Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

It's not a question of liberal or conservative...it's a question of what a person wishes to represent to the world in which they live each and everyday. As a Christian, it is our responsibility to live our lives for Christ in such a way that influences others and does not deter others. In some cultures, piercing is a normal rite. In other cultures, it is seen as something negative. Therefore, a person must evaluate the world they live in and determine what is best to do in order to live the Christian testimony most effectively.

It's not a question of liberal or conservative...it's a question of what a person wishes to represent to the world in which they live each and everyday. As a Christian, it is our responsibility to live our lives for Christ in such a way that influences others and does not deter others. In some cultures, piercing is a normal rite. In other cultures, it is seen as something negative. Therefore, a person must evaluate the world they live in and determine what is best to do in order to live the Christian testimony most effectively.

j2009:

While some of what you say is true, generally speaking, the fact is that many Christian young men have pierced their ears and in the Bible, albeit in special circumstances, the image of the bondservant with the pierced ear is so striking that it's hard for anyone to claim that it's inherently somehow unethical or unbiblical.

As a matter of personal taste, it really remains subjective.

Blessings.

I dont hink the act itself is liberal.

I don't care for it but if its aha you want to do go for it however there are specific physical characteristics that usually go hand in had withe your political views. I dont think it is a reflection on the parents at all because kids can be rebellious. I don't think all guys who have their ear pierced are liberal however most guys I se that are liberal dress kind of trashy and don't care how they look and want the cool unusual look as conservatives and libertarians care how the look and want to display an intelligent strong image and shows self respect. If I se a guy with his ear pierced I can be pretty safe in assuming he is a liberal.

I wear what makes me comfortable and let others decide whether its appropriate, not that I'll take much notice from 99% of them.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I dont hink the act itself is liberal.

I don't care for it but if its aha you want to do go for it however there are specific physical characteristics that usually go hand in had withe your political views. I dont think it is a reflection on the parents at all because kids can be rebellious. I don't think all guys who have their ear pierced are liberal however most guys I se that are liberal dress kind of trashy and don't care how they look and want the cool unusual look as conservatives and libertarians care how the look and want to display an intelligent strong image and shows self respect. If I se a guy with his ear pierced I can be pretty safe in assuming he is a liberal.

americanfighter:

Well, I'm not sure, anyway. A lot of male Christian rock musicians have them, and (never mind about politics but) doctrinally their lyrics can be pretty conservative about faith in the Lord.

americanfighter:

Well, I'm not sure, anyway. A lot of male Christian rock musicians have them, and (never mind about politics but) doctrinally their lyrics can be pretty conservative about faith in the Lord.

yeah well when you get into the hollywood center stage type environment all theory are off the table. Remember christian or not they are performers trying to create a unique recognizable characters. However I feel My theory is right in everyday settings at least by my experience. Like I said there are always exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.

yeah well when you get into the hollywood center stage type environment all theory are off the table. Remember christian or not they are performers trying to create a unique recognizable characters. However I feel My theory is right in everyday settings at least by my experience. Like I said there are always exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.

americanfighter:

Depends on the job environment, too, I guess.

Though where I live, it seems quite flexible; women working for banks even have their tattoos visible and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

But, yes, men often do remove their earrings in a formal business environment.

Re: Earlobe enlargements: who has them/ would consider them?

I don't have anything against it, but it's just not for me.

questdriven:

Do you think plugs or moderate gauging can look nice on some people (whether it's people you know, or don't know)?

Blessings.

Re: Stud, ring or pendant in ears: which?

questdriven:

Easier to wear headphones with, right?

Blessings.
I'd suppose so. Especially since I love my MP3 player so much, and I'm really thinking I ought to quit using earbud headphones. (They kinda gross me out, for one thing, because they get ear wax all over them. And for another, they have to be increasing some risk of ear infections.)

I'd suppose so. Especially since I love my MP3 player so much, and I'm really thinking I ought to quit using earbud headphones. (They kinda gross me out, for one thing, because they get ear wax all over them. And for another, they have to be increasing some risk of ear infections.)

questdriven:

Well, things like ear piercing all take a bit of planning, right?

Blessings.

PS, from earlier
Yeah, I'd like to at some point. Sooner or later.

questdriven: Yes well I think that for a boy or young man, as well as for a girl or young woman, the wish to have studs or little rings pushed through the earlobes is a rather subjective and personal one, but it's not an unreasonable preference, and if for under-18s the parents say it's okay, then I don't see a problem. Blessings.

I wear either small studs or small rings depending on my mood. I'm a guy (6-1, 210 pounds) and attend a Vineyard church. It's more casual than the traditional churches. Every now and then someone will frown on it, but I just "kill them with kindness" and ignore them. I am involved in 2 small groups and several ministries. The pastors are fine with it and so are most of the people.

I wear either small studs or small rings depending on my mood. I'm a guy (6-1, 210 pounds) and attend a Vineyard church. It's more casual than the traditional churches. Every now and then someone will frown on it, but I just "kill them with kindness" and ignore them. I am involved in 2 small groups and several ministries. The pastors are fine with it and so are most of the people.

Dave: Interesting, so how would define a stud mood or a ring mood? (if I've understood you correctly?)

Thanks for your comment.

Blessings.

Good question. I will generally wear the rings when I'm feeling more at ease, or laid back and the studs when I'm feeling more competitive, determined. I guess that's the way I wanted to put it.

Good question. I will generally wear the rings when I'm feeling more at ease, or laid back and the studs when I'm feeling more competitive, determined. I guess that's the way I wanted to put it.

Dave: Interesting; ty. Come to think of it, makes a lot of sense. Like, if you're at ease, you'll feel good about rings that even dangle a bit, guess.

Whereas studs by nature need to be taut, with the clasp firmly against the pierced lobes, a kind of functional 'determination', I guess.

(If this makes sense? I reckon you never regret having had them pierced, anyway.)

I haven't worn my earrings for a while, though, actually.

Blessings.

Yea, I have only been saved about 8 years. I didn't attend church before being saved. My life style had nothing to do with church. So when I got saved I wondered if I should even wear them. I noticed that a few of the guys wore them, so I asked one of the pastors and he said "that is totally between you and God". So I started wearing them again. I attend a Vineyard Church and they are a little progressive than some and we run about 900 people.

Yea, I have only been saved about 8 years. I didn't attend church before being saved. My life style had nothing to do with church. So when I got saved I wondered if I should even wear them.

Dave H:

Interesting; so why do you think this was, that you wondered this?

I noticed that a few of the guys wore them, so I asked one of the pastors and he said "that is totally between you and God". So I started wearing them again. I attend a Vineyard Church and they are a little progressive than some and we run about 900 people.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that they did, anyway.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back