roles for some as examples to lead the rest. Elders are good example (and if you want a more biblical model for the church then every church should have recognized elders [and I don't mean elderly people "attending" ;)] - which Baptist churches [my background] do not typically have). Paul said to Titus that he should "set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you" (Titus 1:5). We could apply this in principal to the gift of pastorship (whether you have one or several pastors - some churches have many), and the elders are also supposed to be there for accountability of the pastors of the flock.

Anyway, I feel that this had been almost a "buck-shot" post (:biggrin) in which I have tried to hit on many topics so hopefully one hit its target (and unfortunately buck shot is far less effective against a metal anchor than an unsuspecting buck in a field Nathan ;) ... er.... not that I was aiming at you.... and is likely to ricochet back at me [yay, for bad jokes!]). I hope at least some part of it hit on a relevant topic, and if not then fetch me a grain of salt emoticon! :)

God Bless,

~Josh

Well I would love to share everything on my heart, but at this moment I am confined to a screen the size of a credit card. Lol. It does not make for good typing.

But I could not leave without making a few comments. First and foremost I do NOT think a removal of the 'pastorate' is what is needed. What I wholly believe is that an accurate representation of it is needed. Some would think it would be almost a full removal, and while it would mean a lot of things we know would change, it does not mean it would be unbiblical.

That's the point. To get back to a biblical use of the gifts. God does not need our 'help' to keep things in order, but He has given us free will to make our own choices. And so we have, but our choices do not represent those early examples of what His body used to look like.

Some might say that it is impossible to do things the way they used too, and it is when we do not want too. That is free will at it's finest...err...ugliest. I still believe we can come closer to a biblical use of gifts. If we went for 1500 years in one direction and then all of a sudden changed 'for the better', why can't we do it again?

I don't think that a move in the Churches to "remove the pastorate" is going to be a good one. We could end up with aimless (even anarchic) crowds of Christians with no leader (or others vieing for leadership among themselves - fair game for wolves among the sheep). I think that anyone would admit that leadership is needed in the Church and the Apostles were a good role model for that. Now sure, if the criticism needs to be leveled that "pastors" should exercise more of their Scriptural Pastoral duty and not so much on traditions of Sunday/Wednesday oratory sermons and Baptist potlucks (certainly refered to in secret circles, and christened, as "lovefeasts" ;) j/k) then so be it. But actually having some heirarchy in the Church and appointed roles is scriptural (see further below about my point concerning the epistle of Titus).

In my mind (is there a grain of salt emoticon around here?), I think some come from backgrounds where their Church has had lots of problems and half-hearted pastors, and others actually had a good experience of godly, biblical, and humble pastors who understand that their highest calling is to infact literally be a 'minister' who serves/ministers to others (just as Jesus washed his disciples' feet), and not just on Sundays and Wednesdays, but is one who prays and intercedes for his flock/congregation, goes to visit the sick in the hospitals, and to "visit orphans and widows in their trouble" which is the "pure and undefiled religion before God" (James 1:27). Those with the bad experiences see, indeed, that their pastors are not following a biblical model and become "disenfranchised" with those in the pulpit (and sometimes leave the church altogether as a result - contra the sound wisdom of Hebrews 10:25), while those with better experiences may rather greatly respect those in the pulpit who truly minister to their people.

The issue is to not throw out the baby with the bath water. I have been to both types of Churches. My issue is not against pastors or the pulpit, but whether one who preaches or teaches or otherwise shepherds the flock is living a sincere life toward God. But guess what, aside from cases of abuse in which we (the church) must intervene to maintain good order in the house of God, God alone stands as their judge and those who preach and teach are held accountable to a stricter standard. The standard is established by God because he wants people in His body to exercise such gifts but because of its manifest importance he will judge those that wrongfully lead the body astray. Nonetheless this only points all the more to how much stock God puts into those gifts and roles in the body, and even leadership.

"We must have a single pastor, he must lead us (as if we did not have Christ as a shepherd), and he must preach to us every week!" That honestly is the lazy, 'pew-sitter' philosophy of many in the Church.

EXCELLENT POINT!!!

And one last dwelling on the value of leadership and roles in the body, and even the 'roles' that all individual members in the body play, and not just being "pew-sitters" (and also I think that deacons classify in this area too - which is a position/office/role in the Church - which is a word which literally means 'servant'):

And though this applied to all those in the Church, there are yet set roles for some as examples to lead the rest. Elders are good example (and if you want a more biblical model for the church then every church should have recognized elders [and I don't mean elderly people "attending" ;)] - which Baptist churches [my background] do not typically have). Paul said to Titus that he should "set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you" (Titus 1:5). We could apply this in principal to the gift of pastorship (whether you have one or several pastors - some churches have many), and the elders are also supposed to be there for accountability of the pastors of the flock.

~Josh

You hit on a number of issues Josh. I agree that among the flock, there is a need for shephards, but the pastorate that is in modern christendom hardly fits the bill. The pastorate is virtually extrabiblical and is thus unnecessary. There should never be a situation where a congregation allows or makes themselves subject to a single individual not named Jesus. In scripture there was ALWAYS a plurality of elders who did the work of shepharding local congregations. Some were involved in proclaiming the good message and teaching while others simply led "behind the scenes" by their excellent examples of christian living.
To me, the fact that there is a "need" or perceived need in the local church to have a localized preacher is saddening. As christians, we are the preachers and proclaimers of the Lord's righteousness as we run our daily race as living sacrifices holy and acceptable to God. We have the revealed Word of God, so little is needed as for as having someone stand before a collection of US frequently to deliver God's Word to us. We must study ourselves approved, the preacher (who really all of us should be) should be focused on the spreading Jesus' to the world, not "sermonizing" the saints. There should be no "church serrvice" where 100s to 1000s of people sit silently while ONE MAN shares a monologue. Open discussion, asking and answering questions, and group fellowship should instead be what our gatherings are about.

Hi :)

An apostle simply means "he who is sent"

First I must clarify that there are more than twelve apostles in the Bible. I think there maybe more than 20 mentioned Its the translators that throws us off, because they translated the same word in different ways.

Since this thread is speaking of office vs gift, I hope it is ok to ask this question here.
There were 13 people who held the Office of Apostle and I am sure we can agree on this, but here you are saying there were more. My question is, didn't the other people have the spiritual gift of apostleship and did not hold the Office of Apostle?

I am thinking of people like James, Timothy, Apollo, Barnabas, would these be some of the people you would refer to as apostles? as in the Office? To me, I see these as having the spiritual gift and not being called into the Office of Apostle.
Thanks.

You hit on a number of issues Josh. I agree that among the flock, there is a need for shephards, but the pastorate that is in modern christendom hardly fits the bill. The pastorate is virtually extrabiblical and is thus unnecessary. There should never be a situation where a congregation allows or makes themselves subject to a single individual not named Jesus. In scripture there was ALWAYS a plurality of elders who did the work of shepharding local congregations. Some were involved in proclaiming the good message and teaching while others simply led "behind the scenes" by their excellent examples of christian living.
To me, the fact that there is a "need" or perceived need in the local church to have a localized preacher is saddening. As christians, we are the preachers and proclaimers of the Lord's righteousness as we run our daily race as living sacrifices holy and acceptable to God. We have the revealed Word of God, so little is needed as for as having someone stand before a collection of US frequently to deliver God's Word to us. We must study ourselves approved, the preacher (who really all of us should be) should be focused on the spreading Jesus' to the world, not "sermonizing" the saints. There should be no "church serrvice" where 100s to 1000s of people sit silently while ONE MAN shares a monologue. Open discussion, asking and answering questions, and group fellowship should instead be what our gatherings are about.

I think this is where my heart really is. Leadership is shared. What this does is allow the pastor to focus on the individuals. It also keeps any one person from getting 'burned out'. And last but not least it keeps people acountable in a non-confrontational way.

When the focus is taken off one man, people are more likely to speak up. They are more likely to get involved. And problems are more likely to be resolved instead of hidden.

The simple fact that small group settings produce a more intimate fellowship should give us a hint. Small groups encourage everyone to be involved by there very nature. Large groups, on the other hand, by there nature foster seclusion and passiveness.

So is it wrong for a 'church' to be large? NO. There are good examples in the NT that have large groups. The simple fact is that the modern day role of the pastor requires large gatherings, but it is simply not needed. EXCEPT that in order for one man to be in control there has to be a large gathering. Otherwise disention can erupt.

This should give us some clue as to why we do the things we do, the way we do them. If one way fosters growth of the individual, then why do we choose the way that fosters control of the individual?

Since this thread is speaking of office vs gift, I hope it is ok to ask this question here.
There were 13 people who held the Office of Apostle and I am sure we can agree on this, but here you are saying there were more. My question is, didn't the other people have the spiritual gift of apostleship and did not hold the Office of Apostle?

I am thinking of people like James, Timothy, Apollo, Barnabas, would these be some of the people you would refer to as apostles? as in the Office? To me, I see these as having the spiritual gift and not being called into the Office of Apostle.
Thanks.

Your asking in the right place. This goes right along with the topic on hand. The whole thought process behind this is that man has conceived of 'offices' while God's way is gifts. We draw a distinction when there is none. But we do so in order to assign predominance to some and withhold it from others.

This should give us some clue as to why we do the things we do, the way we do them. If one way fosters growth of the individual, then why do we choose the way that fosters control of the individual?

Maybe because it's easier for people to be told what to do than to think for themselves, and it's easier just to sit there and let someone else do all the work.

We don't have to chose that way, there are other fellowships going strong outside of the church buildings.

Your asking in the right place. This goes right along with the topic on hand. The whole thought process behind this is that man has conceived of 'offices' while God's way is gifts. We draw a distinction when there is none. But we do so in order to assign predominance to some and withhold it from others.

I don't want to stir the pot, but it does appear from the NT, there is a distinction between an office and being given a spiritual gift. Paul held the office of Apostle. My question to Cornelius was asking if Timothy held the office of Apostle, because I think he rather held the office of Pastor or an Evangilist, but I'm not sure.

There should be no "church serrvice" where 100s to 1000s of people sit silently while ONE MAN shares a monologue. Open discussion, asking and answering questions, and group fellowship should instead be what our gatherings are about.

I completely agree with this. The more I look at the NT church as well as the OT temple, this is exactly what I see. It really seems to me the church is the Body of Believers interacting and looking after each other individually each day. And there is also a place for where they can gather as a community of Believers where they openly discuss God`s Word, pray, and just fellowship together. It seems to me this fellowship was probably rather noisy.

I don't want to stir the pot, but it does appear from the NT, there is a distinction between an office and being given a spiritual gift. Paul held the office of Apostle. My question to Cornelius was asking if Timothy held the office of Apostle, because I think he rather held the office of Pastor or an Evangilist, but I'm not sure.

I understand. But where do you believe it makes the distinction? Think about it this way. You are a believer because God gave you the ability to believe. You were given faith. You also have a position in the church, His body. Now are some given faith to believe but not given a "position" in the body?

That seems rediculous, but it's what we say. God gives the gift to those who He also places. That way He is in control of everything. Making a distinction between the position and the ability means we are choosing for ourselves what we think is best.

:) Amen. We are not an organization , we are a...........body ! Christ's body. We are His chosen vessel in which He moves on this planet at this moment. We do not have a starting time nor a finishing time. And yes the men are out of order as you have pointed out.But so are the women who have taken authority over the men.

We are community . You are correct about this being so every day. We are a "new creation" , we the many, represent the One. We cannot "go" to church because we are the church. When two of us are together the Body of Christ is there ! Jesus said : I am there in the midst of them.

C

I`m glad to find someone else who thinks this way, but then the question comes how do we redirect the church back to being a body rather than operating as a once/twice a week organization? It seems like an overwhelming if not impossible task to accomplish.

I understand. But where do you believe it makes the distinction? Think about it this way. You are a believer because God gave you the ability to believe. You were given faith. You also have a position in the church, His body. Now are some given faith to believe but not given a "position" in the body?

That seems rediculous, but it's what we say. God gives the gift to those who He also places. That way He is in control of everything. Making a distinction between the position and the ability means we are choosing for ourselves what we think is best.
Yes, I agree, this is what has happened it seems in the church building, but it's not the way it was supposed to be.

We know the Body of Christ is everywhere and it is not limited to the space of a building, we are not supposed to be in the building, we are supposed to BE the Church. In order for the Body to operate we must have people who are teaching us, pastoring us, evangilizing for Christ, being apostles and prophets, for the perfecting of the saints. There are also gifts God gives to people to serve one another. That is the dinstinction I believe.

I think you are seeing what I saw a couple of years ago and started asking questions, and the church officials do not like to be questioned, they don't like their traditions to be questioned, especially at the age I was, they thought I was a rebel and maybe I was, but it just didn't seem right.

So I do agree with you, but you do not have to stay in the "church system".

I am also learning about this, you are bringing up alot of good questions and I appreciate that, this way we can all learn.

QUOTE]

But the problem is how do you leave the church system but still maintain fellowship AND function as a Body as God designed us to function, meaning having personal, face to face contact and relationships with one another while ministering to one another with our gifts?

I definitely agree with you and understand what you are saying. I have also been to dead churches that died because of such a situation. Would it surprise you though to hear that though I take all those criteria seriously that I yet have found a Church recently that I find to be well-shepherded and filled with the Spirit? I would suppose not, but I know that wasn't quite your point. However this is a Church which had humble origins and grew out of meeting in someone's living room and over time grew more and more because God blessed it. And it has not one pastor but almost near 10 pastors in various aspects of the Church ministry which however do all get to preach and (beyond just sermons) serve in teaching, instructing, and leading God's people in prayer. They have started an inner-city ministry to feed almost 1,000 homeless and poor people a week called Manna House, which I may be come involved in eventually. And as I recently went through the membership program they took very seriously the responsibility to lay out the Church's mission and doctrine, as the body well has a right to know, and I also was overwhelmed with the ministry opportunities that were available and they urge every member to be involved, and not just to fill a seat (that's where the 'pew-sitter' point came from: their stong emphasis on not being one :)).

There are at least 20 different ministry opportunities (one of the most interesting and yet non-glamourous of them being the parking ministry [as important, yet 'menial', a task as Acts 6:2-4]- who sacrificially help [for over an hour total for all the servicies] everyone pack into the parking lot of the old grocery store that the Church was built inside of - possibly an old Walmart - whether it is subzero temperatures or not, and graciously deal with grumpy drivers, so as to not even give the enemy any opportunity to give someone who may be on the fence about going to Church for the first time an excuse to say "Oh well, I guess its just too hard to get into this Church, I think I'll just go to the bar down the street and get a drink instead" [and if that doesn't make sense then you would just have to see our inner-city church and see the challenging, over-crowded parking situation for yourself - people will park in alley ways, the adjacent Staples parking lot, and on the grass behind the Church just to get to one of the services]) which are ministries for everyone to get plugged into and there is a strong emphasis on evangelism and serving others.

Most of all the head pastor (who started the Church which grew out of his livingroom) is one who understands his role in the church, and he rather straight forwardly said a few weeks ago that we have to get up out of the sanctuary and apply the truth we learn, and he said rather pointedly "I am not your spiritual feeder!" (half the crowd remained silent and the rest clapped in agreement) and said we are not to be dependant on him (I've heard many preachers emphasizing this lately because they are getting sick of the do-nothing Church situation that many churches have fallen into these days) but must rely only on God for our spiritual nurturing. He said he has a calling to instruct us but we are not to come on Sunday to be "fed" by him, that's not what he is there for. I like our head pastor because he understand his role, he has the loving heart of a servant, and he also has spiritual discernment (a few times I have seen him stop what he is saying, in the middle of a sermon, to take up an immediate prayer burden for some issue or situation in someone present's life that needs prayer and have been amazed to see people stand or raise their hand to say the issue put on his heart to pray for was for them specifically - and are remarkably accurate/non-general - indicating a word of knowledge).

But also the house of God is surely to be a house of prayer, not so much just a house of preaching, and we recently went through a 21-day fast during which we fasted and prayed. I fasted 3 days at a time for 3 weeks, but with everyone that participated (however much time they dedicated to it), the meeting for prayer at the very end corporately (attended by 20 or so other pastors and attendants of other churches all throughout our city) was incredibly powerful. I felt spiritual many burdens broken and the spirit of intercession hit us all corporately. We began with a Daniel-like prayer confessing the sins of God's people and asking that He would grant us repentance, and then we began interceding on behalf of our city, our schools, our military, our nation, and also what holds it all together/undergirds it: our families. It was an incredible time of prayer for about 2 hours that last day, although I also prayed on my own throughout the duration of the fast.

Maybe I would just have to call this Church an 'exception' (if you like), because I think they really understand their place and strongly emphasise ministry of every individual. And especially since they chose to be an inner-city church there are lots of outreaches to the surrounding communities, knocking on doors, praying for people, feeding the homeless through Manna House, and traveling to college campuses (something I may get involved in soon I hope), etc. I feel that God has led me to this Church at this time for a reason, and the pastorate is balanced there and beyond the 10 or so pastors they already have, they allow a multitude of other people come and speak to God's people. They also keep the necessary checks & balances, where if someone speaks to God's people a personal word then the others must evaluate it (just as with prophesy where it must be judged). I guess what I'm saying is that I think I have found a very scripturally based Church. Sure, I may like my own share of 'doom-saying' as much as the next guy, I suppose, about how degraded the passions of the Church have become (a favorite topic of some), in order to try to wake it up though (not for the sake of only doom-saying - which would be useless and possibly hypocritical), but I don't like doing this to the exclusion of saying that there are no good churches out there.

The real question with all this is: what are you going to do about it? Anyone can participate in idle chat. How are you going to impact and change your church/believer community for the better to bring them closer to the edifying body that Christ intended it to be? I don't like standing back and judging at a comfortable distance. I haven't had the opportunity to ever become a Church member (which is really an unselfish commitment to serve that body no matter the trials or circumstances) while going through high school and then through college, because of my age and because of all the moving around every few years, but now that I've started a life on my own I'm ready to get plugged in, fired up, and get my hands dirty (in a good sense - as if laboring in a garden or field) in serving along with my Church the community and our fellow saints.

As I said to Nathan before, I always seek balance. I'm not going to disagree with you that the Church's situation throughout America and even throughout the World seems to be in dire need of some sort of Spirit-infusion (do Ezekiel's dry bones come to mind?) to bring the life of Christ back into them. Nonetheless, there are still shining lights out there and Satan's kingdom of darkness does not engulf all things on this earth. We are the light of the world, so let your light shine before men that they may glorify your Father who is in heaven. I like focusing on the positive things, even if all the while we bear the burden to carry that same light to the unreached, the unbelievers, and even to other Spirit-quenched Churches that suffer from lethary and dryness. But I have a hope (not a wish but a founded and promised hope) that Christ will take up residence in us if we will believe in Him and that His Spirit will guide us into all truth.

God Bless,

~Josh

QUOTE]

But the problem is how do you leave the church system but still maintain fellowship AND function as a Body as God designed us to function, meaning having personal, face to face contact and relationships with one another while ministering to one another with our gifts?

I have left the church system many years ago. Now I am part of a fellowship of believers that have naturally grown together. We still are not the perfect community , meaning we live too far apart. We have personal face to face contact every week on a Wednesday evening. We break bread together, baptize people, share the Word and allow for the Holy Spirit to minister through the gifts.
Most of these people come out of non Spirit-filled denominations and the Holy Spirit and His gifts are foreign to them. But the Lord has now baptized them in the Holy Spirit and some are manifesting the gifts. We fellowship with other groups too, because we are not a denomination, we are just part of the church as a whole.

Its interesting to see how the people start ministering to each other if you just leave them alone. We have some that are more evangelistic and they love reaching out.We have one man who is more pastoral in his caring for people, but he cannot teach. We have some who reach out to others by distributing DVDs and CDs for free . We have somebody who teaches etc. We are in contact with real elders who were called and we submit to them . If we have problems, we ask for advice from them and they always help. We have people who dream dreams and we have those gifted in interpretation of dreams and visions too. God has performed many miracles in this group too. Many people have been physically healed by the Lord through the laying on of hands and the prayer of faith.

I also find it interesting that the group is developing a need to be together on a different level. Once a week is not enough. There is real love amongst us and a need to see each other on a more permanent basis.

Back